What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (14 Viewers)

Win-and-in, playoffs start week 17. Wouldn't have asked for any more 4 months ago. I get why they would, but I hope the squeelers don't rest anyone. 

i hope they rest everyone, as they should... if the bills win tonight, theyd be silly to put starters in for seemingly nothing (unless im wrong that theyre locked into their spot)

sure, beating them fullstrength would be lovely... but i just want in. 

i hope they rest everyone, as they should... if the bills win tonight, theyd be silly to put starters in for seemingly nothing (unless im wrong that theyre locked into their spot)
I don't think this is true.  Steelers are guaranteed a top 3 seed but could get the 2 seed.  If (big if) the Bills win tonight, Bills and Steelers will both be 12-3.  Bills have tiebreaker so would clinch 2 seed with a week 17 win or a Browns week 17 win.  Steelers would need a week 17 win over the Browns, plus a Bills week 17 loss, to get the 2 seed. 

I don't think this is true.  Steelers are guaranteed a top 3 seed but could get the 2 seed.  If (big if) the Bills win tonight, Bills and Steelers will both be 12-3.  Bills have tiebreaker so would clinch 2 seed with a week 17 win or a Browns week 17 win.  Steelers would need a week 17 win over the Browns, plus a Bills week 17 loss, to get the 2 seed. 
While I am sure the Steelers would like to win next week and potentially get the #2 seed it does not come with a bye as in previous years.  Everything I have read is they are banged up and a bit weary unit after playing 12 weeks in a row and after a stretch of playing 3 games in 12 days.  The only way they get a "bye" is to rest their starters next week and I think they will do so depending on the extent of injuries and depth available at the position.

So get ready to face the Mason Rudolph led Steelers next week and a defense without Watt, Heyward, Haden and a few others. 

While I am sure the Steelers would like to win next week and potentially get the #2 seed it does not come with a bye as in previous years.  Everything I have read is they are banged up and a bit weary unit after playing 12 weeks in a row and after a stretch of playing 3 games in 12 days.  The only way they get a "bye" is to rest their starters next week and I think they will do so depending on the extent of injuries and depth available at the position.

So get ready to face the Mason Rudolph led Steelers next week and a defense without Watt, Heyward, Haden and a few others. 
i agree, it doesn’t seem like there’s much advantage to being the 2 seed vs the 3 seed.  

I'm more than ready for the backups!  I did not want this game to mean anything for Pitt unlike what seems to be a small majority of fans (not necessarily on here).  Can't see Tomlin playing Ben and others risking potential injury only for the possibility of getting another home game (unless I'm missing another benefit).

What do you think about the potential rematch a week later and how that plays into things?

Fatigue, lack of a bye this season, and playing next week no matter what is why I'm wary everyone plays. I want them to because I think future us would benefit, win-or-lose. And since we aren't ring chasing this year I think that's best.

BROWNS PLAYOFFS HOPES (after week 16)

1) Win v Steelers

or

2) IND loss (v JAX)

or

3) TEN loss (v HOU)
Too bad the Raiders blew that game.  Miami losing to Buffalo would have been reasonable.

Also what sucks is if the Browns win they will still likely be the #7 seed as opposed to being #5 seed had they won both last week and this week.

If Browns finish #7 seed they would be playing at Buffalo if Buffalo wins tonight.  If Buffalo loses tonight and Miami beats Buffalo as well it be Browns at Steelers in the 1st round should Browns win week 17.

i agree, it doesn’t seem like there’s much advantage to being the 2 seed vs the 3 seed.  
Well the 1 advantage is the team that is the 2 seed is the home team vs the 3 seed assuming both win the 1st round.  Now maybe in a year like this it is not as appealing but still you rather play home than away.

Will Buffalo rest their guys next week vs Miami ?  Maybe Buffalo doesn't care about the 2 seed and they gift wrap Miami a win.

Well the 1 advantage is the team that is the 2 seed is the home team vs the 3 seed assuming both win the 1st round.  Now maybe in a year like this it is not as appealing but still you rather play home than away.
Yes I think every team would rather not travel but in the case of Pittsburgh/Buffalo, neither will have fans in the stands and the two cities are only 40 minutes by air.

Who would you rather have played ?  If Browns do win they will be playing at Buffalo for playoffs.

If Browns had beat Jets and Steelers they would have had the #5 seed and most likely at Tennessee (or at Indy)

Who would you rather have played ?  If Browns do win they will be playing at Buffalo for playoffs.

If Browns had beat Jets and Steelers they would have had the #5 seed and most likely at Tennessee (or at Indy)
Oh and not to mention the possible worst part about being #7 seed.  Should the Browns somehow beat Buffalo they would then play Kansas City where if they were #5 seed and won the 1st round if Baltimore as #6 seed won it be Baltimore playing Kansas City.

Pretty sure your #3 is not accurate.

3) TEN loss + MIA win or tie + BAL win or tie
could be, i took it from a CLE reporter on twitter (had a blue check, so assumed it was accurate)

anyways... it's basically win or out anyways... TEN or IND losing to those teams is a near impossibility.

Oh and not to mention the possible worst part about being #7 seed.  Should the Browns somehow beat Buffalo they would then play Kansas City where if they were #5 seed and won the 1st round if Baltimore as #6 seed won it be Baltimore playing Kansas City.
Who cares. A single playoff win is more than any of us could have asked for this season. And we aren't winning a title anyway. 

I'd be giddy going to KC.

Sure, we have an easily penetrable defense (although disruptive at times), but when the offense is clicking we can put up points and hang around.  We have the Tennessee feel of last year, imo.  But we gotta get in.

I'd be giddy going to KC.

Sure, we have an easily penetrable defense (although disruptive at times), but when the offense is clicking we can put up points and hang around.  We have the Tennessee feel of last year, imo.  But we gotta get in.
Obviously now because that mean beating Pitt and beating Buf.

We beat the Jets and Pitt and your #5 seed.  Might have been more optimal.

I just found out all the WR's were out because they were in a hot tub.  Only in Cleveland.
Were the DBs in there too? Seems they didn't show up for the game either.

"The touchdown pass from Darnold to Crowder to cap the Jets' opening drive of the second half is a great example. The Cleveland secondary just got lost in coverage. https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1343283222759800838?s=20 The same sort of miscommunication plagued the Browns on New York's first Darnold-to-Crowder touchdown. Denzel Ward turned the receiver over instead of sticking with him in man coverage. The safeties were otherwise occupied. These are mistakes that shouldn't be happening to the Browns this late in the season. The regular starting five were all on the field for the Browns secondary in both gaffes."

Last edited by a moderator:
Were the DBs in there too? Seems they didn't show up for the game either.

"The touchdown pass from Darnold to Crowder to cap the Jets' opening drive of the second half is a great example. The Cleveland secondary just got lost in coverage. https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1343283222759800838?s=20 The same sort of miscommunication plagued the Browns on New York's first Darnold-to-Crowder touchdown. Denzel Ward turned the receiver over instead of sticking with him in man coverage. The safeties were otherwise occupied. These are mistakes that shouldn't be happening to the Browns this late in the season. The regular starting five were all on the field for the Browns secondary in both gaffes."
No one can convince me we won't take a CB sometime in the top 50 of the draft. 

Honestly, I hope the Browns make it into the playoffs.  To go from 0-16 in '17 to the playoffs three years later would be pretty damn cool.  

Browns are favored by 7 points so odds makers clearly expect Pittsburgh to rest their main guys.

Browns were 4-6 but suffered unprecedented injuries at QB.  Over the next 5 games the scored ONE TOUCHDOWN!

In the finale against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh who would go onto win the SB the Browns were starting a guy that they LITERALLY signed off the street that week.  Mike Tomlin started everyone and Pittsburgh would shut out the Browns who hadn't scored a single point the last two games.

Oh and THIS HAPPENED when a few Browns defenders took exception to Mike Tomlin's decision to use his starters in a meaningless game where he didn't have to.

Big Ben had spinal cord concussion Dec. 28, source says

Monday, January 12, 2009

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger used the word "scary" when he saw several of the Steelers team doctors hovering over him on the field and he couldn't feel them sticking a pin in his numb arms two weeks ago against the Cleveland Browns. And for good reason.

Roethlisberger suffered more than what was diagnosed as a concussion.

The Post-Gazette has learned that Roethlisberger actually sustained a spinal cord concussion after he was sandwiched on a hit by two Browns defenders and appeared to hit the back of his head on the Heinz Field surface -- the same type of injury that caused former quarterback Tommy Maddox to temporarily lose movement in his arms and legs in a 2002 game in Tennessee.

It was the reason the Steelers medical personnel removed Roethlisberger's facemask and had him placed on a spinal board when they carted him from the field. Roethlisberger was taken to Presbyterian Hospital, though he quickly regained the feeling in his arms and didn't even remain overnight for observation. He never lost sensation in his legs....

According to several medical websites, a spinal cord concussion can be caused by a sudden and violent jolt and result in neurological deficits...
Mike Tomlin didn't have to play anyone.  He was facing a team that had scored one TD in the last five games.  He actually started Roethlisbeger.  That is who Mike Tomlin is.  He's really not smart when it comes to decisions like this.  Spinal concussion against a team starting a QB signed off the street who got shut out the week prior and had one TD in the last five games. 

Gets his QB carted off the field on a spinal board in a meaningless game where he never should have taken a snap.

Unbelievable.

Big Ben not playing.  If Browns can't beat a Mason Rudolph lead team..........of course couldn't beat a 1-13 Jets team.  Even without WR's you should beat the freaking Jets.

If Buffalo is trying to get #2 seed they should beat Miami too bad Raiders screwed that up. 

Interestingly if Browns, Baltimore and Buffalo all win I think the Browns will play Pitt 2 weeks in a row.

If the titans lose, why does miami have to win?
Highly doubt Tennessee is going to lose to Houston but if they did I think Miami has to win because of a 3 way tie breaker that way it isn't Mia, Cle and Tenn all 10-6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Browns were 4-6 but suffered unprecedented injuries at QB.  Over the next 5 games the scored ONE TOUCHDOWN!

In the finale against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh who would go onto win the SB the Browns were starting a guy that they LITERALLY signed off the street that week.  Mike Tomlin started everyone and Pittsburgh would shut out the Browns who hadn't scored a single point the last two games.

Oh and THIS HAPPENED when a few Browns defenders took exception to Mike Tomlin's decision to use his starters in a meaningless game where he didn't have to.

Big Ben had spinal cord concussion Dec. 28, source says

Mike Tomlin didn't have to play anyone.  He was facing a team that had scored one TD in the last five games.  He actually started Roethlisbeger.  That is who Mike Tomlin is.  He's really not smart when it comes to decisions like this.  Spinal concussion against a team starting a QB signed off the street who got shut out the week prior and had one TD in the last five games. 

Gets his QB carted off the field on a spinal board in a meaningless game where he never should have taken a snap.

Unbelievable.
That was 12 years ago and Ben wasn't 38 years old coming off reconstructive elbow surgery and walking on a gimpy knee.

So basically even though Browns beat Tennessee because Tenn did not play Miami then that is meaningless for the 3 way tie breaker.  So ya that kind of sucks.

NFL Wild Card Tie breakers for 3 or more teams

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Highly doubt Tennessee is going to lose to Houston but if they did I think Miami has to win because of a 3 way tie breaker that way it isn't Mia, Cle and Tenn all 10-6.
No idea why that matters.  If miami wins they are 11-5 and in the playoffs.

If they lose but win a 3 way tiebreaker, why does it matter.  Either way they are in.  

Does miami losing somehow push some other team ahead of us in a tiebreaker?

No idea why that matters.  If miami wins they are 11-5 and in the playoffs.

If they lose but win a 3 way tiebreaker, why does it matter.  Either way they are in.  

Does miami losing somehow push some other team ahead of us in a tiebreaker?
If Miami, Cleveland and Tenn all lose then Tenn is 7-5 vs AFC, Miami 7-5 vs AFC and Browns are 6-6 vs AFC.

I have to guess that would mean Tennessee would win some other tie breaker over Miami to get #6 seed and Miami would get #7 over Browns.

Where as if Miami would just win they would be #6 then Browns beat Tenn for #7 seed.

Am I wrong to assume that PIT will rest more than just Ben?

The QB is the "holy grail" so i get announcing that now. But if they're resting him, then they SHOULD be resting more of their important pieces, too... No?

The QB is the "holy grail" so i get announcing that now. But if they're resting him, then they SHOULD be resting more of their important pieces, too... No?
Tomlin indicated this is likely in today's presser. 

Heard quite a bit on local radio about how Tomiln will rest most of the starters for this week's game vs CLE.  It is said to be a strategic move, as odds are high that CLE vs PIT will be a first round playoff game.  Letting CLE see "everything" PIT has this week, just to come back and do it again next week would favor CLE in a rematch.  However, with this being a must win game for CLE, I can see them throwing every gadget play and scheme they have at PIT just to make sure they win.

Heard quite a bit on local radio about how Tomiln will rest most of the starters for this week's game vs CLE.  It is said to be a strategic move, as odds are high that CLE vs PIT will be a first round playoff game.  Letting CLE see "everything" PIT has this week, just to come back and do it again next week would favor CLE in a rematch.  However, with this being a must win game for CLE, I can see them throwing every gadget play and scheme they have at PIT just to make sure they win.
These two teams know each other pretty well,  aside from a random trick play or odd formation I don't think there is much strategy involved in the decision to rest tired players.   Rudolph knows the entire playbook inside and out but will still likely play it pretty straight since that is what he does.

If the Steelers and Browns see each other in the playoffs the winner will be the team that is more physical and makes less mistakes.  The way these two teams have been this season your guess is as good as mine as to which team that will be.

These two teams know each other pretty well,  aside from a random trick play or odd formation I don't think there is much strategy involved in the decision to rest tired players.   Rudolph knows the entire playbook inside and out but will still likely play it pretty straight since that is what he does.

If the Steelers and Browns see each other in the playoffs the winner will be the team that is more physical and makes less mistakes.  The way these two teams have been this season your guess is as good as mine as to which team that will be.
Last year when Ben was out Fincher used a different offense, a run-heavy Wildcat style with that TE/FB hybrid guy that you have.

If Fincher ran that it wouldn't show anything to whoever you face in the playoffs and would beat up a thin Browns LBing corps that is already missing a few players who likely won't be back in time for the playoffs if we make it.

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

And there was much rejoicing in Cleveland, not so much in Indianapolis

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Steelers’ QB Mason Rudolph will start in Week 17 game against Cleveland.

-------------------------------------------------------

Last time we finished with ten wins and missed the playoffs?

2007 when all we needed was for the Colts to win their final game and this happened.

In the final game of the regular season, Manning played only two series before being replaced with back-up Jim Sorgi; the Colts lost the game to the Titans, 16–10.

Last time we finished with ten wins and missed the playoffs?

2007 when all we needed was for the Colts to win their final game and this happened.

In the final game of the regular season, Manning played only two series before being replaced with back-up Jim Sorgi; the Colts lost the game to the Titans, 16–10.
I remember that. I sat Peyton and played Cutler, winning my Championship. League no longer plays week 17. It cost me one title. 

Derek Anderson to Braylon Edwards time after time. Jamal Lewis, Josh Cribbs, Winslow, Jurevicius and rookie Joe Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread