What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot

#Browns Stefanski says the team has had no new positive tests today. He said he’s fine and his family is fine and he’s most concerned about everyone else

-----------------------------------------------------

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

As long as there are no more positive tests, Sunday night‘s Browns-Steelers game will be played as scheduled. Issue arises if there are more positives...

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Tests on the rest of the Browns’ players came back negative this morning, per source.
Two more today. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

Nothing.  They'll turn a blind eye to it and play the game short-handed.  If this were anyone else, I think they'd find a way to postpone.  Instead, I think Goodell will meet Pfrier at the 50 yd line with CLE's captains and hand out a "Participation" ribbon.  He'll do the elbow dab and then say, "Thanks for making the drive over for the game.  Here's a couple of vouchers for Kenny Rogers Chicken so you can get dinner on the way back."

Nothing.  They'll turn a blind eye to it and play the game short-handed.  If this were anyone else, I think they'd find a way to postpone.  Instead, I think Goodell will meet Pfrier at the 50 yd line with CLE's captains and hand out a "Participation" ribbon.  He'll do the elbow dab and then say, "Thanks for making the drive over for the game.  Here's a couple of vouchers for Kenny Rogers Chicken so you can get dinner on the way back."
Just curious, what options do they have in terms of postponing and such? Anything I can think of would impact the following week.

Just curious, what options do they have in terms of postponing and such? Anything I can think of would impact the following week.
They could play Monday or Tuesday (possibly Wednesday) and postpone the following playoff game for the winner to next Sunday or Monday.  I'm just not sure if the 2 or 3 day delay this week will even help any of the players that are out due to Covid.

Scratch that:  I forgot the National Championship game is Monday night.  They won't go up against that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least we're practicing this week...  err

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Withers@twithersAP

#Browns don't practice again as COVID-19 wreaks havoc on team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear they are going to flex the Cowboys Giants to replace an expected blowout Wild Card game for Sunday Night Football.

Hmnnn...

========

David J. Chao - ProFootballDoc@ProFootballDoc

This is significant. Spread within a team is what might postpone a game. Right now still a few days to go but something to keep an eye on.

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer, says on @nflnetwork "there was some spread one individual to another" among #Browns' latest positive COVID-19 cases. Not all community spread. Contact tracing and review of test results ongoing before decision on practice today.

Peak said:
Hogwash.  This victim mentality really needs to stop.  

i mostly agree..

but there WERE postponements this season. so, you can't pretend like we're asking for special treatment if we have an internal outbreak.

i mostly agree..

but there WERE postponements this season. so, you can't pretend like we're asking for special treatment if we have an internal outbreak.
The NFL protocols are about risk of spreading the disease.

Different genome strains contracted from OUTSIDE of a team facility according to the NFL protocols does not carry the same risk as a similar genome strain that have been spread WITHIN team facilities.  That is the key.  Similar strains spread within a team facility.  

My opinion, the NFL policy claims they want to prevent spreading COVID conveniently prevents them from being sued.

High potential to spread within a facility/on field = high legal risk to the league

High legal risk to league = games get pushed back

Right now the game will be played unless more positive cases of similar genome strains get spread within a team facility.  Who knows when they decide the risk is too high but Doctor Chao said our latest outbreak was 'significant'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

David J. Chao - ProFootballDoc@ProFootballDoc

This is significant. Spread within a team is what might postpone a game. Right now still a few days to go but something to keep an eye on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every team should tread lightly as they may go through the same thing.  Steelers will be playing a team riddled with COVID cases which will cause some concern even if all precautions are taken.  

I think we all know it suck if the Super Bowl is determined by COVID attrition.

Godsbrother said:
They could play Monday or Tuesday (possibly Wednesday) and postpone the following playoff game for the winner to next Sunday or Monday.  I'm just not sure if the 2 or 3 day delay this week will even help any of the players that are out due to Covid.

Scratch that:  I forgot the National Championship game is Monday night.  They won't go up against that.
I just think the rest time/practice time between games becomes so important in the playoffs. If a team wins Saturday and, in the next round, plays a team that wins Tuesday (or Wednesday as you also proposed), that team would be at a HUGE disadvantage having significantly less days to prepare.

I just think the rest time/practice time between games becomes so important in the playoffs. If a team wins Saturday and, in the next round, plays a team that wins Tuesday (or Wednesday as you also proposed), that team would be at a HUGE disadvantage having significantly less days to prepare.
Yes I agree.  I think if they can get the game in as scheduled they should because Covid is so damn unpredictable.  If they delayed until Tuesday or Wednesday and either team had a rash of positive tests on Monday or Tuesday what do they do then?  

Covid sucks

It would. As does a participating team that's had 33% of its roster on covid reserve over the last 2 weeks and only been permitted to conduct one practice over that time frame. The NFL is not decision making based on competitive disadvantage; it's about liability. Proceed, accordingly - and nobody cares, work harder.

this is how i look at it:

1.  last year the Browns wouldn't have even made the playoffs.  they're playing with house money right now.

2. do they have a championship caliber offense?  maybe.  at times they sure do.  do they have a championship caliber defense? No.

3. they are the #7 seed for a reason.  the NFL does not care about the #7 seed.

4. i'd rather this happen this year, instead of one of the next few years, when i feel the Browns may have a legitimate shot at a championship.

5.  do i have a fifth point?  no.  it just looked weird to end a list on four.  enjoy the ride everyone.

@TomPelissero 1h

Two #Browns who tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday have tested negative since on multiple tests, per source. If they continue to test negative today, the NFL’s medical experts may revisit those results and their status for Sunday vs. the #Steelers.

,,, Denzel back would be MASSIVE.. so if guys from Thurs might be good to go, Denzel would be a lock (if testing negative)

@AKinkhabwala

The #Browns rapid result testing has come back all clear and the team will have their walkthrough in about 30 minutes at team HQ. After that, they’re flying to Pittsburgh for tomorrow night’s PLAYOFF tilt vs the #Steelers.

@TomPelissero 1h

Two #Browns who tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday have tested negative since on multiple tests, per source. If they continue to test negative today, the NFL’s medical experts may revisit those results and their status for Sunday vs. the #Steelers.

,,, Denzel back would be MASSIVE.. so if guys from Thurs might be good to go, Denzel would be a lock (if testing negative)
Not sure if Ward was one, but Harrison definitely was a false negative. He would be a welcome addition in the secondary.

Browns activated TE Harrison Bryant, S Ronnie Harrison and LB Malcolm Smith off their Reserve/COVID-19 reserve list in time to play Sunday vs. the Steelers.

Soulfly3 said:
denzel ward can be activated as of Sunday morning, pending continued Negative results. 
It's official Ward isn't going to play.  That is a crippling blow.  We had to have him back.

Browns activated TE Harrison Bryant from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Bryant will play in Sunday night's Wild Card game with the Steelers. The Browns also activated LB Malcolm Smith and S Ronnie Harrison. Denzel Ward and CB Kevin Johnson remain on the COVID list and won't be cleared for the first round of the playoffs.

Anyone that wants to believe we can win tomorrow I dont advise looking up qb splits when Ward is out.
Things were already stacked against us with our head coach out and one of our best OL out and now having Ward out pretty much ends it.  Shocked Pitt is only favored by 6.  This could be one of those ugly 38-7 type games.  It was a great season either way but this sucks.  We had a very easy schedule so I don't think we just walk to 11 wins again next year.  Getting 4 games vs the NFC East is a big reason we went 11-5.  

Things were already stacked against us with our head coach out and one of our best OL out and now having Ward out pretty much ends it.  Shocked Pitt is only favored by 6.  This could be one of those ugly 38-7 type games.  It was a great season either way but this sucks.  We had a very easy schedule so I don't think we just walk to 11 wins again next year.  Getting 4 games vs the NFC East is a big reason we went 11-5.  
I'll be disappointed if it's something like that. I expect an admirable effort, but ultimately the Steeler defense will make too many plays to overcome.

is there a defensive antonym to “stacking the box?”

like, is there a way to drop everyone into coverage and “dare them to run”?

this is how i look at it:

1.  last year the Browns wouldn't have even made the playoffs.  they're playing with house money right now.

2. do they have a championship caliber offense?  maybe.  at times they sure do.  do they have a championship caliber defense? No.

3. they are the #7 seed for a reason.  the NFL does not care about the #7 seed.

4. i'd rather this happen this year, instead of one of the next few years, when i feel the Browns may have a legitimate shot at a championship.

5.  do i have a fifth point?  no.  it just looked weird to end a list on four.  enjoy the ride everyone.
We’re the 6 seed so 1 and 3 aren’t accurate, but I completely get the message in part 4. 

Could get out of hand, but I’m thinking it will not. 

LET’S GO BROWNS!

is there a defensive antonym to “stacking the box?”

like, is there a way to drop everyone into coverage and “dare them to run”?
"Emptying the box"?

"Smothering the field"?

"Scattered, Smothered, Covered, and Chunked"?

Crazy start to the game, massive capitalization on the turnovers, Browns gonna Brown during the middle and finally the game ending drive at the end we were all screaming for during the 2nd & 3rd quarter. Can’t ask for much more from this team. Just wow! 

Oh and our QB meeting one of his lineman in the locker room for the first time before the game and that lineman coming into play in the 4th quarter during said game winning drive. Even in victory, the Browns add their unique slant to the win. As much as I’ve hated this team in the past, I love them so much more.

Joe, you will NEVER be forgiven for the website being down over night. 
Conspiracy!!!  Joe is a Steeler fan!!  Kept us loyal Browns fans from enjoying the night while his steelers crashed and burned!!  Get the pitchforks and torches!!!

(all jokes...all jokes...)

Looking good for the Chiefs.

Err, so far.🤞

------------------------------------

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

After playing and advancing last night, the #Browns got an “all clear” on their latest round of COVID-19 testing, source said. After a trying week, perhaps the worst is behind them as they move on in the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread