What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

Richardson played well.  Losing him will hurt.  No Shel and no Ogun means we replaced the two starters from last year.  Replacing Ogun wasn't an issue but losing Sheldon is.

I hope we either try to re-sign Richardson later at a reduced rate or have some 'other' name out there as a backup plan because 'right now' I think we really need another INT DL.  We 'kinda' needed a pure NT anyway so...

I honestly don't know and don't like the move.  Just my humble-O.
A vet will be added. It will just be 10-20% of what Richardson was going to be paid.

Defense has to be the first pick. Need an impact linebacker(s), cornerback, pass rusher, D-tackle, O-line, depth everywhere. Need to find multiple future starters in this draft. Bunch of 1 year deals on the team. Backups not good enough. Injuries will happen and suck, but the best teams overcome them. 

Defense has to be the first pick. Need an impact linebacker(s), cornerback, pass rusher, D-tackle, O-line, depth everywhere. Need to find multiple future starters in this draft. Bunch of 1 year deals on the team. Backups not good enough. Injuries will happen and suck, but the best teams overcome them. 
The way things are structured in the NFL these days, I think it's important to draft players in anticipation of others coming off their rookie contracts and leaving as FAs.  You can't pay everyone.

Drafting for need just wont ever work.  Not at the expense of passing on better players at other positions.  Needs change constantly.  

Last edited by a moderator:
prior to FA, i was saying they should use all their picks on defense.

they probably still should.  might be a good idea to grab a WR and OL too.  

i think it will be exciting to see what they do in the draft.  i don't really see any single position they "have" to take.

we'll probably see a few trades as well.

Drafting for need just wont ever work.  Not at the expense of passing on better players at other positions.  Needs change constantly.  
:goodposting:

What this group is doing is how you build a sustainable competitor. Did the Richardson cut make the team marginally worse in 2021? Yes, of course. It also made future iterations of the team marginally better. And the current 2021 team is already good enough to compete for a title. I don't think it's a surprise a potential reunion with Richardson is out there now either. The player was never the issue; the cost was. If someone else pays him over Berry's budget then he'll move onto another vet (they're still out there).  

I don't know what this team will do in the draft, but I am highly confident their decisions will be made with a similar mindset. It's not about making the 2021 version of the team marginally better; it's about adding the most value to the team. They'll take advantage where this draft is strongest with elements like future contract structures and positional value in mind (among others), but no one variable will drive their decision making. Given that I think WR, CB, OL, and maybe EDGE will be priorities in the top 75 or so of the draft. I also think they'll zag if certain DT's, FS's, and maybe LB's fall. And I think the most likely scenario involves adding 2022 draft capital. 

Here's a look at the visits we've had/scheduled.

Five corners and four EDGE players.  

Here's the full list.

Cleveland Browns: Which Draft Prospects Have Had Meetings With The Browns?
That list a bit dated, pre-Clowney but shows:

• 5 CBs (not DBs but just CBs)
  • 3 Interior DL (BEFORE cutting Richardson)
  • 4 EDGE (BEFORE signing Clowney
  • 1 safety
  • 2 LBers
  • 5 WRs
  • 2 interior OL
  • 1 K 
Corner is still a huge area that needs to be addressed and is deep in this class.  We were looking INT-DL BEFORE cutting Richardson but if we can re-sign him then it becomes a minor need if that.

WR makes sense looking forward to next year when we'll have to address the cap with minimum dead cap hit if we move on from Landry or dish OBJ.

And oddly?

• 3 RBs
Running back makes sense to me as I noted that adding an extra game means we 'should' be looking forward to attrition at the end of the year and brining in 'fresh' legs at a position like RB that takes very little ramp-up time before they can make a contribution.  Its easy to stash guys on IR at a position like RB who suffer lots of bumps and bruises, same with DB which always gets banged up late in the year.

Running back makes sense to me as I noted that adding an extra game means we 'should' be looking forward to attrition at the end of the year and brining in 'fresh' legs at a position like RB that takes very little ramp-up time before they can make a contribution.  Its easy to stash guys on IR at a position like RB who suffer lots of bumps and bruises
...at what cost? and who? I don't think it's likely any of the top 3 fall outside the top 60 nor do I think we'll be the one to pull the trigger. I think Sermon is a relatively good bet, but beyond him I struggle getting excited about anyone else's expected value and fit on this roster. If Sermon's there early day 3, great! If not then no one else really excites me. Sure, add a body pick 200ish to compete for RB3, but that's not really a needle mover.

FYI, in yesterday's presser, when asked about OBJ's recovery, Coach said he's "on or ahead" of schedule, but also took the time to say that Delpit is as well, and Greedy is doing exceptionally well.

FYI, in yesterday's presser, when asked about OBJ's recovery, Coach said he's "on or ahead" of schedule, but also took the time to say that Delpit is as well, and Greedy is doing exceptionally well.
did they mention anything about the color of the sky?  what about the grass?

did they mention anything about the color of the sky?  what about the grass?
Not this time, but I'll keep you informed.

FWIW, news about Greedy especially has been hard to come by.  That he went out of his way to note Greedy's exceptional progress is music to my ears.

daveR said:
Not this time, but I'll keep you informed.

FWIW, news about Greedy especially has been hard to come by.  That he went out of his way to note Greedy's exceptional progress is music to my ears.
i'm just messing with you.

i think there was an update on Greedy a month or so ago.

i agree they don't say much.  but until they get to camp, it doesn't mean much.  really that's when they determine what they can actually do.

daveR said:
... news about Greedy especially has been hard to come by.  That he went out of his way to note Greedy's exceptional progress is music to my ears.
Not sure if anyone has stumbled upon this guy but he has a great Browns pod and a few hours ago had Jake Burns on who is someone everyone should know.

Not a hot take, pretty well reasoned.

Jake has some very 'tempered expectations on both Grant Delpit and Greedy Williams who he says could be on the bubble.

Go to the 16:30 mark for his take on Greedy.

LINK

People in the fantasy community has soured on OBJ.  What are your thoughts on him in fantasy going forward?  

People in the fantasy community has soured on OBJ.  What are your thoughts on him in fantasy going forward?  
Guarded optimism. I think Baker got lazy before 2019 and by the time he realized the error in his ways he was 6 feet under with incompetence around him. Between that incompetence being replaced and the covid offseason it was always going to take the new group time to help Baker un-#### himself. And that lightbulb happened to turn on right about when OBJ blew out his knee. 

I think Beckham's presence contributed to some of Baker's problems over those 20-some games, but I don't think he was the source of them. I think Baker lost his way and tried to force feed the star to get out of it and it clearly didn't work. He found himself on the other side and I think we'll see that carry forward into 2021 as he finally has some continuity to work with. We won't see him looking for OBJ to bail him out, but rather we'll see him play like he did the latter part of 2020 and OBJ will provide more explosive plays than last year's group.

I've not completely dismissed the diva narrative, but my primary questions with OBJ are health and volume; not toxin.

Browns scored well while he was healthy, but they have many weapons.  I don't expect him to return to wr1 status for that reason.  I consider him a top-end wr2.  IMO, he's a hardworking teammate, not the headache he's portrayed as, but the volume won't be there.

More & more I'm thinking trade down, probably out of round 1.  Fans won't be happy since the draft is here and it'll be 4 hrs in, but I doubt the "right" guy falls to us.  It wouldn't surprise me if several of the players available at 26 were also available at 36 -- cheaper.  Though I'd LOVE to see a trade UP for a top CB, it seems expensive & unlikely, with future sal-cap implications. 

Bottom line though:  I TRUST AB!

More & more I'm thinking trade down, probably out of round 1... I doubt the "right" guy falls to us...
Who is the right guy?  I have absolutely no clue this year, none.  I've been thinking CB or EDGE but WR and DT are also in play and outsiders are adamant about mocking LBers to us.  AB opens it up to just about any position.

----------------------------------------------

NFL Update@MySportsUpdate

#Browns GM Andrew Berry says he believes you have to approach every draft with a long-term mindset, not addressing needs: "Bill Polian used to say, 'Your needs today aren't the same as your needs tomorrow.' I definitely have found that to be true throughout my football career."

---------------------------------------------

I don't think he's locked-in on any one name.

There is a solid Browns source who has implied - nay - stated that the Brownns are cooking up something big...

Moving up for Horn or Surtain? Could you imagine?

Soulfly3 said:
There is a solid Browns source who has implied - nay - stated that the Brownns are cooking up something big...

Moving up for Horn or Surtain? Could you imagine?
"Something big" implies acquisition rather than trading out.  It may well include players, making room on the roster & the cap.  Hmmmmm...

I don't have a logical guess.  "Trade down" was my most likely of various scenarios, but even that was in the 15% range.  

The good news is AB's doin' it, not me.  Also, it's certain that a very good player will fall, if the mocks are at all accurate.

Can't wait!

I don't think they even have a good idea what they will do, let alone us on the outside. Prepare for as many different scenarios as possible then act accordingly as the board and trade markets take shape. I think the most likely round 1 targets play edge and corner. Round 2 is the same, but add WR. Round 3 is the same, but add iDL. Then open the flood gates to anything but QB, FB, anything that kicks, and maybe TE day 3. Every other position isn't far away from becoming a hole 11 months from now, so throw darts at your guys and see if they develop into a contingency plan.

Ultimately, I'm not expecting 9 new Browns this weekend and I think we'll end it with more 2022 draft capital than we have right now.

A year ago, we were saying this...
always interesting to go back a year and see how things played out.

what strikes me is that their 2nd AND 3rd picks didn't play a down last year, and they still made the playoffs.

the defense almost has to at least be average this year, between FA, this draft, and getting those two guys back.

always interesting to go back a year and see how things played out.

what strikes me is that their 2nd AND 3rd picks didn't play a down last year, and they still made the playoffs.

the defense almost has to at least be average this year, between FA, this draft, and getting those two guys back.
Jordan Elliott was in the rotation all season. 

i'd rather see them package picks and move up.  

i doubt it'll be anything earth-shattering, but i could see them move up to the pick 20 range.  (1st plus a 3rd)

or maybe using the 4th rounders to move up 12 spots in the second round.

I believe PFF rated the Browns the #1 offensive line last year.  Going into the start of last year Fantasy Index had Cleveland ranked as the #14 offensive line.

This is how they rated their 5 starters.  (rated from 1 - 5)

Willis - Probably below average (2)

Bitonio - Above average (4)

Tretter - Average (3)

Teller - Probably below average (2)

Conklin - Above average (4)

The Colts at 21 have 6 picks with no 3rd rounder. That may be the best spot to try and move to if The Browns want a player they believe will not fall to 26. The Dolphins at 18 have 8 including 2 first rounders, 2 2nd's, one 3rd no 4th's.  A trade with them could involve multiple picks going each way. No idea if either team will consider trading without raping us.

Its been my draft philosophy forever but you can't have one-sided trades.

This draft has more uncertainty so teams will value players differently so their 'could' be opportunities especially at the end of the 1st.

Talent historically drops off in the 3rd so I'd always be looking to dish 3rd and 4th round picks for future higher picks.

One caveat specific to this draft is that COVID and players opting out creates more uncertainty higher in the 1st so it is 'possible' that a gem could fall into our lap picking later in the 1st round.  

I just dont want to remember "that" browns team. 

Absolutely insane what a change we've seen here. 
I'm glad my guarded defending of this group this time last year had merit. The Sashi = Berry narratives correctly induced fire spitting.

Users who are viewing this thread