• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAC_32

• ghostguy123

• amnesiac

• Bracie Smathers

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course he was concussed...I'm sure Haley kept reminding him on the sideline he was concussed.  Haley wasn't going to let him back in that game, Hue be damned.   Taylor: Coach, I can play.  I ju

This isn't going to be a "only positive comments allowed" type thing. But don't do what you did. And you know what you did. If you've got something constructive to discuss about how the team

Ryan Engle‏ @rengle83 13h13 hours ago I read the survival handbook for these situations. If you’re attacked by a Jermaine Whitehead, just pretend like you’re a tight end running at a moderate pac

2 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I wouldn't mind Gainwell in the 4th

ESPN lists them both at 5'8", 201 lbs.

Since we added LB/S/Rover JOK he needs to be covered and the only 'hole' we have carried over and not addressed is a true NT, someone who eats up blockers/space to cover 'rangey' LBers.

The defensive coaches went right to work to scheme plays for JOK even before the pick was announced so he will see the field as a rookie and they have/are drawing up plans to use him.  

Makes sense to me that we address NT/DT since we have a 'hole' (especially if Sheldon Richardson doesn't return) and haven't addressed it 'yet' in the draft.  

I've got no names but think at some point we take a flyer on an interior DL and may lean more towards a true NT but definitely a DT before the end of today.

Posted (edited)

Since they don't play a lot of Super Bowls in Cleveland and some other cities with similar make up that never get to host, let these cities continue to host Drafts. 

I would like to see Cleveland get the Draft again in the next 4-5 years, an opportunity to visit after this pandemic and get the NFL vibe in the middle of the country which feels different than football down here in the South. 

Nashville was terrific, add Cleveland and they had to juggle the pandemic but they have looked terrific. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Browns got pick 153 and Lions 2022 4th round pick

Browns gave to Detroit the 113th pick (4th round) this year in addition to the 257th pick (7th round) this year.

Get the 153rd pick (5th round) 2021 this year

Detroit's 4th round pick 2022 next year

So for those wanting us to trade away surplus picks = Win!

Berry is not ####### around.  

OL and DT?  yes, please.  

so refreshing not seeing us draft 2 linebackers and 3 wide receivers.  

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Browns gave to Detroit the 113th pick (4th round) this year in addition to the 257th pick (7th round) this year.

Get the 153rd pick (5th round) 2021 this year

Detroit's 4th round pick 2022 next year

So for those wanting us to trade away surplus picks = Win!

Would have rather traded 113 for Det 3rd in 2022 straight up

I have no idea on these guys but I see they passed up the #1 rated DT left on CBS and ESPN to get the #2 guy and the difference in ranking was pretty huge.

CBS has Togiai ranked 107 and Daviyon Nixon from Iowa ranked 45 overall.  That's a huge difference that's a mid 2nd round grade.  Again I know zero about those guys so who knows.

ESPN had them rated 103 (Nixon) and 135 for Togiai.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dez said:

I have no idea on these guys but I see they passed up the #1 rated DT left on CBS and ESPN to get the #2 guy and the difference in ranking was pretty huge.

CBS has Togiai ranked 107 and Daviyon Nixon from Iowa ranked 45 overall.  That's a huge difference that's a mid 2nd round grade.  Again I know zero about those guys so who knows.

ESPN had them rated 103 (Nixon) and 135 for Togiai.

PFF has Togiai at 83, and Nixon at 114.

I don't wanna disparage anyone, but CBS is poo poo.  

Just now, massraider said:

I have no clue was just posting what I seen.

6 minutes ago, massraider said:

Watch yer ####### language.  

5 minutes ago, massraider said:

No offense meant.

None taken

11 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Got one.

Ohio State DT Tommy Togiai - LINK

Got another one.

------------------------

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

Browns just keep winning

---------------------------------------

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The #Browns are signing former Florida State DT Marvin Wilson to a huge rookie free-agent deal that includes a $30,000 signing bonus plus $162,000 in guaranteed base salary, per source. Cleveland won a swift bidding war for Wilson, one of the top players to go undrafted.

20 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

OT James Hudson - Cincinnati 

Geoff Schwartz@geoffschwartz

Great situation for Hudson with Callahan

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

#Browns continue to clean up. OT James Hudson was ranked No. 55 on my board

9 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Geoff Schwartz@geoffschwartz

Great situation for Hudson with Callahan

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

#Browns continue to clean up. OT James Hudson was ranked No. 55 on my board

I like Hudson what little I saw of him.  

I'm usually giddy after a draft.  I'm generally an optimist. I'm not feeling it this time.  I LOVE the FAs they signed, but the draft leaves me MEH. Hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, daveR said:

I'm usually giddy after a draft.  I'm generally an optimist. I'm not feeling it this time.  I LOVE the FAs they signed, but the draft leaves me MEH. Hope I'm wrong.

Welcome to the reality of picking at the bottom of the draft. Hope this new feeling carries forward into future years too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, daveR said:

Hopefully it’s opposite of normal.  

outside of the WR, I thought they killed this draft.  

(not sure why they didn’t get a kicker though.  Parkey is trash.)

7 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Welcome to the reality of picking at the bottom of the draft. Hope this new feeling carries forward into future years too.

Yep. Get used to it, because I really like what Cleveland's doing,

Here's the thing, though: the same 6 or 8 teams are consistently picking in the bottom half of rounds, yet they are also consistently good. That's because they have good scouting and good development systems in place, and they keep the pipeline full.

Which leads to another another side to being a consistently good team. Get ready to lose players at an alarming rate in FA. You'll also have your FO/scouting/coaching staffs continuously poached. I believe the Ravens lost NINE (!) assistant coaches this off-season to promotions elsewhere.

Man, this division is going to be a bloodbath.

8 hours ago, daveR said:

Were you giddy with the Brady Q pick? Justin Gilbert? Johnny M? 

• Laughing 1

Last year our top pick was a slam dunk at an area of need with a blue chip prospect so his 'success' was expected.  The top FA signing of OT Jack Conklin was also a slam dunk of a top FA talent at an area of need but he surpassed expectations.

The buzz at this time last year was about the 'expected' improvement with 2nd year CB Greedy Williams and the addition of S Grant Delpit and then Delpit was the big news in camp.  Didn't happen and the pass-D was the downfall of the team.

This year the FO attacked the weakness just as they did with the sorry offensive line last year.  Top FA signing of S JJ should be an instant starter.  Top pick CB Greg Newsome should beat out Greedy to start opposite Denzel.  The slot CB FA we got from the Rams looks solid and 'can' play the boundary if/when needed and 'IF' Greedy makes the team his strong suit is coverage.  Then with Delpit, JOK, and the other DB we drafted its not wishful thinking that someone will step-up and make plays.  

Bottom line?

Expect a HUGE improvement from weakness to strength with our pass-pro ala the HUGE improvement last year on our O-Line.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

True dat.  I suppose getting a good CB added to the team should be enough.  Everyone else looks to (potentially) have flaws, depending what you read.  MAYBE JOK is the next big thing, an evolutionary step at LB.  I hope so.  MAYBE Schwartz shows he's not just wheels.  MAYBE the 4th round linemen are able to produce at this level despite some shortcomings.  MAYBE I'm just jaded because all the Indians' "maybes" turn out to be zeroes.  I've said I trust AB and I do.

5 hours ago, Beef Ravioli said:

Were you giddy with the Brady Q pick? Justin Gilbert? Johnny M? 

Wasn't fond of the QBs, especially JM, but I thought acquiring the top CB in the draft was a slam dunk.  A kid at Christmas!

Posted (edited)

Field Yates
@FieldYates
Effective at 4 PM ET, unrestricted free agents that sign with a new team no longer count towards the NFL’s compensatory pick formula. 

Amongst those available: Richard Sherman, Justin Houston, Alejandro Villanueva, Russell Okung, Melvin Ingram, K.J. Wright & Jason McCourty.

-----------------------------------

On 5/2/2021 at 12:32 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Got another one.

------------------------

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

Browns just keep winning

---------------------------------------

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The #Browns are signing former Florida State DT Marvin Wilson to a huge rookie free-agent deal that includes a $30,000 signing bonus plus $162,000 in guaranteed base salary, per source. Cleveland won a swift bidding war for Wilson, one of the top players to go undrafted.

Got another one and its related to the tweet at the top.

Doesn't look like Sheldon Richardson will be back.

Browns sign Malik McDowell

-------------------------------------

I believe this is the first 'character' issue guy that AB has EVER inked so the upside/need has to be HUGE/real.

---------------

Nate Ulrich

@ByNateUlrich

#Browns give defensive tackle Malik McDowell shot at comeback after ATV accident, legal woes. Updated with quote from GM Andrew Berry about McDowell and info about the five undrafted free agents Cleveland signed

------------------------

“We are certainly aware of Malik’s past, as we have done extensive work on him for the last two months," Browns General Manager Andrew Berry said in a prepared statement. "He is accountable for his actions and has had to live with the consequences for decisions earlier in his life. We believe Malik is in a good place, personally and medically. He has taken the necessary steps to get on a healthy path, and has learned from his experiences.

Edited by Bracie Smathers
4 hours ago, daveR said:

Wasn't fond of the QBs, especially JM, but I thought acquiring the top CB in the draft was a slam dunk.  A kid at Christmas!

I have tended to see things through the Orange and a Brown glasses when it has come to the previous drafts (accept Johnny!). These last two seasons are on a completely different level than I have ever seen in my lifetime (50). Love what AB and team are doing! 

• Like 1
Just now, Beef Ravioli said:

I have tended to see things through the Orange and a Brown glasses when it has come to the previous drafts (accept Johnny!). These last two seasons are on a completely different level than I have ever seen in my lifetime (50). Love what AB and team are doing! 

Yeah.  It's nice to see them target specific guys for our team.  I like it!!  I want to see the drafting part playout, though.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:40 PM, Bracie Smathers said:
On 4/19/2021 at 1:44 PM, MAC_32 said:

..at what cost? and who? ...

If you look at the names they list them as RB/KR so it appears they are looking for special teamers not replacements or anything like that.  Fresh legs can apply to kick returners/special teamers and 'potential' depth.

Camryn Justice@camijustice

#Browns Demetric Felton said he wants to play at kick and punt returner as well. "I make plays, I score touchdowns, I do all that. I'm just really excited for the opportunity."

--------------------------

#Browns Demetric Felton said he bonded with ST Coordinator Mike Priefer during the pre-draft process.

--------------------------

Posted (edited)

LINK to vid

Footballguys | Fantasy Football

@FBGNews@SigmundBloom and @CecilLammey

are live now with the AFC North Draft Recap!

Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom break down the 2021 NFL draft. In This Episode: did the Ravens add the right weapons for QB Lamar Jackson, what were the Bengals thinking passing on OT Penei Sewell, the Browns turn everything into gold, the Steelers get their bellcow back, plus more!

Edited by Bracie Smathers
On 3/20/2021 at 8:56 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Mike Clay positional grades before FA signings.

• Safety .05
  • CB 2.1
  • LB .06
  • EDGE 2.9
  • INTERIOR DL 2.8
  • Defensive ranking 21 
  • Overall grade including offense 6

... Last year our DTs were soft, really bad against the run so hopefully Malik is not just ok but a force against the run.  

Bottom line, we addressed major weakness' on defense and their isn't any doubt in my mind that are a legit Super Bowl contender.  I'd love a better than average pass rusher and a boundary corner with size to have legit starters opposite Myles and Denzel but that 'probably' isn't going to happen but right now we have the starters to win the SB.

Clay's UPDATED positional rankings:  LINK  >>  Mike Clay Projections 2021 UPDATED

Mike Clay positional grades from a few days ago.  It looks like he included JOK at EDGE since the S position went up after we signed John Johnson and our LB unit grade actually went down a tic from  .09 to .08.  EDGE went up after we inked Clowney but has maxed out after the draft so he must have included JOK in the EDGE score.  

• Safety 3.1
  • CB 3.3
  • LB .08
  • EDGE 4.0
  • INTERIOR DL 1.0
  • Defensive ranking 6
  • Overall grade including offense 2

The two areas I felt we needed to address were boundary corner and EDGE.  I didn't think we'd be able to sign Clowney so EDGE got addressed and we took Greg Newsome with our first pick so boundary corner was addressed.  Getting JOK was beyond anything I could have imagined.

DT is an issue.  We drafted a guy and have been busy signing guys but I'd take Sheldon Richardson back in an instant if possible but I think that ship has sailed.  

22 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Clay's UPDATED positional rankings:  LINK  >>  Mike Clay Projections 2021 UPDATED

Mike Clay positional grades from a few days ago.  It looks like he included JOK at EDGE since the S position went up after we signed John Johnson and our LB unit grade actually went down a tic from  .09 to .08.  EDGE went up after we inked Clowney but has maxed out after the draft so he must have included JOK in the EDGE score.  

• Safety 3.1
  • CB 3.3
  • LB .08
  • EDGE 4.0
  • INTERIOR DL 1.0
  • Defensive ranking 6
  • Overall grade including offense 2

The two areas I felt we needed to address were boundary corner and EDGE.  I didn't think we'd be able to sign Clowney so EDGE got addressed and we took Greg Newsome with our first pick so boundary corner was addressed.  Getting JOK was beyond anything I could have imagined.

DT is an issue.  We drafted a guy and have been busy signing guys but I'd take Sheldon Richardson back in an instant if possible but I think that ship has sailed.  

Bracie, you follow this stuff much closer than I do.  

I thought JOK was generally considered a cover LB?  why do you think they included him in the edge category?  

also can you fill us in on how the grades work?  and the overall grade, is that a grade or a ranking?

I’ll hang up and listen.  

2 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

I thought JOK was generally considered a cover LB?  why do you think they included him in the edge category?  

also can you fill us in on how the grades work?  and the overall grade, is that a grade or a ranking?

I’ll hang up and listen.  

I think that because the LB score went DOWN and the S score remained the SAME while the EDGE score went up to the MAX.

Have to assume he included JOK in the EDGE positional category.

JOK is a guy who had no clear position and he does rush the passer.  Clowney is great setting the edge and has his 'best' pass rush inside.  JOK can pressure from the edge.

Pete Smith categorizes him as a ROVER but Stefanski has stated he's an OLB so I would take down Clay's EDGE grade and bump-up the LB grade.

In any event the overall score evens out.

I wasn’t clear. Why do you think they decided to include him in the edge category instead of LB, do they think he’ll primarily blitz?  That seems contrary to everything that I’ve read.  

I agree it doesn’t really matter in the end, just curious how you think he’ll be used. 

9 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

I wasn’t clear. Why do you think they decided to include him in the edge category instead of LB, do they think he’ll primarily blitz?  That seems contrary to everything that I’ve read.  

I agree it doesn’t really matter in the end, just curious how you think he’ll be used. 

Why?  

No one outside of the building knows so he was guessing just as Pete Smith is guessing and you and I would be guessing.

Stefanski has stated he will play OLB, more in the traditional WLB role but he's got all sorts of coverage and pass rush skills as well so if others want to picture him as a hybrid S/cover-LB or OLB/EDGE well... he does those things.

I guess it doesn't really matter how he's classified and I have to imagine Clay saw his EDGE pass rush as his most dominant trait because he boosted the Browns EDGE grade to the MAX while dropping the LB grade and didn't move on his S grade so he obviously put him in as a EDGE player.

36 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

I’ll hang up and listen.  

This doesn't really answer your question, but I think he's to this class what Isaiah Simmons was to last year. Not a perfect comp, but the same range? Yeah, and I have a lot more faith in Joe Woods' ability to adapt to a player's tools than Vance Joseph. He's a chess piece that can be utilized in a lot of different ways. I don't expect him to be given a full plate of work from the outset, but as he successfully completes one role then another will be added. 

56 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

I think that he cannot take one player and boost multiple positions or he'd have to take a QB and go through all sorts of grade machinations like:  Oh the QB impacts the WR/TE/3rd down RB/REC grades along with the O-Line but this guy also is a scrambling RB QB so...  

It would get too messy if he saw JOK as an OLB, S/LB hybrid, EDGE/LB hybrid and then starting tinkering with three positions.  I think it is obvious that he chose one position and improved it knowing the other grades would even out.

How does he grade?  If its explained in intricate detail it doesn't really matter because different people would assign different grades.  All I know is he's been doing this work for years and its really impressive and he updates his work.  I was floored the first time I saw it and he's been very consistent and 'fairly' accurate.  

Mike Clay's work is a great source for fantasy, the NFL draft, and/or looking to see what areas a team is strong/weak at.  Can't pimp his work enough.  >>>   LINK

• Thanks 1
On 4/24/2020 at 11:27 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

Still some good talent available.   Curtis Weaver still their as well.

EDGE CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE

Weaver's athleticism or lack thereof is terrifying. He doesn't have a body of work against quality tackles to prove it won't matter, but we've also never seen an edge dominate the group of 5 to the degree Weaver did.

Curtis Weaver 'ready to hit the ground running' after missing rookie season

11 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

On 4/24/2020 at 11:27 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

Still some good talent available.   Curtis Weaver still their as well.

EDGE CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE

Yeah, when someone posted the link back to what we were saying last draft I came across the name Curtis Weaver and remembered that YOU mentioned him before the draft when we were looking at EDGE/pass rushers.

The Man With No Name

Posted March 21

They have a guy that had 34 sacks in 3 years of college. Curtis Weaver. 
Number 99

Miami Dolphins[edit]

Weaver was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fifth round (164th overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft.[6] He was waived/injured by the team on August 24, 2020.[7]

Cleveland Browns[edit]

Weaver was claimed off waivers by the Cleveland Browns on August 25, 2020.[8] The Browns placed Weaver on injured reserve on August 27, 2020.[9]

I was going to go back and check to see if it was the same Curtis Weaver because I had completely forgotten making that post last year.

Its an interesting story, he was productive but low RAS score.  Definitely a name I'll keep an eye👁️‍🗨️ on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 11:05 PM, Dez said:

Elliott ESPN's #41 overall ranked player taken at #88

Draft night from last year:

11:18pm: Per PFF, Jordan Elliot is the only Power-5 interior defender with 90.0+ run-defense and pass-rush grades. Great value pick for Berry!

Steve Doerschuk@sdoerschukREP

Daniel Jeremiah ranks No. 88 pick Jordan Elliott as 67th-best player in draft: "Scheme-diverse ... offers high upside. with talent to become a starter in Year 1 or 2."

---------------------------------------------------------

11:06pm: Jordan Elliot is an interior rusher with intangibles but limited production. Boom or bust prospect at defensive tackle. At least they get some depth at 3-technique.

11:10pm: Elliot was ranked 23rd on PFF's big board! The Browns are only team with three players in the top-25 of PFF's big board. Analytics showing true in Berry's first draft.

------------------------------------------

October 1st of last year: 

PFF about our rookie 3rd round draft pick DT:

Quote:  The Browns look like they got one of the steals of the draft in third-round defensive tackle Jordan Elliott. His 77.0 overall grade is the highest of any rookie with at least 50 snaps — don’t be surprised to see his snap counts rise as the season wears on after playing only 82 through three games.

Yesterday:

Nathan Zegura@NathanZegura

DL Coach Chris Kiffin just told us that the guy he is most excited about this year in the DT room is Jordan Elliott...expecting a big jump in year 2

I hope this report is more than just wishful thinking because the only 'hole' with major question marks on the team is defensive interior.