What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

Maybe this has been addressed already, but what is Cleveland going to do with the $33M they still have in cap money? The CBA requires them to spend something like 95 or 98% of the cap. Do they have big up front money extensions on tap for Hayden and Mack or what?
They can play catch up next year

I'm not entirely comfortable being on the same side of an issue as Mac, but I really wasn't thrilled about the pick either for basically the same reasons. Shorts and t-shirt measurables, low production. Very skinny for a 3-4 olb.

I was even less thrilled today when I heard it pointed out that the Browns could have taken the deal the Rams gave Buffalo, drafted Jarvis Jones at 16 and had a 2nd round pick to boot. Jarvis Jones is a guy that has actually played 3-4 OLB and dominated in the SEC.

I'm not entirely comfortable being on the same side of an issue as Mac, but I really wasn't thrilled about the pick either for basically the same reasons. Shorts and t-shirt measurables, low production. Very skinny for a 3-4 olb.I was even less thrilled today when I heard it pointed out that the Browns could have taken the deal the Rams gave Buffalo, drafted Jarvis Jones at 16 and had a 2nd round pick to boot. Jarvis Jones is a guy that has actually played 3-4 OLB and dominated in the SEC.
I never like our drafts and we always suck. Gotta ask why everyone always acts like I am crazy. Anyway, jarvis and a two looks so much better, agreed. We are not any better, still the worst in the division, end of story.

I'm not entirely comfortable being on the same side of an issue as Mac, but I really wasn't thrilled about the pick either for basically the same reasons. Shorts and t-shirt measurables, low production. Very skinny for a 3-4 olb.I was even less thrilled today when I heard it pointed out that the Browns could have taken the deal the Rams gave Buffalo, drafted Jarvis Jones at 16 and had a 2nd round pick to boot. Jarvis Jones is a guy that has actually played 3-4 OLB and dominated in the SEC.
I never like our drafts and we always suck. Gotta ask why everyone always acts like I am crazy. Anyway, jarvis and a two looks so much better, agreed. We are not any better, still the worst in the division, end of story.
Is it just me or is this not a bad thing? I would rather go 0-16 this year and get the 1st pick then go 7-9 or even 9-7. The end goal is to win championships and you generally need elite QB play to do that. Quickest route there is through a high draft pick and there are several QBs who could be special in the draft next year.

The only problem is that the team might be too good to bottom out enough to grab a top #3 pick.

Mingo played contain at LSUheavily. wtf kind of stats are you expecting?
hope you're not talking to me because I never cited stats
thinking aloud.

reading forums, twitter and ppl citing "stats" as to why he isnt good.

Ive watched plenty of Mingo, I think he will be a beast in pass rush. Whatever helps us get better field position is aces in my books.

Now w Bess, Gordon, Richardson... we have some legit weapons. give grandpa a year at qb w turner before i bury him.

anyways... Mingo, MAC, you will be apologizing soon when he goes for 11+ sacks rookie year

I will say the same thing I did last year, i would love to be wrong. I think mingo is an average situational pass rusher. We would have been much better off with jarvis and a two. I also think we would be better off with Wheaton, Stedman, or Swope than Bess. Don't hate the Bess trade, but I think it caused us to miss some opportunities. Fully on board with McFadden though.

reading reviews on Mingo.

a lot of them say he's too small and that he's a boom or bust pick.

anyone have more info on him?
6'4'' 240lbs

Seems like a prototypical OLB size to me? He could probably add 10lbs to that frame easy.
IIt's small for a 3-4 OLB. They are normally 270-ish like Kruger.
Aldon Smith - Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) Weight: 258 lb (117 kg)

Demarcus Ware - Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) Weight: 260 lb (118 kg)

Terrell Suggs - Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 260 lb (118 kg)

James Harrison - Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) Weight: 242 lb (110 kg)

Clay Matthews - Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 255 lb (116 kg)

Brian Orakpo - Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) Weight: 257 lb (117 kg)

Justin Houston - Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 258 lb (117 kg)

Ryan Kerrigan - Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) Weight: 260 lb (118 kg)

Looks like most of the elite ones are in the 250-260 area, not 270ish.

If he can add a good 15 lbs to his frame, he will be just fine, IMO.
:goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, how are we just noticing this... dude are you available for the GM position next year?!!

Step off of the ledge, Brownies. I think you guys are doing fine in this draft and are closer to being a very good team than some of you seem to think. You've got what looks to me like a HOF LT, a heathen Hell-Beast of a RB, an owner with more money than God (a la Bisciotti to Ozzie :"How much money ya need, Oz? That 84" flat screens at each locker too small?". that stuff matters), a great CB, etc.... The pieces are falling into place.

As I posted in all of the other AFCN threads, I think the division is nailing it and is shaping up to be a bloodbath for years to come.

I guess as a Ravens fan, I'm supposed to hate when the other divisional teams are good but I love it.

We spent the offseason fixing a strength, front seven, because we are forcing a scheme change. Other than that a cb to slide buster inside and some veteran wrs. We are not any better. Hello another double digit loss season.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
PlasmaDogPlasma, on 26 Apr 2013 - 19:08, said:

Alright fellas. Tell us why Leon McFadden isn't a truly awful pick.
Seven cornerbacks were selected in round three.Leon McFadden had the highest rating of any of them.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker?module=HP11_content_stream#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-team-input:dt-by-team-input/dt-by-round-input:3

2(64)Jaguars Gratz, Dwayne CB 5'11" 201 Connecticut 62.1

6(68)Browns McFadden, Leon CB 5'10" 193 San Diego St. 80.7

7(69) Cardinals Mathieu, Tyrann CB 5'9" 186 LSU 73.0

8(70) Titans Wreh-Wilson, Blidi CB 6'1" 195 Connecticut 77.2

21(83) Patriots (From Vikings) Ryan, Logan CB 5'11" 191 Rutgers 69.0

28(90) Broncos Webster, Kayvon CB 5'10" 195 South Florida 52.0

31(93) Dolphins (From 49ers through Packers) Davis, Will CB 5'11" 186 Utah St. 71.0

Add every safety taken in the thrid round was rated lower than McFadden

9(71) Rams (From Bills) McDonald, T.J. FS 6'2" 219 USC 66.5

18(80) Cowboys Wilcox, J.J. FS 6'0" 213 Georgia Southern 77.0

22(84) Bengals Williams, Shawn SS 6'0" 213 Georgia 74.8

29(91) Patriots Harmon, Duron S 6'1" 200 Rutgers 50.3

Step off of the ledge, Brownies. I think you guys are doing fine in this draft and are closer to being a very good team than some of you seem to think. You've got what looks to me like a HOF LT, a heathen Hell-Beast of a RB, an owner with more money than God (a la Bisciotti to Ozzie :"How much money ya need, Oz? That 84" flat screens at each locker too small?". that stuff matters), a great CB, etc.... The pieces are falling into place. As I posted in all of the other AFCN threads, I think the division is nailing it and is shaping up to be a bloodbath for years to come. I guess as a Ravens fan, I'm supposed to hate when the other divisional teams are good but I love it.
The Browns have made some impressive moves.

A couple of months ago the only pass rusher the team had was DE Jabaal Sheard, he was IT. The ONLY ONE, PERIOD!

Then some things began to happen.

CEO Joe Banner hired Chud as HC. When he hired Chud Joe gave some interesting thoughts about the team. He said the defense was an issue and he would take steps to address it. Chud and Joe said they wanted an attacking-aggressive defense that got after the QB.

Chud then got two of the best coordinators in the NFL to run the offense and defense.

Ray Horton's defensive philosophy is an attacking-aggressive defense.

The team switched its base from a standard 4-3 to a 3-4. The only pass rusher was DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, that was it.

Free agency came, the team's first and most aggressive signing, as you know as a Raven fan, was to sign pass rushing OLB/DE Paul Kruger. They also signed OLB/DE Quentin Groves. Then in the first round they drafted OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo.

Within the span of a few months the Browns went from only having one pass rusher to having four who fit the new defense and the philosophy of an being an attacking-aggressive defense that Joe Banner and Rob Chudzinski and Ray Horton wanted to install.

Bannner has addressed the defense where it will apply pressure to opposing offenses.

With that sort of an attacking-aggressive defense the priority isn't to use top-ten draft picks on defensive backs. The first round pick of Mingo and then finding this kid McFadden in the third round look like a very solid draft to me because everything makes sense and is consistent with what Banner has said and done all along.

Anyone who hasn't been paying attention would want some other picks that do not fit the plan of action and momentum of changing the defene to fit the philosophy and scheme and coaches that have been installed.

I also love that Banner has been honest and said we won't be able to fill every hole this year, we won't but we certainly have made progress.

Step off of the ledge, Brownies. I think you guys are doing fine in this draft and are closer to being a very good team than some of you seem to think. You've got what looks to me like a HOF LT, a heathen Hell-Beast of a RB, an owner with more money than God (a la Bisciotti to Ozzie :"How much money ya need, Oz? That 84" flat screens at each locker too small?". that stuff matters), a great CB, etc.... The pieces are falling into place. As I posted in all of the other AFCN threads, I think the division is nailing it and is shaping up to be a bloodbath for years to come. I guess as a Ravens fan, I'm supposed to hate when the other divisional teams are good but I love it.
The Browns have made some impressive moves.

A couple of months ago the only pass rusher the team had was DE Jabaal Sheard, he was IT. The ONLY ONE, PERIOD!

Then some things began to happen.

CEO Joe Banner hired Chud as HC. When he hired Chud Joe gave some interesting thoughts about the team. He said the defense was an issue and he would take steps to address it. Chud and Joe said they wanted an attacking-aggressive defense that got after the QB.

Chud then got two of the best coordinators in the NFL to run the offense and defense.

Ray Horton's defensive philosophy is an attacking-aggressive defense.

The team switched its base from a standard 4-3 to a 3-4. The only pass rusher was DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, that was it.

Free agency came, the team's first and most aggressive signing, as you know as a Raven fan, was to sign pass rushing OLB/DE Paul Kruger. They also signed OLB/DE Quentin Groves. Then in the first round they drafted OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo.

Within the span of a few months the Browns went from only having one pass rusher to having four who fit the new defense and the philosophy of an being an attacking-aggressive defense that Joe Banner and Rob Chudzinski and Ray Horton wanted to install.

Bannner has addressed the defense where it will apply pressure to opposing offenses.

With that sort of an attacking-aggressive defense the priority isn't to use top-ten draft picks on defensive backs. The first round pick of Mingo and then finding this kid McFadden in the third round look like a very solid draft to me because everything makes sense and is consistent with what Banner has said and done all along.

Anyone who hasn't been paying attention would want some other picks that do not fit the plan of action and momentum of changing the defene to fit the philosophy and scheme and coaches that have been installed.

I also love that Banner has been honest and said we won't be able to fill every hole this year, we won't but we certainly have made progress.
very :goodposting:

How many points will this new defense score?
Weak retort.
our problem last year was not defense. It was offense. We have fixed a problem that didn't exist and ignored the real issue.
Totally!!! They are so bad they will probably go 0-17. Chud & Norv replacing Shurmer and BTK, and running an offense that actually suits the personnel? Laaaaaame. Healthy TRich? Pfffft. No help. Healthy Pinkston? Blows. Slot receiver who has averaged 60+ catches over 5 years? Gaaaayyy. 4th WR Nelson? Are we sure he really had 61 catches and 5 TDs 2 yrs ago? Letting MoMass go? Dude was about to blow up. SHOULD HAVE TAKEN GENO AT 6 THAT WOULD HAVE FIXED EVERYTHING!!!

Weak retort.
our problem last year was not defense. It was offense. We have fixed a problem that didn't exist and ignored the real issue.
I know you've been against the defensive scheme change from the get-go, I just don't think the D was as good as you thought it was. It may have been the least horrible part of the team, but that doesn't mean it was a strength or something worth building around.

You're saying they ignored the real issue and should've focused their efforts on fixing the offense, but that all starts with the quarterback and there just wasn't one available this year.

If they had missed out on a significant QB upgrade (either FA or draft) because they were switching the defense over I'd be inclined to agree with you, but it doesn't look like they did.

Honestly, I think the pieces are actually in place for a solid offense with Trent, Gordon & Jordan as the focal pieces - and once they upgrade their QB next year, and add another WR (assuming Little doesn't show huge improvement), then they'll really be set.

It just feels like you're hating for the sake of hating sometimes in this thread... Which is cool, I get it. Years, or decades, of watching the Browns can turn anyone cynical. I know how thin patience has gotten in this city, and nobody wants 2013 to be yet another building year, but I don't know. I think they've had a pretty good offseason all things considered.

Tell ya what, here's a picture of Cameron Jordan's girlfriend to brighten your spirits and keep this discussion friendly. Cheers.

to the Steelers of all teams. Ugh

hope they got something good for that pick, they are out of the 4th round
Que Bill Murray:

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria

Weak retort.
How many games last year did we lose because the defense couldn't hold a lead? Philly, Dallas, Baltimore, NY Giants all come to mind immediately. Maybe defense is a bigger issue than some of us realize.

What did the Browns get from the Dolphins for the first trade down?

nevermind, I realize this is from the Bess deal.

Got the Steelers 3rd next year.
Wow, that is great!

We traded down in this round and picked up a WR who can come in and start and then are able to trade it to the Steelers for their third next year.

I think they could have a down year.

This year they were picking in the middle of the round so I would expect about the same or a possibly a lil-higher in the round next year.

Users who are viewing this thread