Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

Yup. I couldn't believe the weird shovel pass when he was scrambling around on that final 4th down play. Throw the ball at somebody. See if something miraculous happens.

There's almost nothing in football that frustrates me more than QBs that won't throw the ball into traffic on 4th down or the last play of a half. Maybe guys who can't wait until they get to the endzone to start celebrating.
  • Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAC_32

• ghostguy123

• amnesiac

• Bracie Smathers

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course he was concussed...I'm sure Haley kept reminding him on the sideline he was concussed.  Haley wasn't going to let him back in that game, Hue be damned.   Taylor: Coach, I can play.  I ju

This isn't going to be a "only positive comments allowed" type thing. But don't do what you did. And you know what you did. If you've got something constructive to discuss about how the team

Ryan Engle‏ @rengle83 13h13 hours ago I read the survival handbook for these situations. If you’re attacked by a Jermaine Whitehead, just pretend like you’re a tight end running at a moderate pac

The local radio guys are working Weeden over pretty good, but I wonder if the blame shouldn't extend to the top of the organization. How in the world can you look at last year's team & essentially do nothing more than change coaches?

Weeden is Weeden. Skrine is Skrine. Little is Little. Is anybody surprised?

• Like 1

the little bits of the game i was able to see, it seemed like there were some decent plays, but Weeden was throwing the ball so damn hard on the short routes, the receivers couldn't catch the ball. it was like the ball was richoceting off of them. doesn't seem to have any touch at all.

this is opposed to Anderson, who used to throw those balls at the reciever's feet.

i'm officially in the "Weeden Sucks" camp now.

• Like 1

The local radio guys are working Weeden over pretty good, but I wonder if the blame shouldn't extend to the top of the organization. How in the world can you look at last year's team & essentially do nothing more than change coaches?

weak QB class.

only other options were someone like Matt Flynn or Carson Palmer.

like Mac said, they are not in win now mode.

not defending the organization, just guessing at what they were thinking.

Lets go back a few months to draft time.

No one was beating the drum to use the top pick on a quarterback because they were afraid of Geno Smith and the other names being bandied about were Matt Barkley and they kid Tampa Bay took later in the draft, a small minority were softly speaking about Manuel but the majority did not want a QB with the top pick.

OK, no QB. What other position?

Going down the list, the next highest priority on the team was cornerback and clearly the top corner in the draft was Dee Milliner. OK, draft time comes and the team takes OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo. The Dee Milliner camp cries and whines and weeps. Barkevious gets injured and the Dee Milliner camp thumps their chest and says. I was right, see. Blah blah blah.

Dee Millner started in his first NFL game. How did CB Dee Milliner do?

He got benched 34 plays into his rookie season for screwing up and giving up the game winning touchdown.

Pro Football Focus@PFF17h

What got Dee Milliner benched? Well this mental goof certainly started the ball rolling: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/13/analysis-notebook-thursday-night-football-week-2/

I'm glad the front office improved the defensive front seven, the top two free agenst both colletcted sacks and looked good and even Quentin Groves proved he can rush the passer as he had a sack too. I'm also happy with the pick of Mingo.

Trading picks in this year's draft for future higher picks in next year's draft gives them ammo to manuver up for a QB. Also they own the highest cap number of any NFL team right now. Last year they used their free agent dollars judiciously to improve the front seven of the D and didn't get old guys so our front seven should be solid for years.

Its pretty early to make any definitite statements about the team until we get Lauvuo back to plug the gaping hole of Oniel Cousins. It may take another week until we see more of Mingo but I'm very eager to see him in real NFL action. Obviously we'd all like to see what Josh Gordon can do once he returns next week. Later in the year OG Jason Pinkston will be back to provide depth/competition at the guard position and at 100% we may have one of the strongest offensive lines in the lague. And with a real NFL O-Line in front of T-Rich we know he is capable of so-much-more.

Last year people were complaining we couldn't stop the run and they were right. First game, 23 carries and only giviing up 20 yards for a .09 average per rush attempt and ???? Nothing. No one has said a word positive about the vast improvement in the rush defense. Last year the only proven pass rusher we had was Jabaal Sheard and now we are loaded with pass rushers.

So looking at the team right now, yeah we do have a huge hole at cornerback and we honestly don't know what Weeden can do behind a legitimate NFL offensive line or when he's got his #1 WR or when his RB is operating behind a line that gives him holes. So I want to see those things in place and THEN SEE what Weeden can do before I make definitive statements about the quarterback position.

But the people who know more probably still want Dee Milliner.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/13/analysis-notebook-thursday-night-football-week-2/

Weeden is Weeden. Skrine is Skrine. Little is Little. Is anybody surprised?

qbs like most rookies usually make the most progress year two, if he is worth a damn he will show it this year regardless of the lack of changes made around him.

So we put Geno Smith or E.J. Manuel or Matt Barkely or the kid that Tampa took and we say. Oh boy we got our QB now lets set them for failue by......

- Having our starting OG go down with an ankle injury

- Having our backup OG go down with an ankle injury

- Putting in shlub Oniel Cousing in who can't get low and loses the leverage game so he is a turnstyle in both run blocking and pass protection

- With no run blocking we basically remove our best offensive weapon, RB Trent Richardson

- Have our top wide receiver get suspended the first two games.

Now lets see Geno or E.J. or Barkley or the kid from Tampa light it up. Obviously Weeden whipped up a batch of purple drank for Josh Gordonn and he took out the ankles of his guards. If we would of drafted a rookie QB everything would be smoth sailing.

Brownies, what's your take on what happens vs the Ravens tomorrow?

From a Ravens' fan's perspective, it appears that Baltimore won't be able to run much and that Haden will shut Smith down leaving the Ravens with a limited amount of options. On the other side of the ball, I think Cleveland is going to have a hard time scoring. Peyton lit the new defense up, yes, but Weedon and his receivers are more manageable. Richardson scares the hell out of me, but up-front is where Baltimore is strongest.

Brownies, what's your take on what happens vs the Ravens tomorrow?

From a Ravens' fan's perspective, it appears that Baltimore won't be able to run much and that Haden will shut Smith down leaving the Ravens with a limited amount of options. On the other side of the ball, I think Cleveland is going to have a hard time scoring. Peyton lit the new defense up, yes, but Weedon and his receivers are more manageable. Richardson scares the hell out of me, but up-front is where Baltimore is strongest.

No Josh Gordon.

Travis Benjam nursing a sore leg.

Greg Little back to dropping passes.

Oneil Cousins starting at OG which wipes out run blocking for T-Rich to get to the second level where he does most damage.

Onei at RG hampers ORT Mitchell Schwartz who struggles against athletic-quick and low-to-the-ground pass rushers like Cameron Wake.

See how Wake destroyed Schwartz last week.

Go to the video but this site focuses soley on Mitchell Schwartz but Mitchell was very good in pass pro last year when he had a real NFL guard starting next to him, not Oneil Cousins.

Go to the link to see the gif vids of Wake's sacks.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/74387/the-trenchie-awards-the-eagles-offensive-line-cam-wakes-destruction-and-the-best-line-play-from-week-1

Cameron Wake, Miami Dolphins

I could get into the details of Wake’s three-sack, six-hit game against Cleveland, but I’m tempted to just let these images speak for themselves. Footage of what Wake did to Mitchell Schwartz on Sunday should come with a parental advisory warning. On the third sack below, the Browns decided the move was to slide their protection away from Wake and use a running back to block the best pure pass rusher in the league. The result is pure carnage. Actually, don’t watch these. It’s that bad.

This week Oneil Cousins will have Haloti Ngata lined up against him so that is instant death. Add Schwartz has Doom lined up against him to make it death to the second power.

Add, no Josh Gordon and possibly no Travis Benjamiin which means you may see Gurely lined up at WR. Yes we may have a GURLEY MAN lined up at WR this week. Add Ahtyba Rubin is out and CB Buster Skrine is bad and his shoulder is gimped up and you are not facing Peyton Manning this week.

So you don't have to worry about T-Rich or Josh Gordon and our O-line is screwed and our second corner sucks and you have ten days to prepare to play a game at home where you unveil your SB banner.

Call me nutty but I think you have a slight advantage.

Well I think the Ravens defense is not stronger as many were saying this offseason. I thought that was ludicrous. Losing three of your four starting linebackers and losing three of your four starting defensive backs is too much to replace and then mesh together into a cohesive unit.

The leadership lost in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed alone is significant. I don't care how old and gimped up those guys were/are if they were on the field in Denver week one their is no way that Ray Lewis would allow that many points/yards. He would have put a stop to that by sheer will power.

So if you want to complain about your defense you are justified. It will take time but facing Peyton Manning on the road itching to get even for a playoff loss is one set of circumstances but facing Brandon Weeden and a beat up third string OG starting O-Line and a WR corps with zero threats is totally different.

I doubt you'll find any optimistic Browns fans till we get Josh Gordon and our starting guard back but go ahead and try to find one. It will be intersting if someone has a different take.

Well I think the Ravens defense is not stronger as many were saying this offseason. I thought that was ludicrous. Losing three of your four starting linebackers and losing three of your four starting defensive backs is too much to replace and then mesh together into a cohesive unit.

The leadership lost in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed alone is significant. I don't care how old and gimped up those guys were/are if they were on the field in Denver week one their is no way that Ray Lewis would allow that many points/yards. He would have put a stop to that by sheer will power.

So if you want to complain about your defense you are justified. It will take time but facing Peyton Manning on the road itching to get even for a playoff loss is one set of circumstances but facing Brandon Weeden and a beat up third string OG starting O-Line and a WR corps with zero threats is totally different.

I doubt you'll find any optimistic Browns fans till we get Josh Gordon and our starting guard back but go ahead and try to find one. It will be intersting if someone has a different take.

I don't remember people saying they are stronger. It wouldn't have matter who was in there for the Ravens since they weren't prepared for the weapons the Broncos have. They won't be a top defensive team but I expect a major improvement this week.

I don't care how old and gimped up those guys were/are if they were on the field in Denver week one their is no way that Ray Lewis would allow that many points/yards. He would have put a stop to that by sheer will power.

No, he wouldn't have. Ray was a liability on the field and most of the guys had long ago stopped listening to him.

I'm not downplaying what Lewis has been for the Ravens, but this keeps getting overstated by the national media.

i agree, i was one who believed the Baltimore defense would actually be better this year. by the end of the year that could still be the case.

also i picked Baltimore to win the AFC North. followed by Cincy with the Browns and Steelers essentially tied for last place.

this weekend will likely go a long way to show if those predictions have any validity.

So we put Geno Smith or E.J. Manuel or Matt Barkely or the kid that Tampa took and we say. Oh boy we got our QB now lets set them for failue by......

- Having our starting OG go down with an ankle injury

- Having our backup OG go down with an ankle injury

- Putting in shlub Oniel Cousing in who can't get low and loses the leverage game so he is a turnstyle in both run blocking and pass protection

- With no run blocking we basically remove our best offensive weapon, RB Trent Richardson

- Have our top wide receiver get suspended the first two games.

Now lets see Geno or E.J. or Barkley or the kid from Tampa light it up. Obviously Weeden whipped up a batch of purple drank for Josh Gordonn and he took out the ankles of his guards. If we would of drafted a rookie QB everything would be smoth sailing.

None of our OGs were all that good to start with. Nor was Little. How about the G...A...P...I...N...G holes in the secondary????

I didn't have a problem going with Weeden for a second year, but how about the rest of the problems?

Here is what the prognosticators say, pretty much unanimous........

Don Banks of SI.com believes the Ravens will win by two touchdowns.

Ravens 27, Browns 13: The Ravens aren't as bad as they looked over the course of the last 40 minutes of the game in Denver, but Peyton Manning in the zone can do damage to your self-esteem. The Browns came up small once again in their home-opener, and quarterback Brandon Weeden is immediately under pressure to prove he's not headed for bust-ville (as opposed to, say, Canton). Denied their party last week by a scheduling conflict with the Orioles, the Ravens will probably hang their Super Bowl banner and try to get the bad taste out of their mouth at Cleveland's expense. Baltimore's homefield advantage remains one of its most trusted assets.

* Mike Florio and Michael David Smith of ProFootballTalk also predict a victory for the Ravens.

MDS’s take: The Ravens gave up seven touchdown passes to Peyton Manning in Week One. I feel reasonably confident saying they will not give up seven touchdown passes to Brandon Weeden in Week Two. The Browns’ offense looked pretty bad in the opener and will continue to look pretty bad in the second game of the season.

MDS’s pick: Ravens 21, Browns 7.

Florio’s take: Brandon Weeden is no Peyton Manning. He’s also no Eli Manning. And he may be no Cooper Manning. Besides, with 10 days to prepare and a superior team on both sides of the ball, the old Browns will get to .500 as the new Browns stake out more familiar territory at 0-2.

Florio’s pick: Ravens 34, Browns 17.

* The Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer's "Lock of the Week" is the Ravens beating the Browns.

Joe Flacco and the Ravens have had a long time to recover from Peyton Manning's shellacking, and they should be pumped for their home opener as Super Bowl champions. And oh yeah, since Flacco and coach John Harbaugh have led the team, it has never lost to the new/old Browns (10-0), with an average scoring margin of 13 points. The same Browns who just lost by 13 at home to the Dolphins. It's an NFL homecoming game. Ravens 27, Browns 10.

* CBS Sports' Pete Prisco also believes the Ravens will win, but he thinks it will be close.

Ravens 21, Browns 13: The Ravens will have had a long time to stew over their opening-night loss to the Broncos. They looked battered after that one, but I see them bouncing back here. The Browns struggled on offense against Miami, and that continues here. Baltimore gets back on track.

* NFL.com's Elliot Harrison expects the Ravens to win in a blowout.

Cleveland usually plays Baltimore very tough ... that's why I'm predicting a blowout. Actually, my sense is that the Ravens -- particularly their defense -- will be extremely fired up to put kickoff night in Denver behind them. New Browns coach Rob Chudzinski is going to get this deal turned around eventually -- just not in Week 2 against an angry Terrell Suggs-fueled pass rush that will aim to do what the Miami Dolphins did to the Browns in Week 1: collapse the pocket around Brandon Weeden. So Chudzinski will have to "max protect", which means either leaving tight end Jordan Cameron in to block more or choosing not to send the backs out. Figure on the latter scenario, as Cameron was the most heavily used target in the passing game last Sunday (nine catches for 108 yards). What a bright spot for the Browns he's becoming.

* Yahoo Sports' Frank Schwab and Les Carpenter pick the Ravens.

* All seven USA Today analysts expect the Ravens to win, and Jim Corbett uses his "Lock of the Week" pick on them.

* All 13 ESPN analysts predict a win for the Ravens.

* Phil Simms and Cris Collinsworth, picking for Showtime's Inside the NFL, also take the Ravens.

* All five NFL.com Around The League analysts expect the Ravens to win.

* CBS Sports' Denny Burkholder and former professional wrestler Jake "The Snake" Roberts each predict a victory for the Ravens.

top 5 pick. again.

:goodposting:

2-3 wins maybe.

at Vikings - lose

Bengals - lose

Bills - chance for a win?

Lions - lose

at Packers - lose

at Chiefs - lose

Ravens - lose

at Bengals - lose

Steelers - chance of a win?

Jaguars - chance of a win

at Patriots - lose

Bears - lose

at Jets - lose

at Steelers - lose

top 5 pick. again.

:goodposting:

2-3 wins maybe.

at Vikings - lose

Bengals - lose

Bills - chance for a win?

Lions - lose

at Packers - lose

at Chiefs - lose

Ravens - lose

at Bengals - lose

Steelers - chance of a win?

Jaguars - chance of a win

at Patriots - lose

Bears - lose

at Jets - lose

at Steelers - lose

lions can lose to anyone on any given day

they almost beat the ravens today, maybe next time

jets they have a shot

i mean, it is not looking good, but better than this

wheedon has to go, right?

they almost beat the ravens today, maybe next time

wheedon has to go, right?

they did NOT almost beat the Ravens, in my opinion.

and yes, Weeden is going to be done about midsession when Chud puts in Campbell to try to at least win a couple games to save face.

any chance they draft Manziel??

:scared:

Doesn't seem like their type. Too much of a loose cannon. Manziel needs to go to a Chip Kelly or Rex Ryan type.

You are right, he is not their type... he is good.

Cleveland has the worst coaching staff and front office in all of sports in my opinion, they would not even have a clue to use him. Heck they do not have a clue on how to use their hoss RB and best player.

Oh, and as far as Gordon coming back... he is still a Brown and will be coached by this team with Weeden throwing to him, not that big of a help in my eyes.

Edited by Phenix

There's going to be some awesome bumps in this thread 8 months from now. We're going to see how correct some of you are compared to Tom Heckert. Let's just say I'm not betting on your ability to evaluate 4th-7th round talent in the NFL Draft :lol:

I'll make it easy on you so you can just bump one post *We had zero plan B for Kendall Wright in round 1 so we panicked and took Weeden, I've been saying for weeks my biggest concern is what we'll do at WR if take Richardson early because I didn't think the top 3 would fall and the drop off was large after them. Somehow these guys didn't make a plan if that happened. Astonishing. *Us in 2013 = Jax and Minny in 2012, content with our 2nd rate QB and won't make a move for a clearly superior option *Us in 2014 = Jax and Minny in 2013, firings in front office in large part due to the above *Massaquoi is the worst starting wide receiver in the league, yeah we got sniped for Wright and the drop off at WR was quite large after him but there's a large blanket of WR's out there and we didn't pick a single one to try and take Massaquoi's spot. No, the midget 4th WR/kick returner we reached on doesn't count. *I won't pretend to know anything about Jon Hughes, but I do know that no one else was likely considering him for more than 100 picks so regardless of how he pans out it was a dumb pick because we could have made better picks at 87, 101, 120, and 160 then came back with him with one of the comp picks in the 6th. *Similar case, but less severe with Benjamin, no one was probably looking at him for at least another round. If you wanted him so bad then get a legit potential #2 WR at pick 101 then come back with Benjamin at 160 - he was going to be there. *At least 2 of Criner, McNutt, Childs, Sanu, and Owusu who we could've drafted at 87 will have meaningful roles on their teams (if Childs over comes his knee and Owusu his head more will), at least 1 will be a starter. All have the potential to play the outside WR position that we so badly need upgraded. *We will lose at least 10 games and will probably be picking in the top 5 again, my only hope is that we are somewhat watchable unlike last year but my hopes are not high obviously.

A lot of you coming at me with fire and pitchforks a year and a half ago, but this seemed to summarize it best.

Blind optimism --> Disappointment.

Scenario: we don't draft a QB I'm done with this team. Biggest need was QB and they draft a no name in round 5. Brilliant

Nope. If we either traded a pick to move up and get Wright then come back with Schwartz at the top of the 2nd or used the 22 and 37 to move up and get Floyd (heard we only offered 22 and 67 with AZ because we wanted 37 for Weeden) I would LOVE this draft. Even with the bonehead Hughes move. Richardson Wright Schwartz Developmental QB JMJ Hughes Acho Winn Wade Smelley That's a $ draft.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: So taking Weeden and Benjamin rather than Wright and random developmental QB takes this draft from '$' to setting them back 3-5 years? Stop. Seriously.

Ok, this too. Only 2 years down the tubes because the old regime was shown the door a year early.

any chance they draft Manziel??

:scared:

Doesn't seem like their type. Too much of a loose cannon. Manziel needs to go to a Chip Kelly or Rex Ryan type.

You are right, he is not their type... he is good.

Cleveland has the worst coaching staff and front office in all of sports in my opinion, they would not even have a clue to use him. Heck they do not have a clue on how to use their hoss RB and best player.

Oh, and as far as Gordon coming back... he is still a Brown and will be coached by this team with Weeden throwing to him, not that big of a help in my eyes.

Richardson has played lousy. He's not on the field enough or at the right time, but when he is he is not playing well. Someone needs to get his his ear and tell him to run north and south - stop dancing.

I have to say that the O-line play is the real surprise of the season so far. We know Cousins is bad, but I didn't know Schwartz was this bad- dude is getting beat consistently right now. And the left side of the line isn't playing that great right now either- I don't see any massive holes opening up for Richardson over there.

List of crap players that are not at all surprising:

Greg Little

Brandon Weeden

Buster Skrine

Chris Owens

I have to say that the O-line play is the real surprise of the season so far. We know Cousins is bad, but I didn't know Schwartz was this bad- dude is getting beat consistently right now. And the left side of the line isn't playing that great right now either- I don't see any massive holes opening up for Richardson over there.

Greg Little

Brandon Weeden

Buster Skrine

Chris Owens

Schwartz will be fine once Lauvao gets back, he's over compensating because he doesn't trust Cousins. O line talent means nothing if they don't work together and trust each other. None of them trust Cousins and it's effecting their play.

Greg Little

Brandon Weeden

Buster Skrine

Chris Owens

Schwartz will be fine once Lauvao gets back, he's over compensating because he doesn't trust Cousins. O line talent means nothing if they don't work together and trust each other. None of them trust Cousins and it's effecting their play.

And they don't have an NFL fullback to give Schwartz some help. Infuriating.

Greg Little

Brandon Weeden

Buster Skrine

Chris Owens

And they don't have an NFL fullback to give Schwartz some help. Infuriating.

This still surprises me. IIRC Norv likes to use the FB. The Terminator is just sitting out there. Makes no sense. Except that it goes along with my playing for 2014 theory. They seem to be taking it to a level I didn't expect they would though.

The difference for Schwartz from last year to this is that last year he was in a primarily 3-step drop offense. This year they're taking a lot more deeper drops and pass rushers know it and are taking wider angles which exposes Schwartz' lack of quickness and lateral movement.

Also, the fact that he's seen guys like Wake, Dumervil and Suggs lined up on that side is obviously a factor.

Not providing this team with a real fullback is a crime in my opinion.

The difference for Schwartz from last year to this is that last year he was in a primarily 3-step drop offense. This year they're taking a lot more deeper drops and pass rushers know it and are taking wider angles which exposes Schwartz' lack of quickness and lateral movement.

Also, the fact that he's seen guys like Wake, Dumervil and Suggs lined up on that side is obviously a factor.

Good point. Also doesn't help that they're telegraphing the pass whenever Weeden is in shot gun...and the run when he is under center. I'll bet the stats are maddening.

Good point. Also doesn't help that they're telegraphing the pass whenever Weeden is in shot gun...and the run when he is under center. I'll bet the stats are maddening.

Not only that, you know they are gonna pass every 3rd down with Obenyakohfkhkho in there. You waste a 3rd overall pick on a guy you are gonna just use for 2 downs? LOL, no wonder so many NFL execs lose jobs making these horrible mistakes. I am baffled after watching yesterday, they did everything on offense to give that game away.

I've seen silent-G get run over several times already.

Just an absolutely :goodposting:

Is anybody else finding it harder and harder to care about how inept the Browns are? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 15 straight years..... :wall:

My recommendation is to start with exceedingly low expectations.

Maybe these guys will fix QB before 2014...maybe add another WR too...and there will be something to look forward to. We'll see.