What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (16 Viewers)

I like trading TRich to the Colts. I wish him the best, but I didn't like the pick from the very beginning. The Browns now have 2 first round picks, 2 third round picks and 2 fourth round picks.

The Colts having on their schedule:

49ers

Seahawks

Broncos

Texans x 2

Bengals

Chiefs

I could easily see the Colts winning less than the 11 games they won last year.

If the Browns are going this direction they should just let Hoyer start the rest of the year.

Richardson now, Gordon later, then Weeden, if you're cutting ties to the old regime, you might as just use a scimitar and do it all the way.

I still contend the biggest mistake of the franchise in recent years was giving Pat a 2nd year (which kept Holmgren and Co. here longer). It was so obvious.
rg3 was worse. Trade for him. Then garcon comes here. Then chip comes here instead of settling for Vick.
You're assuming alot.I mean, canning that regime one year earlier could have the same result.
not wild assumptions.

I like trading TRich to the Colts. I wish him the best, but I didn't like the pick from the very beginning. The Browns now have 2 first round picks, 2 third round picks and 2 fourth round picks.

The Colts having on their schedule:

49ers

Seahawks

Broncos

Texans x 2

Bengals

Chiefs

I could easily see the Colts winning less than the 11 games they won last year.
colts are a playoff team

Never ever seen so many Browns related threads on page 1 all at once. Literally upwards of 15-20 right now....and some bumps like waiver wire D's this week that are probably pimping the Vikings...I just don't have time to look! Banner and Lombardi got us in the news!

I feel sorry for Browns fans and this is coming from a Raiders fan. I am shocked that the Browns didn't receive more in compenstion. I have to wonder what the 9ers, Rams, or Giants would have given in compensation for TRich.

Last edited by a moderator:
its way early, but i believe this trade will be a wash or slightly favor the Browns.
I think you're right. The pick they got isn't going to translate into a game changing franchise player unless they package it with other picks and move up. Loved the excitement TRich brought and I think he would haved worked here but it's obvious Banner & Lombardi want to wash the Holmgren stink off the team as soon as possible. I think it absolutely sucks for us fans though. Sitting down at the table now to take another bite of the big poop sammich we call the Browns.

Think there will be blackouts this year?
Yes, starting with the next home game.

not if they win in Minnesota this Sunday.
I'd say Lombardi has seen two games and said "enough."

Hoyer is starting, give Rainey & Oggy a shot with McGahee a fallback, get Gordon out there and let's see what happens.

The Vikes aren't exactly worldbeaters. This is the kind of situation a young team can rally around.

Hoyer is starting, give Rainey & Oggy a shot with McGahee a fallback, get Gordon out there and let's see what happens.

The Vikes aren't exactly worldbeaters. This is the kind of situation a young team can rally around.
Yes, I'm sure the locker room is abuzz with all the possibilities that have opened up before them this season. I'd pay money to put Joe Thomas in a room with Banner & Lombardi and have them walk him through the thought process behind this trade. Oh, and why they will probably be booting his C to the curb next year as well :thumbup:

This may be a good deal or a bad one, unsure, but throwing in the towel on the season week 2 is really shocking. I would not blame fans for making this new regime prove itself before supporting them.

tough pill to swallow

Yes, I'm sure the locker room is abuzz with all the possibilities that have opened up before them this season. I'd pay money to put Joe Thomas in a room with Banner & Lombardi and have them walk him through the thought process behind this trade. Oh, and why they will probably be booting his C to the curb next year as well :thumbup:
yes because they didn't get a deal done before this season they must want to get rid of him.

I am not trying to rub this in, just an honest question

do browns fans want this team to win any games this season, or after this move would you just as soon maximize the draft pick?

They couldve at least traded him at the deadline and gotten another eight weeks out of him. Were they that terrified of being competitive this year?

I cannot recall a team quitting so early in the year. And I dont like to use that term, because its overused, but in this instance it sadly applies.

do browns fans want this team to win any games this season, or after this move would you just as soon maximize the draft pick?
We don't want the Colts to win any more games this season, that's for sure.

3 weeks ago most fans would have said their ceiling was about 8 wins and Weeden might be at least good enough to get them to the playoffs in the next year or two with the right pieces around him.

After the first 2 games most thought their ceiling was about 5 wins and Weeden was not the long term answer.

What is the point in winning 5 games? Might as well win 1 and get the QB of your choice and not have to package picks. They will still have a lot of other needs (RB, WR, OG, CB, S)

3 weeks ago most fans would have said their ceiling was about 8 wins and Weeden might be at least good enough to get them to the playoffs in the next year or two with the right pieces around him.

After the first 2 games most thought their ceiling was about 5 wins and Weeden was not the long term answer.

What is the point in winning 5 games? Might as well win 1 and get the QB of your choice and not have to package picks. They will still have a lot of other needs (RB, WR, OG, CB, S)
logically that makes sense

i am just trying to gauge if fans are thinking that

I want certain aspects of the team to show they are a part of the team's core going forward. The front 7, Haden, the o line, and Cameron. I want a decision made on Gordon, Mack, and Ward. Clarity going into the offseason, but with something to work with. That's ideal. I'm not going to actively root for L's, but I'm not going to be disappointed if we get a lot of them.

They couldve at least traded him at the deadline and gotten another eight weeks out of him. Were they that terrified of being competitive this year?

I cannot recall a team quitting so early in the year. And I dont like to use that term, because its overused, but in this instance it sadly applies.
Who's to say this trade would be on the table in 1 week, let alone 8?

Fans are illogical, if front offices make decisions based off what the fans want they will be one of them in short time because they won't be working in the front office of the NFL anymore.

Fans are illogical, if front offices make decisions based off what the fans want they will be one of them in short time because they won't be working in the front office of the NFL anymore.
yeah i get that decisions are not made based on the fans

that does not make the fans feelings moot

clearly the front office has given up on the season, i am curious if fans have

and by the way, if they piss off the fans enough they won't be working for the front office either

It's amazing how fast things can change. This is Michael Lombardi right before the 2012 draft:

1. I believe the safest pick in the draft -- beyond Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- is Alabama running back Trent Richardson. He's a blue-chip player and has all the skills to quickly establish himself as a top-five player at his position. Forget the nonsense about not taking backs early -- everyone would love the chance to get this guy.

I think the Browns go into Minneapolis and shock everyone this week.

The defense hasn't changed. They alone could win this game. Gordon is back. Weeden is being replaced by a guy they believe in. I'll be cheering for them... partly because I'm a Packer fan, partly because it's against what everyone else is thinking is going to happen.

:popcorn:

Tank for Teddy baby

I've seen this season, I know how it ends and I know all the pain & sorrow that will accompany it. I live in SC, don't have the ticket and listen to the games on the radio. Read that carefully, I LISTEN TO EVERY GAME ON THE RADIO. I'm as devoted to this team as anyone else in this thread, I get up every year in the pre-season, I find all the good there is to find with our years of horrible draft picks. So we win 2 or 3 games this year? Meh, doesn't trouble me because we weren't going to win many more than that with a healthy Weeden & Richardson. This is just another in a long line of disappoints by this team and the latest band of merry men that think they can manage it. I've built up so much scar tissue over the years that the initial shot always hurts but it scars over fairly quickly now, I shrug and move on.

yeah i get that decisions are not made based on the fans

that does not make the fans feelings moot

clearly the front office has given up on the season, i am curious if fans have

and by the way, if they piss off the fans enough they won't be working for the front office either
I don't think the front office has given up on this season. That would assume that they had positive expectations for this season to begin with. As MAC_32 has said over and over again in this thread, when they didn't make picks in the 4th and 5th rounds of the draft, we knew that this season was a lost cause. You can't give up on something you never believed in.

I am shocked that the Browns didn't receive more in compenstion.
meanwhile the rest of the world is shocked that they were able to get a 1st round pick for an unproven RB. The Jets got a mid 1st and a 3rd/4th for Revis, a top player at a premier position.
Who was rehabbing an injury and was going to be a free agent. Lowers the price quite a bit.

meanwhile the rest of the world is shocked that they were able to get a 1st round pick for an unproven RB. The Jets got a mid 1st and a 3rd/4th for Revis, a top player at a premier position.
Not sure where you get your news, but to a person every talking head on Sirius didn't understand the trade from the Browns POV. To quote Polin, "This trade does not compute." This trade feels more knee than well thought out. At minimum the Browns should have approached other teams to see if they could up the compensation.

Not sure where you get your news, but to a person every talking head on Sirius didn't understand the trade from the Browns POV. To quote Polin, "This trade does not compute." This trade feels more knee than well thought out. At minimum the Browns should have approached other teams to see if they could up the compensation.
:lmao: yes I'm sure teams would have been lining up to give more than a 1st rounder for a RB averaging 3.5 yds per carry. You get an offer like that you don't shop around, you jump on it before the other guy changes his mind.

The check collector chimes in:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23745639/mike-holmgren-rips-browns-wouldve-quit-after-trent-richardson-trade

Holmgren rips Browns for Richardson trade, says he would have quit
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
September 20, 2013 8:03 am ET

The outrage surrounding the Trent Richardson trade -- Cleveland sent him to Indy for a first-round pick -- has been strong. Go ahead and add Mike Holmgren to the list of people who don't like it.

Holmgren, who actually drafted Richardson No. 3 overall in 2012, said if he was coaching the Browns they would've had to "fire me" after the deal they made.

"I struggled with it,'' Holmgren said on Sports Radio KJR via Cleveland.com. "Philosophically, if I am the coach and someone came in anywhere and did that, I'd say 'OK, fire me, or I'm going to quit. Or we're going to both go into the owner and talk about this and the we'll see who's still standing."

There's some obvious bias here, of course. Holmgren loves Richardson. He made him the Browns top-overall pick out of Alabama two years ago. He believes Richardson is too "valuable" and that the Browns aren't improving their team for 2013 by moving him to the Colts.

"How do you make your team better by trading your best player?'' he said. "He's the best offensive player. He's a valuable, valuable guy.''

In fact, Holmgren's beef appears to be the same thing Browns fans have been screaming about for 48 hours: he thinks trading Richardson amounts to tanking.

"To me, they're putting all their eggs for next season,'' said Holmgren. "They started off 0-2, they couldn't score any points, I think it was a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction. There's a little bit of a 'what's going on?' I don't know this for sure but I can sense it."

But what about the pick coming back? Well, Holmgren makes an interesting point on that. He believes the Colts selection will be somewhere in the 23 or 24 range (I'm dubious it's that high, but we'll see) and notes that to move up and get a quarterback is a pretty tough thing to do.

"Indianapolis is probably going to have a pretty good year, so that pick is probably going to be 23, 24, right in there," Holmgren said. "And to package something [to move up in the draft], we couldn't package our 4 and our 7 for [Robert Griffin III] last year and we had more ammunition."

Well, the Browns could have packaged enough to move up and get RG3. The Rams ended up doing a deal with the Redskins who gave up three first-round picks. Cleveland wasn't willing to get in on that, but they had their shot. (And would you trade Richardson, Barkevious Mingo and a first-round pick for RG3? Last year you wouldn't have hesitated.)

It's irrelevant now because Richardson is gone. The only thing is to wait and see how the new-look Colts fare. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the judgment on this deal will revolve around where Indy's pick lands in the first round come 2014.

GroveDiesel said:
It's amazing how fast things can change. This is Michael Lombardi right before the 2012 draft:

1. I believe the safest pick in the draft -- beyond Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- is Alabama running back Trent Richardson. He's a blue-chip player and has all the skills to quickly establish himself as a top-five player at his position. Forget the nonsense about not taking backs early -- everyone would love the chance to get this guy.
More than a season of mediocre (at best) performance has a way of doing that. Congrats Browns' fans -- brilliant move for the team IMO.

Only one of those guys was coming off of a bad ACL tear.
exactly. Revis would've cost at least 2 firsts of he was fully healthy. RBs just aren't valued much in real football.

i'm going to listen to Holmgren, who had his chance to fix this #### show and failed? riiiighttt...

Mike, if you're so ####### smart why did they go 14-34 when you were there?
:goodposting:

Also, I think I'd take the trio of Hoyer, Gordon and McGahee over Weeden, Little and TRich. I think the offense is going to be better this week than the past 2 weeks. Any other Browns fans leaning that way?

i'm going to listen to Holmgren, who had his chance to fix this #### show and failed? riiiighttt...

Mike, if you're so ####### smart why did they go 14-34 when you were there?
if they go 7-41 with the new guys mike will look like a genius

Users who are viewing this thread