What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (15 Viewers)

It's just proof that they don't have a better option. Jason Campbell is even worse and there's nobody that they're going to bring in at this point that would be better.

Except, of course, Tebow
I want the wing t.Tebow...Vince Young...Josh Cribbs.

I mean, if we're going to suck at least be entertaining. And intentionally hilarious instead of mistakenly.

We ain't getting that #1 pick with those 3 wins we just got. It will be yet another year with a pick in the #4-#8 range, and we will miss out on our QB by 1 or 2 picks. Story of our lives...

gandalas said:
We ain't getting that #1 pick with those 3 wins we just got. It will be yet another year with a pick in the #4-#8 range, and we will miss out on our QB by 1 or 2 picks. Story of our lives...
I'm holding on for Jacksonville to rip off a few wins and maybe a team like the Giants sliding ahead of them. If we can get any team that doesn't need a franchise QB ahead we'll use our acquired draft pick ammo to get our guy. Seems like Jax has some winnable games remaining. Blackmon has provided an offensive boost and if Henne stays at QB they should be better on offense than earlier in the season.

Oct 20 San Diego 1:00 pm Oct 27 San Francisco 1:00 pm Week 9 BYE Nov 10 @Tennessee 1:00 pm Nov 17 Arizona 1:00 pm Nov 24 @Houston 1:00 pm Dec 1
CLE.png
@Cleveland 1:00 pm Dec 5 Houston 8:25 pm Dec 15 Buffalo 1:00 pm Dec 22 Tennessee 1:00 pm Dec 29 @Indianapolis 1:00 pm

I also think by the time the draft comes there is going to be more than 1 sought after QB in this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
gandalas said:
This is a QB rich draft. I don't think Clev needs a top 5 pick to land a potential franchise QB.

gandalas said:
This is a QB rich draft. I don't think Clev needs a top 5 pick to land a potential franchise QB.
...and they have two ones to trade up with if they just have to have the 2nd QB off the board.

gandalas said:
...and they have two ones to trade up with if they just have to have the 2nd QB off the board.
Its pretty early to start going into draft mode but just yesterday Matt Miller was on Bull and Fox and said that their 'could' be SIX QUARTERBACKS drafted in the first round if everyone keeps playing well and they all come out.

It seems that we definitely will be taking a QB in the first round next year so this is one to file away for future reference.

Here's the link to the interview.

He goes over all six of the quarterbacks who he feels could go in the first round.

Good stuff.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/10/14/matt-miller-says-manziels-development-has-been-remarkable/

Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller joined Bull & Fox to talk about his past critiques of Brandon Weeden, his thoughts on Johnny Manziel’s potential at the next level, the similarities of Manziel’s development in the pocket being similar to Robert Griffin III, Brett Hundley, his opinion that Teddy Bridgewater is better than Robert Griffin III, Marcus Mariota ranked just behind Bridgewater, Tajh Boyd as his top senior quarterback, Zach Mettenberger as a Ben Roethlisberger-like talent, the interesting storyline surrounding the Browns’ draft position outlook the rest of this season, Jadeveon Clowney’s draft stock and if it’s taken a hit at all this season, the development of the youth on defense and if free agent quarterbacks out on the market right now.

How many more weeks will Weeden start? I'm wondering if they are worried about starting Campbell, because what if they put him in and he isn't good? How could you ever go back to Weeden as the starter? The Browns still have 9 games left, so they probably have to let Weeden start about 3 more. Then they can let Campbell start the last 6.

How many more weeks will Weeden start? I'm wondering if they are worried about starting Campbell, because what if they put him in and he isn't good? How could you ever go back to Weeden as the starter? The Browns still have 9 games left, so they probably have to let Weeden start about 3 more. Then they can let Campbell start the last 6.
Well....they've got KC next week so I am guessing he isn't going to fair much better.

sounds about right.

We have a home game against the Ravens in 13 days.

I don't know if Weeden will start this week or not, but he's not starting that game.

Problem is Campbell has apparently developed a paycheck casher rep, probably why these guys are so hesitant to go to him.

Even if Campbell has "cashed out." How could he possibly be worse than Weeden at this point? Weeden has gotten worse with every game it seems.

Yes, and yes.

Mettenberger and McCarron aren't even the hot QB prospects and I'd bet these guys are comfortable with either one of them.

Maybe Gordon's market will pick up this offseason if we can't trade him in the next week.

Draft the QB and his WR, an o lineman (maybe two if Mack walks), and a CB with our top 60 picks then bring in a wave 2 vet in free agency at RB, WR, ILB, and S (if Ward walks) to stabilize the positions.

We aren't going to compete for a championship next year, but I think we can compete for the division.

Even if Campbell has "cashed out." How could he possibly be worse than Weeden at this point? Weeden has gotten worse with every game it seems.
That's why I think he starts the next home game, there will be a mutiny if Weeden starts in this stadium again.

WRONG!!!!!!!!

We ARE getting our franchise quarterback next year.

WE ARE.

NOTHING IS GOING TO STOP THAT FROM HAPPENING.

There's no doubt that they're going to draft a QB and call him our franchise QB.

If Zach Mettenberger or Tahj Boyd is a first round pick then the NFL is doing it wrong.

There's no doubt that they're going to draft a QB and call him our franchise QB.

If Zach Mettenberger or Tahj Boyd is a first round pick then the NFL is doing it wrong.
Tahj may have lost his chance Saturday, but I think you're under estimating Mett. His skill set is perfect for this scheme, his issue has always been between the ears and it looks like he has finally kicked that problem.

I hate admitting this, but Hodge made a good point this morning on some sports talk show. They were discussing the Chiefs and how great their D is, calling it a "championship D." Hodge began to talk about how much of an impact A. Smith has made on that team though. Pointing out how impressive his decision making, lack of mistakes and game management have been. He used some stats to illustrate but I can't recall all of them. One that stood out was time of possession, especially in the 4th quarter. KC is dominating in that regard. Also in turnover ratio.

At any rate, he moved on to further make his point about Smith by saying there is another team who has a championship D but is getting the reverse effect from their QB play, Clev. I'd agree... And that is scary.

I hate admitting this, but Hodge made a good point this morning on some sports talk show. They were discussing the Chiefs and how great their D is, calling it a "championship D." Hodge began to talk about how much of an impact A. Smith has made on that team though. Pointing out how impressive his decision making, lack of mistakes and game management have been. He used some stats to illustrate but I can't recall all of them. One that stood out was time of possession, especially in the 4th quarter. KC is dominating in that regard. Also in turnover ratio.

At any rate, he moved on to further make his point about Smith by saying there is another team who has a championship D but is getting the reverse effect from their QB play, Clev. I'd agree... And that is scary.
KC isn't going to win a championship with that QB play, great teams don't need great QB's but they need a QB that will win a game or two for them when the rest of the team is not clicking. Smith has never done that, no reason to believe that's changed either.

Colts have what looks like a fairly easy schedule the rest of the way.

Division winner, BYE in wild card round, home for divisional round, who knows after that. It means a #25 - 32 draft pick for Cleveland, probably closer to 32.

KC isn't going to win a championship with that QB play, great teams don't need great QB's but they need a QB that will win a game or two for them when the rest of the team is not clicking. Smith has never done that, no reason to believe that's changed either.
He did win that one playoff game against the Saints where he ran for a TD and threw three including the late game-winner to VD.

We-D'n think we'd be post'n bout QBs in next year's draft in October but here's a pretty article that breaks everything down pretty decently.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/If-the-Eagles-want-to-draft-a-QB-this-offseason-theyll-have-plenty-of-competition.html

The crop of QBs who could be available in this year's draft is an impressive group that could include 5 or more players drafted in the first round. CBS' Rob Rang and Dane Brugler recently put out their admittedly very early mock drafts, and the following QBs made an appearance:

QB-mock.png

... However, there's no guarantee that the above players will even declare for the draft. The only seniors above are Boyd, Mettenberger, and Carr. Meanwhile, Mariota, Manziel and Hundley are only redshirt sophomores and could choose to stay an extra year to add more polish to their games.

...Here are the teams they could be competing with for a QB, if they feel like they need a long term answer there:

Jaguars (0-7)

Jaguars.png

The Jaguars are scoring 10.9 points per game, and Blaine Gabbert has had QB ratings of 65.4, 77.4, and 36.0 in his first 3 years in the NFL. Unless you're a Chad Henne fan (2 TDs and 5 INTs this season), there isn't a more obvious team to draft a QB in the first round this year than the Jags.

Buccaneers (0-6)

Buccaneers.png

Josh Freeman is gone, and head coach Greg Schiano might not be far behind. Mike Glennon has shown some promise in his last two starts against the Eagles and Falcons, but there's a pretty good chance a new head coach would want to begin his regime with his own guy at QB, and it's not as if Glennon is a great prospect.

Giants (1-6)

Giants.png

The Giants are a tricky case, To rehash what I wrote about the Giants in my Week 5 hierarchy/obituary, if the Giants don't rattle off a bunch of wins and end up picking in the Top 5, what do they do?

By far and away, the QB position in football is the most important position in sports, and often can be the hardest to find. If you have a chance to get an elite prospect at the top of the draft in a rich QB class, it's tough to pass that up that opportunity. They don't come along very often, unless you're a perennial bottom feeder.

Eli Manning will be 33 in January, and the Giants will need to decide if the current cast of characters on their team can no longer compete for the Super Bowl. They've had some injuries this year, but even without them, it sure doesn't look like this team is anything close to being competitive. If they do go the QB route, what do you do with Eli? Do you trade him? Do you cut him? The Giants need to keep those options open. While 33 isn't exactly ancient for a QB (look at what Eli's brother is doing at 37), how old will Eli be before the Giants can rebuild around him once again?

Despite his poor season so far, Eli can still play. Moving on from him would mean a significant step backward in the short term, but would signal an honest assessment of what their team has become... an accomplished, but over the hill team that probably needs to start over. That could also mean the end for Tom Coughlin, crazy as that sounds for a head coach with 2 Super Bowl wins in the last 6 years. After all, if you're going to start over, you probably won't want to do so with a head coach who is nearing 70 years of age, even with how great he has been. The difficulty there is that I don't think Coughlin would quit, and you run the risk of a PR nightmare if you handle that situation the way Jerry Jones handled Tom Landry's dismissal a couple decades ago.

The other thing the Giants could do is look to deal their pick for a huge package of picks to a team looking for a franchise QB. Or they could just take Jadeveon Clowney. OK, now I'm just rambling. The Giants are going to be a fascinating team to watch this offseason.

You could make a similar argument for the Steelers here too, by the way.

Vikings (1-5)

Vikings.png

Christian Ponder is a bust, newly signed Josh Freeman just isn't very good, and Matt Cassel certainly isn't an answer. The Vikings are another obvious team in need of a legitimate franchise QB.

Texans (2-5)

Texans.png

The Texans are an interesting team to watch in the QB shuffle. They have an excellent defense, and a some aging stars on offense. It's a team that can win right now, but Matt Schaub is an average QB having a brutal season and doesn't appear to be the answer. If a guy like Eli Manning or Jay Cutler were to be moved, the Texans would be a logical landing spot, and a rookie QB may require more time to get up to speed.

Raiders (2-4)

Raiders.png

Terrelle Pryor is an exciting player to watch and has kept the Raiders competitive this season, but if you're the Raiders, you want to be careful about over-valuing a guy like him. The Raiders are a clear candidate to draft a QB.

Rams (3-4)

Rams.png

The Rams spent the #1 overall pick in 2010 on Sam Bradford, and he has been disappointing. This season, he has thrown for 14 TDs and just 4 INTs, which is helping him have a 90.9 QB rating. But that's a little misleading. Bradford's yards per attempt are terrible, and have been since he entered the NFL 4 years ago:

Bradford.png

The risk you run here if you're the Rams is that if you let Bradford go and the light comes on with his new team, you'll forever look like idiots. Some QBs just take longer to develop, and there's at least some reason to think Bradford can come alive, as opposed to a guy like Blaine Gabbert, who has shown absolutely nothing.

Also worth noting here is that the Rams have the Redskins' 1st round pick in addition to their own, so they be major players in the first half of the first round this year.

Cardinals (3-4)

Cardinals.png

In April, Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said, “I think our quarterback room is as strong as any in the National Football League.”

Carson Palmer has 8 TDs and 13 INTs this season.

Browns (3-4)

Browns.png

You know how I know Browns new GM Michael Lombardi doesn’t like current QB Brandon Weeden? Because he said so, when he was a TV guy on NFL Network, via Tom Reed of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

(Lombardi) had called the drafting of the 29-year-old quarterback with the No. 22 overall pick a year ago, a “panicked disaster,” even as he admitted Friday of having no memory of making that statement. Lombardi has said the Browns would have been better served conducting a competition instead of anointing Weeden the starter.
In awkward situations such as this, the next step for Lombardi after he was hired was to come up with a lie that attempted to let the fans, media, and your QB know that you didn’t really mean it. But at the same time, Lombardi doesn’t want to come off as a media hack who was just throwing out nonsense opinions for the sake of creating TV discussion. Here’s what they came up with:

“I think you do different things in the media,” said Lombardi, who also appeared on a weekly radio spot for the Cleveland sports station 92.3 FM, The FAN, this season. “Certainly, you need to get involved in terms of their personalities here. I don’t know Josh Gordon or Brandon Weeden, in terms of watching them play from the outside, so it’s a different evaluation from a media perspective from inside the house. It’s going to be different that way.
“I think when you do media you certainly have commentary of games, but I think for my part it’s a different set of circumstances. I’m looking more towards as an organization building a team and how it relates to that.”
And now they're considering benching him.

The Browns are a young, talented team, but they need a QB to continue to build around. They also have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds:

Browns.png

They'll have the flexibility to move around and get a player they really like, if they choose to do so.

Bears (4-3)

Bears.png

Jay Cutler is in the last year of his deal, but he hasn't been to the playoffs since 2010 and will reportedly be out at least 4 weeks with a groin injury. If the Bears experience a slide during that stretch, don't recover, and finish with a bad record, it's reasonable to think the Bears could target a long term answer at QB for new-ish coach Marc Trestman to groom.

Well....they've got KC next week so I am guessing he isn't going to fair much better.
my god, weeden going to arrowhead? that will be brutal, and gordon will unfortunately be on my bench. weeden will get sacked 10+ times.

does it really make a difference?
I think so. Weeden can't throw the short pass. It seems impossible to catch. Hoyer lived on the 8-12 yard slant. Has Weeden completed a single one? I think Campbell will be able to keep drives alive in ways that Weeden couldn't.

https://twitter.com/...027273664004096

Vic CarucciVerified account@viccarucci
Chudzinski news conf: Campbell will start at QB

ETA: I said it in the Gordon thread... I think Campell has the arm to get the ball deep and is a decent fit with Turner's system. He's got to be an upgrade from Weeden as Weeden would have been murdered by the KC front 7... Campell will give them a better chance at letting plays develop.
I disagree, Weeden was particularly awesome at letting plays develop.

You already know I don't like Boyd or Mettenberger so that's two guys Rang has going in the first right there. I'm pretty lukewarm on Hundley, although I'll admit that's largely based on second hand opinions from west coast FBGs. I love watching Johnny Football play, but I'm not particularly confident that his game is going to translate to the NFL.

One guy that has piqued my interest that Rang has out of the first is Derek Carr, although I've only seen him play against Mountain West competition.

does it really make a difference?
I think so. Weeden can't throw the short pass. It seems impossible to catch. Hoyer lived on the 8-12 yard slant. Has Weeden completed a single one? I think Campbell will be able to keep drives alive in ways that Weeden couldn't.
maybe. he just looked awful when they put him in at the end of the Baltimore game.
That's true. I'm hoping that some prep and a game plan suited to him will help.

The crop of QBs who could be available in this year's draft is an impressive group that could include 5 or more players drafted in the first round.
In other words, two or three teams will be making huge mistakes. There aren't five NFL starter quality QBs in this class.
Names?
I provided the link but the names were in a gif that didn't show here.

The list of the top six quarterbacks in next year’s draft compiled by two sources, Dane Brugler and Rob Rang from admittedly very-early mock drafts.

1. Teddy Bridgewater

Listed as the first pick

2. Marcus Mariota

Listed as the second pick

3. Johnny Manziel

Listed as the fourth pick

4. Brett Hundley

Listed as the eighth pick

5. Tajh Boyd (not in Dane Brugler’s 1st rd)

Listed as the twelfth pick

6. Zach Mettenberger

Listed as the thirteenth pick

7. Derek Carr (not in Rob Rang’s 1st rd)

Listed as the thirty-second pick

==============================

These are the teams associated as potentially taking a quarterback in the first round.

Jaguars (0-7)

Seems obvious they will be seeking a quarterback.

Buccaneers (0-6)

Mike Glennon is on a two-month trial run. Some think he has a decent shot to keep the job.

Giants (1-6)

This is not the same situation as Peyton. I don’t see the G-Men taking a rookie QB.

Vikings (1-5)

Josh Freeman got his first disastrous start where he got a ‘concussion’ and may sit him out Sunday so they already the Vikings are talking about Ponder’s return. If Freeman gets another shot he’ll be on the Glennon two-month trial run plan but it seems likely they will take a QB.

Texans (2-5)

They seem likely to move-on from Schuab but Case Keenum looked ‘good’ in his first start and he’s been talked-up in Houston. He seems to be getting a legitimate shot to earn the starting job. They don't seem in as-dire a QB situation. Keenum is flashing and they could give Schaub another shot.

Raiders (2-4)

Terrelle Pryor is probably going to keep the job for the remainder of this year and into next.

Rams (3-4)

Jeff Fisher didn’t take RG III or move Sam Bradford in the 2012 draft and Sam’s numbers were ticking-up this year before he got injured. I don’t think Fisher would move-on from Bradford.

Cardinals (3-4)

Carson Palmer is not the long term answer.

Browns (3-4)

The Browns front office traded 2013 4th and 5th round draft picks and RB Trent Richardson with the 2014 draft in mind. The coaches seem to have moved on from Weeden. The writing is on the wall. seems a foregone conclusion that Cleveland will take a quarterback in the 2014 draft. They may have to move-up and they have already made moves to acquire the ammo to move-up if they need to. Hoyer is a nice story but they are actively seeking a long-term franchise QB. Its possible that they will find a trade partner if they need to move-up. Make that, very possible

Bears (4-3)

If they move-on from Cutler then one of the other teams listed above would have paid big free agency bucks to sign him. The Bears didn't sign Cutler to an extension and were waiting to see what he did this year but now he's injured so it will be the big free agent story of this offseason.

=========

I'm sure the above teams and names of the QB prospects will change.

No one saw EJ Manuel as the top QB prospect heading into last year or was saying that Ryan Tannenhill was a top-ten QB prospect in the fall before that draft so even if people are starting to disect the names of the 2014 QB draft class we will inevitablely have a surprise name or two rise and a few fall but this class is deep and its probable that the future quarterback of the Cleveland Browns could be on this list.

You already know I don't like Boyd or Mettenberger so that's two guys Rang has going in the first right there. I'm pretty lukewarm on Hundley, although I'll admit that's largely based on second hand opinions from west coast FBGs. I love watching Johnny Football play, but I'm not particularly confident that his game is going to translate to the NFL.

One guy that has piqued my interest that Rang has out of the first is Derek Carr, although I've only seen him play against Mountain West competition.
I had forgotten actually.

Definitely wasn't a good weekend for Boyd, Mett, and Hundley. I'm giving Hundley more rope, think that was just a blip in the radar for Mett, but I've just about thrown in the towel on Tahj.

I hope we have our guy before getting to a guy like Derek Carr, he's remarkably similar to a guy already on the roster - Hoyer.

No one saw EJ Manuel as the top QB prospect heading into last year or was saying that Ryan Tannenhill was a top-ten QB prospect in the fall before that draft.
I won't speak for others, but I wasn't surprised by either one of their stocks being elevated in the media's eye between January and April. Those are exactly the types that aren't thought highly of until the predraft process. They haven't done it on the field, but they have the profile of a starting QB; they're a projection.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see something similar from Kevin Hogan, AJ McCarron, Jimmy Garropolo, Jeff Matthews, Logan Thomas, Keith Price, Sean Mannion, Chuckie Keeton, James Franklin, or maybe even Aaron Murray. Not all of them will emerge, but one? three? Probably.

Some of the top 7 will return too, a couple of them are going to flounder late, happens every year. In the end, I still think we're going to be looking at a QB class that rivals 2012's. There's no once in a generation player like Luck, but I think there will be more franchise QB's.

MAC_32 said:
I'm actually kinda excited for this one.
You should be. Cleveland probably should've won the game in Baltimore.

Hard to say how the Ravens will come out of the bye, but they've been in a major funk offensively - especially in 1st halves, where they've been a disaster.

The defense has been pretty good and, I think, is getting better. But I don't think they can cover both Gordon & Cameron.

I waited 20 years waiting for the Seahawks to win a playoff game. I feel your pain Browns fans. Keep the faith. Your time will come and it will be glorious.

2nd place in the division. Pittsburgh is last. Would be soooo nice to beat them twice this season.

Draft picks somewhere in the teens probably.

Maybe Houston can get a win for us tonight.

greg little showed signs of life...

maybe the best game of his career?

* campbell could be better for him than weedon.

Users who are viewing this thread