Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The 2010 FBG Census

428 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To this day, I'm not sure if "Brazilian" should be filed under latino/hispanic. Doesn't fit the technical definition for either, but it's how we're often perceived. Certainly don't feel hispanic or latino, though.

To this day, I'm not sure if "Brazilian" should be filed under latino/hispanic. Doesn't fit the technical definition for either, but it's how we're often perceived. Certainly don't feel hispanic or latino, though.

My Brazilian friends consider themselves Latina/o but not Hispanic. :thumbup:

How does one define "Hispanic or Latino"?

The Census Bureau defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethn...ensus#Ethnicity

How do you know if you're "of a culture"?

Example: A white woman educated in the US through college, moves to South America and marries there. She lives there for 25 years, raising children, working, and gaining voting rights. She then divorces, and moves back to the US.

Is she hispanic? Is she latino?

The Census Bureau defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."

Example: A white woman educated in the US through college, moves to South America and marries there. She lives there for 25 years, raising children, working, and gaining voting rights. She then divorces, and moves back to the US.

Honestly, I'm not sure. It's an interesting question, and I've been digging around trying to find a clearer definition, but the above is the best I've found so far. Personally, I am most certainly not hispanic or latino so I've never given the question any thought, but you'd think if the census is collecting the data they'd more clearly outline what they're asking for.

If I had to guess, I'd say the woman in your example would answer "no" to the question, as I think it refers more specifically to family ancestry and not just where you've chosen to live. Her children, on the other hand, might answer "yes". :lmao:

My Brazilian friends consider themselves Latina/o but not Hispanic. :mellow:
LOOK AT ME! I HAVE A BRAZILIAN FRIENDS!

no and no.

no and no.
Why not?

As I know it, hispanic is a state of mind, an opinion of ones self

Furthermore, why isn't there a category for multiracial/multicultural?

no and no.
Why not?

As I know it, hispanic is a state of mind, an opinion of ones self

Furthermore, why isn't there a category for multiracial/multicultural?

Surprisingly the census bureau doesn't include your definition. You should write them and ask to have it included.

Surprisingly the census bureau doesn't include your definition. You should write them and ask to have it included.

Their definition is basically a non-definition. I'll restate my original question: "What does being 'of' a culture actually mean?"Also, you didn't answer my question about the man born in Madrid.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived