What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 Baltimore Orioles Thread*** Pitching Can’t Get Any Worse (2 Viewers)

Wow.  It has been over year since the last post.

The Orioles finally have something to be excited about.  They have called up three of their rookies.

Montcastle is hitting over his first 15 games.  His bat looks legit.  Of course, that is a really small sample size.

Keegan Akin has made two start and has looked good.

Dean Kremer started Sunday and looked good.

Akin and Kremer are not even the top of the line prospects.  If they can stick in the rotation for a while, things will look a bit better.

Some nice advancements this year. How much longer do they need to suffer through the Chris Davis contact?
I am hoping this is the last year.

I did read that Davis is likely to be in training camp next year.  The shortened season this year provided some salary relief for the Orioles.  So if next year is shortened, they could get some extra salary relief.

I am hoping this is the last year.

I did read that Davis is likely to be in training camp next year.  The shortened season this year provided some salary relief for the Orioles.  So if next year is shortened, they could get some extra salary relief.
For whatever reason I thought it ended next year and had to look it up. TWO more years, and if it plays out as whole years played, $43M  :yucky: . I don't see a scenario where he says "Nah, I've got enough millions, just call me on Chris Davis bobblehead day when you're going to retire my number"

I read that there is a possibility of a work stoppage next year due to labor negotiations.  If that happens, it could provide salary relief for the Orioles.  That means Chris Davis will be with the Orioles until they definitely know there will not be a work stoppage.  

Davis has been put on the 60 day IL, which makes managing the roster a little easier.

One Oriole pitcher is doing really well.  John Means just pitched a no hitter.  And he is one batter, who reached on a dropped 3rd strike, from a perfect game.

John Means has been one of the best pitchers in baseball so far this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Davis had season ending surgery.  So he will not play this year.  Then there is one year left of possibly the worst contract ever in baseball.

Something magic happens...

Okay maybe it all ends around the trade deadline or when the schedule heads back in division, but this has been a real fun team to watch for about 6 weeks now.  Considering how painful they have been to watch for the past few years, heck for most of the past 39 years and the reality that they are still losing ground in the standings I want to enjoy it anyway.  

This team has been so bad, 0.500 baseball and being near a wild card spot is so exciting. And this is all happening before most of the high end prospects arrive. Rodriguez, Henderson, Westburg, and Stowers will probably arrive next year. Hall will be pitching out of the bullpen later this year.

I can't believe the pitching has held up as well as it has. Actually, I can't believe any of this.

He won't win it, but Hyde should at least get some down-card votes for Manager Of The Year unless they completely collapse.

Heading to Camden Yards with the family to see the A's vs the O's on Sunday for my son's birthday. I need some parking advice, I live around 3 hours away and plan to go down and back the same day. Looking at the parking maps online there's a Lot A that looks the closest for parking and post game beat-the-traffic getaway. But I cant seem where to find anywher to pre-buy for it. Any suggestions? @Uruk-Hai , @Bottomfeeder Sports sine it looks like you guys might be locals

tia

Last edited:
Heading to Camden Yards with the family to see the A's vs the O's on Sunday for my son's birthday. I need some parking advice, I live around 3 hours away and plan to go down and back the same day. Looking at the parking maps online there's a Lot A that looks the closest for parking and post game beat-the-traffic getaway. But I cant seem where to find anywher to pre-buy for it. Any suggestions? @Uruk-Hai , @Bottomfeeder Sports sine it looks like you guys might be locals

tia
Sorry. Was local until 4 years ago and probably hadn't made it to a game for another five or so years. I live east of the city most of my life.

Since the stadium is right there next to 95 I never had too much trouble escaping. Assuming I wasn't doing other stuff in the city in which case I'd likely park on the east side of the Harbor (long walk for just going to the game), I'd park in one of two places. The first is whatever the stadium lot is south of Oriole Park under the overpasses. My preferred spot though was the parking lot that was a traffic light or two up from the stadium next to the Arena. While a few blocks of a walk it was really easy in and out. At least a decade or so ago.
I never had prepaid parking though, so not sure about doing that. Sorry that I could be of more help.

Now Memorial Stadium being more or less in an otherwise normal neighborhood was terrible to get away from if there was any kind of crowd.

Final 20 games of the regular season. Wild card chances seem to be slim, but this has been such an unexpected joy to watch. Gonna miss it.

Next year is going to be interesting. I assume Henderson is placed at either third or short and then the rest infield is built from there from among those names I keep hearing in the minors and already on the team plus maybe ????. Outfield. It has been together for a few years now, is that about to change? I keep wanting to really like Hayes and then he goes 0 for 6 weeks. I keep getting ready to write Mullens off and then he carries the team for a few weeks. Santander seems to be always rumored to be out the door at the same time as being pretty consistently the guy being interviewed after the game. Does this all get shaken up by the prospects and possibly a free agent bat?

As for pitching, the Orioles seem to have a glut of 4th and 5th starters, but no real front end guys. Can Means come back and be a top of the order guy? And can he do it relatively early? Is Grayson ready for one of those spots? As for the bullpen, if it is this easy to turn waiver wire scraps into shutdown relievers maybe we should trade them all and create the next batch. Okay, getting carried away.

At the trading deadline I kept hearing about how this was Trey Mancini's team. That might have been the case earlier in the season, but by then this was clearly Adley Rutschman's team. And while I think guys like Chirinos and Odor brought a great deal of positive energy to this team, Rutschman's joy is just so infectious. That being said, I keep hearing and reading stats about how good Adley is at framing pitches but almost every night the other catcher gets more strikes. And while I thought that this was just my homerism on display, per https://www.umpscorecards.com/teams/ no team gets fewer favorable calls. So hopefully not being perceived as the laughingstock in 2023 helps even this out a bit.

Anyway 20 more chances.

I'm old enough to remember when 82 wins in a season was a pretty disappointing rather than reason to celebrate. But these aren't the days of since 1957 the Orioles are baseball's winningest team any longer and this was a fun 82 wins season. Hopefully, unlike '89's "Why Not" season management doesn't elevate as essentials and/or trade the wrong players.

Downer...

Lots of early mistakes/errors in the outfield. Hopefully they can tighten that up. I like the way they have been hitting and the aggressiveness on the base path.
Tyler Wells really bailed them out last night and the infield defense played great.

Heard Bradish's x-rays were negative and hoping the best for Josh Smith, that was nasty.

Huh......

Starting pitching holds up, might have a little something going on. Means is supposed to be back in July, which will help.

2nd best record in baseball and split last week with the other two top-3 teams.

I feel like it's a bit of smoke-and-mirrors, but screw it. I'm gonna buy some Natty Boh today, hun.

Gunnar had a heck of a game against the Yankees last night and it was only the 4th inning.

Per MLB.com "Here were Henderson’s stats heading into the fifth: 4-for-4 with two singles, two home runs, five RBIs and three runs scored."

As a kid from Baltimore, its nice to see the team playing well this year. It's like once every 8 years the O's might make the playoffs. If we are lucky, one of these guys will turn out to be a real superstar and we can trade him for future draft picks!

My new favorite Oriole, Jonathan Heasley made his O's debut last night against his former team.

I had the pleasure to sit next to him on the delayed plane as he desperately tried to rush home from Sarasota to Frisco (I think) Texas for the birth of Georgia Jayne (I think).

The only discussion of baseball and/or the Orioles was when he asked me if I was a lifelong Texan and I said "well actually..." Briefly discussed how it was such a great group of guys as in both the talent and "being fun" to be around.

Assuming he isn't this year's Cano and just unexpectedly thrives and sticks around, I sure hope one of his call ups will be when the O's are in Texas in mid July.

Jackson Holliday getting called up, will wear #7, which was unofficially retired for Cal Ripken SR. Last worn by Billy.

New ownership has me having something I haven't felt about this team since I was in my 20s: Hope.

Should be a fun season. Going to a game out here vs the Angels in a few weeks. Super excited for that and this season.

This team is good
They are, though they need some pitching help. They have a bunch of really good position players in the minors who are blocked. Baltimore needs to start moving some of those guys for arms.
Yeah I don't think they will be moving anyone this early in the season. Maybe once Mid May/Close to June starts they will start looking at options, But usually 2 weeks into the season, teams aren't really trading out quality pitching for prospects, in an essence already signaling they are giving up on the season.

Fun team to watch, I can barely believe it.

This team is good
They are, though they need some pitching help. They have a bunch of really good position players in the minors who are blocked. Baltimore needs to start moving some of those guys for arms.
Yeah I don't think they will be moving anyone this early in the season. Maybe once Mid May/Close to June starts they will start looking at options, But usually 2 weeks into the season, teams aren't really trading out quality pitching for prospects, in an essence already signaling they are giving up on the season.

Right - I didn't mean trade now. But at some point closer to the deadline. If Bradish and Means come back fine (and no one else gets hurt), the starters should be ok - though I wouldn't be against adding another #2 or 3 guy). The bullpen needs help, though.

Cowser is on a tear.

This team is good

Right - I didn't mean trade now. But at some point closer to the deadline. If Bradish and Means come back fine (and no one else gets hurt), the starters should be ok - though I wouldn't be against adding another #2 or 3 guy). The bullpen needs help, though.

Cowser is on a tear.

got cowser on both my fantasy teams as my last outfileder. dude is legit

Users who are viewing this thread