What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 Baltimore Orioles Thread*** Pitching Can’t Get Any Worse (1 Viewer)

That was such a huge win last night. The rotation the next few game is dicey to say the least (Ubaldo, Gallardo, Milley), so we really needed that win. I think winning 3 of the next 4 will lock us into the playoffs. Would be nice if the Indians could help us out.

They really need to start getting hits with runners in scoring position, but they haven't been able to do that most of if not all of this year.

Last night was awesome but relying on pinch hit home runs in the late innings isn't going to cut it. Plus it frazzled my nerves watching that at bat with Kim, I loved that he never stepped out of the box between pitches, just total concentration.

Really good series. Was important to get 2 of 3 in Toronto. Tonight is another important game. Gotta win and keep all the pressure on Toronto/Detroit/Seattle.

The O's  are in good shape for the wild card.  I think Kim saved the season Wednesday night.  They need to get the offense started back up.  It has been missing for a month or more.

I still don't like a wild card matchup with Toronto.  If they could get it back in Baltimore, it would be better. But they did take 2 out of 3 in Toronto, so they can win there.

How about that Ubaldo? 2.82 ERA in the second half. Pretty amazing with 16 straight shutout innings to close out the series in Toronto. I also appreciated how the O's made the Jays look lifeless and slack - Trumbo legging out the huge double on what should have been a single, and Tulo loafing out of the box, then getting called out on appeal.

Orioles have third best ERA in the majors during September (after Dodgers and Red Sox). And it looks like the bats are coming back to life. Now if Manny could just heat up again.

So I went to the last two Friday night games of the season. On Sept. 16, I got some awesome black and orange argyle socks and was there for the instant classic "They got him! They got him at the plate!" when Manny threw the guy out at the plate to end the game and keep Britton's streak intact. Then last Friday, I got a Korean t-shirt, plus 3 innings of free baseball after Wieters tied it in the 9th with a HR and Trumbo went deep to win it in the 12th.

Two of the more exciting games I can remember, though I think the Wednesday night win fueled by Kim's HR might have been the most exciting of all. That was some legit Orioles Magic right there. I'm all in - went ahead and ordered my Wild Card Game tickets last night.

What a crazy year. These are four things I never, ever thought I'd say back in April:

1. Up until mid-September, there wasn't one day where Baltimore didn't hold an "if the season ended today" playoff spot. 

2. Adam Jones hit lead off for a good part of the season.

3. Jiminez may be the team MVP down the stretch. 

4. They could weather O'Day missing substantial time.

Buck won't win MOTY, but I wouldn't trade him for any other manager in baseball to coach the team I root for - especially one as flawed as the Orioles are. 

Welp, boys and girls, here we go.

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the 3-team tiebreaker:

A three-way tie for the two wild-card spots

Three-way ties are broken by having teams pick between slots. Team A hosts Team B, with winner becoming the top wild card. Team C would host the loser, with the winner becoming the second wild card.

Blue Jays and Orioles lose AND Tigers win: Tigers would play Monday's makeup game, and if they win the Blue Jays would get first pick, assuredly Team A, and the Orioles would get second pick, which means choosing hosting one do-or-die game for the second wild card or playing twice on the road with two shots at making the postseason.

Link

Can't say we wouldn't have signed up for this at the season's start.  A faulted team... that wins just enough.  Once you are in the postseason, it's anyone's game.  Let's see if we can get a patch of good enough pitching and make some waves!

Rollercoaster of a 2nd half, but we made it. Ubaldo and Kim with clutch performances to get us in. Who saw that coming before the season?!?!?

Toronto usually has our number, but we did just go up there and take 2 of 3. Anything can happen in 1 game though.

Thinking about tonight's game and the fact that the last 6 months of my life come down to a single game with Tillman starting in the SkyDome, where he has been terrible, makes me want to vomit.

I swear, I'm not sure I can watch. Sure am gonna drink a lot, as soon as I get home. I have such a bad feeling about Tillman, especially in the early going. Hoping he can work out his early woes and get to the middle innings. I like the O's chances if we're even after 5.

The_Man said:
Sure am gonna drink a lot, as soon as I get home. I have such a bad feeling about Tillman, especially in the early going. Hoping he can work out his early woes and get to the middle innings. I like the O's chances if we're even after 5.
Well here we go

The sting from this loss is gonna last.  Buck is so good at pulling the right levers but putting Ubaldo in when he did was just a terrible decision.  This is gonna hurt.

Fun game. I'm not going to be a #### but Buck not using Britton at all in that game is indefensible.
Only thing I can think of is he was waiting to see if he could get further into the Toronto bullpen and get somebody to start hitting something aand shutting the Jays down when they did. :shrug: . Other than that, unless he was hurt, I can't see why you don't use the best reliever in baseball in a jam in a game like this.

Only thing I can think of is he was waiting to see if he could get further into the Toronto bullpen and get somebody to start hitting something aand shutting the Jays down when they did. :shrug: . Other than that, unless he was hurt, I can't see why you don't use the best reliever in baseball in a jam in a game like this.
Yeah, I mean Brian Duensing and Ubaldo Jimenez pitched but Britton didn't?

I can't bash Buck too much. I don't agree with Ubaldo in that situation, but the offense really #### the bed last night. I don't remember seeing many balls in the outfield. Bats went ice cold at the wrong time.

Not gonna win too often when you go 0 for your last 16 in a tie game.

Not sure why Buck didn't bring in Britton, but - as my friend said - the way the Orioles weren't hitting, Britton would have pitched 2 scoreless innings and then Ubaldo just would have given up that HR in the 13th instead of the 11th.

That game was this season in a nutshell. Mediocre starting pitching, dominant relief, and no chance of scoring runs unless somebody mashes one over the fence.

Opening Day yesterday was the best time I've had at Camden Yards since 1997. Baltimore is so starved for a winner and could be such a great baseball town again. Atmosphere downtown was incredible - didn't hurt that the weather was perfect - and it was fun to imagine just for a day that maybe Opening Day wouldn't be the only day baseball matters in town.

Fun fact from today's Washington Post:

"In 61 games under Showalter dating to last August, the Orioles are 38-23 — a .623 winning percentage that extrapolates to a 101-win pace over an entire season. During that same stretch, only the Philadelphia Phillies own a better record. So this isn’t necessarily a four-day phenomenon."
BTW, look back in this thread and you can see how far Buck has brought this franchise. So damn great to play meaningful October baseball, even if it stings when you lose.

Hola, muchachos!

I see Vegas has set the win total O/U for Baltimore at 84.5. I think I'd lean "under" at this point, as I don't see Britton matching last season and the SP is next thing to a train wreck.

Hola, muchachos!

I see Vegas has set the win total O/U for Baltimore at 84.5. I think I'd lean "under" at this point, as I don't see Britton matching last season and the SP is next thing to a train wreck.
Hate to say it, but I agree.  That said, for the first time a while it seems we aren't talking (deservedly so) about how the O's have to face a stacked division like every year.  Sox are loaded, but everyone else can be had as teams with some major issues.

Reppin' the O's shirt here at $tarbucks a block from my new pad in Dallas. :thumbup:  

Looking forward to hitting up a couple O's-Rangers games in Arlington.

My all-time Orioles team. 8 position players, a DH, 5 SP, and 2 bullpen guys. I'm leaving out guys like Triandos, Gentile, and Aparacio who I didn't see play as Orioles. I'm also gonna leave out the most beloved Oriole of my generation.

C - Chris Hoiles. I'm 99.9% sure he was roided-up and he wasn't that great defensively, but man could he hit. Weiters is probably better, but was even more prone to injury. The platoon of Etchebarren/Hendricks would have been my pick if they were one guy.

1B - Eddie Murray. An immortal.

2B - Bobby Grich. Grich is probably the greatest player in history who doesn't get recognized as one. 

SS - Cal Ripken. I grew up with Belanger, who I thought was the best defensive SS I ever saw; couldn't hit a lick, though (unless it was against the Yankees). Cal was better both ways.

3B - Manny Machado. Sorry, Brooks - he's better in the field and is miles better at the plate.

LF - Donnie Buford. This is a tough one because, for so many years, the Orioles platooned it. I feel like I'm forgetting someone here, though.

RF - Frank Robinson. THE most important player in Orioles history.

CF - Paul Blair. My favorite O ever. The only autographed card I own is by him, gotten at a game several years ago. When I was a kid, I would tuck my glove under my arm running off the field the way he did. Man, oh man, if Ken Brett hadn't shattered his jaw.......what might have been. He played so shallow and DARED a batter to hit the ball over his head (they couldn't). Best defensive player I've ever seen. And he ended up playing SS for the #######ed Yankees.

DH - Boog Powell. He hit the ball harder than anyone I've seen til Albert Bell came along. Infielders would cringe when he stepped to the plate. 

SP - Jim Palmer. The original prima donna, but JFC could he throw it

SP - Mike Mussina. The complete package.

SP - Scottie McGregor. I think it was Ken Singleton who said something like "we'd be out there and knew Scott had nothing that day, but he'd battle to the end and I wouldn't have to move because every hit was a ground ball". Game's over in less than 2 hours.

SP - Miguel Cuellar. His screwball was filthy and should have been outlawed for lewdness.

SP - Mike Flanagan. Nails. RIP, Mike.

RP - Eddie Watt. He was a weird dude - looked weird and threw weird. Back then, relief pitchers were considered failed starters. Earl Weaver changed that with Watt.

RP - Zach Britton - Too soon? Nah.

Opening Day yesterday was the best time I've had at Camden Yards since 1997. Baltimore is so starved for a winner and could be such a great baseball town again. Atmosphere downtown was incredible - didn't hurt that the weather was perfect - and it was fun to imagine just for a day that maybe Opening Day wouldn't be the only day baseball matters in town.

Fun fact from today's Washington Post:

"In 61 games under Showalter dating to last August, the Orioles are 38-23 — a .623 winning percentage that extrapolates to a 101-win pace over an entire season. During that same stretch, only the Philadelphia Phillies own a better record. So this isn’t necessarily a four-day phenomenon."
Fun looking back at past Opening Days. I think one of the most overlooked stories of recent years in all of MLB is what Buck Showalter has done with this franchise. 15 years of crap before he got here, and now over the last 5 years, the Orioles have won 444 games - best in the AL, 10 ahead of second-place Texas. Only 1 of 2 AL teams with no losing season during that time (along with the Yankees) and 3 playoff berths.

I have pretty significant doubts about this team's composition - weak starting pitching, no leadoff hitter or OBP guys, and terrible corner OF defense. But I've learned not to count out a Showalter club. Just going to try to enjoy the last 2 years of Manny, AJ and Tillman all on this team together.

I was 8 years old in Eddie Murray's rookie season, and baseball obsessed. Subscribed to Baseball Digest, watched This Week in Baseball, etc. I grew up idolizing Eddie. He always has been my favorite pro athlete of all time, and I never imagined I could enjoy watching another Oriole as much as I enjoyed watching him.

Manny is making me reconsider. I don't think I've ever seen another infielder who is an intimidator on defense. Seeing balls hit at him is like watching Wide Receivers run into Ronnie Lott's part of the field. You can't wait to see what he's going to do. That play in the 11th yesterday might have been his greatest yet. The play where he threw the guy out from the third base coach's box after backhanding a ball might is pretty hard to beat, but yesterday's play was made with the game on the line, and against a fast runner. Just stopping the ball was a very good play. To throw the guy out from one knee with an underhand rope defied belief.

I can't believe the Orioles didn't lock him up 2 or 3 years ago. It's going to be so hard to keep him off the open market. But I sure hope they do - if it's not Manny, I'm not sure who the next statue at Camden Yards is going to be. Maybe nobody in my lifetime? And I know it's foolish, but if Manny ends up a Yankee or a Red Sox, I'm really not sure I will be able to enjoy watching baseball any more.

Agree on Manny. Not sure why they haven't tried to lock him up at this point. He's only getting more expensive as time goes on. And honestly, whatever amount of money he wants, we should pay him.

He's obviously awesome, but you can't just give him "whatever he wants". I know there's no hard salary cap like the NFL, but every team has a budget. They already gave Davis a big contract and Britton is coming up too- how can they possibly afford to pay all 3 of those guys plus put a good team around them?

He's obviously awesome, but you can't just give him "whatever he wants". I know there's no hard salary cap like the NFL, but every team has a budget. They already gave Davis a big contract and Britton is coming up too- how can they possibly afford to pay all 3 of those guys plus put a good team around them?
It'll be tough, but that's their fault for overpaying for Davis. Machado is light years better than Davis. Machado is going to easily command $30M/yr on the market. Can the O's afford it? No idea. But they should find a way.

Great start from Bundy last night. He and Gausman have so much promise if they can stay consistent.

It'll be tough, but that's their fault for overpaying for Davis. Machado is light years better than Davis. Machado is going to easily command $30M/yr on the market. Can the O's afford it? No idea. But they should find a way.

Great start from Bundy last night. He and Gausman have so much promise if they can stay consistent.
I thought Davis was an overpay, but let's be honest, people would have been upset if he left. Of course Manny is much better than he is, but you're going to have to pay him like it. Just pointing out the realities of MLB- most teams can't afford 1 huge contract, never mind 2 or 3.

They haven't really won anything while paying Manny peanuts- how are they going to be able to put enough pieces around him to win if they're going to pay him $30-$40 mil per year?

It's easy to say "find a way", but it's a lot more difficult to actually do it.

I thought Davis was an overpay, but let's be honest, people would have been upset if he left. Of course Manny is much better than he is, but you're going to have to pay him like it. Just pointing out the realities of MLB- most teams can't afford 1 huge contract, never mind 2 or 3.

They haven't really won anything while paying Manny peanuts- how are they going to be able to put enough pieces around him to win if they're going to pay him $30-$40 mil per year?

It's easy to say "find a way", but it's a lot more difficult to actually do it.
If they aren't going to give him an extension, then they need to think about trading him within the next year or so.

The Orioles stole a base! The Orioles stole a base!

You guys will be telling your grandchildren about this event. On April 8, 2017 Mark Trumbo (!) stole 2nd, which helped the Orioles to a 5-4 win over the Yankees.

Last night's Usain Bolt impression aside, we already knew what we had with this team: Hit HRs and get to the bullpen. I'm not particularly enamored of this recipe for success, but it's what they can do. 

What a great Easter treat to stomp the Blue Jays in Toronto and take 3 of 4. Honestly, Buck should be making $30mm per year. What he does every season is astounding. 

I think Gausman and Ubaldo must have done some kind of Freaky Friday body switch in Cincy.

Nice to see the O's at the top of the pack, with Manny scuffling, Britton ailing and Tillman still rehabbing. Sure does stink being in the AL East though - takes a red hot start just to stay even with division rivals. The East has 1 team below .500. The other two divisions each have only 1 team above .500

Hard to believe this team has the 2nd best record in baseball with Machado and Trumbo struggling, Gausman looking awful, and Britton being on the DL.

I find myself hoping that this whole thing has helped take away Boston as a potential free agent landing spot for Manny after 2018.

I can believe they threw at him once - didn't think it was justified, but understand why it would happen. But that goes out the window when you throw behind his head.

Totally incomprehensible that they threw at him again. Total garbage. Played an all-around dominant game Monday, and it was great he went deep again last night. Sale should have been ejected from the game - it's so bogus when they let a pitcher take a shot at a guy, then warn both teams. 

What an awful call. Holbrook was making it about him last night. Then tossed Jones for nothing too.
It was awful if happened in a regular situation but the Orioles and Red Sox have been stupid about this for a few games now.   100% agree with the call.  Maybe Guasman thought hey no one will think that if I throw a curve ball at a guy I did it intentionally.   We don't know but since both teams have acted like they have the past 2 series it doesn't leave any wiggle room at all.

Users who are viewing this thread