What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter as a Fantasy Baseball Resource (1 Viewer)

Buckfast 1

Footballguy
This past fantasy football season, I created a Twitter account that followed national football analysts, local beat writers, players, and other sources of breaking news. I found that it was a pretty effective way to keep up with the latest breaking news and information.

It seems like Twitter would be even more useful for competitive fantasy baseball, given that time-sensitive breaking news in fantasy baseball (such as minor league call ups, closer changes, and DL stints) is that much more prevalent than in fantasy football. I find that fantasy baseball frequently involves a rush to the waiver wire, in which a half hour can make a huge difference. If Twitter allows you to get that breaking information sooner than the major media outlets and websites such as Rototimes, then it should offer a nice competitive advantage.

If you use Twitter in fantasy baseball, who do you follow? I thought it might be helpful to compile a list of good resources here.

Here are a few people that CrookedPitch.com recommended following last year:

@fakebaseball

@stanhayes

@jasoncollette

@crookedpitch

@jonathanbentz

@rototommy

@bigjonwilliams

@fp911

@faketeams

@theroundtable

@troypatterson

@rotoworld

@therotofeed

@fantasyhurler

@MrFantasy

Any other good Twitter resources out there?

This past fantasy football season, I created a Twitter account that followed national football analysts, local beat writers, players, and other sources of breaking news. I found that it was a pretty effective way to keep up with the latest breaking news and information.

It seems like Twitter would be even more useful for competitive fantasy baseball, given that time-sensitive breaking news in fantasy baseball (such as minor league call ups, closer changes, and DL stints) is that much more prevalent than in fantasy football. I find that fantasy baseball frequently involves a rush to the waiver wire, in which a half hour can make a huge difference. If Twitter allows you to get that breaking information sooner than the major media outlets and websites such as Rototimes, then it should offer a nice competitive advantage.

If you use Twitter in fantasy baseball, who do you follow? I thought it might be helpful to compile a list of good resources here.

@fakebaseball

@stanhayes

@jasoncollette

@crookedpitch

@jonathanbentz

@rototommy

@bigjonwilliams

@fp911

@faketeams

@theroundtable

@troypatterson

@rotoworld

@therotofeed

@fantasyhurler

@MrFantasy

that's me. I'd also add @sporer, @baseballguys, @jhalpin37, @enosarris and @sgardnerusat to that list

:goodposting:

I'm considering getting my account set up to follow this as well. I bet team beater writers would also be useful.

@fakebaseball

@stanhayes

@jasoncollette

@crookedpitch

@jonathanbentz

@rototommy

@bigjonwilliams

@fp911

@faketeams

@theroundtable

@troypatterson

@rotoworld

@therotofeed

@fantasyhurler

@MrFantasy

that's me. I'd also add @sporer, @baseballguys, @jhalpin37, @enosarris and @sgardnerusat to that list
Hah. That's funny. I was setting up my account tonight while watching the State of the Union address and I was following your commentary about the speech.

It appears as if some of the names in the original list aren't active anymore since it was a list from last year. I'll try to update the list when I get a chance.

I went to the MLBTradeRumors Twitter account and added a lot of the people they follow because it seems like they were following a lot of the local beat writers. I'll update with some more names as soon as I get a better feeling for what accounts are a good source of information.

:confused: I'm considering getting my account set up to follow this as well. I bet team beater writers would also be useful.
I follow local team writers for the Dbacks and they are pretty good. I dont do it for fantasy baseball though. I do it as a fan of the team.

Does the new Twitter list feature allow for one user to create a list and then others can follow that list? I'm not 100% on how it works but that would be helpful in this case.

I hate those leagues where first to the phone or computer wins a player (and none of the high stakes leagues do that)

BUT I can see the usefullness and would suggest you add Keith Law of ESPN aa well as Buster Olney

Not sure if Jason Grey is using twitter but he would have some breaking news as well if he does

I hate those leagues where first to the phone or computer wins a player (and none of the high stakes leagues do that)BUT I can see the usefullness and would suggest you add Keith Law of ESPN aa well as Buster OlneyNot sure if Jason Grey is using twitter but he would have some breaking news as well if he does
Yeah, none of my leagues really have the race to the computer situation, but it is nice to have news as soon as it breaks for line-up decisions, etc.

Jason Grey is on there. As is Jason Collette who has an account here. Matthew Berry, R.J. Anderson, Jonah Keri, Joe Sheehan, Rob Neyer. Not all are necessarily fantasy specific but ones I follow for baseball.

There are others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Matthew Berry
I get that he's kind of irreverent and caters to a wide swath of the public that thirsts for lowbrow humor. I even, occasionally, find him funny. The trouble I have with Berry is that his skills are about equivalent to that of any average fantasy baseball player. I was watching that movie Fantasyland where some overwrought schlub is invited to participate in the AL-only Tout Wars (and proceeds to basically ignore his pregnant-with-twins wife and stalk Ron Shandler), and I was reminded, for the millionth time, how completely terrible Matthew Berry is at fantasy analysis. I like to listen to the ESPN Fantasy Focus podcast because it has timely info, but Berry is nothing more than a clown with no real chops to back up his "feel" of the game. Most of his assertions are routinely knocked down by his partner on the podcast, Nate Ravitz, with little effort. I actually wince in pain listening to some of Berry's wild claims and attempts at statistical analysis.The worst part of this season is his slave-like adherence to BABIP as if he just learned about it last week. Everyone is suddenly "lucky" or "unlucky" by applying it in the most naive manner possible. I want to vomit.Obviously the guy knows how to turn his shtick into a lucrative career, but he always seems very desperate to be taken seriously, and that's a pretty laughable if not piss-off worthy concept.

Matthew Berry
I get that he's kind of irreverent and caters to a wide swath of the public that thirsts for lowbrow humor. I even, occasionally, find him funny. The trouble I have with Berry is that his skills are about equivalent to that of any average fantasy baseball player. I was watching that movie Fantasyland where some overwrought schlub is invited to participate in the AL-only Tout Wars (and proceeds to basically ignore his pregnant-with-twins wife and stalk Ron Shandler), and I was reminded, for the millionth time, how completely terrible Matthew Berry is at fantasy analysis. I like to listen to the ESPN Fantasy Focus podcast because it has timely info, but Berry is nothing more than a clown with no real chops to back up his "feel" of the game. Most of his assertions are routinely knocked down by his partner on the podcast, Nate Ravitz, with little effort. I actually wince in pain listening to some of Berry's wild claims and attempts at statistical analysis.The worst part of this season is his slave-like adherence to BABIP as if he just learned about it last week. Everyone is suddenly "lucky" or "unlucky" by applying it in the most naive manner possible. I want to vomit.Obviously the guy knows how to turn his shtick into a lucrative career, but he always seems very desperate to be taken seriously, and that's a pretty laughable if not piss-off worthy concept.
You nailed it.

pantagrapher said:
Mr. Pickles said:
Giant Wooden Badger said:
Matthew Berry
You nailed it.
From what I recall, Berry is hardly even in the documentary. I only remember him in the background.I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but I think you're both going overboard on the hate for him. I don't think he's great (or even very good) but he's good at his job which is to cater to the largest population of fantasy baseball players - the casual players that play in really shallow ESPN leagues. He does that well.He's clearly no genius but he's never claimed to be one. :shrug:

Twitter is awesome during the winter meetings for baseball info. I speak only as a fan, as I retired from fantasy baseball years ago.

Just added a bunch from the Paint It Black blog. Nice list!

Could use some more insightful fantasy-focussed guys to balance out the media and beat reporters.

Matthew Berry
You nailed it.
From what I recall, Berry is hardly even in the documentary. I only remember him in the background.I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but I think you're both going overboard on the hate for him. I don't think he's great (or even very good) but he's good at his job which is to cater to the largest population of fantasy baseball players - the casual players that play in really shallow ESPN leagues. He does that well.He's clearly no genius but he's never claimed to be one. :banned:
People do tend to hate on him too much, and while your last line is true, a lot of the time he does try to give actual fantasy advice/analysis and its pretty awful. My favorite thing is to look back at his love hate columns during football season the week after. Honestly, its amazing how bad his predictions are.I actually like his humor on the fantasy focus podcast, but its purely entertainment, you really can't take his analysis seriously.

People do tend to hate on him too much, and while your last line is true, a lot of the time he does try to give actual fantasy advice/analysis and its pretty awful. My favorite thing is to look back at his love hate columns during football season the week after. Honestly, its amazing how bad his predictions are.
They don't hate on him enough, IMO. He's legitimately and demonstrably bad at his craft. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't glaringly obvious how much he craves to be taken seriously.I totally agree with looking back at old predictions. The entire industry is overrun with people making wild guesses and touting their winning picks. Rarely does anyone go back and assess how well they did in hindsight. And really, if you're going to measure success of a publication or source, shouldn't that be pretty standard?

I actually like his humor on the fantasy focus podcast, but its purely entertainment, you really can't take his analysis seriously.
Have you heard the "Stephania voice?" It's put-an-icepick-through-your-eye bad. It's Ray J. Johnson, Jr. bad. It's Dane Cook bad.His columns are long, filled with horrible jokes, and offer no unique insight. I'm all for shtick, believe me, but it probably should hit more than it misses.

For a good example of what bothers me, watch this ESPN ranking summit video on catchers: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6107778&a...egoryid=2564307

Once Berry chimes in, he decides to rip on Buster Posey's prospects for 2011 by comparing him to the failure of Matt Wieters. Funny, I don't remember Matt Wieters hitting .305 with 18 HR over 105 games and looking incredible in the post season. I could have missed this, though. It is a long season.

I see a guy like Jason Grey on there and wonder why he gets almost no attention when his insights and contributions are light years beyond Berry's. I realize the guy is a little dry, but in the end, you want someone that knows what the hell they are talking about and provides some insight. Berry has never offered that.

People do tend to hate on him too much, and while your last line is true, a lot of the time he does try to give actual fantasy advice/analysis and its pretty awful. My favorite thing is to look back at his love hate columns during football season the week after. Honestly, its amazing how bad his predictions are.
They don't hate on him enough, IMO. He's legitimately and demonstrably bad at his craft. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't glaringly obvious how much he craves to be taken seriously.I totally agree with looking back at old predictions. The entire industry is overrun with people making wild guesses and touting their winning picks. Rarely does anyone go back and assess how well they did in hindsight. And really, if you're going to measure success of a publication or source, shouldn't that be pretty standard?

I actually like his humor on the fantasy focus podcast, but its purely entertainment, you really can't take his analysis seriously.
Have you heard the "Stephania voice?" It's put-an-icepick-through-your-eye bad. It's Ray J. Johnson, Jr. bad. It's Dane Cook bad.His columns are long, filled with horrible jokes, and offer no unique insight. I'm all for shtick, believe me, but it probably should hit more than it misses.

For a good example of what bothers me, watch this ESPN ranking summit video on catchers: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6107778&a...egoryid=2564307

Once Berry chimes in, he decides to rip on Buster Posey's prospects for 2011 by comparing him to the failure of Matt Wieters. Funny, I don't remember Matt Wieters hitting .305 with 18 HR over 105 games and looking incredible in the post season. I could have missed this, though. It is a long season.

I see a guy like Jason Grey on there and wonder why he gets almost no attention when his insights and contributions are light years beyond Berry's. I realize the guy is a little dry, but in the end, you want someone that knows what the hell they are talking about and provides some insight. Berry has never offered that.
Big fan

I'm getting in on this for 2011. In preparation, I've taken a look at which experts around the internet are worth hearing from on a daily basis. Many of the recommendations on this thread look great, but the one conclusion that's jumped out at me so far is that "AJ Mass" is probably some sort of large-scale shtick from one or more people at ESPN trying to see just how bad they can make this fictional guy's fantasy advice before someone calls them on it.

In just ten minutes, I found this, a mock ten team draft (for 2011!) in which he took Derek Jeter in the fourth round, and this sleepers and busts column in which he declares (among other things) that Ian Desmond will be a fantasy bust which he defends in part by citing his error total from 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting in on this for 2011. In preparation, I've taken a look at which experts around the internet are worth hearing from on a daily basis. Many of the recommendations on this thread look great, but the one conclusion that's jumped out at me so far is that "AJ Mass" is probably some sort of large-scale shtick from one or more people at ESPN trying to see just how bad they can make this fictional guy's fantasy advice before someone calls them on it.

In just ten minutes, I found this, a mock ten team draft (for 2011!) in which he took Derek Jeter in the fourth round, and this sleepers and busts column in which he declares (among other things) that Ian Desmond will be a fantasy bust which he defends in part by citing his error total from 2010.
AJ Mass and Matthew Berry should have a Thunderdome battle. I don't even care if one man leaves.His love of Ellsbury last year was comical.

Here is last year's sleepers and busts from ESPN. Now, granted, I don't expect miracles, and some years you're just going to whiff, but some of these are just comical.Berry loved Bedard last year when it was already obvious he wouldn't be playing at all in 2010. Here's the rest:

Kurt Suzuki

Lance Berkman

Scott Sizemore

Nolan Reimold

Matt Thornton

Thornton was a decent, if not obvious, call since Jenks was a time bomb, but the others were just sort of sad. Kudos to Dave Hunter (no idea who he is) for nailing Buster Posey, Carlos Gonzalez, and Billy Wagner. That was some actionable intelligence.

I'd love to see some of these experts quantify their hits and misses.

Here is last year's sleepers and busts from ESPN. Now, granted, I don't expect miracles, and some years you're just going to whiff, but some of these are just comical.Berry loved Bedard last year when it was already obvious he wouldn't be playing at all in 2010. Here's the rest:

Kurt Suzuki

Lance Berkman

Scott Sizemore

Nolan Reimold

Matt Thornton

Thornton was a decent, if not obvious, call since Jenks was a time bomb, but the others were just sort of sad. Kudos to Dave Hunter (no idea who he is) for nailing Buster Posey, Carlos Gonzalez, and Billy Wagner. That was some actionable intelligence.

I'd love to see some of these experts quantify their hits and misses.
This doesn't have the ESPN guys, but it is useful Link

'Mr. Pickles said:
You know who tweets a LOT? Jason Collette. Wow.
Yea, I make no apologies for it either :)I get a lot of fantasy questions this time of year so I'm tweeting a lot.

Mass is horrible. Consistently outlandish just for the hell of it.

Thanks for the added names to follow, here are a few from my baseball list that I didn't see in here

@mlbtraderumors

@si_jonheyman

@pgammo

@Ken_rosenthal

@MLB_updates

@jaysonst

For those of you who have Chase Utley on their keeper team, a couple phils beat writers to follow...

@jsalisburycsn

@toddzolecki

:lmao: Mr. Pickles is right on point with his takes on Berry. The man is obviously a genius to be drawing a check from espn but his fantasy columns are so bad it would actually be good for entertainment purposes. The only problem with that is the man's sense of humor flatlines. Whenever I bother to quickly scan over his latest, I come away wishing I hadn't wasted those few minutes out of my life.

:lmao: Mr. Pickles is right on point with his takes on Berry. The man is obviously a genius to be drawing a check from espn but his fantasy columns are so bad it would actually be good for entertainment purposes. The only problem with that is the man's sense of humor flatlines. Whenever I bother to quickly scan over his latest, I come away wishing I hadn't wasted those few minutes out of my life.
:goodposting: The only thing worse than his columns are his podcasts. Back when Fantasy Focus was the only thing in podcast land, I would try and fight through it to get some bits of info from Nate Ravitz or even better the guests they would have on, but I can't fight through Berry's rants and out-dated jokes.How you turn writing Crocodile Dundee 2 into a cush gig at ESPN is beyond me. I hope the devil has a good use for the soul he bought on that day.

Whatever you do, don't call Heyman a Boras-shill moron or he'll block you. Dude has some seriously thin skin. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread