Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Tecmo Bowl Throwback

Tecmo Bowl Throwback

First Tecmo Bowl Throwback Details

The SNES classic returns, now with hotter cheerleaders.

by Daemon Hatfield

LATEST IMAGES

View all 14 images

March 2, 2010 - We've known Tecmo is bringing its classic football game, Tecmo Bowl, to Xbox Live Arcade for quite some time. But we've been lacking specific details on the revival until today. Tecmo Bowl Throwback will be available on both Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network this spring. This is actually a remake of the Super Nintendo version of Tecmo Bowl, appropriately-titled Tecmo Super Bowl. Fans will find the classic game they recognize with some modern upgrades and will have the choice whether to play with updated 3D graphics or the 2D original look.

Online tournaments can be held over Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network. Tecmo says there will be 32 customizable teams but makes no mention of using the NFL license, so it sounds like you'll have to create your hometown team if you want to play them.

The first screenshots demonstrate what Tecmo Bowl Throwback will look like in its old school and updated graphics modes:

Can't wait.

Why the hell would they remake the SNES Tecmo Bowl and not the NES Tecmo Super Bowl?

My thoughts exactly. You gotta go with the version that had the Ultimate Weapon QB Eagles and the near-unstoppable KC running tandem of Word/Okoye. Bo Jackson is just icing on the cake.

Why the hell would they remake the SNES Tecmo Bowl and not the NES Tecmo Super Bowl?

My thoughts exactly. You gotta go with the version that had the Ultimate Weapon QB Eagles and the near-unstoppable KC running tandem of Word/Okoye. Bo Jackson is just icing on the cake.
LOL, they're the same game. The actual gameplay never changed, just the graphics.

All I'm saying is, it better have Bo Jackson.

this might actually make me buy an Xbox if they do this correctly. BEST. GAME. EVER.:bobNelson72sacksInAseason:
:fishing:
A whole 72 sacks?Charles Haley would net me 6+ a game.
Dude, I was like 10 years old.

This is probably the first and last time that 360 and PS3 owners are excited about getting something that Wii owners got 3 years ago.

I absolutely loved Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl as a kid. I downloaded Tecmo Bowl to the Wii. I was really fired up. After about 3 drives, I was bored to tears. Didn't finish the first game and haven't touched it since.

This is probably the first and last time that 360 and PS3 owners are excited about getting something that Wii owners got 3 years ago.

I absolutely loved Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl as a kid. I downloaded Tecmo Bowl to the Wii. I was really fired up. After about 3 drives, I was bored to tears. Didn't finish the first game and haven't touched it since.

This isn't Tecmo Bowl, nor is it the tecmo bowl released on the DS. This is a new version, well, wiht updated graphics and cut scenes, but it isn't the same game you are referring to.

Link to actual screenshot

This is probably the first and last time that 360 and PS3 owners are excited about getting something that Wii owners got 3 years ago.I absolutely loved Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl as a kid. I downloaded Tecmo Bowl to the Wii. I was really fired up. After about 3 drives, I was bored to tears. Didn't finish the first game and haven't touched it since.

Not really, there was a huge difference between Tecmo and Super Tecmo. I have a Wii and have not even bother to download Tecmo Bowl, but I can't wait for Super TB for the PS3.

The SNES version (assuming it was the same as the Sega version) was a far superior game. The original had, what, four plays to choose from? The second installment had 8 plays, and customizable playbooks. Without customizable playbooks, there were teams that were simply unplayable because you knew exactly what play was coming based on formation (or, at most, they had two plays with the same formation, but you just called the pass on defense, and played to stop the run).

Now if they would release a baseball stars with a full roster and the modern joys of gaming with the old school game play, I'd buy a system tomorrow! Tecmo does have me considering finally upgrading my ps2

Baseball stars with a roster? No way. The best part of that game was playing a league and building your players.

Tecmo Bowl Throwback

First Tecmo Bowl Throwback Details

The SNES classic returns, now with hotter cheerleaders.

by Daemon Hatfield

LATEST IMAGES

View all 14 images

March 2, 2010 - We've known Tecmo is bringing its classic football game, Tecmo Bowl, to Xbox Live Arcade for quite some time. But we've been lacking specific details on the revival until today. Tecmo Bowl Throwback will be available on both Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network this spring. This is actually a remake of the Super Nintendo version of Tecmo Bowl, appropriately-titled Tecmo Super Bowl. Fans will find the classic game they recognize with some modern upgrades and will have the choice whether to play with updated 3D graphics or the 2D original look.

Online tournaments can be held over Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network. Tecmo says there will be 32 customizable teams but makes no mention of using the NFL license, so it sounds like you'll have to create your hometown team if you want to play them.

The first screenshots demonstrate what Tecmo Bowl Throwback will look like in its old school and updated graphics modes:

I will still whip ur asssss in Tecmo like I did when we were kids.

Can't wait.

All I'm saying is, it better have Bo Jackson.

this might actually make me buy an Xbox if they do this correctly. BEST. GAME. EVER.:bobNelson72sacksInAseason:
:popcorn:
A whole 72 sacks?Charles Haley would net me 6+ a game.
Dude, I was like 10 years old.
:goodposting:

This isn't Tecmo Bowl, nor is it the tecmo bowl released on the DS. This is a new version, well, wiht updated graphics and cut scenes, but it isn't the same game you are referring to.

Link to actual screenshot

Looks alot better, obviously, but I still don't think it would be much fun. It might make it even worse. Aside from the fact that they'll charge more than $5, the Wii version was pretty much the old Tecmo Bowl. That's boring but it has nostalgic value.

Improved graphics on a football game with 8 plays? That just sounds like a bad football game with less nostalgic value.

Same as the new Punchout. New graphics on the same game. It sucked too.

I seriously doubt people getting Tecmo Super Bowl are doing it for the graphics. They're doing it to reminisce about that game they loved as a kid. If they are like me, they'll quickly remember why they've been playing other football games over the last 20 years.

Now if they would release a baseball stars with a full roster and the modern joys of gaming with the old school game play, I'd buy a system tomorrow! Tecmo does have me considering finally upgrading my ps2

Baseball Stars rocked. Tecmo will be a lot of fun.

This is probably the first and last time that 360 and PS3 owners are excited about getting something that Wii owners got 3 years ago.I absolutely loved Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl as a kid. I downloaded Tecmo Bowl to the Wii. I was really fired up. After about 3 drives, I was bored to tears. Didn't finish the first game and haven't touched it since.

My 8 year old has a Tecmo Bowl game for his Nintendo DS. It looks just like the SNES version, same plays and everything, but no liscense. I thought it would be awesome. Not so much.

A whole lot of you in here don't know what you are talking about.

Tecmo Bowl (Arcade) - Big players, I think only 8 players on each side, was kinda a mess.

Tecmo Bowl (NES) - The original - Great for it's time, now, not so much.

Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) - One of the best games, still to this day.

Tecmo Super Bowl II: Special Edition & Tecmo Super Bowl III: Final edition - Both games played the same as Tecmo Super Bowl, but the animations, music, and overall feel of the game didn't capture the fun of the 2nd version.

So this game could suck, but if they manage to make it a lot like Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES, with online leagues, multiplayer, etc.... it could be great. Granted, it's not going to be better then Madden, but for most of you, that would probably be a good thing as well.

:tinfoilhat::shrug:

:rolleyes::shrug:
I still have my Baseball Stars cartridge. :coffee:

True dat. Also a big fan of Walter Payton.

A whole lot of you in here don't know what you are talking about.Tecmo Bowl (Arcade) - Big players, I think only 8 players on each side, was kinda a mess.Tecmo Bowl (NES) - The original - Great for it's time, now, not so much.Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) - One of the best games, still to this day.Tecmo Super Bowl II: Special Edition & Tecmo Super Bowl III: Final edition - Both games played the same as Tecmo Super Bowl, but the animations, music, and overall feel of the game didn't capture the fun of the 2nd version. So this game could suck, but if they manage to make it a lot like Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES, with online leagues, multiplayer, etc.... it could be great. Granted, it's not going to be better then Madden, but for most of you, that would probably be a good thing as well.

I thought II and III solidly built upon the original... They still feel the same, work the same way, only with deeper quasi-franchise modes and create-a-player added on top of it...

A whole lot of you in here don't know what you are talking about.Tecmo Bowl (Arcade) - Big players, I think only 8 players on each side, was kinda a mess.Tecmo Bowl (NES) - The original - Great for it's time, now, not so much.Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) - One of the best games, still to this day.Tecmo Super Bowl II: Special Edition & Tecmo Super Bowl III: Final edition - Both games played the same as Tecmo Super Bowl, but the animations, music, and overall feel of the game didn't capture the fun of the 2nd version. So this game could suck, but if they manage to make it a lot like Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES, with online leagues, multiplayer, etc.... it could be great. Granted, it's not going to be better then Madden, but for most of you, that would probably be a good thing as well.

You are missing a step here, and the best game. Before Tecmo Super Bowl II and III, there was an update of Tecmo Super Bowl for the Super Nintendo and Genesis. These two are essentially the same game, but the SNES version has crisper (and in my opinion better) graphics. I would say the graphics reached their peak for that version of the game; the Nintendo version has too many bumps and glitches, while the later SNES versions add unnecessary little details that detract from the game.As was mentioned before, the SNES version added 4 more plays and the ability to change your available plays, even in game. That added just enough variety to keep the games fresh. The later versions added wrinkles like being able to pick a goal line or dime defense that took away from the simplicity that made the game fun.Really though, the true factor that might determine whether you would like the NES or SNES version better is if you'd rather run or throw the ball. The NES version was just made for getting absurdly long runs with guys like Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders. Passing, on the other hand, was a little clunky because receivers and defenders would somewhat clump together more often, and it was harder to tell when you could safely throw to an open receiver.The SNES version doesn't have Bo Jackson, but it does have a (slightly toned down) Barry Sanders, as well as Thurman Thomas and Emmitt Smith, to name a couple. The AI for running plays is much better on that version, though; you can still break off long ones, but it doesn't happen with quite as much frequency. When compared to the NES, passing is much cleaner and generally more enjoyable; it's just easier to predict what the ball will do when it leaves the quarterback's hands. You can appreciate having a good quarterback like Steve Young or receivers like Rice, Sharpe, and Rison much more on the SNES; you'll notice differences more often than just the receivers catching the ball even if they're covered.The SNES game also introduced the dive play, which has limited usefulness, and the X button (C on Genesis) for player selection. This increases strategy so much in a closely contested live game. If you haven't yet learned what it does, you'd have little chance of beating me on the SNES.

The SNES version (assuming it was the same as the Sega version) was a far superior game. The original had, what, four plays to choose from? The second installment had 8 plays, and customizable playbooks. Without customizable playbooks, there were teams that were simply unplayable because you knew exactly what play was coming based on formation (or, at most, they had two plays with the same formation, but you just called the pass on defense, and played to stop the run).
The original, which had 4 plays to choose from, was NES Tecmo Bowl. The reincarnation, with 8 plays, was NES Tecmo Super Bowl. The SNES version isn't either of those.

True dat. Also a big fan of Walter Payton.
I think that was Tecmo Bowl, not Tecmo Super Bowl. IIRC, Tecmo Super Bowl featured Neal Anderson...

Pretty sure the Wii release people are talking about is the arcade version of the game. Closest thing to Tecmo Super for NES that has been released is the DS game, but as pointed out the fact that it doesn't have NFL licensing makes it blow. This apparantly has an updated graphics mode along with throwback mode, but if it doesn't have real NFL players from some era it's going to ruin it.

It looks like they have both arcade and original NES Tecmo Bowl on the virtual console, both of which suck in comparison to Tecmo Super Bowl. But they just used numbers in them because of NFL licensing issues.

It looks like they have both arcade and original NES Tecmo Bowl on the virtual console, both of which suck in comparison to Tecmo Super Bowl. But they just used numbers in them because of NFL licensing issues.

Are they going to use the current roster or the roster the game came out with? If this is truely just a 'remake' of the old game with the same rosters, I don't see why they can't use the names. Does the NFL license cover retired players as well?

Are they going to use the current roster or the roster the game came out with? If this is truely just a 'remake' of the old game with the same rosters, I don't see why they can't use the names. Does the NFL license cover retired players as well?
My guess is neither - they're going to make up some crappy names. This is what they did for Tecmo Kickoff for DS. From what I understand the NFL licenses covers all of these players, which is why the original Tecmo they released on Wii has player numbers. Back in the day they made up the team names because they didn't have an NFL license, but the player names were in the game. Rumors I have read suggested this is why they haven't re released Super, because it would be a ruined version of it.Now, they did make the teams and rosters in Kickoff customizable. So if you want to go through the trouble, you can actually rename every team and player to what you want. But that's ridiculous, and I don't know how it works out when you play online with someone that hasn't edited theirs. There's also other issues, because you only have so many points for stats until you earn them, so until you play a bunch with all the teams you won't be able to customize the player stats as you want them. Maybe if this is popular enough there will be some way to get roster updates from people online or something. Kickoff had terrible sales so I can't find anything on that end.Personally, I liked Tecmo, but I think the guys excited for this are going to be disappointed. If you wanted to be playing Tecmo Super against people online, there are emulators out there that will do this. There's even people that mod the game so it has the current teams and players. This is just going to be a ruined version of that.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember an old Nintendo baseball game that didn't put the real player's name, but very close. So close, that i was obvious. For example, Paul Oneil was OPaul. It basically had the real rosters, but with plays on the names like that. I assume you can't get away with that anymore?

See - it's a bunch of made up crappy names. Not having the NFL license really hurts.

I'll gladly edit the team names and play it just fine. An NFL license does not equal a good football game.

Archived