What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

INSANITY (1 Viewer)

Heading into first Max Recovery day (which I have read is no walk in the park). Feel like a spaz with some of these new moves, but hoping I round into better form the more I see them. Sore in some new spots, so guess I am working it to some degree, but back to breaking in the second set. But, hope to push through like I did in round one.

Pure Cardio was pretty tough. I had to pause it once with about 12 minutes left when we were doing the push ups and then I found myself stopping with about 10seconds left in each exercise after that til the end. I am happy with my progress though. I feel like I am working the hardest I can and I feel good. I dont know if it is artificial because I want to feel good or the fact that I almost feel a little lighter and my body feels great now that the soreness has wore off. The area between my chest and stomach (upper abs?) feels tight all the time. Not a bad thing. I must not use those muscles a lot in every day life. One more workout for the week and I am off tomorrow. So far so good. I hope I can do as well for the next 55 days (although passover is going to kill my diet. Stupid Moses)

Here is a question for people who know fitness more then I do. I have a small problem

Wilked commented that I should not worry about losing weight. I understand that and understand the relationship between body fat and weight composition

BUT

I am now 1 week into Insanity and I like it. The workouts are tough but not a killer. I am very overweight by those charts that show the height and weight. However, even when I am at my healthy weight, I look good and feel good about 15-20 ponds over the suggested (I am 5'6 and am good at 170-175. I am currently 195 which probably makes me obese. I just gained the 20 pounds since November)

Anyway, I have not lost one pound and I may have even gained one or two during my first week of insanity. However, there is no doubt that I have lost body fat because my pants that were tight a week ago now are nice and even a little loose.

So what is the play here? I really want to lose weight because I need to get healthy not only dropping fat but pounds too. But I cant complain feeling better and having my pants fit.

I know I can drop my calories but I dont want to sacrafice nutririon for my workouts. I am kind of in a catch 22. According to Insanity, I am supposed to be eating 2500 caloiries a day to lose weight. Maybe I calculated it wrong and need to do it again but I am 99% sure I did it right. Do I drop to 1500-1700 or give it another week and see what happens

Thanks for taking the time to read that. It was longer then I hoped. Sorry for that

Big mistake to drop below 2K calories. Why don't you post your day to day diet and we can take a look. Keep eating though, eat often. Healthy breakfast within 30-45 mins after waking, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner. Lots of veggies.

You using the Recovery Drink? I honestly don't think you need it for insanity, but that is my opinion.

Please tell me you don't drink any soda.

More than anything, be patient. If you didn't measure your waist, legs, chest, etc, do it now. Don't weigh yourself every day.

I am done with INsanity in 3 days, haven't weighed myself at all (or at the beginning) of the program. Now this is mainly due to no access to a scale, but it is kind of nice to not worry about this number, and rather to use the important stats (how I feel, the mirror) to define my progress.

As to your height / weight, everyone has a different body type. Get down to that 175/170 and reassess things there

'wilked said:
Big mistake to drop below 2K calories. Why don't you post your day to day diet and we can take a look. Keep eating though, eat often. Healthy breakfast within 30-45 mins after waking, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner. Lots of veggies. You using the Recovery Drink? I honestly don't think you need it for insanity, but that is my opinion.Please tell me you don't drink any soda.More than anything, be patient. If you didn't measure your waist, legs, chest, etc, do it now. Don't weigh yourself every day.I am done with INsanity in 3 days, haven't weighed myself at all (or at the beginning) of the program. Now this is mainly due to no access to a scale, but it is kind of nice to not worry about this number, and rather to use the important stats (how I feel, the mirror) to define my progress.As to your height / weight, everyone has a different body type. Get down to that 175/170 and reassess things there
I eat 5 meals a day. Breakfast, Snack 1, Lunch, Snack 2, DinnerI will choose from any of these in a given day-Protein Bar (no more then 400 calories)-Protein Shake (300 calories)-BLT with Turkey Bacon and whole wheat bread-2 Egg Whites and 1 whole egg on a Whole Wheat English Muffin with a slice of reduced fat cheese and 2 slices of Turkey Bacon-7 Whole Wheat crackers with 2 oz of Ham and 2 oz of Turkey-I will add a Banana or grapes with lunch or snack at times-Salmon Roll with Brown Rice-Kashi Go Now with skim milk** Dinner has caused a slight problem with following the Insanity diet. However, when I did go out, I always chose to have the grilled chicken or grilled salmon options with roasted potatoes **** I messed up yesterday by having 2 wings :bag:

Acer> Stick with that diet and the workout and you will lose weight, lose fat, gain lean tissue. For sure

One more day to go! (and then Final Fit Test). Wow, so close...it's gonna feel good.

Tomorrow night I go out to eat, so it will be Thursday. I gotta think of a personal reward to give myself...

Did Max Plyo today, damn, that middle set is still really tough, always wears me down. But then the final set is the weakest of all... Anyoen else think it's hilarious how much buildup there is to that final 12 balance pushups? Shaun T goes into all this setup, almost a minute's worth...and then it is 12 pushups, not super difficult.

Big mistake to drop below 2K calories. Why don't you post your day to day diet and we can take a look. Keep eating though, eat often. Healthy breakfast within 30-45 mins after waking, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner. Lots of veggies. You using the Recovery Drink? I honestly don't think you need it for insanity, but that is my opinion.Please tell me you don't drink any soda.More than anything, be patient. If you didn't measure your waist, legs, chest, etc, do it now. Don't weigh yourself every day.I am done with INsanity in 3 days, haven't weighed myself at all (or at the beginning) of the program. Now this is mainly due to no access to a scale, but it is kind of nice to not worry about this number, and rather to use the important stats (how I feel, the mirror) to define my progress.As to your height / weight, everyone has a different body type. Get down to that 175/170 and reassess things there
I eat 5 meals a day. Breakfast, Snack 1, Lunch, Snack 2, DinnerI will choose from any of these in a given day-Protein Bar (no more then 400 calories)-Protein Shake (300 calories)-BLT with Turkey Bacon and whole wheat bread-2 Egg Whites and 1 whole egg on a Whole Wheat English Muffin with a slice of reduced fat cheese and 2 slices of Turkey Bacon-7 Whole Wheat crackers with 2 oz of Ham and 2 oz of Turkey-I will add a Banana or grapes with lunch or snack at times-Salmon Roll with Brown Rice-Kashi Go Now with skim milk** Dinner has caused a slight problem with following the Insanity diet. However, when I did go out, I always chose to have the grilled chicken or grilled salmon options with roasted potatoes **** I messed up yesterday by having 2 wings :bag:
That almost seems like not ENOUGH food

Just for S&G's, here are my Fit Test 1 numbers:Switch Kicks: 123Power Jacks: 37Power Knees: 56Power Jumps: 15Globe Jumps: 4Suicide Jumps: 11Push-Up Jacks: 15Low Plank Oblique: 40Weight: 225 (this is a guess, I haven't checked)Height: 6'0"
*sigh* 1 year later and time to try it again...Switch kicks: 112Powerjack: 37Power knees: 82Suicide jumps: 20Globe jumps: 6Power jumps: 6Push up jacks: 14Obliques: 38Weight: Ugh.Height: 6'0

I've done two rounds of p90x and thinking of giving insanity a whirl next. My problem is that I am very tall and thin and worried that insanity will not build any mass. I can't imagine that I could lose more weight, lost about 12lbs with p90x the first go around...basically held through the second. I have one week left. The second time around I didn't really notice any difference with anything other than all my numbers increased slightly from the end of the first time. I would like to be able to add some mass or at least more definition in my chest, abs, arms, and legs. Thought I would get that from a second round of p90x since the first round was so dramatic.

What do you guys think?

I would like to be able to add some mass or at least more definition in my chest, abs, arms, and legs.
I think you will build your core, legs, abs in Insanity. Not chest and arms.Honestly, I am usually against a trainer but you might be at the point where you would benefit from a good one

I would like to be able to add some mass or at least more definition in my chest, abs, arms, and legs.
I think you will build your core, legs, abs in Insanity. Not chest and arms.Honestly, I am usually against a trainer but you might be at the point where you would benefit from a good one
Thanks for your feedack...My other thought is that it can't hurt and at least it will be something different for a while.

It certainly won't hurt. And after 180+ days of Tony, you need a break from him.

Worht a read as well is 4 Hour Body. Email me and I will send the pdf to you, my username at gmail

Week 7 Recovery Day complete. Man, that blank work gets tough at the end and ending squats...whew! But 2+ weeks to go for completion.

Starting to think about what to do afterwards. I posted earlier in the thread that I found a posting on the Beachbody site stating Shaun T. says to take a two week break before starting another cycle. However, I am thinking that does not mean a complete stop. So, wondering what others think. Do the Cardio Recovery and Balance cycle for two weeks? Something else.

Also not sure I am going to jump back into another cycle, so wondering if any of the FBGs who completed Insanity can share their post-Insanity program.

I am definitely building my stamina. I am able to get thru most of the video without taking breaks. Needed a few at the end. Just eager to see the payout since I don't look much different yet. I know I have to be patient

I did my last workout tonight. I officially completed Insanity...now give me my dang T-shirt. I will post all my fit test numbers when my body stops shaking.

Been a while since I posted. In the final week (goodbye Max Interval Circuit!!) with one more run through each program. Was a little bummed to find out I don't have a recovery program this week. Guess Shaun T wants to crush you in the final week. Overall, while not dropping much weight, definitely dropped some waist size (going one more notch in on the ole belt) and improved muscle tone. While not shaping up like some of the folks you see in the adverts, it has served its purpose.

Debating another cycle, but will take at least a week off (will do the Recovery week again). Curious what those who completed the program wound up doing afterwards? I was not in a regular exercise cycle prior to this, so don't want to fall off the cliff. However, another 6 days/week for 9 weeks is not sounding too good right now either.

Thoughts?

Been a while since I posted. In the final week (goodbye Max Interval Circuit!!) with one more run through each program. Was a little bummed to find out I don't have a recovery program this week. Guess Shaun T wants to crush you in the final week. Overall, while not dropping much weight, definitely dropped some waist size (going one more notch in on the ole belt) and improved muscle tone. While not shaping up like some of the folks you see in the adverts, it has served its purpose. Debating another cycle, but will take at least a week off (will do the Recovery week again). Curious what those who completed the program wound up doing afterwards? I was not in a regular exercise cycle prior to this, so don't want to fall off the cliff. However, another 6 days/week for 9 weeks is not sounding too good right now either.Thoughts?
Haven't posted for a while either, but did complete insanity. Lost 16 lbs and 1.5 to 2 inches in my waist. Feel so much better. No back pain, stronger, no heartburn, blood pressure down.I took about 2 weeks off and started P90X on Thursday. Haven't been through much of the thread on P90X and didn't realize there was a "Lean" regimen. Fits me perfectly. I was also hesitant to get into another long, 6 days a week program, but I really like it so far. Not nearly as intense, cardio-wise, but you definately know you have worked out. Ab Ripper X is 5X harder on my abs than anything Insanity had. I also plan on not getting bent out of shape if I miss a workout (Ex.- I will miss Yoga today). I feel like I am in a place with my body that I don't need all 6 days anymore. 4-5 will be just fine.Somebody mentioned diet (i.e. calories). IMO calories do matter. I have cut my intake to 1200-1500 a day and made it through insanity just fine. Ate a lot more protein, kept carbs at or under 100 a day, really watched my sugar intake (rarely went over 20g a day) and a crap ton of water. I

I just started my recovery week with core cardio and balance

I am down about 10 pounds and my pants that were tight are no longer tight but I have not dropped a size yet.

I also dropped my calories against what Wilked suggested. I know I am not going to look like the people in the video so my main goal was weight loss. If I decide to run thru this again when I am done, I can be more serious into shaping my body if I feel the need to. But since I have cut my calories, the weight has really burned off. I know this is costing me lean muscle but I need to get my pounds down then work on other things

I have also not been able to do the cardio abs once. I attempted it twice and was just too beat to complete it. I hope this doesnt screw me when I get to the max workouts next week

Cycle 1 completed on Sunday. Woo Hoo!

Doing Recovery week again as I debate jumping in for another cycle. Likely will to maintain heading into the summer, but, have to be honest, not looking forward to slogging through another nine weeks. Guess I'll have to DIG DEEPER!

Anyone else wear a heart rate monitor during these workouts. Wife seems to be concerned that mine gets up to 175.

Anyone else wear a heart rate monitor during these workouts. Wife seems to be concerned that mine gets up to 175.
I wore one quite often and my heart rate would spike at 180 - 182 (I'm 43). Average for the whole workout (incl stretching) would usually be 160 - 161. Tell wifey to chill out, you're just working hard.

I did every once and a while to gage how I felt compared to what my heart rate was. I'm 24, 6'0", and 165 pounds. My heart rate average in Insanity workouts was like 154(going from memory), with a peak of 191, and max(from the calculations) of something like 198/199. If I pushed myself I would hit the high 170s or the low 180s. I went to my personal maximum effort for 3 minutes straight to hit the 190 and I could feel a difference with my body saying it was too much. It helped me in getting a sense of what is normal and what is only for life and death type stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a miserable recovery week. Between me not feeling well and taking care of family members that were not feeling well, I missed two days this week. First time I missed more then one and I always made that one up.

I hope this doesnt screw me as I get into the max workouts. I am actually pretty scared about them

I plan on putting each max workout on my iphone so I can do it anywhere even at work.

Just dont know why we do the fit test and an entire workout. That might hurt

Had a miserable recovery week. Between me not feeling well and taking care of family members that were not feeling well, I missed two days this week. First time I missed more then one and I always made that one up.

I hope this doesnt screw me as I get into the max workouts. I am actually pretty scared about them

I plan on putting each max workout on my iphone so I can do it anywhere even at work.

Just dont know why we do the fit test and an entire workout. That might hurt
Many (myself included) did the Fit Test on the off day. I would recommend that option.

I admit to not reading this whole thread so I don't know if this has been discussed but these max workouts are not fun. I really liked the first month. I thought the workouts were challenging, never got boring and perfect in terms of time. I honestly looked forward to my workout every day.

But after max cardio and max plyo, I almost have no interest in sticking it out for the lag month. I think the workout is too long and too challenging. My body aches and not in a good way.

I feel miserable and probably have a bad sinus infaction so that may be part of it but I am in no way looking forward to this anymore. I will trek on for this week taking today off since my head hurts too much but how did you guys get thru it and am I alone here. Maybe I'm just a beeotch and it's that time of the month for me.

You finish the program because you have gone too far to turn back. That is what I kept thinking. But yes, it gets really tough to motivate

I admit to not reading this whole thread so I don't know if this has been discussed but these max workouts are not fun. I really liked the first month. I thought the workouts were challenging, never got boring and perfect in terms of time. I honestly looked forward to my workout every day. But after max cardio and max plyo, I almost have no interest in sticking it out for the lag month. I think the workout is too long and too challenging. My body aches and not in a good way. I feel miserable and probably have a bad sinus infaction so that may be part of it but I am in no way looking forward to this anymore. I will trek on for this week taking today off since my head hurts too much but how did you guys get thru it and am I alone here. Maybe I'm just a beeotch and it's that time of the month for me.
Just take breaks when you need them and push through. When you're done, you can look forward to incorporating month 1 workouts into your regular routine. Plus, it'll give you a tremendous sense of accomplishment. If you can push through week 3 of the 2nd month, then you can take a step back and feel really good knowing you're a week away. There's also Insanity Asylum to look forward to.

I admit to not reading this whole thread so I don't know if this has been discussed but these max workouts are not fun. I really liked the first month. I thought the workouts were challenging, never got boring and perfect in terms of time. I honestly looked forward to my workout every day. But after max cardio and max plyo, I almost have no interest in sticking it out for the lag month. I think the workout is too long and too challenging. My body aches and not in a good way. I feel miserable and probably have a bad sinus infaction so that may be part of it but I am in no way looking forward to this anymore. I will trek on for this week taking today off since my head hurts too much but how did you guys get thru it and am I alone here. Maybe I'm just a beeotch and it's that time of the month for me.
Just take breaks when you need them and push through. When you're done, you can look forward to incorporating month 1 workouts into your regular routine. Plus, it'll give you a tremendous sense of accomplishment. If you can push through week 3 of the 2nd month, then you can take a step back and feel really good knowing you're a week away. There's also Insanity Asylum to look forward to.
To further this sentiment, I found my biggest breakthroughs came when I stopped worrying about "keeping up" and had a greater focus on form. It is tough to keep pushing yourself, but, look at it this way, whatever you are doing is better than nothing at all. Even if you aren't keeping pace with those onscreen, you are still likely pushing/improving.Keep the faith!

Jan 20 - 238.5

Apr 20 - 211.8

Lost 3" in my waist (39 to 36).

This was accomplished doing Insanity 2-3X a week and eating less.

I cut out cokes and alcohol except for 2-3 on the weekends. Haven't really restricted my diet any... just using a "moderation is key" approach. I eat whatever I want... just much smaller portions than before.

I hurt my back 3 weeks ago so I haven't done any Insanity workouts since then (doc orders). Phys therapy 2X a week right now until everything is stronger. It sucks because I had just started doing the Max workouts and really enjoyed those despite their difficulty. These remind me of my old soccer workouts in HS, except now they don't seem like punishment for doing something wrong.

I'm setting my next milestone date as July 20. Goal weight is 195. Stretch goal is 190. Would like to trim another inch in my waist.

Oh, and if anyone has tried Asylum, I'd like to hear about it. My wife and I will be getting our hot little hands on that one soon I think. She's hardcore.

Jan 20 - 238.5Apr 20 - 211.8Lost 3" in my waist (39 to 36).This was accomplished doing Insanity 2-3X a week and eating less.I cut out cokes and alcohol except for 2-3 on the weekends. Haven't really restricted my diet any... just using a "moderation is key" approach. I eat whatever I want... just much smaller portions than before.I hurt my back 3 weeks ago so I haven't done any Insanity workouts since then (doc orders). Phys therapy 2X a week right now until everything is stronger. It sucks because I had just started doing the Max workouts and really enjoyed those despite their difficulty. These remind me of my old soccer workouts in HS, except now they don't seem like punishment for doing something wrong.I'm setting my next milestone date as July 20. Goal weight is 195. Stretch goal is 190. Would like to trim another inch in my waist.
:thumbup:

I was meaning to post my Fit Test numbers and forgot. I saw lots of improvement but topped out the last few tests a little.

Move 1 2 3 4 5

Switch kicks 83 113 120 137 138

Power Jacks 40 45 46 55 54

Power Knees 57 90 96 103 113

Power Jumps 20 37 56 65 75

Globe Jumps 6 9 11 10 11

Suicide Jumps 10 16 20 21 20

Push-up Jacks 18 25 25 32 30

Low Plank Oblique 28 48 53 61 65

Lack of flexibility helped me on switch kicks. Since my legs aren't going as high I can do them quicker. I got to where I would never rest on Power Jumps and pop or rebound off the floor immediately like a gymnast or something,I would be spent for the rest of the test after those though.

My waist started at 34.75 and I forgot to measure it at the last fit test so I just did it and it is at 33. I think I said this before but I measure around the biggest part of my stomach since that is what I am hoping to get smaller.

Jan 20 - 238.5Apr 20 - 211.8Lost 3" in my waist (39 to 36).This was accomplished doing Insanity 2-3X a week and eating less.I cut out cokes and alcohol except for 2-3 on the weekends. Haven't really restricted my diet any... just using a "moderation is key" approach. I eat whatever I want... just much smaller portions than before.I hurt my back 3 weeks ago so I haven't done any Insanity workouts since then (doc orders). Phys therapy 2X a week right now until everything is stronger. It sucks because I had just started doing the Max workouts and really enjoyed those despite their difficulty. These remind me of my old soccer workouts in HS, except now they don't seem like punishment for doing something wrong.I'm setting my next milestone date as July 20. Goal weight is 195. Stretch goal is 190. Would like to trim another inch in my waist.
I think me and you are one the same page. I just finished p90x. Started Jan 5 at 238. Weighed in this morning at 213. Went from about a 40 in waist to 36ish. I did the diet pretty good the first month, but after that I just stayed away from pizza, beer, fast food etc and just ate much smaller portions. I tried Insanity about this time last year and quit pretty quickly, had a newborn in the house and was too out of shape. I'm going to try and convince myself to go ahead and jump right in on Monday. Only give me about a week off, but I can get lazy real quick. I'd like to be under 200, seems reasonable. I have plenty of weight to lose.

Thanks to those trying to spur me forward. Did the 3rd workout from max and enjoyed it

Didn't get to max recovery yet. I'll stay with it for 3 more weeks. I'll take it at my own pace. Doing something is better then nothing

Asylum looks more insane then insanity

Oh, and if anyone has tried Asylum, I'd like to hear about it. My wife and I will be getting our hot little hands on that one soon I think. She's hardcore.
I have gotten the ads for that, too. I was wondering how it compared. Start an Asylum thread when you get it!
I'm 'aquiring' it now. Actually, I have all the files, just need to do some converting before I can play them.. I's only 30 days long. There are random rest days and relief days mixed in. Week 1 has a rest day on day 5. Week 2 has 2 relief days....'relief' is a 25 minute stretch and recovery workout. Week 3 doesn't have any rest days...only has one relief day. There isn't a separate abs workout like what Insanity and p(90)X have. Need and agility ladder and speed jump rope. And some dumbbells and pull up bar for the 'strength' disk.

Started week 2 yesterday. I've been able to keep up with them, for the most part.

Seen it mentioned here recently, but I have actually gained 2 pounds since starting. I try not to weigh too often, but had that feeling. I didn't have a great week diet wise, due to some traveling, but I'd think working that hard I at least wouldn't have gained 2 lbs.

Oh well, keep plugging away. It is quite encouraging when you turn on the dvd and its only 35 minutes after doing p90x.

Started week 2 yesterday. I've been able to keep up with them, for the most part. Seen it mentioned here recently, but I have actually gained 2 pounds since starting. I try not to weigh too often, but had that feeling. I didn't have a great week diet wise, due to some traveling, but I'd think working that hard I at least wouldn't have gained 2 lbs. Oh well, keep plugging away. It is quite encouraging when you turn on the dvd and its only 35 minutes after doing p90x.
yeah, that happened to me. Just keep with it. I lost 10 pounds by the end of the first monthI have not been motivated enough to stay with it though. First month was awesome

Started week 2 yesterday. I've been able to keep up with them, for the most part. Seen it mentioned here recently, but I have actually gained 2 pounds since starting. I try not to weigh too often, but had that feeling. I didn't have a great week diet wise, due to some traveling, but I'd think working that hard I at least wouldn't have gained 2 lbs. Oh well, keep plugging away. It is quite encouraging when you turn on the dvd and its only 35 minutes after doing p90x.
Check your measurements, gain of any muscle can mask the loss of fat, and since it is more dense, your measurements may decrease. Additionally, a couple pound swing could easily be due to hydration swings. Like if you weigh yourself after a workout versus after a meal. Also, the trauma of some of the workouts may cause some additional retention of water (maybe).

Users who are viewing this thread