What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

INSANITY (1 Viewer)

My calf was feeling a little iffy yesterday so I did cardio abs instead of pure cardio to give it a break. Seemed to work my hip flexors more than anything, and did almost nothing in the way of upper ab work. :shrug:
How's it going?

'flapgreen said:
My calf was feeling a little iffy yesterday so I did cardio abs instead of pure cardio to give it a break. Seemed to work my hip flexors more than anything, and did almost nothing in the way of upper ab work. :shrug:
How's it going?
6 days a week was killing my knees, and I didn't like that there was almost no upper body work so I've modified it. I am know doing 3 days a week and hitting the gym on the alternate days.

I'm down to my last 1.5 weeks. Last fit test Monday had some decent increases, will probably post the last two when I wrap up next week. I've typically rested on the Recovery days (instead of doing the workouts) and am modifying slightly this and next week to accomodate a trail 1/2 Marathon with some big hills. I've been very consistent and have seen some nice results in strength increases, weight loss and overall body appearance, but have been throwing in runs, bikes and weights probably another 4 days a week at least to supplement the Insanity. Am looking forward to wrapping this up as the workouts are getting a little old. Would rather they mixed up 6 or 8 different sessions instead of just 3 at a time. For example, I did Pure Cardo + Abs today instead of Max Cardio and it was much more fresh. Also, can almost get through Level 3 drills (3x) in Max Plyo while when I started I don't think I could get through Level 1's.

How long are the workouts for this? I'm looking for something in the 30-45 minute range.
most are right around 40 mins and that includes warm-up, stretching, etc
The second month (Max workouts) are closer to 50-60 minutes which in actual work length (non-warmup, non-stretching) is probably a 40-50% increase in time compared to Month 1. Plus they throw in a 20 minute abs workout once a week in the last couple weeks of Month 1 and Month 2.

I

'flapgreen said:
How's it going?
6 days a week was killing my knees, and I didn't like that there was almost no upper body work so I've modified it. I am know doing 3 days a week and hitting the gym on the alternate days.
Basically what I'm doing. 3 days a week Insanity. 3 days a week weights. Replaced my normal cardio workouts with Insanity.

This post summarizes my results, but sort of rambles at the end, you are warned. Did my last fit test today and final measurements. Started on 5/16 at 150.4 lbs and 34" waist (5'7"), ended today 7/16 at 143.4 lb and 31" waist. I look a lot stronger and pretty fit, would estimated around 10% body fat or so. I accomplished what I had hoped for with the program (more thoughts below). Last fit test blew the rest away!

Fit Test #1 #2: #3 #4 #5

Switch kicks: 139 135 137 148 157 (+18)

Power jacks: 51 59 59 55 60 (+9)

Power knees: 75 93 84 102 108 (+33)

Power jumps: 54 68 72 80 100 (+46)

Globe jumps: 9 rotations, 12 14 13.5 14 (+5)

Suicide jumps: 23 24 24 26 27 (+4)

Push-up jacks: 29 29 34 38 41 (+11)

Low plank oblique: 78 89 85 110 115 (+37)

I switched to eating Primal about half way through, though wasn't super tight with it the last couple weeks esp. with beers and such over the holiday. I supplemented the Insanity with mostly easy runs 3-4 times per week (4-6 miles in length, the occasional 8-13 mile one to stay ready for longer running races), did a 100 mile easy bike ride in there, a 10k running race and a half marathon trail run. These took the place of the Saturday Insanity workouts, otherwise I did nearly all the workouts but typically chose to sleep in and actually recover instead of doing the "recovery" workouts. I also was lifting or doing the primal body weight exercises (pushup, pullup, military presses) about 1-2 times per week (probably averaged 1.5x/week over the Insanity period) which I think contributed a lot to my pushup numbers and overall physique improvement.

By the end I thought it was getting a little old as they only rotated 3 workouts in per month. I actually give the program a lot of credit for motivation though. Before starting this program, I wasn't in a great place mentally or physically. I ran frequently without purpose, I was a little bitter about things in my life and probably drank too much as well. I finally had enough and made a large effort to improve myself mentally and physically and this program motivated me to get out of bed early and put in the effort which was a big difference than my normal morning (and evening) routine. My mental outlook has improved drastically, and subsequently has carried over into other areas of my life including my marriage. I want to credit Athol Kay's site for some of that as well (see Sex as Weapon thread if you've been under a rock).

I'm still not sure what's next though. At one point I thought Asylum, but I think I've had enough of the HIIT for now. Would still like to get stronger and improve body comp even more so probably shifting more towards lifting (have a bench and weights/pullup bar at home), maybe CrossFit which my wife does, possibly P90X. Good luck to those looking to improve, this program is hard but I enjoyed it :thumbup:

Just finished my first week of the max workouts. I've kept up with the programs just fine, but my joints are feeling it. I've developed some tendinitis in the knees from all of the jumping. Debating whether to take a week off or if it is just my body getting accustomed to the longer, more demanding workouts.

Just finished my first week of the max workouts. I've kept up with the programs just fine, but my joints are feeling it. I've developed some tendinitis in the knees from all of the jumping. Debating whether to take a week off or if it is just my body getting accustomed to the longer, more demanding workouts.
Found the same, so started wearing knee braces, which helped. Also, glucosamine chondroitin is your friend. With these two in combination, I have made it through two consecutive cycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found the same, so started wearing knee braces, which helped. Also, glucosamine chondroitin is your friend. With these two in combination, I have made it through two consecutive cycles.
Cool - I'll try that as well.

How long are the workouts for this? I'm looking for something in the 30-45 minute range.
most are right around 40 mins and that includes warm-up, stretching, etc
Around an hour for the second 30 day part. Are you guys taking anything post or pre workout? I have one more week left until my 60 days are up. I have gotten a lot more tight, firmed up and lost a little over an inch on my waist. I feel great and love the workouts. No longer am I going to waste more time jogging where your body just gets used to it plus this workout really makes you stronger.I am thinking about using the food guide, I eat well enough but interested to see second time around what the results will be. I am trying to burn the small layer over stomach which I think probably falls on diet or not taking in the right C/P/F % because I feel ripped underneath but can't burn that small layer.Funny but at the end of the first 30 day part I pretty much had it down pat then starting up the second 30 day I felt like I did when I first started Insanity. I highly recommend this program.

I can't stay with this thing. I have done probably a half dozen 2-3 week sessions and just lose interest in it. I definitely feel and see a difference in those 2-3 weeks, but there is too much repetition of moves for me. Any suggestions as to how to keep it going?

Copied this over from Otis' other thread. Writing this more for my benefit than anything else but hopefully if someone else starts going through the program they will find it useful.

Starting Weight(1/1/12): 243.7

Current Weight:

Height: 6'6"

% Lost:

Lbs Lost:

Goal: 215

First day fit-test results:

Switchkicks - 80

Power Jacks - 55

Left Knee things - 82

Jump Squats - 30

Around the World - 7

Suicides - 13

Jumping Jack Pushups - 16

Obliques - 45

Probably could have pushed myself more, but didn't want to absolutely crush myself on the first day.

Had a hard time getting to sleep last night, was feeling pretty sore - mostly in my groin area. Woke up feeling okay, a lot of general body soreness. Not so terrible I couldn't get to today's workout though which was the Plyometric Cardio Circuit. It is crazy how fast you start sweating just doing the warmup and stretches. I am very inflexible so some of the stretches are actually quite difficult for me (also likely due to poor leg strength).

Took a lot of breaks, my shoulders aren't as strong as I would like as the pushup and planking sequences were tough for me.

Ate a banana and had some chocolate milk to try and stave off some soreness for tomorrows workout.

Im starting this up again today as well. Skipping the fit test and getting right into cardio circuit

Need to lose 20 or 40. Plan on sticking it out this time though

did some running yesterday as a precursor to Insanity or P90x (or maybe both - need to buy the latter).

I figure I have to get my cardio up at least a little before I dive back in.

did some running yesterday as a precursor to Insanity or P90x (or maybe both - need to buy the latter).I figure I have to get my cardio up at least a little before I dive back in.
I break into cold sweats even thinking about doing Insanity every day again. I can't believe I made it through once.

did some running yesterday as a precursor to Insanity or P90x (or maybe both - need to buy the latter).I figure I have to get my cardio up at least a little before I dive back in.
I break into cold sweats even thinking about doing Insanity every day again. I can't believe I made it through once.
I enjoyed the routine. Granted, I only did about 6 weeks, but it was nice to get into a regimen. I need some structure like that.

Insanity was my absolute least favorite workout routine. Currently doing crossfit and absolutely love it.

Insanity was my absolute least favorite workout routine. Currently doing crossfit and absolutely love it.
I think Insanity is very effective and great total body workout. It just kicked the crap out of me every day.
I really liked insanity too, though prefer a basement lifting/Crossfit (occasionally with others) routine more now. Insanity was the only thing since HS Sports where I felt accountable to get up early (around 5 am) to work out.

Last time I tried this I hurt myself about 1.5 weeks in and never picked it back up after I recovered, but I'm going to try it again. I'll have to start easy, as I have a good 60-70 pounds to lose and am way out of shape.

Plan to start next Monday and do it in the evenings. Goal this time to to start slow and work my way up to full swing.

'AcerFC said:
Im starting this up again today as well. Skipping the fit test and getting right into cardio circuitNeed to lose 20 or 40. Plan on sticking it out this time though
I did the fit test before the first time I did Insanity but not the other times. I don't need to measure the amount of movements I can get through in a certain amount of time to know that I'm getting in better shape.

Day 3: Cardio Power & Resistance.

Definitely wasn't feeling it today, have to hope this fairly crippling soreness will abate as I continue. Especially when during the workouts I really feel it in my calfs for some reason - just an annoying tightness. :shrug:

Besides having to take so many breaks I think it went okay. This one is definitely more focused on the explosive movements (and is thus tougher on the joints).

Probably the most frustrating thing is how hard the stupid stretching part is for me. My legs probably shake more during this than any other time and I end up having to modify them.

Hope everyone else is still sticking with it. :hifive:

Day 3: Cardio Power & Resistance. Definitely wasn't feeling it today, have to hope this fairly crippling soreness will abate as I continue. Especially when during the workouts I really feel it in my calfs for some reason - just an annoying tightness. :shrug:Besides having to take so many breaks I think it went okay. This one is definitely more focused on the explosive movements (and is thus tougher on the joints).Probably the most frustrating thing is how hard the stupid stretching part is for me. My legs probably shake more during this than any other time and I end up having to modify them. Hope everyone else is still sticking with it. :hifive:
Soreness will go away day 4/day 5 or so, so keep on pushin' through.Have done this for almost a year. Did two full cycles, then cut back to 5 times/wk. Almost 4 cycles total, taking a two week break of doing Core Cardio and Balance between cycles. Almost ready for phase 2 workouts again, but may wimp out due to heavy travel. Went from upper 170's to lower 160's and have maintained. Getting bored, so that combined with travel (and the shaky diet that goes along with it) could be the death knell for Insanity. But, I have been hitting the treadmill in the hotel gyms for 30 minutes/day, so better than nothing, right?

Less sore today. Would have probably been feeling even better if I didn't get suckered into pizza and beer during an impromptu playoff fantasy football draft. :wall:

Oh well, 'Cardio Recovery' went pretty well. Can't get nearly as deep into the stretches or hold them as long, but that should come with time. Only concern at this point is a sore right calf.

For the record, when Shaun T is going around pointing out everyone keeping their 'core tight' - it is depressing to feel your love handles pinching and constricting movement :kicksrock:

Experimented with doing this in the nude while wearing tennis shoes only. Don't do it. Way to much floppage. I'll be putting back on the boxers next time. :thumbup:

Less sore today. Would have probably been feeling even better if I didn't get suckered into pizza and beer during an impromptu playoff fantasy football draft. :wall:

Oh well, 'Cardio Recovery' went pretty well. Can't get nearly as deep into the stretches or hold them as long, but that should come with time. Only concern at this point is a sore right calf.

For the record, when Shaun T is going around pointing out everyone keeping their 'core tight' - it is depressing to feel your love handles pinching and constricting movement :kicksrock:
That's what it's all about. Keep at it!

Less sore today. Would have probably been feeling even better if I didn't get suckered into pizza and beer during an impromptu playoff fantasy football draft. :wall: Oh well, 'Cardio Recovery' went pretty well. Can't get nearly as deep into the stretches or hold them as long, but that should come with time. Only concern at this point is a sore right calf.For the record, when Shaun T is going around pointing out everyone keeping their 'core tight' - it is depressing to feel your love handles pinching and constricting movement :kicksrock:
Im with you. Did Recovery yesterday. I remember the first time I did it, I couldnt hold the strecthes long at all. By next week, you will see a difference already. Im actually on the same cycle as you so Cardio today. I remember that one being funETA: Im not sore anymore and I am feeling good

Less sore today. Would have probably been feeling even better if I didn't get suckered into pizza and beer during an impromptu playoff fantasy football draft. :wall: Oh well, 'Cardio Recovery' went pretty well. Can't get nearly as deep into the stretches or hold them as long, but that should come with time. Only concern at this point is a sore right calf.For the record, when Shaun T is going around pointing out everyone keeping their 'core tight' - it is depressing to feel your love handles pinching and constricting movement :kicksrock:
Im with you. Did Recovery yesterday. I remember the first time I did it, I couldnt hold the strecthes long at all. By next week, you will see a difference already. Im actually on the same cycle as you so Cardio today. I remember that one being funETA: Im not sore anymore and I am feeling good
Did pure cardio today. Took a fair amount of breaks. General soreness has decreased quite a bit. Overall feeling good about how things are going - now I just need to get the diet in check. Might invest in some protein shakes/powders for meal replacement/snacking. Dumb moment of the day - I was doing the exercise where you have to bend down, shoot your legs out to plank then bring them back in and jump up. Apparently I was quite tired, and didn't get my hand down properly and ended up bending my thumb back pretty far back. Quite painful, but I was able to finish the other exercises keeping the weight off it. :flex:Also, I did it early with no breakfast this morning. I think at least having a banana or something in your stomach is definitely advantageous as I wasn't feeling the best at the end.

Hit the bars last night, felt good to sweat everything out this afternoon.

Two biggest issues right now: shoulder strength in order to do plank exercises and weird calf pain during some of the moves.

Day 3: Cardio Power & Resistance.

Definitely wasn't feeling it today, have to hope this fairly crippling soreness will abate as I continue. Especially when during the workouts I really feel it in my calfs for some reason - just an annoying tightness. :shrug:

Besides having to take so many breaks I think it went okay. This one is definitely more focused on the explosive movements (and is thus tougher on the joints).

Probably the most frustrating thing is how hard the stupid stretching part is for me. My legs probably shake more during this than any other time and I end up having to modify them.

Hope everyone else is still sticking with it. :hifive:
Soreness will go away day 4/day 5 or so, so keep on pushin' through.Have done this for almost a year. Did two full cycles, then cut back to 5 times/wk. Almost 4 cycles total, taking a two week break of doing Core Cardio and Balance between cycles. Almost ready for phase 2 workouts again, but may wimp out due to heavy travel. Went from upper 170's to lower 160's and have maintained. Getting bored, so that combined with travel (and the shaky diet that goes along with it) could be the death knell for Insanity. But, I have been hitting the treadmill in the hotel gyms for 30 minutes/day, so better than nothing, right?
Why do you hate your joints? You will need them at some point.

Would love to try this again someday.

went through 1 cycle. By the end of it I had plantar fasciitis, a really sore right knee, and some issues with my left shoulder.

Your body really takes a beating with this program. I just started running instead but I do miss Cardio Power and Resistance

I did my fit test last night (saturday night fun, wow i suck). All those jumps and cardio moves are super foreign movements to me. I also don't count very good when jumping around my basement I turns out.

I have horrible cardio, this is going to be good.

Did the first workout plyo cardio. My fitness is terrible.

By the time they were doing the circuit with the pushups etc I was housed. At least they look tired too.

Definitely enjoyed my day off. After trying to buy a suit a couple days ago, however, I am again convinced I have to whip myself into shape.

Not sure if anyone is interested but this site is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale right now through the 15th on pretty much anything they carry. If anyone sees anything that stands out as a great deal definitely pass it along.

Back at it in the morning. Best of luck everyone.

I just started with this today. I've been running on the treadmill to try to get my cardio up to a decent level, but now I see that it wasnt nearly enough.

Should be interesting.

Just started this today... Should have did it in the morning but waited til I got home. Probably a bad idea. Eating and then only waiting like an hour or two before hitting up the fitness test was not a smart idea.

I'm a small guy at like 5'6 5'7 but not really in any cardio shape. Look small and am not overweight but I'm skinny fat and just want to get into cardio shape and more toned. Hopefully I can keep with this as the main draw for this over P90x is that it is just a lot easier to find time to do a 30-40 routine than a 1hr+ workout requiring extra weights and stuff. I'll add in some pull ups and curls after the workouts to work out the "glamour" muscles.

Just started this today... Should have did it in the morning but waited til I got home. Probably a bad idea. Eating and then only waiting like an hour or two before hitting up the fitness test was not a smart idea. I'm a small guy at like 5'6 5'7 but not really in any cardio shape. Look small and am not overweight but I'm skinny fat and just want to get into cardio shape and more toned. Hopefully I can keep with this as the main draw for this over P90x is that it is just a lot easier to find time to do a 30-40 routine than a 1hr+ workout requiring extra weights and stuff. I'll add in some pull ups and curls after the workouts to work out the "glamour" muscles.
Always done three days of Insanity and three days a weight lifting each week. I was already in fairly good shape, but it's worked out great for me.

Second time through pure cardio. My quads, hamstrings, and calfs were all burning. Feel really good now though. Still working on being able to get deeper into the stretches / hold them longer. For example, when doing the hip flexor stretches my front quad literally starts shaking half way through and I need to straighten it out before it collapses. :shrug: Just need to get stronger.

Just started this today... Should have did it in the morning but waited til I got home. Probably a bad idea. Eating and then only waiting like an hour or two before hitting up the fitness test was not a smart idea. I'm a small guy at like 5'6 5'7 but not really in any cardio shape. Look small and am not overweight but I'm skinny fat and just want to get into cardio shape and more toned. Hopefully I can keep with this as the main draw for this over P90x is that it is just a lot easier to find time to do a 30-40 routine than a 1hr+ workout requiring extra weights and stuff. I'll add in some pull ups and curls after the workouts to work out the "glamour" muscles.
Always done three days of Insanity and three days a weight lifting each week. I was already in fairly good shape, but it's worked out great for me.
What 3 days of Insanity do you utilize?...and are you still taking NOEXPLODE!!!!! ;)

'5Rings said:
What 3 days of Insanity do you utilize?...and are you still taking NOEXPLODE!!!!! ;)
I can't answer for others, but personally, I rotate the cardio days. Between Insanity, P90X, and Asylum I have plenty of cardio workouts to choose from. I do run into some issues from time to time because each Insanity workout has at least some pushups. So sometimes for my weight lifting day I'll do p90x Chest and Back...but the next day I'll throw in an Insanity disk which will require pushups. That gets tough.

Waited until later to do the workout today. Really pushed it to get through the warm-up without any breaks.

Feel like I did well, really struggled during the Level 1 Drills - Ski Ab - In and Out Ab sequence. Need to continue working on the shoulder strength.

Users who are viewing this thread