What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Jays Thread*** Lots of optimism, again. (3 Viewers)

Drunk Jays Fans reporting lineup of:

Yunel Escobar

Kelly Johnson

Brett Lawrie

Jose Bautista

Adam Lind

Edwin Encarnacion

Eric Thames

Colby Rasmus

J.P. Arencibia

With Zambrano, Alvarez, Jonathan Sanchez, Hughes, Collmenter and Harang available on the free agent wire which one should I get? (I will be dropping Fowler who is my #6 batter off the bench.)

Another way to put this is I have not seen Alvarez pitch yet. Should I take a chance on him?

With Zambrano, Alvarez, Jonathan Sanchez, Hughes, Collmenter and Harang available on the free agent wire which one should I get? (I will be dropping Fowler who is my #6 batter off the bench.)Another way to put this is I have not seen Alvarez pitch yet. Should I take a chance on him?
I like Alvarez a lot, but I think he'll be considerably better in real life than in fantasy. He should be a good pickup for a fantasy staff that has a lot of strikeout guys, as I expect Alvarez to be above average in WHIP and ERA; but he'll most likely be below average in strikeouts, and obviously wins will be a crapshoot.

With Zambrano, Alvarez, Jonathan Sanchez, Hughes, Collmenter and Harang available on the free agent wire which one should I get? (I will be dropping Fowler who is my #6 batter off the bench.)Another way to put this is I have not seen Alvarez pitch yet. Should I take a chance on him?
I like Alvarez a lot, but I think he'll be considerably better in real life than in fantasy. He should be a good pickup for a fantasy staff that has a lot of strikeout guys, as I expect Alvarez to be above average in WHIP and ERA; but he'll most likely be below average in strikeouts, and obviously wins will be a crapshoot.
If Marlins Park plays as big as Lance Berkman thinks, Zambrano could be a better choice for streaming home starts. I'm cautiously optimistic about Alvarez though.

Thank guys. I added Alvarez. Now I have all my pitcher slots full. Lost three pitchers to the DL this week. I know Alvarez did not have great K numbers in the minors or with Toronto. Maybe he will be a quality finesse pitcher.

LOVE that the Jays went back to the old school letters/numbers on the jerseys. So sweet.

I keep expecting Garth Iorg to pinch hit. Wish they wore the light blues all the time though.

I don't see where Ben Francisco ever plays on this team. Rajai Davis is the guy they go to first as a pinch hitter against LHP, is one of the best pinch runners in the league and is better defensively than Francisco. Thames will play against every RHP (and so would Snider if they end up trading places).

Two games, two extra innings victories :thumbup: Bullpen has been fantastic in both games; Santos got kinda unlucky today with Asdrubal talking a chest high fastball outta the park.

Yeah, that wasn't a bad pitch Cabrera hit out, can't blame Santos much.

Lawrie was great today, the big single to drive in 2 runs and break up the no hitter, then scoring from 1st on Davis hit that wasn't really that deep and finally the big grab in the bottom of the 12th to keep the lead at 3.

Rajai Davis had a good game as well, even in his first AB where he got out, he hit it hard. Then the big hit in extra innings, stealing and scoring, he can make a lot happen, and I think pretty soon will be in a full platoon with Thames.

I tried to give it up and be unbiased for a while, but I have to admit I rage a little every time Thames chases a ball around the outfield and then I look at Travis Snider's stats in Vegas. I know, hasn't done it consistently at MLB level, had many chances, blah blah blah, but neither Snider or Thames will hit MLB lefties, Thames may hit for better average, Snider better power, every other category though (defence, speed, base running, arm) favours Snider.

Current Vegas slash line .419/.463/.830/1.293

2 series victories to start the year, and the bats haven't even come close to coming alive yet!
Update: Bats coming alive!Bautista, Lawrie, Lind all hit HR's tonight.I'm not ready to declare Drabek as arrived yet but he's had two impressive starts and he gets Baltimore and KC for his next two, hopefully he can keep things going and get the confidence up. With Alvarez picking up where he left off last season and Romero and Morrow pitching as expected, the top 4 of the rotation look real solid.The Jays used Joel Carreno first time round in the 5th spot and skipped it next time through, they need a 5th starter for Saturday and it could be Carreno, Drew Hutchinson or Jesse Chavez.Arencibia is the exact opposite of what he was supposed to be right now. All of a sudden he's good defensively and can't hit to save his life (2 for 28 on the season).Has there been a game this year where Thames hasn't been pulled for either a pinch hitter of defensive replacement?Rasmus has had some bad luck on a lot of hard hit balls, he's been driving it since game one and his numbers will come around. It sure is nice having him in CF and not last season's Davis/Patterson/Nix gongshow.Santos has looked good his last couple appearances as well, nothing to worry about there.

I thought that Drabek looked pretty sketch in his first start, even though he was able to limit the damage, but last start he really did look great. His play last year was so bad I completely wrote him off for providing any value to the Jays this year, but hopefully I'll continue to be wrong for the rest of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on Drabek pitching 6+ IP's most games? Considering picking him up in a league that has QS as a stat, so I don't want him burning up my IP limit if he isn't going to at least get 6 IP's most nights. I can deal with the WHIP though.

Thoughts on Drabek pitching 6+ IP's most games? Considering picking him up in a league that has QS as a stat, so I don't want him burning up my IP limit if he isn't going to at least get 6 IP's most nights. I can deal with the WHIP though.
All depends if he reverts back to his controls problems. His stuff is good enough that if his BB% stays in the 8-10% range I don't see why not. Too small of sample so far this year but he has looked very good.

Rasmus has had some bad luck on a lot of hard hit balls, he's been driving it since game one and his numbers will come around. It sure is nice having him in CF and not last season's Davis/Patterson/Nix gongshow.
Seriously, I really love Colby Rasmus. 2 Hr night tonight, but like I said before he's been hitting the ball hard all year and has such effortless power and plays a great CF. .275 avg and .831 OPS on the year now.Also, Travis Snider AAA update: .458 AVG; 1.343 OPS; 21 RBI in 17 games, 9 BB; 7 SO. Thames though with his .286 Slugging percentage is the man in LF...

Rasmus has had some bad luck on a lot of hard hit balls, he's been driving it since game one and his numbers will come around. It sure is nice having him in CF and not last season's Davis/Patterson/Nix gongshow.
Seriously, I really love Colby Rasmus. 2 Hr night tonight, but like I said before he's been hitting the ball hard all year and has such effortless power and plays a great CF. .275 avg and .831 OPS on the year now.Also, Travis Snider AAA update: .458 AVG; 1.343 OPS; 21 RBI in 17 games, 9 BB; 7 SO. Thames though with his .286 Slugging percentage is the man in LF...
Big Rasmus fan. Looks like an absolute steal for AA. Patience. I'd bet Snider is up at the end of May at the latest, earlier if there is an injury.The bottom of the lineup is unreal. Any better 7-8 hitters in the league than Lawrie and Rasmus?

Big Rasmus fan. Looks like an absolute steal for AA. Patience. I'd bet Snider is up at the end of May at the latest, earlier if there is an injury.The bottom of the lineup is unreal. Any better 7-8 hitters in the league than Lawrie and Rasmus?
Texas, New York, and Detroit.

Texas, New York, and Detroit.
Murphy and Napoli? :no:Peralta and ??? :no:Ibanez and Martin :no:

The whole exercise is tricky because when the Tigers get a lefty Raburn slides in there and the whole lineup is lethal. Ibanez gets righties and Adruw gets lefties in New York. Murphy sits vs. lefties and Moreland does too so the lineup is much weaker vs. lefties but potent vs. righties. I'll keep it as simple as possible though

Avila (270/360/455) and Peralta (275/340/450)

Napoli (265/360/520) and Murphy (280/340/450)

Colby (250/320/425) and Lawrie (ZIPS projection - 275/330/485)

I'd rather have the Texas and Detroit combos because the guys that hit in front of them are better. If Colby and Lawrie hit they'll slide up and less effective bats will slide down.

'MAC_32 said:
The whole exercise is tricky because when the Tigers get a lefty Raburn slides in there and the whole lineup is lethal. Ibanez gets righties and Adruw gets lefties in New York. Murphy sits vs. lefties and Moreland does too so the lineup is much weaker vs. lefties but potent vs. righties. I'll keep it as simple as possible though

Avila (270/360/455) and Peralta (275/340/450)

Napoli (265/360/520) and Murphy (280/340/450)

Colby (250/320/425) and Lawrie (ZIPS projection - 275/330/485)

I'd rather have the Texas and Detroit combos because the guys that hit in front of them are better. If Colby and Lawrie hit they'll slide up and less effective bats will slide down.
Fair enough. Maybe I'm just a little too over joyed seeing competent guys there instead of bums that have been holding those spots the last few years decades.

The Jays have used a lot of different lineups to start the year, but in my opinion, unless Vizquel happens to be in the lineup, the LF and C should be 8-9 every single night. One thing that can hurt the Jays is the fact that Rasmus, Arencibia, Lind & Thames are all pretty awful against left handed pitchers. Putting in Rajai Davis, Ben Francisco, Jeff Mathis and Omar Vizquel in their places doesn't make the lineup much better (though Rajai should start every single game against a left handed starter).

2 years too late but Adam Lind has finally been taken out of the cleanup spot. It will be Edwin Encarnacion going forward. Probably just a matter of time before Lawrie jumps ahead of Lind as well.

Thames defense continues to be terrible. Canseco'd one over the fence last night for Wieters. At least he hit one out himself as well.

Typical Jays... cruise through KC and start looking like a team that is going to go on a nice win streak then #### the bed vs lowly Orioles.

I think the lowly Orioles are first in the AL East right now. Jays really need the bats to come alive, if only there was someone they could bring up to try to spark the offense

'Northern Voice said:
I think the lowly Orioles are first in the AL East right now. Jays really need the bats to come alive, if only there was someone they could bring up to try to spark the offense
Come on now, we both know the Orioles will end up last in the division. And I agree, bringing up Chris Woodward or Mike McCoy could be the answer to the offensive woes.

Thames seems to be silencing some critics lately. Still a mess in the field but a .311/.368/.459 line is looking pretty good (and 2nd best on the team). Walk rate is slightly up from last year and strikeout rate is down.

How much longer can this Adam Lind charade go on for? He is an embarrassment. Time to move him for a prospect (or some magic beans) or at least put him in the 8/9 spot.

Thames has 6 infield singles. His numbers look okay but he's hit about 5 balls hard all year, granted 3 of them were in the last week. He'll stay up for most of the season and Snider will likely end up starting somewhere else in 2013 but Thames is still below replacement level for the season according to Fangraphs.

E5 is hitting like Bautista of the last 2 years and Bautista is hitting like Aaron Hill of the last two seasons (pop-ups everywhere). Lawrie still hasn't gotten going despite his current hit streak (he too has had a ton of infield singles, but with his speed I think he always will, unlike Thames).

You have to be happy with how the young pitchers have fared so well this season.

Drabek gets a big test tonight to see if he really has calmed himself down, facing the best offense in baseball (sans Hamilton tonight), will be interesting to see if he gets rattled.

How much longer can this Adam Lind charade go on for? He is an embarrassment. Time to move him for a prospect (or some magic beans) or at least put him in the 8/9 spot.
He's so ####### awful. It's time for him to go away. EE to 1st, Thames to DH.9 of 13 Jays batters have a batting average under .235 (Mathis, Edwin, Thames and Lawrie being the exceptions).Drabek looked good once again.It's a miracle this team is above .500, good thing they had an incredibly easy schedule to start the season.

He's so ####### awful. It's time for him to go away. EE to 1st, Thames to DH.9 of 13 Jays batters have a batting average under .235 (Mathis, Edwin, Thames and Lawrie being the exceptions).Drabek looked good once again.It's a miracle this team is above .500, good thing they had an incredibly easy schedule to start the season.
While EE to 1st would be better than Lind, I'd much rather see him stay as the DH. His splits are pretty clear that he fares far better when the DH. I'd rather see Snider in RF and Bautista at 1st.

While EE to 1st would be better than Lind, I'd much rather see him stay as the DH. His splits are pretty clear that he fares far better when the DH. I'd rather see Snider in RF and Bautista at 1st.
Maybe they can teach Thames 1B? I agree EE is better as DH but Thames is going to cost the team games defensively in LF. Then again, not sure Thames' bat is good enough to justify him at 1B or DH ( or LF for that matter).

Users who are viewing this thread