What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Jays Thread*** Lots of optimism, again. (4 Viewers)

Not to bring the discussion up again but he traded Zach Stewart and a pile of used tampons for Colby Rasmus, who is on pace for a 30 HR season with above average CF defence.
Too bad those tampons helped the Cards win a World Series.
You know the old saying: One mans used tampons is another mans gold :unsure:
One could argue that the Cards traded one huge tampon for four smaller ones. And you can even use your saying for the huge tampon you guys got. :shrug:

'Brady Marino said:
Not to bring the discussion up again but he traded Zach Stewart and a pile of used tampons for Colby Rasmus, who is on pace for a 30 HR season with above average CF defence.
Good luck with that one. He's made up his mind on that issue. ;)

'Brady Marino said:
He's simply suggesting that you could have got better pieces for Rasmus and still gone on to win the World Series. To that effect I think he's right. You guys are probably right to also say we won the World Series so not getting the better pieces doesn't really matter.

'Brady Marino said:
He's simply suggesting that you could have got better pieces for Rasmus and still gone on to win the World Series. To that effect I think he's right. You guys are probably right to also say we won the World Series so not getting the better pieces doesn't really matter.
Not every trade has a winner and a loser. Some times both teams benefit :shrug:

'Brady Marino said:
Not every trade has a winner and a loser. Some times both teams benefit :shrug:
Agreed, and I think that's the case here. The Cardinals might have been able to benefit even more than they did, but the deal aided in them winning a World Series, so they can't really complain about how it worked out for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toronto signed their draft picks and came within $340 of losing a draft pick. The threshold was 5% over their draft pool allotment; the Blue Jays went over by 4.996%.

So what kind of package are the Jays going to have to give up to get some of the names floating around?

Upton?

Wandy?

Dempster?

Garza?

Liriano?

So what kind of package are the Jays going to have to give up to get some of the names floating around?

Upton?

Wandy?

Dempster?

Garza?

Liriano?
Even keeping D'Arnaud they have plenty to trade for all of those except Upton
I don't think Anthopolous trades for a rental. I see the most likely as Wandy, like I said. My first choice would be Garza, he's signed through 2013 and he's shown he can pitch in the AL East. He lets the Jays make a push this year when Morrow comes back but even more he gives the Jays a starting rotation of Morrow/Garza/Romero going into the offseason which may help lure one of the other FA starters, as they'll look more legit. A long post on DJF just went up on this, here's some of it.
when it comes to the young pitching that he’ll surely need to part with in order to upgrade his Major League roster for the coming years, Anthopoulos has all sorts more options on the horizon than just the big arms at Lansing– Sanchez, Syndergaard and Nicolino. There are potential high-end replacements for that trio in Dan Norris and Matt Smoral. Norris is teammates at Bluefield with other intriguing teenage arms, Kevin Comer, Joe Musgrove and 17-year-old Roberto Osuna. There are also teenagers Tyler Gonzales and Adonys Cardona in the Gulf Coast League, and Marcus Stroman, who may still end up a starter, in short season A-ball in Vancouver, for now. Asher Wojciechowski and Sean Nolin provide more intrigue in Dunedin, as does Anthony Descalfani in Lansing, and there’s also potential Major League viability on the Fisher Cats in the recently-promoted John Stilson, as well as– to a lesser extent still– the struggling Deck McGuire and Chad Jenkins.

clearly these sorts of big acquisitions can be made without completely decimating a farm system. Especially one as deep as the Jays possess, and especially so if some of the better-regarded position players are on the table, as they should be for Anthopoulos, given their status on the depth chart in many instances, and the premium teams often place on receiving MLB-ready assets in trade.

The club could find configurations to accommodate them, but the spectacular play of Colby Rasmus, the contract of Yunel Escobar, and the ascendancy of Travis d’Arnaud will force Anthony Gose, Adeiny Hechavarria, and JP Arencibia in to unideal positions, to be miscast as backups, or out of the organization. Sure, they could gamble and deal the better-established (or, in d’Arnaud’s case, better-regarded) players in a sell-high gamble, but either way, these situations make for some seriously attractive candidates to be dealt, I think.

Toss in a group of relievers, mid-level pitching prospects and back-of-roster guys like Rajai Davis, Yan Gomes, David Cooper and Eric Thames to lubricate things, and you start to see all kinds of possibilities.

Of course, just about every team still within a sniff of the extra Wild Card spot wants to acquire pitching, so it’s not like it isn’t going to cost a painful price for Anthopoulos to improve his club, but few have the ammunition he does to get a deal done, and few could make a trade so transformative to his club.

Pieces are in place to build around. Bautista, Encarncacion, Lawrie and Rasmus form the core of the lineup, with Escobar and d’Arnaud as, at worst, nice auxiliary pieces. Morrow and Romero anchor the pitching staff, and with the addition of someone like Matt Garza right now, not only do the Jays give themselves that much more of a shot to hang around in the 2012 playoff race, and that much more of a shot to be competitive next year, but they become a much more appealing destination for one of the many free agent pitchers who are slated to hit the market over the winter– including Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke, Ryan Dempster, Edwin Jackson, Hiroki Kuroda, Colby Lewis, Brandon McCarthy, Jake Peavy and Anibal Sanchez.

If he can make a deal without dealing any of those core players, without breaking up the trio at Lansing, and without touching Norris, or (obviously) the just-drafted Smoral and Stroman, Anthopoulos very nearly has to do it. That’s a tall order of course, but even if he has to touch one of his elite young arms, the time has come. The system is deep enough to absorb the hit, and the benefit to the Major League roster over the next two seasons far outweighs the loss of one long-term lottery ticket

Down goes Bautista... hopefully not for too long. MRI tomorrow.

Gose got pulled mid-game tonight in Vegas so it sounds like he is getting the call (according to Wilner).

I'm starting to wonder if Snider banged AA's mom or something.

Down goes Bautista... hopefully not for too long. MRI tomorrow.Gose got pulled mid-game tonight in Vegas so it sounds like he is getting the call (according to Wilner). I'm starting to wonder if Snider banged AA's mom or something.
When Snider was sent down in Spring, it was his last remaining option. You'd think the club would want to at least see what he's got at the MLB level.

Plus, Anthopolous said earlier this week that Gose would likely spend all of 2012 and 2013 in the minors.

Something doesn't add up.

Snider (53GP) .322/.415./.548, 41K's, 34 BB, .761 OPS vs. lefties (1.019 vs. RHP)

Gose (92GP) .292/.375/.432, 93 K's, 47 BB, .517 OPS vs. lefties (.880 vs. RHP)

Snider is hitting for more power (we're talking about replacing Bautista here), walking more, striking out less and doesn't have terrible splits. I'd rather see Thames up than Gose right now, there's been no indication that Gose can hit at the MLB level.

Plus, Anthopolous said earlier this week that Gose would likely spend all of 2012 and 2013 in the minors.Something doesn't add up.Snider (53GP) .322/.415./.548, 41K's, 34 BB, .761 OPS vs. lefties (1.019 vs. RHP)Gose (92GP) .292/.375/.432, 93 K's, 47 BB, .517 OPS vs. lefties (.880 vs. RHP)Snider is hitting for more power (we're talking about replacing Bautista here), walking more, striking out less and doesn't have terrible splits. I'd rather see Thames up than Gose right now, there's been no indication that Gose can hit at the MLB level.
My guess is that a trade is in the works involving Snider, and they don't want to bring him up and mess with that final option.

Plus, Anthopolous said earlier this week that Gose would likely spend all of 2012 and 2013 in the minors.Something doesn't add up.Snider (53GP) .322/.415./.548, 41K's, 34 BB, .761 OPS vs. lefties (1.019 vs. RHP)Gose (92GP) .292/.375/.432, 93 K's, 47 BB, .517 OPS vs. lefties (.880 vs. RHP)Snider is hitting for more power (we're talking about replacing Bautista here), walking more, striking out less and doesn't have terrible splits. I'd rather see Thames up than Gose right now, there's been no indication that Gose can hit at the MLB level.
My guess is that a trade is in the works involving Snider, and they don't want to bring him up and mess with that final option.
It's possible. People have also speculated about a trade involving Gose and giving him a quick showcase.In any case, I think Snider should be up, Rajai Davis has a .687OPS and awful defense (and a .458 OPS in July). Snider has a career .730 OPS and better defense than Rajai, so he really should have been up a while ago...ETA - Snider`s final option was used when he was sent down at the start of the year, so he has to be on the team next year anyway if they want to keep him, that shouldn`t affect this season, they option has been used.

It's possible. People have also speculated about a trade involving Gose and giving him a quick showcase.In any case, I think Snider should be up, Rajai Davis has a .687OPS and awful defense (and a .458 OPS in July). Snider has a career .730 OPS and better defense than Rajai, so he really should have been up a while ago...ETA - Snider`s final option was used when he was sent down at the start of the year, so he has to be on the team next year anyway if they want to keep him, that shouldn`t affect this season, they option has been used.
Gotcha, I misunderstood and thought they still had the final option remaining.

'RnR said:
'Northern Voice said:
'RnR said:
'Northern Voice said:
Gotcha, I misunderstood and thought they still had the final option remaining.
The fact that Snider is out of options after this year should be incentive to bring him up rather than keep him down. If he's still a Blue Jay in Spring, they'll have to keep him up or lose him. They'd be better off seeing whether he can hit Major League pitching over the next few months rather than have to base their decision on a small spring sample.Gose also wasn't on the 40 man roster, so they'll burn the first one of his options if they send him down when Bautista returns.

'Northern Voice said:
'RnR said:
'Northern Voice said:
Then what do you do with Snider once Bautista is back healthy? Can't send Snider back down (can they?).

Gose also wasn't on the 40 man roster, so they'll burn the first one of his options if they send him down when Bautista returns.
Gose being brought up so young without proving he can hit at lower levels is shades of 2008 Travis Snider (though Snider hit AAA pitching better than Gose, even back then).

'Northern Voice said:
'RnR said:
'Northern Voice said:
They can send Snider back down, 1 option per year, not every time recalled/demoted.Then what do you do with Snider once Bautista is back healthy? Can't send Snider back down (can they?).
Send a reliever down. 3 man bench is crazy to start with. Or they could DFA Ben Francisco.

'Northern Voice said:
'RnR said:
'Northern Voice said:
They can send Snider back down, 1 option per year, not every time recalled/demoted.Then what do you do with Snider once Bautista is back healthy? Can't send Snider back down (can they?).
Send a reliever down. 3 man bench is crazy to start with. Or they could DFA Ben Francisco.
Yeah, as long as they're okay with Snider being the full-time left fielder, it would work (which I'm completely okay with)I'm guessing you read this on DJF already but some other reasons:
- Snider has just one extra-base hit and a .781 OPS over his last 10 games, compared to Gose’s three and .927.- Gose’s OPS for May (.984) and July (.916) are both higher than Snider’s best month since April (the .914 he posted in June), though Snider does have the excuse that he was injured for a long stretch earlier in the season.- Alex Anthopoulos has stated that he wants Travis Snider to be up for good the next time that he gets the call, and as a temporary fill-in for Bautista, that’s not the assignment here.- To that exact point, Anthopoulos also recently said, in comments on Jeff Blair’s show, as quoted by Mike Cormack of Sportsnet, that “Travis has been up and down. He had a big home run two nights ago, but he’s been inconsistent and really hasn’t gotten hot. You’d like to get these guys [snider and Eric Thames] up here when they are hot. If we would make a move with one of those guys the hope would be they are up here to stay.”

'Northern Voice said:
'RnR said:
'Northern Voice said:
Options are by years, not individual transactions. The option was used once Toronto optioned Snider in Spring Training. They can yo-yo him all they want in 2012.By bringing Gose simultaneously to the 40 and 25 man rosters, they aren't using an option. But I believe they burn one of his three if he's demoted before Sept 1st.

Blue Jays Should Let Snider Go

The Toronto Blue Jays have royally messed it up beyond all salvation with Travis Snider, and it's time to stop the charade. They should really just let him go.

That isn't to say "the Jays should use him as an asset and attempt to make a deal to get something reasonable in return." No. They shouldn't even feel as though they have that opportunity. They've morally lost all purchase over the right to determine the future of his career.

Yes, your blogging pal is arguing out of spite to make the team weaker. He's probably lost his mind.

But seriously, just let him go. Let him walk away, and go find another organization, and get the hell away from this one. The relationship that the Blue Jays' front office has with this particular player is a step short of abusive and a step beyond insulting.

At every opportunity throughout his professional career, the Blue Jays have made the wrong choices when dealing with the 14th pick in the 2006 draft. Move him through several levels in one year? Sure. You know they did that.

Call him up to the majors at the age of 20 because of a lack of depth in even marginally passable talent? Oh yeah, for sure. They were all over that gambit.

Park him on the end of the bench to let him rot and mess up his head when he should have either been playing every day or developing his game in the minors? Thank you very much, Saint Cito.

Give him a few hundred at bats here or there, then send him back for more Pacific Coast League batting practice? They liked this joke so much, they kept repeating it.

Send him back for another cleansing season in the desert while choosing a lesser player ahead of him in a fictional left field battle? A player who could barely hang for a month and change in his "starting left field" role? Why, of course they did.

And now, when the Blue Jays are about to go into several weeks (and who knows how much longer) without the centrepiece of their offence, the brain trust chooses to promote a 21-year-old kid ahead of him. A kid who is probably getting his first shot at The Bigs at least a season too soon, but hey...what could go wrong?

Is the Anthony Gose promotion analogous to Snider's back in 2008? If you're suggesting that the general manager of the day might have demonstrated a level of overanxious zeal in moving the prospect that he acquired to the front of the line when there was an opening for an extra outfielder in a lost season so as to demonstrate that he knows what he's doing and his selection of players is better than the collection of duds left around by his predecessor, then...sorry, what was the question again?

Over the past two years, either Alex Anthopoulos or John Farrell or some combination thereof have decided that Rajai Davis, Eric Thames, Ben Francisco, Corey Patterson, Juan Rivera, Dewayne Wise, Adam Loewen and Mike McCoy were all better options than Travis Snider. And now, they've moved Anthony Gose ahead of him, presumably because Morgan Ensberg isn't picking up his phone today.

Oh, sure, they'll say how much they like Snider. They'll roll out hoary Hallmark Card platitudes about what a great player and great person he is. But when it comes right down to it, this team can always find a reason or rationale for keeping Travis Snider away, and out of their sight.

What has he done to deserve this? He allegedly failed as a major leaguer, posting a .730 OPS in 232 games, despite the fact that he was probably too young to be playing at the level. He posted a .767 OPS as a 22-year-old in 82 games in 2010, but that wasn't good enough to save his roster spot. If you tally up his last two seasons, he trudged along for a .709 OPS in 521 plate appearances. You know what Rajai Davis has posted since he's been in Toronto? A .647 OPS in 550 plate appearances.

Does that make any sense at all to you?

Even if Snider occasionally shows signs of success in Las Vegas -- .959 OPS in 787 plate appearances -- it's dismissed by virtue of the fact that it's Vegas. Effectively, the Blue Jays have set up a scenario where Snider can't possibly succeed. All he can do is toil and wait. And wait. And wait.

Maybe people will be too thrilled by the appearance of the new guy to cast a thought towards Travis Snider in the next few days. Maybe this is Gose's time, and Jays fans should feel some excitement at seeing the future of the franchise today. That's one way of looking at it.

There's also a pretty bright future that's worth considering for the player this blog once named the Great Big Giant Pasty White Hope. It's clear that it won't be as a Blue Jay.

So let him go.

Snider is still just 24. He's younger than Yonder Alonso, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Brian Dozier and Steve Lombardozzi. If Snider lands in a good situation, gets hot at the right time and stays healthy, he has plenty of time left to have a career. Or not :shrug:

Snider was 4/5 with 2 HR, 2B, and 6 RBI last night.

He homered in his first at bat tonight... so he'll likely be demoted to New Hampshire shortly.

Snider was 4/5 with 2 HR, 2B, and 6 RBI last night.He homered in his first at bat tonight... so he'll likely be demoted to New Hampshire shortly.
Pulled from the lineup after his first AB when his spot came up in the same inning, so call up, trade or injured on HR swing/trot

10 Player Trade!

Jays get Happ, Lyon and Carpenter, give up Coredero, Francisco, Wojciecowski, CPerez, Musgrove, Rollins, PTBNL

SNIDER RECALLED

Long term the highest upside player the Jays gave up was Carlos Perez, because he's a catcher and the Jays have d'Arnaud, Arencibia, Jiminez and Gomes, he wasn't likely going to find a spot in Toronto.

Wojciechowski was viewed by many as a reliever long term. Musgrove was a recent sandwich pick.

None of these prospects were top 20 in the Jays deep system but could develop. Happ fills a need in an awful staff that needs anyone who can go 6 innings, apparently Carpenter is seen as a potential late inning guy? Lyon is Lyon.

Not sure how this gets Snider up, as only Cordero and Francisco were up with the Jays and presumably Happ and Lyon join the team right away, but he has been recalled for tonight, maybe another move still to come?

Thought Wojo was regarded well too? Not like the top pitching prospects but the Jays have so many of them he gets kind of buried.

I have to think the PTBNL can't be anything special. Happ and a decent MR with upside (I'm considering Lyon for Coco as a wash) shouldn't net too much in return.

Wojo was highly thought of but he's repeating a level this year and Kevin Goldstein tweeted this week that he looks like he'll be a non-closing reliever.

Wojo was highly thought of but he's repeating a level this year and Kevin Goldstein tweeted this week that he looks like he'll be a non-closing reliever.
Gotcha, what about Musgrove? New to the minors so tough to get a read just looking at his numbers.

Gotcha, what about Musgrove? New to the minors so tough to get a read just looking at his numbers.
He was a sandwich pick, like you say, it's hard to say because he's still pretty new. I think all 3 of Musgrove, Woj and Perez are decent prospects, the Jays have so much depth, that guys who may be in the 20-30 range for Jays prospects could be close to top 10 on other teams ( and Woj was in the Jays top 10 on BA at one point)

Fans loved Perez 2 years ago and liked him as a high upside future starter but I think he's had a knee and shoulder surgery since, plus the Jays added d'Arnaud in the meantime.

Happ will start in the bullpen.

Snider and Gose will start in the corners. Rajai 4th OF. One of Snider/Gose back to minors when Bautista returns.

Happ will start in the bullpen.Snider and Gose will start in the corners. Rajai 4th OF. One of Snider/Gose back to minors when Bautista returns.
Who its the pickup? Gose or Snider?
Different players so if you need power it's Snider - if you need some SB it's Gose ......BUT the question is which one will keep playing as the other if not sent down will not be starting when Bautista is back. I think the pick is Snider - saw a quote that said he would be playing every day on LF or RF (until his play makes a decision for them)

Happ will start in the bullpen.

Snider and Gose will start in the corners. Rajai 4th OF. One of Snider/Gose back to minors when Bautista returns.
:sadbanana: Any word on how much PT he'll lose? I have til Sunday to drop him and find a replacement in my weekly league, the pickings are VERY slim. Giancarlo can't come back soon enough, guess this serves me right for drafting Bourjos.

Rajai should play against every LHP and pitch hit for Gose or Snider vs. LHP. He'll pinch run a lot. He really isn't a good hitter vs. RHP and shouldn't have been playing every day.

Users who are viewing this thread