What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

Redding

Footballguy
The revolution begins today. Review to follow.

Post your reviews, tips, tricks, favorite apps, and the like in here.

Can't wait to hear from all the Fanboys on how much they overpaid for the latest overhyped Apple device. Do they need it? Probably not, but Steve Jobs told them they did so they have to get it.

And besides, isn't it just an extra large IPhone?

Can't wait to hear from all the Fanboys on how much they overpaid for the latest overhyped Apple device. Do they need it? Probably not, but Steve Jobs told them they did so they have to get it.And besides, isn't it just an extra large IPhone?
You managed to cram almost every anti-iPad cliché into one brief post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to hear from all the Fanboys on how much they overpaid for the latest overhyped Apple device. Do they need it? Probably not, but Steve Jobs told them they did so they have to get it.And besides, isn't it just an extra large IPhone?
Sometimes I amaze even myself. :shrug:I have a brother I have to listen to every day about how great Apple is and how everything else sucks, so clearly I'm biased against it because I'm tired of constantly hearing it. However, I actually DO believe Apple makes great products (for the most part) but my beef with them is that they are WAY overpriced. I've been resisting getting an IPhone (even though I want one) because I refuse to pay the $300 or $400 dollars for the device and the extra $30 monthly charge for the data plan. Seems like highway robbery to me. But I really, really want an IPhone.

Sometimes I amaze even myself. :shrug:I have a brother I have to listen to every day about how great Apple is and how everything else sucks, so clearly I'm biased against it because I'm tired of constantly hearing it. However, I actually DO believe Apple makes great products (for the most part) but my beef with them is that they are WAY overpriced. I've been resisting getting an IPhone (even though I want one) because I refuse to pay the $300 or $400 dollars for the device and the extra $30 monthly charge for the data plan. Seems like highway robbery to me. But I really, really want an IPhone.
umm as of about 6 months ago when I got the 3gs iPhone the 3g was available for $100. 3gs was $200

Sometimes I amaze even myself. :thumbup:I have a brother I have to listen to every day about how great Apple is and how everything else sucks, so clearly I'm biased against it because I'm tired of constantly hearing it. However, I actually DO believe Apple makes great products (for the most part) but my beef with them is that they are WAY overpriced. I've been resisting getting an IPhone (even though I want one) because I refuse to pay the $300 or $400 dollars for the device and the extra $30 monthly charge for the data plan. Seems like highway robbery to me. But I really, really want an IPhone.
umm as of about 6 months ago when I got the 3gs iPhone the 3g was available for $100. 3gs was $200
I'm currently looking at my upgrade options for my current phone w/AT&T and it says $399 for the 3GS 16gb. Even if it was $200 I'd still have to swallow the extra $30 for the DataPlan - that's $15 more than the same plan with my Samsung Eternity.

Sometimes I amaze even myself. :thumbup:I have a brother I have to listen to every day about how great Apple is and how everything else sucks, so clearly I'm biased against it because I'm tired of constantly hearing it. However, I actually DO believe Apple makes great products (for the most part) but my beef with them is that they are WAY overpriced. I've been resisting getting an IPhone (even though I want one) because I refuse to pay the $300 or $400 dollars for the device and the extra $30 monthly charge for the data plan. Seems like highway robbery to me. But I really, really want an IPhone.
I'm currently looking at my upgrade options for my current phone w/AT&T and it says $399 for the 3GS 16gb. Even if it was $200 I'd still have to swallow the extra $30 for the DataPlan - that's $15 more than the same plan with my Samsung Eternity.
Do you want to be cool or not?

Guys, if possible, can we keep the bashing/bickering to a minimum in here? There are two other threads loaded with that -- odds are, if you have a critique as an outsider who has never used one, it's probably already been posted. Let's try and make this thread a little more productive.

Got my iPad this AM at around 915. Been playing with it for about an hour or so. Yes, this is amazing. More to come.

First impresions real quick.

-- screen is absolutely beautiful. Much better than expected.

-- faster than i thought.

-- battery lasting a long time so far (at 94% from a decent amount of usage.)

-- typing not bad and I'm sure I'll get better with it.

Perhaps the iphone is worth 15 dollars more a month compared to your eternity?

Posting from it now. Very rough first impressions:

It's smaller in my hands than i expected it would be.

The keyboard will definitely take some getting used to but works pretty well, especially in landscape format. But i can see the keyboard being a limitation for sure, at least at the outset.

Device has a nice feel to it. Display is beautiful.

More later...

As an aside, i was concerned it wouldn't be delivered today. My doorman informed me this morning that UPS doesn't do Ssturday delivery here. I was sort of furious that Apple would ship that way and suggest delivery today. Bunch of folks on the web were up in arms about it. Even though the UPS site wasn't saying it was out for delivery, and even though there is supposedly no Saturday delivery in my area, and after i sent Jobs himself an email gripe, wham, thing is delivered. In typical Apple fashion, they got it done.

Anyway enough Apple love. More review in a bit...

I have not had many issues worth the keyboard. It is much easier than the iPhone - at least in landscape mode. If you are used to the iPhone, this will be very easy to adjust to.

I don't see this as a workhorse, but banging out emails or posts is not hard. I have typed with it laying flat on a desk and with me laying down and the iPad propped up against my legs.

I can see fingerprints on the screen being annoying.

Book app worked well at least with winnie the pooh. Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang has an interesting sample chapter to download. Homer is probably all over it.

Dumb question but...how do you hold it? Lay it in your lap? Lay it flat on a table? Seems too big to hold in one hand and touch the screen with the other.

Dumb question but...how do you hold it? Lay it in your lap? Lay it flat on a table? Seems too big to hold in one hand and touch the screen with the other.
It's quite a bit smaller than a piece of paper. The looks are deceiving because you haven't seen one with a penny in the picture.

So, if you're not using WiFi but want to use the 3G service, you have to pay for that service with a monthly fee or it's included?

I have done both of the above when typing. I also propped it up on my legs when I was lying down. Fastest way to type is with it laying on a flat surface. About as fast as i can type on a regular keyboard. It corrects a lot of your typos but sometimes does get the correction wrong. This is similar to the iPhone so if you are used to that, this is easier to do. If you are new to the autocorrect feature it may slow you down until you get used to it

So, if you're not using WiFi but want to use the 3G service, you have to pay for that service with a monthly fee or it's included?
I did not get the 3G but my understanding is that the 3G is a separate fee. You do not need a contract and you can turn it on and off via the iPad.

I hear people yelling about no multitasking but not sure we're talking the same thing.

Can you listen to your music in itunes while you surf the web?

Can you write email while listening to Pandora.com?

J

I hear people yelling about no multitasking but not sure we're talking the same thing.Can you listen to your music in itunes while you surf the web?Can you write email while listening to Pandora.com?J
iTunes can run in the background. I don't think pandora will.

I hear people yelling about no multitasking but not sure we're talking the same thing.Can you listen to your music in itunes while you surf the web?Can you write email while listening to Pandora.com?J
You can't have pandora open in and playing in one tab of the browser and be working on Gmail in another tab?J
Hmm. Not sure about that. I doubt it though. I have the app and you definitely can not listen to the app and do anything else. I think iTunes is the only app that runs in the background.

You can't have pandora open in and playing in one tab of the browser and be working on Gmail in another tab?J
Hmm. Not sure about that. I doubt it though. I have the app and you definitely can not listen to the app and do anything else. I think iTunes is the only app that runs in the background.
Thanks. But I don't mean running pandora as an app. I mean running the browser with pandora open and playing in one tab while you have another tab open working on Gmail. It can do that can't it?J

Thanks. But I don't mean running pandora as an app. I mean running the browser with pandora open and playing in one tab while you have another tab open working on Gmail. It can do that can't it?J
I know what you are asking but it does not really have tabbed browsing. You can open multiple pages, but they are not really open at the same time.ETA This is the same as the iPhone. If you can do it on the iPhone you can do it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you are asking but it does not really have tabbed browsing. You can open multiple pages, but they are not really open at the same time.ETA This is the same as the iPhone. If you can do it on the iPhone you can do it here.
The browser doesn't have tabs?J

Technically, I don't think so. I can open multiple pages. But each page opens separately. There is a button I can push to see all open pages and move to a different page. But it is more like having multiple browsers open than "tabbed" pages

Technically, I don't think so. I can open multiple pages. But each page opens separately. There is a button I can push to see all open pages and move to a different page. But it is more like having multiple browsers open than "tabbed" pages
Thanks. And am I understanding right that safari is the only browser option? You cant use chrome or firefox?That by itself is a limiting but listening to pandora while I work is almost a necessity. Hmm.Thanks for the feedback.J

I don't see the printing issue as a big deal at this point. Very few people will have an iPad as their primary machine for a while. You e-mail the file from your iPad and print it from your other machine.

No, no tabs. It will open multiple pages at once, but they're not really all active at the same time.However, it IS possible for sites to setup streaming online so that you can stream music in the Safari browser, close the browser, and keep listening to the music while using another app. But the site has to basically setup the site specifically to cater to that. Not sure if Pandora has a version for the iPad that will do that or not. I know they don't for the iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread