Buffalo Sabres 12/1

Ottawa Senators 20/1

Los Angeles Kings 30/1

Boston Bruins 30/1

Montreal Canadiens 40/1

Philadelphia Flyers 50/1

Colorado Avalanche 50/1

Nashville Predators 50/1

Every time i have a winning bet, i've been throwing a few bucks on the hawks to win it all. Just have a gut feeling this is our yr. A little concerned about the goaltending (our weakest link) but the play of our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines should outweigh the deficiency.......at least thats what i'm hoping.

predictions,anyone?

1 Washington v 8 Montreal

2 New Jersey v 7 Philadelphia

3 Buffalo v 6 Boston

4 Pittsburgh v 5 Ottawa

Western Conference:

1 San Jose v 8 Colorado

2 Chicago v 7 Nashville

3 Vancouver v 6 LA Kings

4 Phoenix v 5 Detroit

Eastern Conference:

3 Buffalo v 6 Boston

4 Pittsburgh v 5 Ottawa

Western Conference:

1 San Jose v 8 Colorado

2 Chicago v 7 Nashville

3 Vancouver v 6 LA Kings

4 Phoenix v 5 Detroit

3 Buffalo v 6 Boston

4 Pittsburgh v 5 Ottawa

Western Conference:

1 San Jose v 8 Colorado

2 Chicago v 7 Nashville

3 Vancouver v 6 LA Kings

4 Phoenix v 5 Detroit

round1 predictions:

Sharks over Avs in 5

Hawks over Preds in 6

Kings over Couver in 7

Wings over Phoenix in 6

Caps over Habs in 4

Flyers over Devils in 7

Bruins over Sabres in 7

Pens over Sens in 5

Round2:

Sharks over Kings

Wings over Hawks

Caps over Flyers

Pens over Bruins

Round3:

Wings over Sharks

Caps over Pens

SCF:

Wings over Caps

Eastern Conference:

3 Buffalo v 6 Boston

4 Pittsburgh v 5 Ottawa

Western Conference:

1 San Jose v 8 Colorado

2 Chicago v 7 Nashville

3 Vancouver v 6 LA Kings

4 Phoenix v 5 Detroit

Stanley cup will be the Pens over the Hawks. Giving Marian Hossa another reason to commit suicide!

I really don't see Pittsburgh has it together this year. The Wings are the most dangerous team, playing like they are on a mission late in the season. But playoff time changes everything. Should be some good hockey coming up.

lots of people picking Boston in round 1. why?

People forgot how good Ryan Miller can be.... :thumbup:
Maybe because they have the goalie with the best GAA and Save %? :shrug:They're #2 in the league in goals against :shrug:They beat the Sabres 4 out 6 during the regular season :shrug:

BlackdotAnyone growing a Cup beard? I really, really want to, but the time's not right at work.

Hmm, I've had a beard for a few years now. Maybe I'll shave it before game 1 and then let it go until the end.

Eastern Conference:

3 Buffalo v 6 Boston

4 Pittsburgh v 5 Ottawa

Western Conference:

1 San Jose v 8 Colorado

2 Chicago v 7 Nashville

3 Vancouver v 6 LA Kings

4 Phoenix v 5 Detroit

It couldn't have been a more difficult season this season for the B's and they've had to absolutely grind out wins with good D and stellar goaltending. IF their power play shows up at all, I like their chances.

People forgot how good Ryan Miller can be.... :mellow:

Maybe because they have the goalie with the best GAA and Save %? :bow:

They're #2 in the league in goals against :shrug:

They beat the Sabres 4 out 6 during the regular season :shrug:

Sabres were 2-2-2 against Boston this year. They have the league's best goalie and #1 ranked PK unit.

Matchups:

Nov 7th @ Boston: Sabres goalie prospect Jhonas Enroth got his only start of the season and the Bruins won 4-2.

Nov 21st @ Buffalo: Bruins won 2-1 in OT on a tip-in from Bergeron.

Jan 29th @ Buffalo: Sabres won 2-1

Feb 9th @ Buffalo: Bruins won 3-2 in a shootout

Mar 29th @ Boston: Tim Thomas gets pulled and the Sabres win 3-2

Apr 8th @ Boston: Sabres had just clinched the division title and gave Lalime the start. Bruins won 3-1.

So, Boston got 2 wins against backup goalies. In the other 4 games, the Sabres were 2-0-2 with one of the OT losses coming in a shootout.

Also, let's take a look at the playoff records for the coaches:

Lindy Ruff - Has made the playoffs in 6 of his prior 11 seasons with the Sabres. In those 6 playoff seasons, he has advanced past the first round 5 times and has taken the team to the Conference finals 4 times. Playoff record: 52-36

Claude Julien - Has been a head coach for 6 seasons prior to this one and made the playoffs 3 times. In those 3 seasons, they advanced past the first round twice but never made it to the conference finals. Playoff record: 14-15

People forgot how good Ryan Miller can be.... :mellow:
Maybe because they have the goalie with the best GAA and Save %? :thumbup:They're #2 in the league in goals against :excited:They beat the Sabres 4 out 6 during the regular season :shrug:
Miller didn't play in two of the losses, including the most recent one last week.Interestingly, even though Rask only played a little more than half the B's games this season, he appeared in all six against Buffalo. But in one of the losses, he came in when Thomas was yanked after giving up all three goals.Should be a great series.Also interested to see what happens in the Kings-Canucks series, given that Quick has struggled of late after playing more than 70 games this season (and also recently experienced the birth of his first kid).

Sabres were 2-2-2 against Boston this year. They have the league's best goalie and #1 ranked PK unit.Matchups:Nov 7th @ Boston: Sabres goalie prospect Jhonas Enroth got his only start of the season and the Bruins won 4-2.Nov 21st @ Buffalo: Bruins won 2-1 in OT on a tip-in from Bergeron.Jan 29th @ Buffalo: Sabres won 2-1Feb 9th @ Buffalo: Bruins won 3-2 in a shootoutMar 29th @ Boston: Tim Thomas gets pulled and the Sabres win 3-2Apr 8th @ Boston: Sabres had just clinched the division title and gave Lalime the start. Bruins won 3-1.So, Boston got 2 wins against backup goalies. In the other 4 games, the Sabres were 2-0-2 with one of the OT losses coming in a shootout.

Not sure why you give the Sabres a pass with their backup but not the other way around when they lost with Thomas in net. Obviously Enroth or Lalime never won a Vezina, but Thomas certainly played like a backup this year. As much as you want to point to Buffalo's strengths in team defense, PK, and goalie...those are Boston's strengths as well.I think this will be a close series, but Seidenberg is a big loss and they are getting awfully thin at the blue line with Ference and Stewart probably out as well. They will certainly miss them more than Buffalo misses Connolly (if he misses any time at all).

Sabres were 2-2-2 against Boston this year. They have the league's best goalie and #1 ranked PK unit.Matchups:Nov 7th @ Boston: Sabres goalie prospect Jhonas Enroth got his only start of the season and the Bruins won 4-2.Nov 21st @ Buffalo: Bruins won 2-1 in OT on a tip-in from Bergeron.Jan 29th @ Buffalo: Sabres won 2-1Feb 9th @ Buffalo: Bruins won 3-2 in a shootoutMar 29th @ Boston: Tim Thomas gets pulled and the Sabres win 3-2Apr 8th @ Boston: Sabres had just clinched the division title and gave Lalime the start. Bruins won 3-1.So, Boston got 2 wins against backup goalies. In the other 4 games, the Sabres were 2-0-2 with one of the OT losses coming in a shootout.

Not sure why you give the Sabres a pass with their backup but not the other way around when they lost with Thomas in net. Obviously Enroth or Lalime never won a Vezina, but Thomas certainly played like a backup this year. As much as you want to point to Buffalo's strengths in team defense, PK, and goalie...those are Boston's strengths as well.I think this will be a close series, but Seidenberg is a big loss and they are getting awfully thin at the blue line with Ference and Stewart probably out as well. They will certainly miss them more than Buffalo misses Connolly (if he misses any time at all).
Tim Thomas won the Vezina trophy last year and was on the US Olympic team.Jhonas Enroth is an AHL goalie and Patrick Lalime isn't much better.seems like a pretty stark contrast here, to me at least. Also, the games when Miller sat don't seem that useful for predicting the future since we know that Miller will be playing in all playoff games.I'm hoping Connolly will be back but the Sabres should have enough depth to advance. It will likely be a low scoring series but the Sabres should advance in 5 or 6.

Tim Thomas won the Vezina trophy last year and was on the US Olympic team.Jhonas Enroth is an AHL goalie and Patrick Lalime isn't much better.seems like a pretty stark contrast here, to me at least. Also, the games when Miller sat don't seem that useful for predicting the future since we know that Miller will be playing in all playoff games.
None of the 3 goals Thomas let in when he got yanked in that game were bad goals. Got caught on some bad bounces and had an unfortunate night. I was merely stating that if you're going to throw out games simply because a backup was in net, then you should throw out games Thomas was in net because he put up backup numbers this year. Also, I don't expect to see Thomas in any playoff games this year either.

People forgot how good Ryan Miller can be.... :confused:

Maybe because they have the goalie with the best GAA and Save %? :D

They're #2 in the league in goals against :shrug:

They beat the Sabres 4 out 6 during the regular season :shrug:

Sabres were 2-2-2 against Boston this year. They have the league's best goalie and #1 ranked PK unit.

Matchups:

Nov 7th @ Boston: Sabres goalie prospect Jhonas Enroth got his only start of the season and the Bruins won 4-2.

Nov 21st @ Buffalo: Bruins won 2-1 in OT on a tip-in from Bergeron.

Jan 29th @ Buffalo: Sabres won 2-1

Feb 9th @ Buffalo: Bruins won 3-2 in a shootout

Mar 29th @ Boston: Tim Thomas gets pulled and the Sabres win 3-2

Apr 8th @ Boston: Sabres had just clinched the division title and gave Lalime the start. Bruins won 3-1.

So, Boston got 2 wins against backup goalies. In the other 4 games, the Sabres were 2-0-2 with one of the OT losses coming in a shootout.

Also, let's take a look at the playoff records for the coaches:

Lindy Ruff - Has made the playoffs in 6 of his prior 11 seasons with the Sabres. In those 6 playoff seasons, he has advanced past the first round 5 times and has taken the team to the Conference finals 4 times. Playoff record: 52-36

Claude Julien - Has been a head coach for 6 seasons prior to this one and made the playoffs 3 times. In those 3 seasons, they advanced past the first round twice but never made it to the conference finals. Playoff record: 14-15

Your right....Buffalo in 4. No reason to think the Bruins will even score a goal with the mighty Miller in net while the Sabres will be scoring at will on Rusk.

I'm not saying the Bruins will win the series, just that they have played the Sabres tough this year, they do have a great goalie of their own between the pipes, they do have the 2nd best defense in GAA in the league and that might be why some people think they can beat the Sabres.

None of the 3 goals Thomas let in when he got yanked in that game were bad goals. Got caught on some bad bounces and had an unfortunate night. I was merely stating that if you're going to throw out games simply because a backup was in net, then you should throw out games Thomas was in net because he put up backup numbers this year. Also, I don't expect to see Thomas in any playoff games this year either.

I haven't followed Boston that closely but Thomas has a .915 save percentage this year with 5 shutouts. His numbers suggest that he's been better than you seem to be implying.Also, he's played in 43 games while Rask has played in 45. There's really no chance that Thomas could see some time if Rask gets lit up early on?

I'm not saying the Bruins will win the series, just that they have played the Sabres tough this year, they do have a great goalie of their own between the pipes, they do have the 2nd best defense in GAA in the league and that might be why some people think they can beat the Sabres.

Of course they CAN beat the Sabres. I asked why people are thinking they WILL beat the Sabres.Ruff is probably the best playoff coach in the East and I think that gives Buffalo the edge, along with Miller in net.Rask has been awesome this year but he's young and everybody knows the playoffs are a different beast than regular season hockey. If he plays great, it will be close but that Bruins offense without Savard doesn't scare anyone.

I haven't followed Boston that closely but Thomas has a .915 save percentage this year with 5 shutouts. His numbers suggest that he's been better than you seem to be implying.Also, he's played in 43 games while Rask has played in 45. There's really no chance that Thomas could see some time if Rask gets lit up early on?
Thomas has been very inconsistent which has killed Boston all year. I believe all but one of those shutouts were very early in the year. Rask is the only reason this team is in the playoffs because they have obvious issues scoring and on the PP.Most teams have a backup that would see time if the starter gets lit up early so I don't think that's much of a statement. Rask has had one hiccup in those 45 games that I can recall without looking it up (against TB). He's been extremely consistent so I don't expect him to implode. He's been in plenty of pressure spots down the stretch here.

Of course they CAN beat the Sabres. I asked why people are thinking they WILL beat the Sabres.

Ruff is probably the best playoff coach in the East and I think that gives Buffalo the edge, along with Miller in net.

Rask has been awesome this year but he's young and everybody knows the playoffs are a different beast than regular season hockey. If he plays great, it will be close but that Bruins offense without Savard doesn't scare anyone.

Bylsma has NEVER lost a playoff series. :loco:

A) Rask will not be lit up B) if you saw any of Thomas' efforts this season, you would know that he looked bad even in victory. He simply was no where near the caliber of performance he exhibited last season. Thomas has always been the type of goalie that gets hot and looks like he can stop anything or goes cold and looks like a (literal) fish out of water. Rask is much more even keel and collected.

Most teams have a backup that would see time if the starter gets lit up early so I don't think that's much of a statement

The Sabres don't though, which was my original point.Regardless, if you exclude the Thomas game and just look at games where both Miller and Rask started, Sabres are 1-0-2 vs the Bruins this year with an OTL coming via shootout. Just seems that the 4-2 record of Boston over Buffalo that people have been referring to is pretty misleading.for his career, Miller is 16-5-6 vs Boston.

I'm not saying the Bruins will win the series, just that they have played the Sabres tough this year, they do have a great goalie of their own between the pipes, they do have the 2nd best defense in GAA in the league and that might be why some people think they can WILL beat the Sabres.

Of course they CAN beat the Sabres. I asked why people are thinking they WILL beat the Sabres.
I'm sorry, let me change that for you.

Pens fan here...their net-minding has not been stellar as of late.

Outside of Sid and Staal (and maybe Leopold), nobody has been stellar as of late. Then again, this is a team that has been to the Finals the last two years. I still think they'll turn it up a notch.

Most teams have a backup that would see time if the starter gets lit up early so I don't think that's much of a statement

The Sabres don't though, which was my original point.Regardless, if you exclude the Thomas game and just look at games where both Miller and Rask started, Sabres are 1-0-2 vs the Bruins this year with an OTL coming via shootout. Just seems that the 4-2 record of Boston over Buffalo that people have been referring to is pretty misleading.for his career, Miller is 16-5-6 vs Boston.
I understand what you were trying to do and I agree with you. All I'm saying (again) is you cherry picked the games Miller didn't start but didn't do the same for Rask which is the same as saying "4-2 scoreboard!".Chara is going to log a TON of ice this series. I'm guessing well above his 25 min. average at 30+.

Archived