What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Lacrosse Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Tasker

Footballguy
Any other lacrosse fans here?

NCAA, professional, outdoor or box lacrosse....any fans? Any players? Former players?

I know I can't be the only fan here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I follow college lacrosse quite a bit. Attended the last two Final Fours in Foxboro, and I'm hoping to get down to the Warrior Classic next Saturday at Rentschler Field -- Denver-Fairfield, then UMass-Georgetown.

Great game that I never really got a chance to see until I got to college, but it's really exploded here in Massachusetts at the high school/youth level over the last decade.

I follow college lacrosse quite a bit. Attended the last two Final Fours in Foxboro, and I'm hoping to get down to the Warrior Classic next Saturday at Rentschler Field -- Denver-Fairfield, then UMass-Georgetown.Great game that I never really got a chance to see until I got to college, but it's really exploded here in Massachusetts at the high school/youth level over the last decade.
:DI played when I was younger, and would've played in HS but was continually injured from the fall soccer season and was never healthy for the spring lacrosse....I was never that good anyway.It's huge here at the high school level, but I don't follow HS lacrosse at all. Indoor lacrosse is actually huge here with the Buffalo Bandits. Probably the biggest NLL fanbase in the league, I'd think.I do follow college lacrosse, although I've only been following it for a few years. ESPNU has great coverage with a few games every weekend - there were some good games yesterday - Duke upset #1 UVA and the Army/Navy game.

I'm a fan through familial involvement (FIL ran a Lax camp for 30 years and is a NCAA official) - absolutely love the game despite having no skillz. Follow collegiate lacrosse casually.

Nice game between JHU and the Terps yesterday. My daughter announced last week that she wants to play lax. What, soccer and basketball isn't enough?

I just got ESPNU at the start of the spring season and could not be happier with all the lax they show. This is the first year in 10 years that I did not coach my school team. I am reffing instead. I love the game. Played in HS but like Taskles I was not very good. I became a much better player as I got older.

One thing I don't get is the new way to pass. I was taught and I have taught all my players to bring the crosse up to the box (between their heads and sholder) and to follow thru. The kids today are throwing sidearm and when they don't they stop short of their masks. Seems like they are flicking the ball instead of throwing it. I don't know if this is how they are being taught but it looks wierd to me.

Lax is very big in section 1 in NY since we have the powerhouse teams like Yorktown and John Jay. You see tons of players from these schools when you watch college lax. We have had our share of good players come out of our program but no where near the amount as those schools.

And how awesome are the Bratton brothers. They used to show their games on MSG a lot when they were seniors.

West Islip looks unbeatable this year (no idea what their record is but the one time I saw them, they looked like the real deal)

I just got ESPNU at the start of the spring season and could not be happier with all the lax they show. This is the first year in 10 years that I did not coach my school team. I am reffing instead. I love the game. Played in HS but like Taskles I was not very good. I became a much better player as I got older. One thing I don't get is the new way to pass. I was taught and I have taught all my players to bring the crosse up to the box (between their heads and sholder) and to follow thru. The kids today are throwing sidearm and when they don't they stop short of their masks. Seems like they are flicking the ball instead of throwing it. I don't know if this is how they are being taught but it looks wierd to me. Lax is very big in section 1 in NY since we have the powerhouse teams like Yorktown and John Jay. You see tons of players from these schools when you watch college lax. We have had our share of good players come out of our program but no where near the amount as those schools. And how awesome are the Bratton brothers. They used to show their games on MSG a lot when they were seniors. West Islip looks unbeatable this year (no idea what their record is but the one time I saw them, they looked like the real deal)
I almost PM'd you to come save this thread after it looked like it was destined for 0 replies :rolleyes:Bratton brothers are both sickETA: they were on last night in the UVA game....are they both seniors?

I just got ESPNU at the start of the spring season and could not be happier with all the lax they show. This is the first year in 10 years that I did not coach my school team. I am reffing instead. I love the game. Played in HS but like Taskles I was not very good. I became a much better player as I got older.

One thing I don't get is the new way to pass. I was taught and I have taught all my players to bring the crosse up to the box (between their heads and sholder) and to follow thru. The kids today are throwing sidearm and when they don't they stop short of their masks. Seems like they are flicking the ball instead of throwing it. I don't know if this is how they are being taught but it looks wierd to me.

Lax is very big in section 1 in NY since we have the powerhouse teams like Yorktown and John Jay. You see tons of players from these schools when you watch college lax. We have had our share of good players come out of our program but no where near the amount as those schools.

And how awesome are the Bratton brothers. They used to show their games on MSG a lot when they were seniors.

West Islip looks unbeatable this year (no idea what their record is but the one time I saw them, they looked like the real deal)
I almost PM'd you to come save this thread after it looked like it was destined for 0 replies :shrug: Bratton brothers are both sick

ETA: they were on last night in the UVA game....are they both seniors?
I think they are Jrs.Another thing that has changed the game immensely is the new turf that everyone uses. It has all but eliminated the bounce shot. I used to have my kids run one sprint every time they didnt bounce it and they were stopped. You cant do that anymore since it will bounce right to the goalie.

ETA: Both Jrs

Have been watching the College games on ESPN this year since my son started playing. I really enjoy the sport and my son is loving it. LAX is starting to pick up popularity here in Florida. Lacrosse is also a good sport to keep him in shape for when Football starts in July.

After this weekend, it looks like five best teams are Syracuse and the 4 ACC schools. The ACC tourney is this weekend - semis are UVa-Duke and UNC-Maryland. It doesn't mean much other than bragging rights, but it should be entertaining. You can watch the semis online and should be able to find the championship game on TV Sunday afternoon.

The NCAA will not set up the brackets for all the ACC schools to make the national semifinals, but it will be a small upset if the final four is not Syracuse and 3 ACC teams.

The New Yorker has been running some lacrosse stories for the past year. If you can find it on the web site, the one on lacrosse camps for players seeking college scholarships was quite good. The most recent was Princeton's head coach leaving to take over Denver.

And while it's a completely different sport to me, the No. 2 UNC women just ended No. 1 Northwestern's 41-game winning streak.

:blackdot:

Huge fan. I still play club lacrosse, when I don't have a devastating knee injury that I am recovering from.

I have season tickets for the Washington Stealth, our local NLL franchise, and I also go up to BC from time to time to catch some WLA games.

my brother's really into it. He's a junior in HS and a borderline D1 prospect (he's on the board for a few schools, but no offers at this point).

I don't really get it. The whole lacrosse culture is a little much for me. I was an athlete growing up (football, basketball, baseball, some swimming) and to me, lacrosse players just seem to have this massive inferiority complex. Its like they have to prove how tough they are all the time because nobody really cares about the sport (relative to something like football).

At the college level, its kinda tough to take seriously. I don't really consider something a "real sport" when like 90% of the participants are preppy white guys from Long Island. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that you could take the RB's and DB's at some place like USC, coach them for a year and they'd probably make the final 4.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that you could take the RB's and DB's at some place like USC, coach them for a year and they'd probably make the final 4.
:confused:
All i know is that in a year and a half, my brother went from never playing the sport and getting cut from his middle school team to starting on the varsity, making the top summer travel team in NJ and getting letters from D1 schools (including the Ivy's). If he can do that, after being very mediocre at every other sport he tried, i gotta think a 5'11 200 lb RB that runs a 4.4 would catch on pretty quick.

Don't follow the sport but took my 6 year old son to his first practice yesterday - shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, helmet & stick - he absolutely loved it.

Watching 50 1st graders at their 1st practice was kind of cool.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that you could take the RB's and DB's at some place like USC, coach them for a year and they'd probably make the final 4.
:confused:
All i know is that in a year and a half, my brother went from never playing the sport and getting cut from his middle school team to starting on the varsity, making the top summer travel team in NJ and getting letters from D1 schools (including the Ivy's). If he can do that, after being very mediocre at every other sport he tried, i gotta think a 5'11 200 lb RB that runs a 4.4 would catch on pretty quick.
This is not far from the truth. All you need to be in lax is an athlete. There is a very quick learning curve. Many people can pick it up late and be very good if they are athletesIt doesnt diminish the sport though IMO

:thumbup:
No doubt that great athletes can become very good lacrosse players. Great athletes can usually become very good at most sports with coaching and dedication.Your statement may have been intended as hyperbole. I hope so, because the idea that you could take a bunch of great athletes and introduce them to a completely new sport and have them be competitive with the top D-I programs in a year is just ludicrous.

As for your statement about the level of pure athlete that plays the sport at the college level, there is some truth to it. The average D-I lacrosse player isn't going to be comparable to a DB or RB at a major college football program in terms of size/strength or explosiveness. But as the sport grows in popularity nationally there are more and more truly athletic kids playing the game. A few are true athletic freaks.

Look at Virginia. The Bratton brothers are both elite athletes. Both Syracuse and Virginia have had players who turned down D-I football scholarships to play lacrosse over the last several years as well.

Or take a look at a guy like Paul Rabil, who was an AA at JHU a couple years back. He is 6'3" 225 pounds and is one of the fastest guys on the field. He has great feet and quickness. He can also shoot the ball 110 mph. And can shoot accurately, with either hand, while on the run. Could he play in the NFL? No. But he could have been a good LB or WR in college. Maybe not a top player at a BCS school, but he definitely has the athletic ability to have been a productive D-I football player.

:thumbup:
I think the general consensus is that most lacrosse players are not athletic enough to do D1 football or basketball - after all, Jim Brown is considered the best lacrosse player of all time. He was had such an athletic advantage over his competition.

:goodposting:
No doubt that great athletes can become very good lacrosse players. Great athletes can usually become very good at most sports with coaching and dedication.Your statement may have been intended as hyperbole. I hope so, because the idea that you could take a bunch of great athletes and introduce them to a completely new sport and have them be competitive with the top D-I programs in a year is just ludicrous.

As for your statement about the level of pure athlete that plays the sport at the college level, there is some truth to it. The average D-I lacrosse player isn't going to be comparable to a DB or RB at a major college football program in terms of size/strength or explosiveness. But as the sport grows in popularity nationally there are more and more truly athletic kids playing the game. A few are true athletic freaks.

Look at Virginia. The Bratton brothers are both elite athletes. Both Syracuse and Virginia have had players who turned down D-I football scholarships to play lacrosse over the last several years as well.

Or take a look at a guy like Paul Rabil, who was an AA at JHU a couple years back. He is 6'3" 225 pounds and is one of the fastest guys on the field. He has great feet and quickness. He can also shoot the ball 110 mph. And can shoot accurately, with either hand, while on the run. Could he play in the NFL? No. But he could have been a good LB or WR in college. Maybe not a top player at a BCS school, but he definitely has the athletic ability to have been a productive D-I football player.
There is a slight amount of hyperbole in my statement. Maybe a year is too short a time frame. But honestly, given world class coaching (lets say the coach from Cuse of JHU or Duke or wherever) and a decent amount of time to mold a team out of a group of very high level D1 football players, i don't think it would take them a ton of time to be competitive. And honestly, if they had 2 years of practice as a team, i think they could be pretty darn good (maybe final 4 good). I respect the guys that play the sport, but its just a different level of athlete. Size and speed are just a huge part of the game and at this point, the guys that are playing it are almost entirely white kids from the northeast. Nothing against white kids from the northeast (I'm one of them) but the guys from other parts of the country (mostly black guys) are just on another level. Yeah, they'd need time to learn stick skills, but based on what I've seen of the Lax learning curve, it wouldn't take them that much time.

Fan through following Cornell for years.

Although after the last couple of games vs Syracuse, I'm beginning to ask myself why I submit myself to the torture.

:bag:

:bag:

There is a slight amount of hyperbole in my statement. Maybe a year is too short a time frame. But honestly, given world class coaching (lets say the coach from Cuse of JHU or Duke or wherever) and a decent amount of time to mold a team out of a group of very high level D1 football players, i don't think it would take them a ton of time to be competitive. And honestly, if they had 2 years of practice as a team, i think they could be pretty darn good (maybe final 4 good). I respect the guys that play the sport, but its just a different level of athlete. Size and speed are just a huge part of the game and at this point, the guys that are playing it are almost entirely white kids from the northeast. Nothing against white kids from the northeast (I'm one of them) but the guys from other parts of the country (mostly black guys) are just on another level. Yeah, they'd need time to learn stick skills, but based on what I've seen of the Lax learning curve, it wouldn't take them that much time.
Well, I can't disagree totally. There aren't too many real sports where being bigger AND faster than the other players isn't an advantage. The best lacrosse players have always been good athletes. Good feet, quickness and straight line speed all factor into that...as well as hand/eye coordination. So a guy who is 5'8" and 175 pounds, but quick and fast could have historically become a top flight lacrosse player if his skills were good enough. The difference between now and 20+ years ago is the size of the players. There are more and more good athletes who also happen to be big and strong who are playing the game. Is it isn't anything like football at this stage, though. And you can take a good natural athlete and turn them into a decent lacrosse player pretty quickly. I can't deny that...I've seen it happen.

However, I will say that there is a difference between having passable stick skills and truly being elite in that regard. The guys who are truly skilled got that way from years and years of practice. They can do things, and make them look easy, that just defy explanation.

But as somebody else said, the fact that every player isn't an athletic freak of nature shouldn't take away from the appeal of the sport as a spectator. At least it doesn't for me...

I think the general consensus is that most lacrosse players are not athletic enough to do D1 football or basketball - after all, Jim Brown is considered the best lacrosse player of all time. He was had such an athletic advantage over his competition.
Yeah, but he's also considered the best football player of all time.

Fan through following Cornell for years.Although after the last couple of games vs Syracuse, I'm beginning to ask myself why I submit myself to the torture. :bag:
The Claytons went thru our program. Great players and great kids. Last I heard, Brian was playing for Chicago in MLL

Fan through following Cornell for years.Although after the last couple of games vs Syracuse, I'm beginning to ask myself why I submit myself to the torture. :bag:
The championship game last year was a heart-breaker. I know the goalie who started for Cornell last year and I felt so bad for him. He and the defense gagged pretty badly in the last part of the 4th quarter. And it was a shame because Jake had been standing on his head for most of the tournament.

Fan through following Cornell for years.Although after the last couple of games vs Syracuse, I'm beginning to ask myself why I submit myself to the torture. :(
The championship game last year was a heart-breaker. I know the goalie who started for Cornell last year and I felt so bad for him. He and the defense gagged pretty badly in the last part of the 4th quarter. And it was a shame because Jake had been standing on his head for most of the tournament.
I still don't like thinking about it. It was amazing how everything crumbled so quickly.At least I was more ready for it last week when SU won on a last second game-winning goal after the new kid made 20 saves.

Fan through following Cornell for years.Although after the last couple of games vs Syracuse, I'm beginning to ask myself why I submit myself to the torture. :)
I was at the game at Gillette and still have never seen a tape of the full last half-minute from when Cornell had the restart after the bad pass out of bounds.What I thought was that the Cornell defenseman ... I can't remember if it was Moyer -- seemed to have an alley for the clear up the left side from where he started, but instead threw it across to the right side. That was where Syracuse's ride forced the turnover.Still, an unbelievable heartbreaker and a shame given how great the Big Red had played for 59+ minutes.

Fan through following Cornell for years.Although after the last couple of games vs Syracuse, I'm beginning to ask myself why I submit myself to the torture. :)
I was at the game at Gillette and still have never seen a tape of the full last half-minute from when Cornell had the restart after the bad pass out of bounds.What I thought was that the Cornell defenseman ... I can't remember if it was Moyer -- seemed to have an alley for the clear up the left side from where he started, but instead threw it across to the right side. That was where Syracuse's ride forced the turnover.Still, an unbelievable heartbreaker and a shame given how great the Big Red had played for 59+ minutes.
I had that on my DVR for a long time afterwards, but I've since deleted it.I remember I had to leave during the mid-3rd, and I set it to tape, making sure I put in a lot of extra time for OT. Good decision....

Fan through following Cornell for years.Although after the last couple of games vs Syracuse, I'm beginning to ask myself why I submit myself to the torture. :goodposting:
I had that on my DVR for a long time afterwards, but I've since deleted it.I remember I had to leave during the mid-3rd, and I set it to tape, making sure I put in a lot of extra time for OT. Good decision....
Do you ever go to Bandits games?

Was looking for this earlier. Glad someone found it.

ACC men's semis this afternoon/evening in College Park, featuring the No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 teams in the latest poll

5 - Virginia (1 seed/No. 2 in poll) vs Duke (4/4)

7:30 - UNC (2/3) vs Maryland (3/5)

Finals on Sunday (on what should be miserable weather).

Another interesting game in area this weekend - Johns Hopkins at Navy, with Hopkins facing missing the NCAA tourney and needing to win its last 3.

Was looking for this earlier. Glad someone found it.ACC men's semis this afternoon/evening in College Park, featuring the No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 teams in the latest poll5 - Virginia (1 seed/No. 2 in poll) vs Duke (4/4)7:30 - UNC (2/3) vs Maryland (3/5)Finals on Sunday (on what should be miserable weather).Another interesting game in area this weekend - Johns Hopkins at Navy, with Hopkins facing missing the NCAA tourney and needing to win its last 3.
Unfortunately not on TV tonight (ESPN U)And the Warrior Classic is on tomorrow

I have been to a few, I've been going to basically 1/year for the last few. Just started going fairly recently, although my parents say they used to take me when I was a little kid (not that I remember).They're absolutely huge around here, and routinely sell out (or come close to) the HSBC Arena. I went to a game in late January, they were 0-2 or 0-3 to start the season, and there were still 17,000 people there. Pretty crazy.

I have been to a few, I've been going to basically 1/year for the last few. Just started going fairly recently, although my parents say they used to take me when I was a little kid (not that I remember).They're absolutely huge around here, and routinely sell out (or come close to) the HSBC Arena. I went to a game in late January, they were 0-2 or 0-3 to start the season, and there were still 17,000 people there. Pretty crazy.
I brought my team to The NY Titans game a few years ago. Was a great experience. Lots of fun and an autograph session on the turf after the game.

I brought my team to The NY Titans game a few years ago. Was a great experience. Lots of fun and an autograph session on the turf after the game.
For a minor league niche sport, the NLL has a pretty good product. The lack of a TV deal hurts the league tremendously though. That and the instability of the franchises outside of Buffalo, Philly and Rochester.

I played hockey in HS and college and never really played LAX, but always admired the sport. Living in NC now, my kids are getting to the age of organized sports and while there is some hockey here, the second your kid is decent, the travel committment is out of control (closest away game is 3 hours). I was wondering, at what age do you recommend starting children in lacrosse? I have an almost 8 year old girl and a 5 year old bo (plus another 2 year old boy) and just wanted to get some ideas?

I played hockey in HS and college and never really played LAX, but always admired the sport. Living in NC now, my kids are getting to the age of organized sports and while there is some hockey here, the second your kid is decent, the travel committment is out of control (closest away game is 3 hours). I was wondering, at what age do you recommend starting children in lacrosse? I have an almost 8 year old girl and a 5 year old bo (plus another 2 year old boy) and just wanted to get some ideas?
My school starts having clinics for 1st and 2nd graders. Official games do not start until 3rd grade.Your daughter is perfect age to start. I would say your son can start learning next year. Hopefully there is a good program near you.ETA: Hockey is a bum out for our program. We get tons of hockey players that play from grades 7-10 and then quit because hockey is such a commitment. We have a great hockey program (finished #2 in the state, lost in OT in semis, but were up 3-1 with 31 seconds left) but our lax program can benefit from the kids that quit.

never really got into it, but recently saw my alma mater, Stony Brook, has become a regional lax powerhouse. I played rugby in college and we had a few lax guys join the team also. SB lacrosse went D-1 when I was there in the early 1990s, and it was cool to see them just play the likes of Notre Dame, Air Force, etc. Now, they're beating the pants off them.

I checked today and the SB Seawolves lax team is ranked #12 in the country! They're also the hosts of half the D-1 quarterfinals in mid-May. I'd like to go.

My school starts having clinics for 1st and 2nd graders. Official games do not start until 3rd grade.Your daughter is perfect age to start. I would say your son can start learning next year. Hopefully there is a good program near you.ETA: Hockey is a bum out for our program. We get tons of hockey players that play from grades 7-10 and then quit because hockey is such a commitment. We have a great hockey program (finished #2 in the state, lost in OT in semis, but were up 3-1 with 31 seconds left) but our lax program can benefit from the kids that quit.
Good info, thanks! UNC Women's LAX hosts a camp (unfortunately my girl is still in school), but besides that I see nothing for young kids out there. To my surprise (hey we have UNC and Duke 20 miles away), LAX is just cathcing on locally...which I think is great so my kids can actually play in HS.

Was looking for this earlier. Glad someone found it.ACC men's semis this afternoon/evening in College Park, featuring the No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 teams in the latest poll5 - Virginia (1 seed/No. 2 in poll) vs Duke (4/4)7:30 - UNC (2/3) vs Maryland (3/5)Finals on Sunday (on what should be miserable weather).Another interesting game in area this weekend - Johns Hopkins at Navy, with Hopkins facing missing the NCAA tourney and needing to win its last 3.
Need to find out if my FIL went down for this and get an update from him if he did. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread