What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Owners Selling Their Teams To The Highest Bidder (1 Viewer)

Kevrunner

Footballguy
I have seen this practiced a couple of times, where a dynasty football owner will put up his team forsale to the highest bidder. This has been bothering me for a while and just want to see if I am in the minority regarding this. Owners who join "dynasty leagues" are in it for the long haul, at least that is my interpretation. Now it looks like there are some owners who will join a dynasty league with the "intention" of selling it later for a profit as soon as possible.

I have a few reasons why I am against this practice. I will just try to explain one of the reasons. Every year there are teams that are in the "playoff hunt" and will trade a young prospect and maybe draft picks for a proven, older vet for a playoff push and hopefully a championship. But an owner who plans on selling off his team to the highest bidder, will not make such a trade, because it will make his team less attractive for resale.

I guess dynasty commissioners could easily prevent owners from flipping their teams by putting language in the bylaws, which I strongly urge. I can just see in the future where this practice will be done more and more.

I have a few reasons why I am against this practice. I will just try to explain one of the reasons. Every year there are teams that are in the "playoff hunt" and will trade a young prospect and maybe draft picks for a proven, older vet for a playoff push and hopefully a championship. But an owner who plans on selling off his team to the highest bidder, will not make such a trade, because it will make his team less attractive for resale.
Lots of reasons not to like this, but this isn't one of them. You're basically saying you're mad because they won't do a trade you think they should do.

I feel that if a team wants to leave a dynasty league, the commissioner should be the one to advertise the vacancy. Set a date for owners to pay up or state that they are leaving, and hold a dispersal draft among the new owners if there is more than one team available. Owners that want to leave lose any deposit that was previously paid. Too many owners join a league, end up with a crappy team, and leave after one year. So require a deposit for the following year, and don't refund it. Those types of owners, along with this guy selling multiple teams at a profit, are what screw up dynasty leagues. Join a redraft if you don't want to commit past a year.

JPeso joined 205 dynasty leagues. Lay off him.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. He built the team, it usually isn't a garbage team that no one is interested. Like one the commish may have to sell at a discount. If you've paid a deposit on these leagues as well, JMO there isn't much profit to be made.

I Commish in one of my leagues and we don't allow this.If you want out you just

leave, we have a half dozen people on a waiting list......How do you work this, they

pay the owner and then pay the league fee???

I have yet to become aware of it ever having been done in one of my leagues, but could somone explain what is so bad about it?

It seems to me the owner who built a successful dynasty and now wants out should have the right to privately sell for a premium price. Chances are, if he's that good, I'd like to have him out of my league anyway, and and chnces are that the person he sells to won't have anywhere near his talent in mamaging a team. So why would I feel negatively about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to become aware of it ever having been done in one of my leagues, but could somone explain what is so bad about it? It seems to me the owner who built a successful dynasty and now wants out should have the right to privately sell for a premium price. Chances are, if he's that good, I'd like to have him out of my league anyway, and and chnces are that the person he sells to won't have anywhere near his talent in mamaging a team. So why would I feel negatively about this?
:shrug:

In the leagues I play in, the league chooses and votes in the replacement owners. It is in the league's best interest, and to each of the remaining owners, to find a quality replacement ... not just the one willing to bid the most. To me, a dynasty league is only as good as the owners (and the commish).

JPeso joined 205 dynasty leagues. Lay off him.I don't see anything wrong with it at all. He built the team, it usually isn't a garbage team that no one is interested. Like one the commish may have to sell at a discount. If you've paid a deposit on these leagues as well, JMO there isn't much profit to be made.
LMAO well well we have a Jpeso cheeerleader here oh boy! :lmao: I ask him to chime in with his opinion Have not layed on him in anyway although we could in PM if you care to continue???

I have yet to become aware of it ever having been done in one of my leagues, but could somone explain what is so bad about it? It seems to me the owner who built a successful dynasty and now wants out should have the right to privately sell for a premium price. Chances are, if he's that good, I'd like to have him out of my league anyway, and and chnces are that the person he sells to won't have anywhere near his talent in mamaging a team. So why would I feel negatively about this?
I look at a FF league as a partnership between the current owners. If an owner wants to leave the league, fine. But the remaining owners should be the ones to choose who joins the league, not the one who's leaving.

I have never encountered anything like this in fantasy, so I thought about it, and I decided whether it's right or not isn't important. You need to ask if you want to be in a league with other owners who think it is OK or not.

I don't want to be in a league with owners that would buy a team. There is no satisfaction in buying a good team. The satisfaction is grabbing a young guy that develops, the satisfaction is being right on someone, picking up that free agent or late draft pick, and watching him turn into Colston. And the satisfaction is also being in a league with strong owners, and outsmarting them, the competition. In general, how much competition would an owner who bought his team be?

Seriously, if you would ever buy a fantasy football team, seek help.

Lots of reasons not to like this, but this isn't one of them. You're basically saying you're mad because they won't do a trade you think they should do.
I could care less if an owner wants to trade with me or not, but I was more concerned about the league itself. I didn't say I was mad, I said I didn't like the idea of owners flipping teams, not good for the league in my opinion.

JPeso joined 205 dynasty leagues. Lay off him.I don't see anything wrong with it at all. He built the team, it usually isn't a garbage team that no one is interested. Like one the commish may have to sell at a discount. If you've paid a deposit on these leagues as well, JMO there isn't much profit to be made.
LMAO well well we have a Jpeso cheeerleader here oh boy! :thumbup: I ask him to chime in with his opinion Have not layed on him in anyway although we could in PM if you care to continue???
My response wasn't towards your prior comment :lmao: I just meant I've seen his ads in the looking for leagues selling his squads.I have no problem with him doing it. He's giving away some decent looking teams.To whomever said seek help if you buy a team. Isn't that what anyone is doing if they're replacing an owner that quits a league? Colored me confused.

Wouldn't allow it in any league that I run. Not sure it's wrong or anything, but it would just irk me that an owner thinks he can pick his replacement. In every league I've ran, these things have to go by the commissioner or league office.

Apparently JPeso had a $350 bid on a team that would make him a $200 profit. :thumbup:

Link

God help the bidder if that's true. God help JPeso if it's a lie.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. He built the team, it usually isn't a garbage team that no one is interested. Like one the commish may have to sell at a discount. If you've paid a deposit on these leagues as well, JMO there isn't much profit to be made.
LMAO well well we have a Jpeso cheeerleader here oh boy! :thumbup: I ask him to chime in with his opinion Have not layed on him in anyway although we could in PM if you care to continue???
My response wasn't towards your prior comment :) I just meant I've seen his ads in the looking for leagues selling his squads.I have no problem with him doing it. He's giving away some decent looking teams.

To whomever said seek help if you buy a team. Isn't that what anyone is doing if they're replacing an owner that quits a league? Colored me confused.
No. When you replace an owner you ask them to pay the league fee and they take over the team. What the OP is talking about is the owner putting ownership of his team on the market to the highest bidder. In addition to what he pays for control of the team, he is still on the hook for the league fee each year. Usually when you take over a team, it's abandoned and not exactly top notch. These teams that get auctioned are usually very good.Personally, if it was my league or a league made with certain owners that were hand picked, I would be pissed. I picked that person and want a say if they decide to leave.

HOWEVER..if this was a FBG league that I just happened to join from the LFL's and I know nobody, then game on imo.

My response wasn't towards your prior comment :) I just meant I've seen his ads in the looking for leagues selling his squads.I have no problem with him doing it. He's giving away some decent looking teams.

To whomever said seek help if you buy a team. Isn't that what anyone is doing if they're replacing an owner that quits a league? Colored me confused.
No. When you replace an owner you ask them to pay the league fee and they take over the team. What the OP is talking about is the owner putting ownership of his team on the market to the highest bidder. In addition to what he pays for control of the team, he is still on the hook for the league fee each year. Usually when you take over a team, it's abandoned and not exactly top notch. These teams that get auctioned are usually very good.Personally, if it was my league or a league made with certain owners that were hand picked, I would be pissed. I picked that person and want a say if they decide to leave.

HOWEVER..if this was a FBG league that I just happened to join from the LFL's and I know nobody, then game on imo.
Whether you pay $200 for an auctioned team or $55 to pay the league fee for a squad the commish is selling....you're still buying a team.

Why does it have to be a "right" or "wrong" thing? To me, it simply depends.

Some leagues have the commish/owners choose new members. In that setting, unless the commish approves the new owner, then no, it's not ok.

Some leagues don't choose new owners that way. In that setting, then I see no issue whatsoever.

If you wouldn't want someone selling off a team, then play in a league where the commish chooses. If you're already in a league where the commish doesn't choose, then why would you complain about who an owner brought in or how?

In the leagues I play in, the league chooses and votes in the replacement owners. It is in the league's best interest, and to each of the remaining owners, to find a quality replacement ... not just the one willing to bid the most. To me, a dynasty league is only as good as the owners (and the commish).
:goodposting: I only play in leagues where the commish and/or league decide on incoming owners

I could care less if an owner wants to trade with me or not, but I was more concerned about the league itself. I didn't say I was mad, I said I didn't like the idea of owners flipping teams, not good for the league in my opinion.
I have never come across this scenario but I also do not see this as a major dilemma for the league. I have taken part in leagues where the commish fills the void, the owner arranges for a replacement ahead of time and where the other owners assist in recruiting replacements. They have all worked out fine.If someone wanted to buy one of my championship teams I would love it - I would also be interested in taking over one of the bottom feeder teams to see how long it took me to rebuild. If someone can turn a profit because they can do this well more power to them. The fact that it may happen doesn't necessarily impact the league at all just because you wouldn't do it or can't understand why someone else would.

If you're already in a league where the commish doesn't choose, then why would you complain about who an owner brought in or how?
I don't think that was necessarily the gist of this thread though. Of course, anyone who joins a league knows the rules ahead of time. I think the OP was just stating his displeasure over the practice, as a matter of principal.

Whether you pay $200 for an auctioned team or $55 to pay the league fee for a squad the commish is selling....you're still buying a team.
It might technically be the same thing, but there is a difference between an owner that is willing to work to build a team, and the possibility that an owner that is going to buy a stacked team won't stick around to rebuild it if/when it becomes less than good.Again, I don't have a moral issue with anyone that wants to buy a team. I just (in general terms) wouldn't want an owner like that joining my league.

If you're already in a league where the commish doesn't choose, then why would you complain about who an owner brought in or how?
I don't think that was necessarily the gist of this thread though. Of course, anyone who joins a league knows the rules ahead of time. I think the OP was just stating his displeasure over the practice, as a matter of principal.
I get the gist. And my point is, if your league doesn't have the commish/league choosing new owners, then what is the problem with this practice? Would it make him feel better if he sold the team at face value? Or is it the fact that he decided to leave the league? Owners leave teams in leagues all over the place. I can say I'd prefer an owner leaving a team that he can sell for a profit (i.e. a good team) rather than an owner running a team into the ground that nobody wants to take over.In other words, if it's allowed, who cares? It shouldn't/doesn't affect you or your team.

i think somebody else said this and I agree with them

Not cool if it was an invitation only league.

I'm ok with it if it was a league filled on message board classifieds where anyone could have signed up anyways.

If its my team I should be able to do with it as I please.
It's not your league. I'm not sure I'd stay in a league where teams sell their teams for profit. I suppose if it's a major money league I can see it and there are viable arguments as to why it's okay, I just question the culture of a league where this is accepted.

LMAO well well we have a Jpeso cheeerleader here oh boy! :doh: I ask him to chime in with his opinion Have not layed on him in anyway although we could in PM if you care to continue???
My response wasn't towards your prior comment :eek: I just meant I've seen his ads in the looking for leagues selling his squads.I have no problem with him doing it. He's giving away some decent looking teams.

The commish isn't so much selling that team as he's giving it to a person who pays the set league fee everyone pays. Call it semantics but there isn't a profit on the transaction, that makes a difference IMO.

I get the gist. And my point is, if your league doesn't have the commish/league choosing new owners, then what is the problem with this practice? Would it make him feel better if he sold the team at face value? Or is it the fact that he decided to leave the league? Owners leave teams in leagues all over the place. I can say I'd prefer an owner leaving a team that he can sell for a profit (i.e. a good team) rather than an owner running a team into the ground that nobody wants to take over.In other words, if it's allowed, who cares? It shouldn't/doesn't affect you or your team.
IMO that is the point. Clearly everyone can have whatever rules their group agrees to (within the law of course), it's just that I wouldn't be in a league that didn't have the league or commish select its members.

In other words, if it's allowed, who cares? It shouldn't/doesn't affect you or your team.
OK....because it's a semi-sleazy practice IMO....there, I said it. :doh:
Why is it semi-sleazy? You do realize that people play fantasy football for various reasons, don't you? Some leagues are free. Some leagues are among coworkers. Some leagues are among total strangers. Some leagues have huge buy-ins. Some people play for fun. Some people play for money. Some people play for both. Essentially, if someone is playing for money and sells a team for a profit, they're simply doing what was their intended purpose. You, as an owner playing for fun may not ever decide to do the same, but it doesn't make the other owner "semi-sleazy". Do you think people that buy homes to fix them up and them flip them for a profit are "semi-sleazy"? Ebayers? Anyone else that invests time and money into something they are good at to make money?

It might technically be the same thing, but there is a difference between an owner that is willing to work to build a team, and the possibility that an owner that is going to buy a stacked team won't stick around to rebuild it if/when it becomes less than good.Again, I don't have a moral issue with anyone that wants to buy a team. I just (in general terms) wouldn't want an owner like that joining my league.
I agree. You're accepting an owner in who likely is only interested in his team winning in the short term and probably has a much higher likelihood of abandoning the team if things don't go his way or when its time to rebuild. It's hard enough to get a league together with owners committed to the long haul, it almost seems like you're inviting in more instability by allowing this.

It's much better than a commissioner that kicks owners out because they don't check in but every couple weeks in the NFL offseason. I won't name the bozo FBG poster that did this to me last month & kept part of my deposit. I check in almost daily during the football season, but tend to take a break between Super Bowl and NFL draft. Unrelated note: Jpeso is/was in that league.

I find that much much much sleazier than JPESO trying to profit off a well built team [something I don't have a problem with].

What a bunch of haters and crybabies. Commishes and leagues should select new owners? What makes your leagues so prestigous that an application should be filed?

Did anyone ever think that maybe for whatever reason someone wants to cut down on their leagues, why shouldn't they get paid for their efforts if the market bears that out. Most of the posters on this board are American right? You know, the land of capitalism.

I like the "we're all in this together" arguement and the "how could someone do this to our league" mentality. Umm, most of us are in leagues with strangers we met on the internet and the only true commitment we have to one another is to put forth an honest effort and play by the rules.

I commish a couple leagues and would prefer this type of owner over the deadbeat that runs a team into the ground and never checks in from January to August. Why should a master architect give up a winning team for free when it will probably keep paying dividends in the future? People need to relax.

We don't have problem with someone paying standard league fees for a crappy bottom feeder team.

It seems to me that by far the greatest problem is not people building great dynasties and then selling them for profit. After all, if the team is that good they could keep playing, win, and make a profit. The most common problem is someone running a team into the ground and then abandoning it. The league then has to find someone willing to take on a 'project.'

It seems like we are making a mountain out of a molehill. If it bothers you that much you should clarify in league rules who determines the new owner.

I don't think anyone is in an uproar about it. Someone made a thread and people are stating their opinions is all. Just because they don't agree doesn't mean they need to relax. After all, we're just wasting time until the draft anyway.

Here's the deal. I belong to a lot of audio and guitar forums. It's really very similar to this in a way. people have been there for a long time and become friends (and enemies). But if someone is selling something on the forum, it is a general rule, actually mandated on most forums, that you set an asking price. If you want to start a bidding war, yes....go to Ebay.

Thanks for the replies, didn't think this topic would get this much attention, but I guess it is a slow day for fantasy news. After reading the opinions, I just want to express my main thought when joining a dynasty league is that the owner plans to be there for the longhaul. That is my main concern. Whatever happens after that is out of a person's control, life problems may arise where an owner will need to sell or abandon his team. When an owner joins a dynasty league with the sole intention to sell/auction their team off as soon as possible, is my issue, but I can easily understand a person having a totally different view.

We don't have problem with someone paying standard league fees for a crappy bottom feeder team. It seems to me that by far the greatest problem is not people building great dynasties and then selling them for profit. After all, if the team is that good they could keep playing, win, and make a profit. The most common problem is someone running a team into the ground and then abandoning it. The league then has to find someone willing to take on a 'project.'It seems like we are making a mountain out of a molehill. If it bothers you that much you should clarify in league rules who determines the new owner.
Or the league could just tell the new "owner" to go take a flying leap.

Cassius said:
Apparently JPeso had a $350 bid on a team that would make him a $200 profit. :lmao:

Link

Looking at that again, I would expect to win the league with that team. The amount the original owner spent is completely unrelated to my profit. Only issue I would have would be whether or not it's okay with in the rules of the league and the commish - am I actually buying something or not? I would need confirmation.

Cassius said:
Apparently JPeso had a $350 bid on a team that would make him a $200 profit. :lmao:

Link

Looking at that again, I would expect to win the league with that team. The amount the original owner spent is completely unrelated to my profit. Only issue I would have would be whether or not it's okay with in the rules of the league and the commish - am I actually buying something or not? I would need confirmation.
It's not a total points league. No team is a good bet to win a H2H league.

This is just silly. Sounds like sour grapes to me. I say more power to anyone who can flip their team for a profit.

I play FF for two reasons. It's fun and to make money. Fantasy football, whether you want to believe it or not, is an investment.

The way I look at it is this....say a company (FF league) has 12 co-owners. They all have equal rights to ownership of the company. Each co-owner puts time and money into said company. Their money (league fee) goes in to keep the company running and their time/effort goes in to make the company (and in turn, their team) better. They may or may not see a ROI year to year. At some point, they feel their share of the company is worth more than the time they want to put into it, so they sell it to the highest bidder. They want a guaranteed ROI. Those outsiders bidding know the risks of buying into this company but understand that the possible rewards outweigh these costs due to the previous owner doing such a good job at building up that share of the company.

Now, unless these co-owners have a contract (league bylaws) that preclude them from selling their share of the company, I see nothing wrong with this.

We purchase things all the time (stocks, etc.) at a price that we hope appreciates in value. This is no different. I know we all want to believe this is middle school and we are still just having fun with friends, but that's not the case. This is a business and every league fee you pay is an investment.

Having said all of this....no chance I'd ever BUY a team. There is a sense of pride you feel when you build a successful team from scratch. Would I sell one? In a heartbeat.

I was in 20 dynasty leagues this off-season, but as I wanted to start my own fantasy venture, I felt it necessary to divest in some of those leagues where I felt my teams were very strong. The challenge was gone. I got bored.

If you look at the hours I put in to those teams, the "profit" I sold for was ridiculously low. Detesters are likely asking why I didn't keep the teams and try to win with them all instead of selling, but I can say from experience that 20 teams is very tough to maintain in terms of weekly lineups, waiver wire, and so forth. In a few leagues last season, I missed lineups and was fined actual money for it. I had too many leagues, and I'll be the first to admit that. The 10 teams I sold were all in terrific shape, and I would never leave a league in a bad place by abandoning a poor squad. I can say that isn't the case for many owners who are long-time frequenters of this board - as I have seen it done in many of the leagues I am in, year after year. That didn't happen here, nor will it happen. Will I add any new dynasties? No. I haven't done so this off-season despite many prominent FBG members soliciting me to join their leagues. I'm at my "sweet spot" now with 10 leagues and plan to stay in all of them. I've been asked whether or not I think it would be a profitable venture to draft teams to sell them two years later. I most certainly could make it profitable but won't be doing this.

In terms of the leagues that vote on new owners, obviously I wouldn't do this in these instances. I will also add that I took a lesser bid on almost all of the teams I have sold to fill the league with owners that I personally know to be solid owners. I'm not filling the leagues with deadbeats, guys who aren't active, and guys who aren't going to be an asset to a league. In some instances, I was asked by the commissioner to provide a reference from another commissioner before he allowed me to make the sale. A reference was then provided.

To Buckna who mentioned (and others who thought) that the owner buying is only in for the short-term, do you really believe this? Solid owners know that anything can happen in the playoffs, and typically the paper champion rarely wins. Do you really believe a guy is paying 5 times the buy-in for only 2 years in mind? That's silly. All the guys who took over my teams understand that the teams are virtual locks to be the division champion each year, but that they very well could lose every year in the playoffs. On the other hand, the team could win 2 out of 3 of those years and still have immense future value. I don't draft or build old teams that fall off. I've never had to rebuild. They are taking the risk that this team wins 1 out of 3 years, maintains value if they don't mess things up with poor trades, and wins the division money each season. I'm taking the risk that the team doesn't win 2 of the next 3 in order to have some time to focus on other aspects of the hobby.

I don't care if you sell them or not, but really you had no business being in 20 dynasty leagues to begin with. Are you that shortsighted, that you couldnt predict it would be unsustainable?

I don't care if you sell them or not, but really you had no business being in 20 dynasty leagues to begin with. Are you that shortsighted, that you couldnt predict it would be unsustainable?
Didn't I admit to that in the post above? The teams didn't suffer at all, I just want more time for other ventures. Thanks for the slap on the wrist after I already admitted to the fact though.

I was in 20 dynasty leagues this off-season, but as I wanted to start my own fantasy venture, I felt it necessary to divest in some of those leagues where I felt my teams were very strong. The challenge was gone. I got bored.

If you look at the hours I put in to those teams, the "profit" I sold for was ridiculously low. Detesters are likely asking why I didn't keep the teams and try to win with them all instead of selling, but I can say from experience that 20 teams is very tough to maintain in terms of weekly lineups, waiver wire, and so forth. In a few leagues last season, I missed lineups and was fined actual money for it. I had too many leagues, and I'll be the first to admit that. The 10 teams I sold were all in terrific shape, and I would never leave a league in a bad place by abandoning a poor squad. I can say that isn't the case for many owners who are long-time frequenters of this board - as I have seen it done in many of the leagues I am in, year after year. That didn't happen here, nor will it happen. Will I add any new dynasties? No. I haven't done so this off-season despite many prominent FBG members soliciting me to join their leagues. I'm at my "sweet spot" now with 10 leagues and plan to stay in all of them. I've been asked whether or not I think it would be a profitable venture to draft teams to sell them two years later. I most certainly could make it profitable but won't be doing this.

Thanx for chiming in Jpeso the above paragraph is a good explanation. I think the best thing i get out of that is He hasn't abandoned the not so good teams. Cant sell bad Teams obviously but instead of keeping the good ones and dropping the bad and hurting the league he sold his good ones and maintained his lesser ones.

Users who are viewing this thread