Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Sweet Science Thread***

To do what he just did to a guy who was undefeated in over 40 fights is nothing short of amazing. He made Wilder look like he belonged on an undercard.

I honestly thought this would go into the 11th or 12th with both hardly able to stand.

I have to believe they do another one of these in like 18 months.

• Like 1

Just now, Gawain said:

ESPN speculating that the punch that ruptured the ear drum wasn't legal and could serve as pretext to make it a trilogy. I want to see AJ, unite the belts.

oh boy.  that wouldnt shock me to hear that.  I blame bayless he really did a bad job keeping things under control. 

2 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

To do what he just did to a guy who was undefeated in over 40 fights is nothing short of amazing. He made Wilder look like he belonged on an undercard.

I honestly thought this would go into the 11th or 12th with both hardly able to stand.

I have to believe they do another one of these in like 18 months.

tbh it would have.  Hard to predict getting a punch that zaps your equilibrium.  A regular knockdown and he could shake that off in a round or two.  I think a third fight is definitely worth seeing. 

32 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

Yup. That was the fight. Whatever Wilder brought to the table was swept off and the fight was done early. Big props to Fury for landing it, but I feel like we didn't get the real Wilder.

Yep, Fury did it and earned this W. However, I think a rematch would be competitive and could go different. 

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yep, Fury did it and earned this W. However, I think a rematch would be competitive and could go different. 

I'm not sure I ever saw a cleaner and harder shot than what Wilder hit Breazeale with.

Something about Fury is giving him problems. Would be interesting to see if he can figure it out.

• Like 1

I dont know if the ruptured ear was the difference or not, but i noticed it like 3 rds before announcers mentioned it. Id have to think it was the difference though bc Wilder looked completely off, not shook by a punch or two, but way off the reservation. Gotta be a trilogy.

5 minutes ago, Gawain said:

I'm not sure I ever saw a cleaner and harder shot than what Wilder hit Breazeale with.

Something about Fury is giving him problems. Would be interesting to see if he can figure it out.

They are 2 for 2 on great fights so give me more!

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I dont know if the ruptured ear was the difference or not, but i noticed it like 3 rds before announcers mentioned it. Id have to think it was the difference though bc Wilder looked completely off, not shook by a punch or two, but way off the reservation. Gotta be a trilogy.

What round was the ear injury? Round 2? 

14 minutes ago, Penguin said:

yes

Yeah, I just don't think Wilder was ever able to establish anything since he was hurt so early. When Joshua lost, it was the same thing. He got caught by a good punch and never was right after that. That's a legit loss, but also it means a rematch can go very differently if that early damaging punch doesn't happen. 

Edited by Ilov80s

1 hour ago, Smack Tripper said:

I think he should stop it, Wilder could get himself killed.  Didn't Wilder's corner have an option of a no contest stoppage after 5 rounds for injury?

No. Injury was caused by a punch. So if Wilder quits because of said injury, he loses.

NC is an inadvertent injury (usually a headbutt) before four rounds are completed. If four or more rounds are completed, it goes to a technical decision.

TL;DR -- Wilder was screwed as soon as whatever happend to his ear happened.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Wilder looked like absolute #### after the first knockdown, if that's when the ear thing happened (Deas says it's a cut inside the ear). No zip on his punches, looked off-balance and listless. You see a lot of "equillibrium shots" where a boxer gets hit on the side of the head, goes down, but is usually fine afterwards. Whatever this was way worse, he never shook it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Wilder looked like absolute #### after the first knockdown, if that's when the ear thing happened (Deas says it's a cut inside the ear). No zip on his punches, looked off-balance and listless. You see a lot of "equillibrium shots" where a boxer gets hit on the side of the head, goes down, but is usually fine afterwards. Whatever this was way worse, he never shook it.

Exactly. This was not a great fight. It was not a good fight. It was a disappointing fight because Wilder was out of it from the sometime in the first round. If he outpointed Fury in the second, and I don't think he did, he did it on autopilot. Watching one man dominate a disabled man from the earliest rounds is not a good fight.

Edited by Chaos Commish

4 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

Exactly. This was not a great fight. It was not a good fight. It was a disappointing fight because Wilder was out of it from the sometime in the first round. If he outpointed Fury in the second, and I don't think he did, he did it on autopilot. Watching one man dominate a disabled man from the earliest rounds is not a good fight.

I thought wilder won the second :shrug: 

it’s boxing.  This stuff happens.  I’m seeing people go ham and i just don’t get it.  I don’t think this exposed wilder(maybe a touch coming towards wilder was good strategy).  He got hit and didn’t recover.  We saw the same With Joshua and what happened in the next fight?  Settle it with a third.  

if I’m fury, force wilder to fight Joshua and face the winner.  He can then get ready for that unification.  If wilder loses he has way more leverage for the trilogy and he should want one for legacy.  

either way i love the heavyweight division right now.  Fury is a beast and great tv.  I love it.  Wilder is no bum he will be back as well.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

I don't think Wilder deserves an immediate rematch.  First fight was a draw, and Tyson Fury just dismantled and outclassed him.  A trilogy fight would have been expected had it been 1-1 now.  Why should Fury have to beat him again, it wasn't even close.

Wilder has 30 days to invoke the rematch clause. And he definitely deserves one.  I don’t think he was outclassed but he was beat the #### up.  Had fury done This without wilders equilibrium being killed then I’d agree but that wasn’t a 100% wilder at that point.  After that first knock down it was basically over.  Think about the Joshua fight.  Same thing.  Not to mention it was wilders first loss.  He is not a bum and the first fight was a draw.  And he stands a chance against fury or Joshua.  Why wouldn’t we want to see it settled definitively?  That’s the whole point of doing a third. 

now I’d prefer to see fury fight Joshua first and then wilder face the winner or force wilder to fight Joshua and then winner faces fury.  But my guess is they will do the trilogy.  And it will be a great fight.  We have three great heavyweights let’s enjoy this!

2 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Wilder has 30 days to invoke the rematch clause. And he definitely deserves one.  I don’t think he was outclassed but he was beat the #### up.  Had fury done This without wilders equilibrium being killed then I’d agree but that wasn’t a 100% wilder at that point.  After that first knock down it was basically over.  Think about the Joshua fight.  Same thing.  Not to mention it was wilders first loss.  He is not a bum and the first fight was a draw.  And he stands a chance against fury or Joshua.  Why wouldn’t we want to see it settled definitively?  That’s the whole point of doing a third. 

now I’d prefer to see fury fight Joshua first and then wilder face the winner or force wilder to fight Joshua and then winner faces fury.  But my guess is they will do the trilogy.  And it will be a great fight.  We have three great heavyweights let’s enjoy this!

I wouldn't mind seeing it again in the future just not immediate rematch.  I'd rather see Fury position for AJ, but boxing politics probably won't let that happen.  Ruiz / AJ is 1&1, that's the rematch.  If that doesn't work out wilder vs Ruiz, but again boxing politics.

9 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

I’ve been kind of out of the loop on boxing for a while. When did “if not for that punch that totally obliterated him...” become a go-to defense people started using?

Where did i defend the loss?   My point was he wasn’t outclassed. That’s all.  Fury landed the punch and beat him up.  Just didn’t see anything that said we shouldn’t see the trilogy. Those types of shots where you literally have no balance and don’t recover are pretty rare.  It wasn’t a huge punch either.  And again we have the first fight which showed they were even.  So again my point is there should be a third. Fury would be the huge favorite for sure.  

Edited by PinkydaPimp

9 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

That punch that blew his ear up ended it. You can’t fight without your equilibrium.

yep,  he could barely stand after that.  that sort of punch to the top or side of the head for some people is the end.  Floyd Patterson was like that.  

2 hours ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

I don't think Wilder deserves an immediate rematch.  First fight was a draw, and Tyson Fury just dismantled and outclassed him.  A trilogy fight would have been expected had it been 1-1 now.  Why should Fury have to beat him again, it wasn't even close.

He doesn't have to fight him, but is there a bigger fight to be made in the game right now?  This fight crossed over like few have in a while, Fury became a star last night but there's legit claims to a rematch.  

That said, I wouldn't do it for a year.  

8 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I'm not sure why. Seems to me Fury has dominated Wilder nearly every round. If this goes to a rematch you will just see the same thing, the boxer out boxing the puncher.  Just so happens that the boxer is the much larger person. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

He doesn't have to fight him, but is there a bigger fight to be made in the game right now?  This fight crossed over like few have in a while, Fury became a star last night but there's legit claims to a rematch.  

That said, I wouldn't do it for a year.  

Fury Joshua may be bigger.

15 minutes ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Is Wilder using the equilibrium as an excuse?  I'm not doubting it, but was wondering if his camp is saying that.

I don’t think they are.  They did say something about his legs coming into it but not the whole equilibrium thing. Can’t really predict that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fissure man said:

I'm not sure why. Seems to me Fury has dominated Wilder nearly every round. If this goes to a rematch you will just see the same thing, the boxer out boxing the puncher.  Just so happens that the boxer is the much larger person. 

The shot that blew out his ear happened early in the fight and Wilder had no balance the rest of the way- all he could was back into the ropes and lean on them to stay up. He couldn't really plant and throw any meaningful punches. Tyson, Ali, nobody can fight without their balance.

I had it even after 2 rounds before the ear injury. The first fight Wilder dropped him twice, including the famous 12th round knockdown which Fury incredibly got up from. IMO, there is plenty of room for things to shape up differently if they meet again. 

2 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

I’ve been kind of out of the loop on boxing for a while. When did “if not for that punch that totally obliterated him...” become a go-to defense people started using?

Sounds like those guys that say: if you take away that one long run the RB had his ypc average sucked. 

Excellent performance by Fury. Was on Wilder from the opening bell. Used his jab and reach beautifully.

Wilder was either gassed/and or injured from round 3 onward.

Wilder's huge knockout power has overshadowed his limited fighting abilities (no much jab, very limited defensively but hammer right hand).

With two fights in the bag now, safe to say that Fury has won 75% of the rounds in both fights, if not more.

Would love to see Fury/Joshua in England before part three of Fury/Wilder.

1 minute ago, brianj74 said:

Excellent performance by Fury. Was on Wilder from the opening bell. Used his jab and reach beautifully.

Wilder was either gassed/and or injured from round 3 onward.

Wilder's huge knockout power has overshadowed his limited fighting abilities (no much jab, very limited defensively but hammer right hand).

With two fights in the bag now, safe to say that Fury has won 75% of the rounds in both fights, if not more.

Would love to see Fury/Joshua in England before part three of Fury/Wilder.

Would be one of the biggest sporting events in the history of the UK. I expect it happens before the year is over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Is Wilder using the equilibrium as an excuse?  I'm not doubting it, but was wondering if his camp is saying that.

I haven't heard that from him, nor have I seen it confirmed that his ear drum was ruptured.  There was blood coming from his ear, but it was described as a "cut."  It sure looked odd, like he'd lost his mojo in a big way from about the 3rd round on, but I'd expect getting repeatedly pounded on the head by a huge bald gypsy can also have a negative effect on one's equilibrium.

2 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I haven't heard that from him, nor have I seen it confirmed that his ear drum was ruptured.  There was blood coming from his ear, but it was described as a "cut."  It sure looked odd, like he'd lost his mojo in a big way from about the 3rd round on, but I'd expect getting repeatedly pounded on the head by a huge bald gypsy can also have a negative effect on one's equilibrium.

Fury put the pace on him. Imo the equilibrium is just an excuse at this point, that's why I'm curious if anyone in his camp / medical professional can confirm that was the reason he looked off.

6 hours ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Fury put the pace on him. Imo the equilibrium is just an excuse at this point, that's why I'm curious if anyone in his camp / medical professional can confirm that was the reason he looked off.

I'm not a medical professional, but he looked like #### after Fury hit him with a right to his left ear 30 seconds into the third round. From that point on he was unsteady, defended himself terribly, and didn't hit Fury with any meaningful punches that I can recall. But that's no an excuse, Fury caused it with his punch, and Wilder got hit by that punch because he put himself in woeful defensive position backing up.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

I'm not a medical professional, but he looked like #### after Fury hit him with a right to his left ear 30 seconds into the third round. From that point on he was unsteady, defended himself terribly, and didn't hit Fury with any meaningful punches that I can recall. But that's no an excuse, Fury caused it with his punch, and Wilder got hit by that punch because he put himself in woeful defensive position backing up.

Similar to the first Joshua-Ruiz fight. Joshua got caught early with a clean lunch and was never right after that. The whole rest of the fight with him getting beaten up was likely due to his inability to recover from the early punch.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Similar to the first Joshua-Ruiz fight. Joshua got caught early with a clean lunch and was never right after that. The whole rest of the fight with him getting beaten up was likely due to his inability to recover from the early punch.

Also initial clonk came in the third, fight was stopped in the seventh in each. Mildly spooky.

• Like 1

• Kenny Powers changed the title to ***Official Sweet Science Thread***