What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (5 Viewers)

"First of all, I want to thank God, I want to thank Top Rank/Golden Boy for giving me this opportunity, I want to thank Al Haymon, and the great people of <insert city here> for coming out to support me tonight."

- every boxer ever

Kinda surprised Thurman got the knockdown with that left to the body. Didn't even land flush.
The straight right that landed on Chaves forehead that KO'd him isnt a typical place you see a KO either. Obviously the guy has power.

Sort of surprising how quickly it turned around. I thought Thurman really turned it around in Rounds 4-6 but Chaves was coming back in the 7th & 8th. I had it tied after 8, I had a feeling Thurman would come out on top one way or another though.

"First of all, I want to thank God, I want to thank Top Rank/Golden Boy for giving me this opportunity, I want to thank Al Haymon, and the great people of <insert city here> for coming out to support me tonight."

- every boxer ever
Most guys who win know what city theyre in though :lmao:

Stay Classy, San Antonio

Reminiscent of Bradley/Provodnikov.....lopsided but exciting with 1 overmatched fighter giving it his all. Credit to Arakawa for this battle.

Reminiscent of Bradley/Provodnikov.....lopsided but exciting with 1 overmatched fighter giving it his all. Credit to Arakawa for this battle.
I have to disagree there as Bradkey was almost KO'd multiple times early and late in that fight. Bradley was out on his feet much of that fight as he ate monstrous shots. This is more lopsided, esoecially as it became clear that Omar isn't going to wilt.

Good night for the squared circle...been a lot of those lately...boxing is definitely coming back...the talent and match ups are world class

I have to disagree there as Bradkey was almost KO'd multiple times early and late in that fight. Bradley was out on his feet much of that fight as he ate monstrous shots. This is more lopsided, esoecially as it became clear that Omar isn't going to wilt.
True, I agree that the Bradley fight was much closer. Still, though, ended up a UD.

True, I agree that the Bradley fight was much closer. Still, though, ended up a UD.
Lots of similarities for sure. Both are definitely potential fights of the year. That was just crazy crazy crazy #### right there.BK just best summarized it, "too savage." Good luck to Berto and Soto Karass trying to follow that up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ilov80s said:
Steve Tasker said:
While both were great fights, IMO they were for different reasons. Bradley was a big favorite, IIRC, and like you said looked like he was done multiple times in the first couple rounds. However he dominated the rest of the fight until the end. The fight tonight, while Omar had a couple KD's, it was constant action from both fighters, and while it looked like Figueroa was always in the lead, Arakawa was relentless. Even in the last few rounds I wasnt sure if Omar was going to pull it off.

As far as fight of the year? I think thats more difficult to decide. This was action throughout, Bradley/Provodnikov wasnt quite the same, but more of a heart of a champion type of fight. Id lean towards Bradley as fight of the year but this was a fun fight start to finish.

Even being in the impossible spot of following the war, Berto-JSK is outstanding so far, someone is getting KTFO here.

I wish we couldve saw this fight even strength. Hard to know Berto's future, but this couldve been on the same pace as the first couple fights tonight if Berto didnt get hurt

I wish we couldve saw this fight even strength. Hard to know Berto's future, but this couldve been on the same pace as the first couple fights tonight if Berto didnt get hurt
I will watch Berto fight anyone, anytime, but he is not a championship level fighter anymore. He looks shot to me.

I will watch Berto fight anyone, anytime, but he is not a championship level fighter anymore. He looks shot to me.
To me, this fight was sort of the decision on how I thought about Berto going forward. Considering he got hurt, and I believe it, I cant say at this point. He isnt PBF or Pacman quality, but I can see him hanging around as a contender if not belt holder if he's healthy in the division. I wouldnt be surprised if he becomes a welterweight gatekeeper a year or 2 from now, but if he's healthy I think he is better than that.

The cool thing about bo

BustedKnuckles said:
Good night for the squared circle...been a lot of those lately...boxing is definitely coming back...the talent and match ups are world class
2013 has been great so far, one of the best years in recent memory and it's only half way through. The fall lineup (on paper) looks to be even stronger:

-Floyd v Canelo

-Manny v Rios

- Garcia v Matthysse

- Bradley v JMM

- Alvarado v Provodnikov

- Haye v Fury

The cool thing about bo

BustedKnuckles said:
2013 has been great so far, one of the best years in recent memory and it's only half way through. The fall lineup (on paper) looks to be even stronger:

-Floyd v Canelo

-Manny v Rios

- Garcia v Matthysse

- Bradley v JMM

- Alvarado v Provodnikov

- Haye v Fury
This is what happens when boxing rids itself of parasites like Don King...Golden boy promotions is a class act

The cool thing about bo

BustedKnuckles said:

-Floyd v Canelo

-Manny v Rios

- Garcia v Matthysse

- Bradley v JMM

- Alvarado v Provodnikov

- Haye v Fury
This is what happens when boxing rids itself of parasites like Don King...Golden boy promotions is a class act
It's a shame GB/Showtime and TR/HBO won't work with each other, but the competition between them outside of the ring is creating great fights, even if those fights are mostly in house guys.

My God...this Arakawa/Figeroa bout is just amazing...wow.

I'm so impressed with Arakawa's heart and chin...and completely surprised to see him standing after so many powerful body shots and those head shots that continually snapped his head all the way around...but he just kept coming...pawing and punching.

Beautiful...absolutely beautiful. These two created a masterpiece.

I'm so impressed with Arakawa's heart and chin...and completely surprised to see him standing after so many powerful body shots and those head shots that continually snapped his head all the way around...but he just kept coming...pawing and punching.

Gotta figure that Figeroa won't be able to hang in there with someone that has any kind of power and a decent chin. He has no defense whatsoever

Gotta figure that Figeroa won't be able to hang in there with someone that has any kind of power and a decent chin. He has no defense whatsoever
However, there isn't another guy at lightweight that would have survived the shots Arakawa took in the first 3 rounds.

Ilov80s said:
Penguin said:
tdoss said:

However, there isn't another guy at lightweight that would have survived the shots Arakawa took in the first 3 rounds.
Agreed, plus maybe Figueroa has a good chin himself.

Figueroa was on the ropes way too much that fight though, he has to be smarter in that sense if not to be better defensively overall.

Curtis Stevens wants a shot at Golovkin. I don't think there's a more explosive matchup in boxing, the level of power is scary there. Check out this Curtis Stevens KO from Saturday, it is as devastating a 1 shot KO as you will see this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzFnyD-ysI

Users who are viewing this thread