Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Sweet Science Thread***

I'm thinking of betting mayweather +567 wins inside distance. I could see alverez tiring late and mayweather ending it.

If Mayweather stops Canelo, then I am putting him in the top 5 all time. It would be nuts and wildly impressive.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of betting mayweather +567 wins inside distance. I could see alverez tiring late and mayweather ending it.

If Mayweather stops Canelo, then I am putting him in the top 5 all time. It would be nuts and wildly impressive.

Mayweather doesn't stop anyone. (Ortiz debacle aside) I would have to agree, though, So juiced for this.

Mayweather doesn't stop anyone. (Ortiz debacle aside) I would have to agree, though, So juiced for this.

Right, he stopped Marquez a couple years ago. JMM is about 30 pounds lighter than Canelo though.

If Canelo has stamina, it's his match to win. I am by no means a boxing expert, but if he can lay wood like he does for 12 rounds, even the mighty Floyd goes down.

:yes:

That part will be interesting. Canelo usually starts slow and becomes stronger as the fight wears on (think like an NFL power-back like Earl Camplbell or Jerome Bettis).The problem is you can't afford to give away rounds against Mayweather.

I admittedly have not seen cannello fight except the trout fight. But may wether is one of the 10 best fighters of all time in 100 years of boxing. He may be past his prime but not by much. Maybe some of you guys are right and cannello has the goods to beat him, but I would be shocked.

Hopefully the fights end up better than this Bama-AM game, talk about not living up to the hype.

Just setting it up for an epic Johnny Football comeback

I hope you are right. It looked Bama was pulling away, but we might get a close finish after all.

I admittedly have not seen cannello fight except the trout fight. But may wether is one of the 10 best fighters of all time in 100 years of boxing. He may be past his prime but not by much. Maybe some of you guys are right and cannello has the goods to beat him, but I would be shocked.

Oh I think Floyd wins and I'm going to put a few bills on him, but Canelo should be tough.

Oh I think Floyd wins and I'm going to put a few bills on him, but Canelo should be tough.

I'm all for not betting against Pretty Boy Floyd, but at some point age has to catch up to him. Its inevitable. This is the first time I've seriously considered it. I haven't followed boxing regularly since the 90's but I do catch on the big names....seems like now is as good a time as any for Floyd to lose one. Either way I'm hoping this is a damn good fight.

I'm all for not betting against Pretty Boy Floyd, but at some point age has to catch up to him. Its inevitable. This is the first time I've seriously considered it. I haven't followed boxing regularly since the 90's but I do catch on the big names....seems like now is as good a time as any for Floyd to lose one. Either way I'm hoping this is a damn good fight.
I have bet on Floyd in almost every fight he has been in dating back to Gatti. The last few years Floyd has been 600 to 1000 favorite. Getting him at 270 is too good to pass up. Although, I thought the same thing about Donaire against Rigondeaux and that backfired. For me, the line is just too good to pass up for me. On the other end, the odds for Canelo aren't juicy enough to bet against May.

ETA: if you like boxing, this is a good time to get back into it. The last 18 months have been maybe the best boxing I can remember and this fall has a crazy lineup of fights.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

I don't think there is any reason to believe he has lost a step.

If anyone is thinking about getting the PPV, I read if you get the HD PPV, you get Showtime free for 3 months.

What? Seriously?

Check with your cable provider. I know Comcast has it for sure. In think its a deal Showtime is doing. I always have Show, now am getting a 3 month credit for the order. Edited by Ilov80s

People still buy PPVs these days? I'll admit, if there was one Id buy its this one for not only the main event but the undercard, but there's so many streaming sites these days there is no way I'll be missing the fight if I dont buy it, which I couldnt say even a few years ago.

People still buy PPVs these days? I'll admit, if there was one Id buy its this one for not only the main event but the undercard, but there's so many streaming sites these days there is no way I'll be missing the fight if I dont buy it, which I couldnt say even a few years ago.

have a bunch of peeps comin over...5 bucks a head...food ...beer ...good times

Same here. Plus, I am a big boxing fan, it's my favorite sport so I have no problem supporting it.

Yep. $10 here. Nothing better than a "big time" fight. Already warned the neighbors.

I'm not really a boxing fan, but the fight tonight has got me curious enough to look up some Mayweather and Canelo fights on Youtube.

In the Ortiz fight... is the general thinking that if you're going to launch a full on cheap shot headbutt in the corner you'd better be ready with your hands up when the ref restarts the fight? i.e. that Ortiz pretty much had that coming?

And if this is something that's going to trainwreck the topic, someone just say so and we'll move on.

That was my feeling...always protect yourself and the ref legally restarted the fight...there's no reason Ortiz should've have been ready especially after cheapshot headbutt...you gotta know your opponent is pissed and wants to pop you.

Somebody said they expect Canelo to be at 170 by tomorrow. Crazy how these guys make weight.

Seriously, he weighed in at 152 today??

Maybe I misheard?

No, you are right. He weighed in at 152 on the nose. He will be up to 165-170 by fight time. Floyd was 150 and will be about the same. That's one of Saul's major advantages, he is young and is able to yo-yo his weight quite a bit. This is pretty normal procedure for him and other younger guys. Now Floyd got him to fight 2 lbs under his usual 154. Will he that make a difference? Will Canelo be a little weight drained? It's possible. He has spent the last couple weeks cutting weight and at the weigh in he didnt lol gaunt, but he didn't have another ounce to lose.

Either way, that can't be healthy.

Gaining 12-15 between weigh-in and fight is no big deal...a great deal of fighters do it.

Canelo getting down to that catch-weight in the first place was the real conflict...although, it looks like he did it with no issues.

Problem is...he'll be dehydrated and tire out late. I think he knows he's got the first six rounds to make something happen and do as much damage as possible before he starts to drain.

That isn't Canelo's style. He has been a slow starter for much of his career. As a matter of fact for a 23 year old, one of his greatest strengths is his patience. He doesn't come in winging wild shots looking to quickly beat his opponents. He slowly works to cut the ring off, press his opponents into the ropes and rip off combinations. People here are calling him a slow footed plodder and that just isn't true. He doesn't bounce around a lot, but he has excellent footwork and balance. He gets in and out well and is always in position to punch. He is not just a big strong mauler, he really is a boxing prodigy. I have seen his last 6 or 7 fights and every single fight, he has improved leaps and bounds. Everytime out, he shows some new wrinkles to his game. The Trout fight was especially impressive because Trout is one of the best defensive fighters out there and Canelo was able to beat him up pretty well.

Agreed...I'm not sure why most are considering this a cakewalk. Canelo is a very gifted powerful fighter.

He has heavier feet than Floyd...but doesn't everybody? His feet are always in position for a great power shot though...he can really crank on a shot.

I keep trying to tell people he's gonna catch Floyd once or twice and it's not gonna be pretty. If he can be patient...maybe he's got a shot but I think he'll tire late from having to stalk Floyd all night. I can't see Floyd standing toe to toe with Canelo like he did last fight...at least, not until very late when Canelo is gassed.

Somebody said they expect Canelo to be at 170 by tomorrow. Crazy how these guys make weight.

Seriously, he weighed in at 152 today??

Maybe I misheard?
No, you are right. He weighed in at 152 on the nose. He will be up to 165-170 by fight time. Floyd was 150 and will be about the same. That's one of Saul's major advantages, he is young and is able to yo-yo his weight quite a bit. This is pretty normal procedure for him and other younger guys. Now Floyd got him to fight 2 lbs under his usual 154. Will he that make a difference? Will Canelo be a little weight drained? It's possible. He has spent the last couple weeks cutting weight and at the weigh in he didnt lol gaunt, but he didn't have another ounce to lose.

Either way, that can't be healthy.

Gaining 12-15 between weigh-in and fight is no big deal...a great deal of fighters do it.

Canelo getting down to that catch-weight in the first place was the real conflict...although, it looks like he did it with no issues.

Problem is...he'll be dehydrated and tire out late. I think he knows he's got the first six rounds to make something happen and do as much damage as possible before he starts to drain.

That isn't Canelo's style. He has been a slow starter for much of his career. As a matter of fact for a 23 year old, one of his greatest strengths is his patience. He doesn't come in winging wild shots looking to quickly beat his opponents. He slowly works to cut the ring off, press his opponents into the ropes and rip off combinations. People here are calling him a slow footed plodder and that just isn't true. He doesn't bounce around a lot, but he has excellent footwork and balance. He gets in and out well and is always in position to punch. He is not just a big strong mauler, he really is a boxing prodigy. I have seen his last 6 or 7 fights and every single fight, he has improved leaps and bounds. Everytime out, he shows some new wrinkles to his game. The Trout fight was especially impressive because Trout is one of the best defensive fighters out there and Canelo was able to beat him up pretty well.

Agreed...I'm not sure why most are considering this a cakewalk. Canelo is a very gifted powerful fighter.

He has heavier feet than Floyd...but doesn't everybody? His feet are always in position for a great power shot though...he can really crank on a shot.

I keep trying to tell people he's gonna catch Floyd once or twice and it's not gonna be pretty. If he can be patient...maybe he's got a shot but I think he'll tire late from having to stalk Floyd all night. I can't see Floyd standing toe to toe with Canelo like he did last fight...at least, not until very late when Canelo is gassed.

Saul's jab really impressed me against Trout, I'll be curious to see if he has further developed that and can use it effectively against Floyd.

Around what time do you guys think the main event should start?

11:30 Eastern. I wouldn't miss the co feature though. It is likely about 10:30 and is the second biggest fight of the year.

Edited by Ilov80s

• Kenny Powers changed the title to ***Official Sweet Science Thread***