What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Tim - the sport you are seeking doesn't exist. Well, it does, but it's young guys looking to make a name. The upper echelon fighters are tacticians and while knockouts still happen, the beauty of the sport is the sport as it was intended long ago: scoring punches, not scoring damage.
I know. I don't blame the fighters. Certainly not Mayweather; he's magnificent. But it's just not fun to watch for me.
As always...please find the door...carry your @zz and see your way out of this thread.

You can act like you know everything all day long until you bring your bullsiht into a boxing thread.

Move along.
Whatever. I never said I know everything. I certainly don't know much of anything about boxing; as I wrote, I'm just a casual fan. But I'll keep posting so long as I feel like it. You're welcome to leave the thread if that displeases you.

Imagine the Miami heat went. 82-0 and then swept the playoffs...

While they were doing this, instead of fast break alley-ooping 360ing behind the back, they were just shooting mid range jump shots this entire season.

That's Floyd - the best, unbeatable, boring, & hateable
that's a pretty poor analogy
Efficient, unstoppable, boring - where is the disconnect?
How about an NFL team which runs the single-wing, wins T.O.P. 40:00-20:00 every week and wins 14-3.

That's Floyd.

While they were doing this, instead of fast break alley-ooping 360ing behind the back, they were just shooting mid range jump shots this entire season.

How about an NFL team which runs the single-wing, wins T.O.P. 40:00-20:00 every week and wins 14-3.

That's Floyd.
A no hitter pitched by someone like Tom Glavine

How about an NFL team which runs the single-wing, wins T.O.P. 40:00-20:00 every week and wins 14-3.That's Floyd.
More like 12-0, but yea you get the idea lol

How about an NFL team which runs the single-wing, wins T.O.P. 40:00-20:00 every week and wins 14-3.That's Floyd.
That's a great analogy. Add in that they never turn to ball over and they have Revis, Deion, Ed Reed, and Darrel green in the defensive backfield so you never complete a long pass.

Tim - the sport you are seeking doesn't exist. Well, it does, but it's young guys looking to make a name. The upper echelon fighters are tacticians and while knockouts still happen, the beauty of the sport is the sport as it was intended long ago: scoring punches, not scoring damage.
I know. I don't blame the fighters. Certainly not Mayweather; he's magnificent. But it's just not fun to watch for me.
As always...please find the door...carry your @zz and see your way out of this thread.

You can act like you know everything all day long until you bring your bullsiht into a boxing thread.

Move along.
Whatever. I never said I know everything. I certainly don't know much of anything about boxing; as I wrote, I'm just a casual fan. But I'll keep posting so long as I feel like it. You're welcome to leave the thread if that displeases you.
If it's not fun for you, why post about this fight? It's not like Mayweather's a knockout artist who decided to dance around for 12 rounds instead of going in for the kill. This is what he does.

I think defense is only exciting when it's someone you're rooting for already. If you're a Floyd Mayweather fan, or if you were a fan of the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, or Alabama football last year, you're going to love defense and you're going to be entertained.

But if you have no special rooting interest and you're simply looking to be entertained by a sporting event, you're much more likely to want to see offense. The Oregon Ducks aren't nearly as good a team as Alabama IMO, but they are far more entertaining. Mayweather may very well be the best pound for pound fighter ever, but his fights are also the most dull.

I think defense is only exciting when it's someone you're rooting for already. If you're a Floyd Mayweather fan, or if you were a fan of the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, or Alabama football last year, you're going to love defense and you're going to be entertained.

But if you have no special rooting interest and you're simply looking to be entertained by a sporting event, you're much more likely to want to see offense. The Oregon Ducks aren't nearly as good a team as Alabama IMO, but they are far more entertaining. Mayweather may very well be the best pound for pound fighter ever, but his fights are also the most dull.
Scintillating analysis as always.

Scintillating analysis as always.
Thanks. Going to bed, good night!

You know what I think is boring? The Big Bang Theory. Know how many posts I have in the Big Bang Theory thread? El Zilch-o.

I think defense is only exciting when it's someone I'm rooting for already. If I'm a Floyd Mayweather fan, or if I was a fan of the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, or Alabama football last year, I'm going to love defense and I'm going to be entertained.

But if I have no special rooting interest and I'm simply looking to be entertained by a sporting event, I'm much more likely to want to see offense. The Oregon Ducks aren't nearly as good a team as Alabama IMO, but they are far more entertaining. Mayweather may very well be the best pound for pound fighter ever, but his fights are also the most dull.
Fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

You know what I think is boring? The Big Bang Theory. Know how many posts I have in the Big Bang Theory thread? El Zilch-o.
Pretty sure I have a sarcastic one in there. Probably ripping on Psycho Kev for being psycho and having terrible taste in everything.

Pretty sure I have a sarcastic one in there. Probably ripping on Psycho Kev for being psycho and having terrible taste in everything.
I think I have a post in this year's iteration of the Lakers thread, calling them all jerk-offs. But c'mon, they're asking for it.

I don't understand this from you. When I watch sports I am excited to see excellence. When I watched Pedro in his prime Or maddux I was totally cool with 2-0 or 1-0 games. Same with football - great defense is as much fun as great offense because of the remote chance it will falter. Add in that defense is reactive and it's that much more difficult.

I think defense is only exciting when it's someone I'm rooting for already. If I'm a Floyd Mayweather fan, or if I was a fan of theGood point, fIE Baltimore Ravens in 2000, or Alabama football last year, I'm going to love defense and I'm going to be entertained.

But if I have no special rooting interest and I'm simply looking to be entertained by a sporting event, I'm much more likely to want to see offense. The Oregon Ducks aren't nearly as good a team as Alabama IMO, but they are far more entertaining. Mayweather may very well be the best pound for pound fighter ever, but his fights are also the most dull.
Fixed
Good point; fair enough.

Hope Garcia gets his crack at Mayweather next. Certainly earned tonight.
Boring. Broner, please.
I think Broner might be the guy. Its a step up in weight, but I think he's fighting under where he should at this point.
Broner fought Paulie at 147. That's pretty close in weight.

He didn't put Malignaggi away. Mayweather is even harder to hit and hits harder. Broner can talk #### though so the 24/7 would be entertaining.

Timscrotch: "respond to me please...I'm so lonely...I'll say anything whatsoever just so someone will respond...please listen to me."

Some may not appreciate Floyd, but he is one of the greatest boxers of all time. He out every reason on display tonight. He is a once in a generation type ATHLETE.

I also don't understand why you guys are giving Tim so much sh-t. This is a general boxing thread.... not a Mayweather-suckups-only thread. He's entitled to his opinion, even if you disagree with it.

I also don't understand why you guys are giving Tim so much sh-t. This is a general boxing thread.... not a Mayweather-suckups-only thread. He's entitled to his opinion, even if you disagree with it.
People just like to go after Tim because Tim enjoys having a dissenting opinion.

The thread is about boxing, but the current subject is Mayweather/Alvarez.

I'm sure I have some sort of opinion on every thread on FBG, but someone who posts in every thread would be an assface.

The thread is about boxing, but the current subject is Mayweather/Alvarez.

I'm sure I have some sort of opinion on every thread on FBG, but someone who posts in every thread would be an assface.
What is the optimal curvature of the bill of a baseball cap with a gigantic TBE on it?

Who is next? Garcia? No way he beats Floyd. The only thing he has going for him is this weird mojo because he is usually the underdog, but always does so much more than you expect.

LAS VEGAS — Three thoughts on Floyd Mayweather’s majority decision win over Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez:

This was a blowout:

Judge C.J. Ross–the same C.J. Ross who scored Manny Pacquiao-Tim Bradley for Bradley last year–inexplicably scored the fight a draw, 114-114. This wasn’t even close. For 12 rounds, Mayweather put on a boxing clinic. He ricocheted his jab off of Alvarez’s head repeatedly, snapping it back as Canelo made no effort to move out of the way. Though Canelo was the aggressor, it was Mayweather landing the cleaner, harder shots all night. According to SHOSTATS, Mayweather landed 232 of his 505 punches (compared to 117 for 526 for Canelo) and connected on 139 of his 330 jabs (44 of 294 for Canelo). Mayweather never appeared to be in trouble and never appeared tired, while Canelo fought with his hands down in the later rounds and was rooted to the mat when Mayweather pushed him to the corner. Credit Canelo for taking so many clean shots, but that’s about the only thing for which you can credit him.

“I couldn’t connect [with] him,” Alvarez said. “He is very elusive and intelligent. He has a lot of experience and I honestly couldn’t find him. The late rounds, I felt frustrated. I recognize that he beat me. He is a great fighter.”

This was also predictable:

This isn’t Monday morning quarterbacking; I’ve been writing for weeks that Canelo was out of his depth. As much potential as Canelo shows, he is still 23 with one quality win (over Austin Trout) on his resume. He doesn’t have the experience to adjust when Mayweather takes him out of his game and clearly doesn’t have the speed to keep up with him. The more frustrated Canelo got, the more he fell apart, hitting Mayweather with low blows and showing a noticeable lack of poise in the ring.

That shouldn’t diminish Mayweather’s victory, of course. This was the fight for which everyone clamored, a fight that set a record for a live gate ($20 million) and has a chance to break the all-time record for pay-per-view revenue and buys. Mayweather moved up in weight and accepted a legitimate challenge. But though Canelo may still develop into the star that Golden Boy Promotions hope he is, he is a long way from it.

There is no one that can beat Floyd Mayweather:

With Manny Pacquiao diminished–and face it, we were never getting that fight anyway–Mayweather stands alone. Yes, some corners will scream for Mayweather to fight Gennady Golovkin or Sergio Martinez, but those fights aren’t happening and, frankly, there is no need for them. Because how big do you want Mayweather’s opponents to be? He’s likely headed back to the 147-pound division, where no one can touch him. Danny Garcia–who pulled yet another upset with a decision win over Lucas Matthysse–doesn’t have the speed to hang with him. Amir Khan has looked terrible as a welterweight. Adrien Broner is too raw, too hittable, and he and Mayweather are friends anyway.

As Mayweather cruises into (presumably) the final four fights of his professional career, there is no one that looms as a serious threat to him.

Said Mayweather: “I’m still going strong.”

Users who are viewing this thread