Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Sweet Science Thread***

HBO and Showtime with fights tonight. Bradley, Alexander, Khan, Mares, Thuman and more on the cards. Over the last few years, the night of the Heisman have featured some exciting fights. Can that odd correlation continue?

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

The Bena v Herrera fight is big for boxing. Bena is a big Golden Boy prospect and Herrera is an Arum Top Rank fighter (beat Danny Garcia in Puerto Rico despite what the judges said). These sides are starting to come together which is good for boxing. Oscar is sitting with Arum despite having a Golden Boy card down the street at the MGM.

As a Detroiter and Irish-American, I love Andy Lee. He lived in Corktown with Emmanuel Steward for a long time, I hope he can rejuvenate his career tonight.

Eta: #### yes!!!

Edited by Ilov80s

This khan alexander fight is outstanding thus far. :popcorn: Might have to disappear to avoid spoilers.

Two of the quickest fighters out there. Khan might be the best boxer in the world. He just has no chin at all. Edited by Ilov80s

Andre Dirrell looking like OG pre-Abraham cheap shot Dirrell tonight

not sure what to think about Stevenson fight, guessing he rolls, never heard of dude he's fighting.

Dirrell looked really good tonight, but his opponent didn't seem very interested in doing anything but holding until the last round. Stevenson is vicious. I really hope we get him against Kovalev. That's one of the two or three most interesting fights to be made. Who do you like there?

And Arum strikes again:

"Within hours of Mayweathers challenge, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said May 2 would not work. Arum, who represents Pacquiao and has repeatedly called for Mayweather to get in the ring, was planning on staging a May 2 HBO PPV fight between Canelo Alvarez and Miguel Cotto."

And Arum strikes again:

"Within hours of Mayweathers challenge, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said May 2 would not work. Arum, who represents Pacquiao and has repeatedly called for Mayweather to get in the ring, was planning on staging a May 2 HBO PPV fight between Canelo Alvarez and Miguel Cotto."

To be fair this fight was on the books prior to mayweather saying he wanted to fight on this date.

• Like 1

And Arum strikes again:

To be fair this fight was on the books prior to mayweather saying he wanted to fight on this date.
Yeah, of all the days of the year, Floyd picks the one Saturday that won't work.
  • Like 1

And Arum strikes again:

So we're now going to just straight up lie in order to dog on Mayweather now? Reality and truth are no longer our boundaries in this fanaticism of Pacquiao?

"Proposed" does not in any way equal...what did you call it "on the books"?

And Arum strikes again:

Yeah, of all the days of the year, Floyd picks the one Saturday that won't work.

Yes...you're right. Mayweather has only fought on that weekend four out of the last seven of his fights.

Might wanna pick PacMan's jock out of your teeth.

Edited by tdoss

And Arum strikes again:

Yes...you're right. Mayweather has only fought on that weekend four out of the last seven of his fights.

stop being a tool...you sound like Mayweather

And Arum strikes again:

I like both fighters. Each have their own guit in the fight not happening. Relax.

Special Saturday edition of Showbox starting at 10 on Showtime Extreme. I'm not to familiar with anyone, but will check it out. The program does a good job finding up and comers.

Edited by Ilov80s

And Arum strikes again:

stop being a tool...you sound like Mayweather

It's just ridiculous how much comes out of that side without anyone checking them on it.

Mayweather wants the fight...Arum throws yet another monkey wrench and people are trying to act like the Cotto/Canelo fight is already a done deal...set in stone.

Hell, Arum is now even saying some borderline racist nonsense that it's somehow disrespectful for anyone other than Mexican fighters to fight on that weekend (even though Mexico doesn't even really recognize Cinco de Mayo)...and nevermind that Mayweather has fought on that weekend for years now. This whole Showtime deal has revolved around him fighting one of his fights on that weekend.

And Arum strikes again:

I like both fighters. Each have their own guit in the fight not happening. Relax.

My bad...apologize for lashing out...just damn. Let's stop throwing all the blame at Mayweather...the f'ing problem is and always has been that piece of crap Arum.

And Arum strikes again:

My bad...apologize for lashing out...just damn. Let's stop throwing all the blame at Mayweather...the f'ing problem is and always has been that piece of crap Arum.

There have been issues on both sides. Its not just mayweather. Not just arum.

And Arum strikes again:

Sure...but act as if Mayweather picked May 2nd out of thin air as a blocking maneuver and using quotes like "on the books" is getting redamndiculous and very telling.

And Arum strikes again:

Sure...but act as if Mayweather picked May 2nd out of thin air as a blocking maneuver and using quotes like "on the books" is getting redamndiculous and very telling.

:unsure: Its true though. at the end of the day if mayweather really wants to get the fight done, like he says, he knows there are going to be issues on that date. Just do it in june. whats the big deal? Obviously arum wants his other fight to stay that weekend because he thinks it will make more money then. The mayweather pacquiao fight can happen anytime. I would be really sad if that is the only think standing between this fight happening.

Both camps need to do what it takes to get it done.

And Arum strikes again:

:unsure: Its true though. at the end of the day if mayweather really wants to get the fight done, like he says, he knows there are going to be issues on that date. Just do it in june. whats the big deal? Obviously arum wants his other fight to stay that weekend because he thinks it will make more money then. The mayweather pacquiao fight can happen anytime. I would be really sad if that is the only think standing between this fight happening.

Both camps need to do what it takes to get it done.

And what I'm saying is that we all know Mayweather fights on that weekend. Mayweather calls out his golden goose and sets the weekend that he always fights on and here's Arum with another blockade.

Arum is trying to take over that weekend for his fighters and it's not set yet...so there's absolutely no reason he can't move his fight...there's really no "moving it"...it isn't set...so it's all just maneuvering and more continued nonsense from that camp.

And Arum strikes again:

you would have a point if the tables were turned and mayweather said he would fight on that date first and THEN arum came out and said ''oh no...i want to have a different card that night''. As it is mayweather picks a date he knows arum has a fight planned ...thats kind of a #### move IMO

And Arum strikes again:

you would have a point if the tables were turned and mayweather said he would fight on that date first and THEN arum came out and said ''oh no...i want to have a different card that night''. As it is mayweather picks a date he knows arum has a fight planned ...thats kind of a #### move IMO

A night Arum planned...blah, blah, blah...

We ALL know Mayweather fights on that weekend...Arum is the one trying to circumvent and maneuver here by trying to lay claim to a weekend that Mayweather has already carved his name on.

And Arum strikes again:

We ALL know Mayweather fights on that weekend...Arum is the one trying to circumvent and maneuver here by trying to lay claim to a weekend that Mayweather has already carved his name on.

maybe its a strategy move for arum ...he wants some negotiating leverage and is using the date mayweather wants to gain it...im gonna say right now that the Pacman / Mayweather fight is on may 2nd after some push and shove at the bargaining table

Edited by BustedKnuckles

And Arum strikes again:

LOL so Mayweather owns that weekend now? :lmao:

maybe its a strategy move for arum ...he wants some negotiating leverage and is using the date mayweather wants to gain it...im gonna say right now that the Pacman / Mayweather fight is on may 2nd after some push and shove at the bargaining table

It probably is...another bargaining tactic...like all the others that ultimately ended up killing this fight.

I'm just sick and tired of Arum's antic...let's just get this damned fight over with so we can stop hearing about it.

Responding to Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s assertion that he “would love to fight Manny Pacquiao” on May 2, the Filipino superstar said “Mayweather can get the amount he wants,” adding, “Money is not the issue in our fight” if it means their mega-bout finally gets made.

Calling it “Cinco de Mayweather,” THE RING’s No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter announced during a Friday interview on Showtime that he “wanted that fight a long time ago,” adding, “I’m just waiting on them.”

Mayweather’s comments followed a Dec. 9 announcement by Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya that RING No. 1-rated junior middleweight Canelo Alvarez has agreed to his side of the terms to fight RING middleweight champion Miguel Cotto on HBO Pay-Per-View on May 2. However, Mayweather has made it clear that he doesn’t plan to give up that Mexican holiday weekend, on which he has fought five times since 2007 – including each of the past three years.

Another potential conflict is the fact that Pacquiao and Cotto are trained by Freddie Roach.

Alvarez, who lost a majority decision to Mayweather in September 2013, stated this past September that he would seek to take back the Mexican holidays of Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence Day (in September) from Mayweather.

“Everybody knows that Oscar is getting me May 2 and September,” said Alvarez. “Those are the Mexican holidays and they belong to the Mexican fighters. Everybody knows those are the Mexican holidays and the traditional dates for the Mexican fighters.”

Responding to Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s assertion that he “would love to fight Manny Pacquiao” on May 2, the Filipino superstar said “Mayweather can get the amount he wants,” adding, “Money is not the issue in our fight” if it means their mega-bout finally gets made.

Calling it “Cinco de Mayweather,” THE RING’s No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter announced during a Friday interview on Showtime that he “wanted that fight a long time ago,” adding, “I’m just waiting on them.”

Mayweather’s comments followed a Dec. 9 announcement by Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya that RING No. 1-rated junior middleweight Canelo Alvarez has agreed to his side of the terms to fight RING middleweight champion Miguel Cotto on HBO Pay-Per-View on May 2. However, Mayweather has made it clear that he doesn’t plan to give up that Mexican holiday weekend, on which he has fought five times since 2007 – including each of the past three years.

Another potential conflict is the fact that Pacquiao and Cotto are trained by Freddie Roach.

Alvarez, who lost a majority decision to Mayweather in September 2013, stated this past September that he would seek to take back the Mexican holidays of Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence Day (in September) from Mayweather.

“Everybody knows that Oscar is getting me May 2 and September,” said Alvarez. “Those are the Mexican holidays and they belong to the Mexican fighters. Everybody knows those are the Mexican holidays and the traditional dates for the Mexican fighters.”

Your point being?

As I said...it's not set.

Canelo/De La Hoya have agreed...but Arum/Cotto have not yet.

So...here's Mayweather with an even better deal on the table.

Which do you take? Oh...that's right...you act like you have no choice and then continue to point at Mayweather as the one who's continuing to stall this fight that should've happened five years ago.

Your point being?

As I said...it's not set.

Canelo/De La Hoya have agreed...but Arum/Cotto have not yet.

So...here's Mayweather with an even better deal on the table.

Which do you take? Oh...that's right...you act like you have no choice and then continue to point at Mayweather as the one who's continuing to stall this fight that should've happened five years ago.

it looks like its Canelo that might have an issue with the date ...and Oscar promised him that date ...so its a little more involved than just arum

• 4 weeks later...

And Arum strikes again:

So we're now going to just straight up lie in order to dog on Mayweather now? Reality and truth are no longer our boundaries in this fanaticism of Pacquiao?

"Proposed" does not in any way equal...what did you call it "on the books"?

Guess that Canelo fight wasn't as "on the books" for Arum as we thought.

Unless he's an undercard...

so people take sides, drawing hard lines in the sand, on this crap too?

boxing has fans...we discuss fights...the pacman vs mayweather fight has been a hot topic for a couple of years now....what i dont like,and yes i draw a line in the sand ,is when people try to tarnish what pacman has done by spewing crap rumors of drug use thats never been founded...it started with floyds camp...they said something and the media ran with it...but there is one one shred of evidence...i find it disrespectful to a great fighter and champion

Anyone fired up about this Wilder fight? Trying to become the first American heavyweight with a title in over a decade.

Yeah, definitely. I've been following him for awhile. He has some flaws, but his size and power is enough to stop anyone. It should be fun, someone is getting KO'd tonight.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. was sparring on Friday night, this time verbally from his courtside seat at Staples Center.

Mayweather engaged in trash talking directed at Clippers forward Matt Barnesduring the game against the Cavaliers at Staples Center, and it wasn't the kind of friendly trash talking you sometimes see between celebrities and athletes. Mayweather shouted things at Barnes, and Barnes directed words back at the boxing champ.

Things got intense while there was a stoppage in play for free throws. Barnes grabbed a body part while directing words at Mayweather, and Mayweather yelled back. Mayweather continued to yell things at Barnes while he was running up and down the court.

It's unclear what the argument was over.

Just Money being money...what a jerk :thumbdown:

Anyone fired up about this Wilder fight? Trying to become the first American heavyweight with a title in over a decade.

Is this a PPV gig? I don't see any listings other than the weigh in on DTV
Showtime

10:00 Eastern on Showtime is WIlder vs Stiverne Maybe Kenny will come update the thread title, but tonight is the biggest HW fight in awhile. Can Olympic medlaist Deontay Wilder become the first American HW Champion since Holyfield? I think so. I'm not sure he can keep it going against better competition, but to this point he has been a 6 foot 7 Mike Tyson knocking everyone out. I don't think he has ever been past the 4th round. Still, despite the Olympic background and punching power, there are a lot of questions. He is raw. He got into boxing late in life after his daughter was born premature and with a serious illness. He had to give up his attempt at college football and turned to boxing. It has been an incredible to road from Tuscaloosa to being 1 win away from being the heir to the Evander Holyfield line of American fighters.

Watch the ALL ACCESS preview here form Showtime.

• Like 1

• Kenny Powers changed the title to ***Official Sweet Science Thread***