Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Sweet Science Thread***

4 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

@5D -165 GGG and over 9.5 rds is -220. I agree with Kieth above. A year ago, I would have shrugged, and been sure GGG would walk him down and stop him before 10. Now I keep seeing Canelo doing lots of damage to the body. Kovalev took a body shot in the first round and it literally changed who he was until Ward stopped him. It's fresh in my mind. I think something like that has to happen for Canelo to win. He needs to hurt GGG early and set the stage to bang and box out a decision. He's capable. The GGG Jacobs fight may have more people second guessing this than anything else. If not for that, I'd still be expecting Golvovkin to walk him down and stop it late. So maybe Jacobs is more difficult than we know, great record and all, and GGG whacks out Canelo looking like he often has. I hope so. I like Gennady quite a bit more than Saul. I'm not betting on it either though. 

I had insomnia through the night. I've been awake since 7 Thursday morning. Watch me need a nap and sleep through the fight. 

GGG is a maniac about doing sit-ups and keeping his core strong. I think he does 2k per day or something crazy. Kovalev, if you believe JDJ wasn't willing to put the same kind of work in. I think Jackson said he was even folding Kovalev over when THEY sparred in the gym. Dunno if that's true. I've also heard that Kovalev's been hitting the bottle a little too much recently, don't know if that's true either.

Anyway, GGG always seems to be near optimal condition and has his picture in the dictionary next to "ascetic." Same for Canelo, to be fair.

I've heard that GGG had an easy time making weight (Sanchez said he was at 161 a couple days before the fight), and Canelo apparently had to drain down quite a bit to get there, and wasn't looking great at the weigh-in. Something to keep in mind. I also wonder if Canelo will keep moving up and might go to 168? Not as dangerous of a division, but not as many big fights there either. But, that's down the road a bit.

• Like 1

The GGG/Canelo odds, before the Jacobs fight, were like -400/+300. They re-opened at -175/+150. That fight really changed perception, fairly or unfairly.

Bet The Greek's Twitter site normally reports on sharp action (for all sports), they say the smart money is on GGG tonight.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

@Ilov80s  what are you drinking tonight? 

Took a road trip to get a case of Boss Tweed- really good NE  IPA out of Lansing area. I'm having a few friends over for the fight. I'm really needing to pace myself though. Had 2 beers during the UM game, heading out in a few for the wife's bday dinner which will surely include a few drinks as well. 

What are you pouring tonight? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Took a road trip to get a case of Boss Tweed- really good NE  IPA out of Lansing area. I'm having a few friends over for the fight. I'm really needing to pace myself though. Had 2 beers during the UM game, heading out in a few for the wife's bday dinner which will surely include a few drinks as well. 

What are you pouring tonight? 

Nice.  Just put a heady topper, focal banger and beezelbub(Alchemist brewery) in the fridge.  Have a case that i have been savoring.  Also have a few big bottles from some local(NJ/NY) breweries that ill likely break open.  Also have a few bottles from the beer camp series left as well.  Basically clearing out the fridge!  Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

I've heard that GGG had an easy time making weight (Sanchez said he was at 161 a couple days before the fight), and Canelo apparently had to drain down quite a bit to get there, and wasn't looking great at the weigh-in. Something to keep in mind. I also wonder if Canelo will keep moving up and might go to 168? Not as dangerous of a division, but not as many big fights there either. But, that's down the road a bit.

These Brit analysts doing the pre-pre-fight round table just reported the exact opposite. They said GGG was very dry in the mouth and looked drawn. He immediately started rehydrating before leaving the stage, while Canelo looked lean but strong and ready to go?? I dunno, just reporting what I just listened to.

2 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

These Brit analysts doing the pre-pre-fight round table just reported the exact opposite. They said GGG was very dry in the mouth and looked drawn. He immediately started rehydrating before leaving the stage, while Canelo looked lean but strong and ready to go?? I dunno, just reporting what I just listened to.

II also heard Canelo was very heavy going into weigh ins.     I know that Canelo was also seen taking a pill right after weigh ins.  I assume to rehydrate. 

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759066

• Like 1

They just spoke for a short while on Canelo's beard.  Is this seriously a problem?  RJJr dismissed the issue when they asked him.  How can this be an issue?  It's not like it's a Jonny Hendricks beard or something.  Boxing experts here - can this really matter?

2 hours ago, Tony Jabroni said:

I know it is early, but you guys came through for $/Conner....streams??? 

TIA. 

generally reddit has any sports stream you can think of.  for big events, you can always find a high quality HD stream :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

They just spoke for a short while on Canelo's beard.  Is this seriously a problem?  RJJr dismissed the issue when they asked him.  How can this be an issue?  It's not like it's a Jonny Hendricks beard or something.  Boxing experts here - can this really matter?

I feel like a beard would make the punches stick more.  even promote cutting.  if i were fighting id prefer clean shavin.

3 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

After seeing the beard, I consider it a non-factor.  I have seen beards capable of cushioning blows, most notably by Lamont Peterson.

Looking forward to this fight big time.  I don't think GGG was very motivated his last couple fights, that was more of a factor than him "slipping" IMO.

Gonna throw some decent bones on GGG.  

As others have mentioned if it goes to decision Canelo will have a big advantage.  The boxing business wants him to win.

GGG all the way.

I expect four rounds of fury...then Canelo starts to reel in his punches like he did against Mayweather because GGG is punishing him.

I don't expect GGG to get much love on cards unless he puts Canelo on the canvas.

Stoppage by 9th.

2 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Looking forward to this fight big time.  I don't think GGG was very motivated his last couple fights, that was more of a factor than him "slipping" IMO.

Gonna throw some decent bones on GGG.  

As others have mentioned if it goes to decision Canelo will have a big advantage.  The boxing business wants him to win.

Possible. But Canelo also has a rematch clause. DLH might let this one go straight and build an even bigger 2nd fight.

• Like 1

• Kenny Powers changed the title to ***Official Sweet Science Thread***