Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

I think King James, Bosh, and Wade sign with Miami

It's simple really but it seems to get complicated.

1. Unreal free agent pool and most of them are thristy for rings. Players are tired of watching Phil Jackson and the Lakers make it every year and win some of the time too along the way. These players know they collectively can team up and stand up to these guys.

2. Wade actually has around his finger what some of these others are craving. They likely are going ot listen to him and I think he will probably sell them on the city of Miami.

3. The Heat have Pat Riley. I'm sure behind the scenes they are discussing if Riley will coach should the dream team of sorts collectively decide to sign in Miami.

Miami is a media friendly town. Players don't get thrown thru the mud down here nearly as much as they are up in NY for example. I would never want to play there because of the intense media scrutiny, would drive me nuts. Miami is realtively laid back and quiet with pockets of partyville in it.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when these guys sit down and figure out what they want to do. IMO they want to stack the deck in their favor as much as possible. A guy like Riley has a lot of rings to stand on even though he only won 1 in Miami, lots of 1980's LA Lakers hardware to show off. He knows how to win. What does NY know about winning lately? And Chicago was trashed by Wade, not a good way to start things off. I can't see Bosh and Wade wanting to come to Ohio, but Miami after being in Toronto(it's a lovely city) will look great to Chris Bosh.

My money is on Miami at this point. And I don't think Wade will have a problem at all sharing or giving the spotlight to James...he really does not crave the spotlight like you would think.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bosch is perfectly happy with their headquarters in Germany.

And no way do LeBron and Wade end up on the same team. They may have been ok sharing the spotlight in the Olympics, but no way do two Alpha superstars share a team in the prime of their careers.

You really think Miami is going to re-sign Wade, then sign Lebron and Bosh?

These guys are not meeting together to discuss pantyhose and popcorn, they are dead serious about all playing together and trying to win a ring. All of them will take a little less salary and try to get an extra endorsement deal if need to be to make up the difference. All of them are already uber rich and never have to work another day in their life if they desire. They want a ring to take with them to tell their kids and grandkids about. Also this is a unique year with all these free agents.

There is no way any of those 3 will accept less than max contracts. If they did, they would be foolish. This isn't a situation like Karl Malone and Gary Payton when they took less money to play for the Lakers. They had finished out their max contracts, and their prime years were behind them. Bosh, Lebron, and Wade are all young superstars and will be looking for max money. Miami could afford 2 max guys but not 3.

You really think Miami is going to re-sign Wade, then sign Lebron and Bosh?

These guys are not meeting together to discuss pantyhose and popcorn, they are dead serious about all playing together and trying to win a ring. All of them will take a little less salary and try to get an extra endorsement deal if need to be to make up the difference. All of them are already uber rich and never have to work another day in their life if they desire. They want a ring to take with them to tell their kids and grandkids about. Also this is a unique year with all these free agents.
A few flaws in your reasoning (thinking more about LeBron/Wade -- Bosch I could maybe see being a complimentary player, and not the main guy, but that's a stretch):-These guys are not going to take less than max contracts. -Despite the hand-wringing in the media about LeBron not having a championship yet, he's only 25. He has lots of time. I can't imagine that he'd take less than max money in an effort to "steal" a championship. As competitive as these guys are, they won't be willing to take that kind of shortcut. They think they can be the guy to lead their team to a championship (wherever they go).-The Lakers are aging, and their window will be closing within the next few years.

I think James and either Bosh/Johnson will join Wade in Miami, there's two main reasons why I think this will happen:

1. James wants to play for a team that is loyal, Wade has already stated that Miami is very loyal, look how they treat their players after they retire.

2. They already stated that all four will be meeting up and talking to each other before they sign anywhere.

For those wanting them to sign with chi-town, they pretty much squashed that with Wade say, "Look how they treat players after they retire. Is Jordan there? Is Pippen there? No."

I think James and either Bosh/Johnson will join Wade in Miami, there's two main reasons why I think this will happen:1. James wants to play for a team that is loyal, Wade has already stated that Miami is very loyal, look how they treat their players after they retire.2. They already stated that all four will be meeting up and talking to each other before they sign anywhere.For those wanting them to sign with chi-town, they pretty much squashed that with Wade say, "Look how they treat players after they retire. Is Jordan there? Is Pippen there? No."

Right on DF,I knew folks in here would be combative with me and just say "No they won't play for less than max contracts"...but I listed several reasons why I believe this is going to happen. As you said and per ESPN they are all going to meet up 1st...preferably in the desert somewhere, haha...but they want to discuss where they are going and want they want to accomplish for the next several years. If they all sign for $2-$3 million less per year than they could get at max contracts, they can build a team and also get more endorsements. These 3 main guys pretty much keep their nose clean and won't be running crazy on South Beach everynight. Also, Florida does not have state taxes and that can make a difference. Shaq used to joke about it when he lived in Orlando and Miami. It's a pretty good deal especially for those with a lto of money already. (Cue the RICH DON'T PAY TAXES speech).I think it makes sense but I understand why others say no.

Is there any hard and fast numbers on what these teams can afford in salary, and what contracts these players are eligible for?

Because before I say this is absurd, I wonder how many team can afford two max guys.

There is no way any of those 3 will accept less than max contracts. If they did, they would be foolish. This isn't a situation like Karl Malone and Gary Payton when they took less money to play for the Lakers. They had finished out their max contracts, and their prime years were behind them. Bosh, Lebron, and Wade are all young superstars and will be looking for max money. Miami could afford 2 max guys but not 3.

3 if someone takes Beasley off their hands.

Is there any hard and fast numbers on what these teams can afford in salary, and what contracts these players are eligible for?Because before I say this is absurd, I wonder how many team can afford two max guys.

I believe the Nets and Heat can afford two max players.

Players are tired of watching Phil Jackson and the Lakers make it every year and win some of the time too along the way. These players know they collectively can team up and stand up to these guys.

This is my favorite part. As if Wade, Bosh, and LeBron are watching the Lakers on TV and saying, "SOMEBODY'S got to stand up to these guys!"

Players are tired of watching Phil Jackson and the Lakers make it every year and win some of the time too along the way. These players know they collectively can team up and stand up to these guys.

This is my favorite part. As if Wade, Bosh, and LeBron are watching the Lakers on TV and saying, "SOMEBODY'S got to stand up to these guys!"
:shrug::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Good one Tim...ready for game six? I can't wait, what an ending the other night, one of the best recent Lakers memories. If LA could get one of these guys, they have all the say in the league, snap their fingers and players appear from all directions.

Because before I say this is absurd, I wonder how many team can afford two max guys.

I think just New York and Miami. Chicago, New Jersey, Clippers and Washington can get one. Of course, sign-and-trades can open up more opportunities but those aren't easy.

:shrug:

I would be very impressed if these players are willing to take less money to build some Super Team, I just have a tough time seeing players walk away from millions per year.

That's millions. Per year.

I think just New York and Miami. Chicago, New Jersey, Clippers and Washington can get one. Of course, sign-and-trades can open up more opportunities but those aren't easy.
We know Miami can afford it and if they dump Beasly off to someone they can probably have 3...that would include all 3 of these guys and I bet they would forego just a couple million off the top so the team has just enough left to get the proper role players to work in around them. It's gonna happen. One way or another these guys are going to try and play together. Right now it would seem that Miami has the inside track adn the funny thing is they have been sucking 2nd ### in the media to Chicago for months, kind of flying under the radar. When you factor in Wade and Riley, and the fact they did this already with Shaq when he was still Shaq, odds are in their favor to get it done. I know everyone screams NEW YORK NEW YORK and I would love to see JayZ be the front man for Lebron and give hims oem personality...but let's get serious here. Are these guys trying to chase an image or rings?

I would be very impressed if these players are willing to take less money to build some Super Team, I just have a tough time seeing players walk away from millions per year.

Let's look at it this way...assume a max contract is $15 million or whatever...But if you play for $11 million I can sign Wade and Lebron too to go with Chris Bosh and have all three. Now, realize that with endorsements a couple of these guys especially King James is probably pulling in close to $100 million per year if not at least $50 million. Let;s say Lebron is pulling $50 million per year and he lets go of $4 million in contract money...that's not even 10% of what he banks per year and he has a chance to build a dynasty and legacy in the NBA for generations to come that will yield many more million in future deals in life...look at the big picture.

Let's look at it this way...assume a max contract is $15 million or whatever...But if you play for $11 million I can sign Wade and Lebron too to go with Chris Bosh and have all three. Now, realize that with endorsements a couple of these guys especially King James is probably pulling in close to $100 million per year if not at least $50 million. Let;s say Lebron is pulling $50 million per year and he lets go of $4 million in contract money...that's not even 10% of what he banks per year and he has a chance to build a dynasty and legacy in the NBA for generations to come that will yield many more million in future deals in life...look at the big picture.
???

He can build that legacy with many teams. He needs to maximize his $$$$$$$ while he can. He has said before he wants to be the first billion dollar athlete.

I am having trouble seeing how the Heat can afford 3 max players even if they get rid of Beasley?

:lmao:

Lebron is the best player in the league, or at worst, 2nd best. He's not going to put his ego aside and have guys like Rashard Lewis get paid more than him.

Period. End of conversation. It will not happen. Feel free to live in fairy-tale land all you want, but there's zero chance Lebron takes less than the max.

All of these guys feel they are the best and will not take less than the other star on the team. They won't take pay cuts to win, regardless of what they say, and the teams can't pay them all top dollar. It's never going to happen

We know Miami can afford it and if they dump Beasly off to someone they can probably have 3...that would include all 3 of these guys and I bet they would forego just a couple million off the top so the team has just enough left to get the proper role players to work in around them.

Some reasons against your idea:1. Many believe Bosh and James want to be "the guy" on their team. Individual fame and their legacy is reduced if they are together. 2. Miami is a smaller market than New York/New Jersey or Chicago. This reduces exposure and endorsement opportunities.3. Fan support in Miami isn't that strong. Fans don't even arrive until the 2nd quarter.

:lmao:

I don't need to look at the big picture. Because pro athletes rarely do. I don't think you realize how much the money matters. And you can make a convincing argument as to how these players can make up X amount of dollars in endorsements and so forth, but I think a stronger argument is a player saying to himself, "I ain't taking 3 million less than I am worth!"

And who decides who takes less? And how much? You think these guys are gonna get together and Wade is gonna say, "Yeah LeBron, come to Miami, and I'll take 3 or 4 mill less, because we all know you are the best player."

I guess I just don't understand the whole "They already make a ton of money, they won't miss a couple of million." Uh, yes they would. If I was a professional athlete, I would want to maximize the amount of money I could make. 4 million would still be alot to me, even if my net worth was 250 million.

I guess I just don't understand the whole "They already make a ton of money, they won't miss a couple of million." Uh, yes they would. If I was a professional athlete, I would want to maximize the amount of money I could make. 4 million would still be alot to me, even if my net worth was 250 million.

And that's pretty much the end of the story.

People are a lot more liberal with other people's money. 'Eh, what's a few million to him?'

It's a frigging lot.

True max contracts can only be done by re-signing with the player's current team outright or in a sign-and-trade. I'm not sure Cleveland would agree to do a sign-and-trade. LeBron might be forced to take less money if he insists on leaving. Toronto apparently is open to a sign-and-trade with Bosh. A problem for Miami is that they have very little to offer back.

If you're making 10's of millions of dollars playing a game, who cares if you win a championship? The competitive balance has changed enough in professional sports that I just don't see why you would want to put the pressure on yourself to try to become "one of the greats", just play the game, cash your checks, and live the dream. There is no such thing as a "once in a lifetime player", the competition gets better every year.

I'd take the biggest contract, every time.

:popcorn:

???

He can build that legacy with many teams. He needs to maximize his $$$$$$$ while he can. He has said before he wants to be the first billion dollar athlete.

I am having trouble seeing how the Heat can afford 3 max players even if they get rid of Beasley?

Because they can't. The numbers don't back it up. No team can afford 3 max players without pretty much strip mining the rest of the team.

If you're making 10's of millions of dollars playing a game, who cares if you win a championship? The competitive balance has changed enough in professional sports that I just don't see why you would want to put the pressure on yourself to try to become "one of the greats", just play the game, cash your checks, and live the dream. There is no such thing as a "once in a lifetime player", the competition gets better every year.I'd take the biggest contract, every time.

Your attitude is what makes the great players, great. They think the exact opposite as you. They love the game, and will kill themselves to be the best. They are the ones working hard when no one is around.To a much much lesser degree Im the same way. Im ultra competitive and get pissed when Im playing ball with someone that doesnt have that same desire to win. Heck, I get pissed when I lose a card game.Not saying there is anything wrong with that. One of my best friends has all the athletic gifts in the world, but has the same attitude and just doesnt care if he wins or loses. It kills me to watch him play sometimes, but can understand everyone isnt built the same way.

To a much much lesser degree Im the same way. Im ultra competitive and get pissed when Im playing ball with someone that doesnt have that same desire to win. Heck, I get pissed when I lose a card game.

This kind of thing doesn't make you a competitor. It makes you a poor sport and unpleasant to be around.

If you're making 10's of millions of dollars playing a game, who cares if you win a championship? The competitive balance has changed enough in professional sports that I just don't see why you would want to put the pressure on yourself to try to become "one of the greats", just play the game, cash your checks, and live the dream. There is no such thing as a "once in a lifetime player", the competition gets better every year.I'd take the biggest contract, every time.

Your attitude is what makes the great players, great. They think the exact opposite as you. They love the game, and will kill themselves to be the best. They are the ones working hard when no one is around.To a much much lesser degree Im the same way. Im ultra competitive and get pissed when Im playing ball with someone that doesnt have that same desire to win. Heck, I get pissed when I lose a card game.Not saying there is anything wrong with that. One of my best friends has all the athletic gifts in the world, but has the same attitude and just doesnt care if he wins or loses. It kills me to watch him play sometimes, but can understand everyone isnt built the same way.
I'm not saying I would be lazy about it. If I'm making that much money playing a game, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night worried that I'd be put away for theft if I didn't bust my tail every day trying to get better. I would still play to win, but I wouldn't take a pay cut to try to get on a winning team.Has nothing to do with work ethic, it's about getting paid.

At some point once you don't win a ring you start to become a little more Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady than King James.

And once Kevin Durant gets another piece or two around him he and the Thunder are going to win multiple rings.

We know Miami is probably retaining Wade...my money is on him staying here. I don't think he'll have to beg Bosh to sign in Miami. Not sure if Wade and Bosh equal a championship, probably not. Best thing as a Lakers fan would be that they all sign on different teams and take the max contracts as you all are saying. Dilutes them over the rest of the league.

At some point once you don't win a ring you start to become a little more Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady than King James.

It's not like a player "becomes a little more" like Carter and McGrady. You're either a winner or you're not. And Carter & McGrady are not.

I'm not saying I would be lazy about it. If I'm making that much money playing a game, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night worried that I'd be put away for theft if I didn't bust my tail every day trying to get better. I would still play to win, but I wouldn't take a pay cut to try to get on a winning team.Has nothing to do with work ethic, it's about getting paid.
I hope you just got to see Steve Nash balling his eyes after losing again, and failing to make the Finals. Thats what its all about, and exactly what Im talking about. I agree with you that some athletes are only worried about getting paid, but what seperates those guys from the alltime greats is what you just saw with Steve Nash.

I hope you just got to see Steve Nash balling his eyes after losing again, and failing to make the Finals. Thats what its all about, and exactly what Im talking about. I agree with you that some athletes are only worried about getting paid, but what seperates those guys from the alltime greats is what you just saw with Steve Nash.

Think Nash would take a little less money to be on a team with Kobe, Pau, Artest, and Bynum? This was my whole point of the thread and why so many folks failed in here. No one wants to talk about the idea that players could ge together and map out a strategy. Lakers and Spurs own about 8 titles in the last 12-15 years and you have some all time greats in Kobe and Duncan anchoring those teams...B-Ball runs in streaks it seems but true legends tend to be a focal point of these great teams. LeBron has a lot of this in his game but if he doesn't get some real help soon he is never going to win a title. Before he signs a 7 year $125 million deal or whatever he is going to get and be stuck on that team, I'm sure he would like to go somewhere where he can get a good dance partner out there with him.

• 1 month later...

from Gothamist:

BREAKING: LeBron James, Ohio native and potential cash cow for NYC, apparently visited a nearly $13 million apartment in the Big Apple this past weekend. Prudential Douglas Elliman vice chairman Dolly Lenz told FOX Business's Liz Claman, "He was spotted the day before yesterday at a Greenwich Village condo. Looking, and trying it out -making sure the ceilings were high enough. It was actually quite interesting. The one he was looking at is $12,950,000-esque."

This would be the second apartment the "King" allegedly perused (the first may have been this one in Columbus Circle, though it's unclear whether it's just wishful thinking). But does this mean he wants to play for the Knicks? Well, according to the Post's Marc Berman, the Knicks are trailing in the LeBron sweepstakes—they are even behind the Nets!

Berman writes, "One person with ties to James told The Post he feels 'The King' will bolt Cleveland -- but that the Nets have a better shot than the Knicks in the six-team LeBron race. James will keep an open mind as he enters Thursday's Akron-area meetings, with the Bulls and Miami emerging as frontrunners. 'If it wasn't for Newark for two years, they [the Nets] would probably be the winner,' the individual said. 'But they probably have surpassed the Knicks. I think the Knicks hurt themselves with the draft.'"

James will meet with the Nets at 10 a.m. on Thursday, while the Knicks are second with a 1 p.m. appointment; the meetings will be in Akron, Ohio.

:bowtie:

Archived