Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Most famous actor who was a rock star

I had this conversation with some people today and am still a little mystified. The transition from rap/hip hop star to actor is quite common: Will Smith, Queen Latifah, Marky Mark, Ice Cube, even (to a point) L.L. Cool J., Tupac and Eminem.

For rock stars, acting hasn't gone as well. Sure, Sting did some movies. So did David Bowie. But this was long ago. When I asked others, Henry Rollins was mentioned but surely he is not as well known as the rap/hip hop guys.

Am I missing someone? And, more interestingly to me, why is there such a difference?

Edit to add: I really want to focus on recent history. If you go out 40 to 50 years you can include Elvis, the Beatles, etc. But in the last 20 years or so we basically have nobody.

I had this conversation with some people today and am still a little mystified. The transition from rap/hip hop star to actor is quite common: Will Smith, Queen Latifah, Marky Mark, Ice Cube, even (to a point) L.L. Cool J., Tupac and Eminem.

For rock stars, acting hasn't gone as well. Sure, Sting did some movies. So did David Bowie. But this was long ago. When I asked others, Henry Rollins was mentioned but surely he is not as well known as the rap/hip hop guys.

Am I missing someone? And, more interestingly to me, why is there such a difference?

Lots of rock stars make great actors. Look at these. Lots of stellar performances.

1. Mick Jagger

Key Movies: Performance, Ned Kelly, Fitzcarraldo, and Freejack.

2. Sting

Key Movies: Quadrophenia, Brimstone And Treacle, and Dune.

3. David Bowie

Key Movies: The Man Who Fell To Earth, Just A Gigolo, and Labyrinth.

4. Bob Dylan

Key Movies: Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid, Renaldo & Clara, Hearts Of Fire, and Masked And Anonymous.

5. Roger Daltrey

Key Movies: Tommy, Listomania, and McVicar.

6. Jon Bon Jovi

Key Movies: Moonlight And Valentino, The Leading Man, and U-571.

7. Ringo Starr

Key Movies: The Magic Christian, Son Of Dracula, and Caveman.

8. Ozzy Osbourne

Key Movies: Trick Or Treat.

Lots of rock stars make great actors. Look at these. Lots of stellar performances.

1. Mick Jagger

2. Sting

3. David Bowie

4. Bob Dylan

Key Movies: Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid, Renaldo & Clara, Hearts Of Fire, and Masked And Anonymous.

5. Roger Daltrey

6. Jon Bon Jovi

7. Ringo Starr

8. Ozzy Osbourne

What about the last 20 years?

1. Mick Jagger

2. Sting

3. David Bowie

4. Bob Dylan

5. Roger Daltrey

6. Jon Bon Jovi

7. Ringo Starr

8. Ozzy Osbourne

There have been rock stars in the last 20 years?? :confused:

1. Mick Jagger

2. Sting

3. David Bowie

4. Bob Dylan

5. Roger Daltrey

6. Jon Bon Jovi

7. Ringo Starr

8. Ozzy Osbourne

Yes.

1. Mick Jagger

2. Sting

3. David Bowie

4. Bob Dylan

5. Roger Daltrey

6. Jon Bon Jovi

7. Ringo Starr

8. Ozzy Osbourne

heyyyyeyyyy I wanna be a rockstar!!!

Edit to add: I really what to focus on recent history. If you go out 30 to 40 years you can include Elvis, the Beatles, etc. But in the last 20 years or so we basically have nobody.

The rock stars aren't as big as the hip-hop stars now. Hip-hop stars are the famous ones now. And that's where the crossover comes from.

Plus, hip-hop culture is such that getting paid is a good thing. Unlike in rock, where 'sellout' is a frequently squawked mantra by rock dweebs I'd like to beat up.

Edit to add: I really what to focus on recent history. If you go out 30 to 40 years you can include Elvis, the Beatles, etc. But in the last 20 years or so we basically have nobody.

The rock stars aren't as big as the hip-hop stars now. Hip-hop stars are the famous ones now. And that's where the crossover comes from.

Plus, hip-hop culture is such that getting paid is a good thing. Unlike in rock, where 'sellout' is a frequently squawked mantra by rock dweebs I'd like to beat up.

That, and the fact that most of the hip-hop guys aren't really musicians to start.

Dwight Yoakam

I don't think he was a rock star, but he has turned out to be a decent actor. Tim McGraw falls along the same lines.Bono as Dr. Robert in Across the Universe is the best I can think of and that was a real bit part.

Cher may be going back further than you want, but she was a pop rock artist before she became an actress. She did some great acting in a string of movies in the 80's which include Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean, Silkwood, Mask, Suspect, and Moonstruck.

Michelle Phillips (Mamas and the Papas) did a lot of television acting in the past. She played a good character on Knots Landing.

Dwight Yoakam

I don't think he was a rock star, but he has turned out to be a decent actor. Tim McGraw falls along the same lines.
Kris Kristofferson did a lot of acting back in his day, and Dolly Parton was in several things too.
And Willie Nelson.

Jared Leto

Who?
I guess "most famous" might be a stretch. He sings for 30 Seconds To Mars and has been in some pretty decent flicks (Fight Club, Requiem For A Dream, American Psycho ....)
Pretty sure he was an actor first, and used his fame to help promote that band. Actually, definitely was an actor first because IMDB says his first role was in 92.He's easily the best actor/musician thats been brought up so far though

Archived