What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Okay, I'll go ahead and chime in and say that I really didnt' think episode 3 was so bad. If you're going to nitpick stuff like the handcuff thing and the deer-zombie-arrow thing, I'm guessing you're in for a really long series because it's a fact of life that horror-based programs tend to have things like this that require a healthy suspension of disbelief. I'll grant that TWD is pushing it (driving a car with a live car alarm into your wide-open defenseless base camp), but whatever.

I actually kind of liked this past episode because it finally started to show some dynamics between the characters. Specifically, we finally got to see some different sides of Shane and Jim's wife. The acting and writing is still poor, but at least it's a move in the right direction.

Tom Servo said:
Socrates11 said:
UOFI_316 said:
For you zombie experts out there, how come there are no zombie animals??
Because then there'd be no story about human survivors. If animals could be zombies we'd be totally screwed.
Read Brian Keene's books. Zombie animals, birds and fish = we're screwed.
Considering how slow zombies move, I don't believe that zombie birds would be able to generate the speed in their wings to fly. They would prove to be quite harmless.
But these are fast zombies, think marsupial fast. Remember them doing the one legged shuffle while Rick and the kid were coated in guts but as soon as it started to wash off they went into a Usain Bolt dead sprint after them?Make no mistake my friend, these are not slow zombies. Remember the #1 rule of Zombieland? Cardio. There is a reason.

Tom Servo said:
Socrates11 said:
UOFI_316 said:
For you zombie experts out there, how come there are no zombie animals??
Because then there'd be no story about human survivors. If animals could be zombies we'd be totally screwed.
Read Brian Keene's books. Zombie animals, birds and fish = we're screwed.
Considering how slow zombies move, I don't believe that zombie birds would be able to generate the speed in their wings to fly. They would prove to be quite harmless.
But these are fast zombies, think marsupial fast. Remember them doing the one legged shuffle while Rick and the kid were coated in guts but as soon as it started to wash off they went into a Usain Bolt dead sprint after them?Make no mistake my friend, these are not slow zombies. Remember the #1 rule of Zombieland? Cardio. There is a reason.
Plus we don't even know what caused this zombification. Was it a virus? Was it supernatural (doubtful)? If its a virus though, it may affect animals differently. See Resident Evil (Video games not movie). Zombie Crows are pretty annoying.

Was desperately wanting to see a Sons of Anarchy cameo last night.

In case some folks haven't seen it yet.

Pretty sure staying next to a major city like that out in the open is pretty close to the dumbest thing they could do but it makes it for good TV I guess.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();Still not sure where this show is going but I'm on board.

Plus we don't even know what caused this zombification. Was it a virus? Was it supernatural (doubtful)? If its a virus though, it may affect animals differently. See Resident Evil (Video games not movie). Zombie Crows are pretty annoying.
Zombie birds = we're screwed.

Last night was uneven. i liked the nursing home bit, that was pretty cool. But some of the plausibility is going way out the window. So the camp is within walking distance of downtown? They've all been using the same camper to go #2?

It was an OK episode.Glad to see Ed got eaten.Didn't like the other survivors storyline too much.
What happens when you get eaten? Does what's left of you zombie up and move around looking for live meat?They're gonna have to brainshoot the sister, aren't they? What's the delay time between death and re-animation?

It was an OK episode.Glad to see Ed got eaten.Didn't like the other survivors storyline too much.
What happens when you get eaten? Does what's left of you zombie up and move around looking for live meat?They're gonna have to brainshoot the sister, aren't they? What's the delay time between death and re-animation?
Who took the truck? Merle Dixon like they thought, or someone else.How long until someone lets it slip that Shane was slipping Grimes's wife when they thought he was dead?

Seems a little unsafe to be slathering yourself in her blood if you are the living sister too.

All the in camp patter about wrapping paper, watches, and fishing was pretty dreadful. But I'm glad we got it instead of seeing how the guy cut off his hand, cauterized it, and escaped a zombie infested city. You have to focus on the important stuff.

All the in camp patter about wrapping paper, watches, and fishing was pretty dreadful. But I'm glad we got it instead of seeing how the guy cut off his hand, cauterized it, and escaped a zombie infested city. You have to focus on the important stuff.
That might have been the worst first three minutes of any show I've ever watched....talking about knots, and fishing, their dad....just horrible. I almost turned it off. Show isn't very good, but I continue to watch.

Character development.
Yeah, maybe it's unfair to call the characters underdeveloped and then complaing about the show's attempt to develop them, but character is revealed by action. Older sister is hypercompetitive while younger sister is empathetic? You can develop that by how those characters approach situations, not by having them have a stilted conversation in a canoe. This show, IMO, has a problem following the maxim of "show, don't tell."

That might have been the worst first three minutes of any show I've ever watched....talking about knots, and fishing, their dad....just horrible. I almost turned it off. Show isn't very good, but I continue to watch.
I told my wife if those two were on Star Trek, one of them would be wearing a red shirt. :confused:

Can we please get the thread title updated to "Zombie critics unite"
LOL. I stopped watching a few weeks ago but the only reason I came into this thread was to see if other people were giving up on it and I was hoping to see you get all uppity about that. Your reactions to negative comments are really weird. How come you can't handle that some people dislike the show, the thread is about the show, you should be expecting a range of comments, positive, negative and in between.

The writing for this show is terrible.
What do you expect? It's based on a comic book.
Barely. The writing in the comic is far superior.
I agree that the comic has been better than the show so far, but Episode Four was written by Robert Kirkman (the creator of the comic book and the writer). So if you weren't grooving on the writing in the 4th episode, not sure the comic is going to work for you either.

Character development.
Yeah, maybe it's unfair to call the characters underdeveloped and then complaing about the show's attempt to develop them, but character is revealed by action. Older sister is hypercompetitive while younger sister is empathetic? You can develop that by how those characters approach situations, not by having them have a stilted conversation in a canoe. This show, IMO, has a problem following the maxim of "show, don't tell."
The unicorn or was it a mermaid pendent was supposed to show the younger sister as a dreamer/idealist while the old sister was the one grounded in gritty reality. Did the conservation in the canoe feel that bad? I think it was good to show some background about the two of them and their dad; it added more color to the characters,

Can we please get the thread title updated to "Zombie critics unite"
LOL. I stopped watching a few weeks ago but the only reason I came into this thread was to see if other people were giving up on it and I was hoping to see you get all uppity about that. Your reactions to negative comments are really weird. How come you can't handle that some people dislike the show, the thread is about the show, you should be expecting a range of comments, positive, negative and in between.
You seem really hyper sensitive. Too much coffee? It was a joke. Pretty sad if you took that to be me not being able to handle criticism, pathetic even.I don't need my zombie apocalypse tv shows teaming with reality and character development, I hardly think I've had any outrageous reactions to the criticism but if hyperbole and sensationalism are your bag more power to you.

I agree that the comic has been better than the show so far, but Episode Four was written by Robert Kirkman (the creator of the comic book and the writer). So if you weren't grooving on the writing in the 4th episode, not sure the comic is going to work for you either.
I haven't seen episode four yet (or three, for that matter). I'll probably check it out based on that fact alone, but you'd have to think that Kirkman would be hampered somewhat by the overall direction of the show and the changes made to the characters -- it's not really his story any more. Plus it's not like he's Marcel Proust or something to begin with -- I just take issue with the idea that the writing in a comic book necessarily has to be as poor as what I've seen in the Walking Dead TV show. I've read some amazingly well written comics in my day. The Walking Dead comic is middle of the road as far as that goes, but it's still better than the schlocky TV script.

I hardly think I've had any outrageous reactions to the criticism but if hyperbole and sensationalism are your bag more power to you.
____________________________________________This isn't a normal reaction, Harry. This is someone getting upset that their show is being criticized. Please don't make me go into the Lost thread and pull out some more choice quotes from you.___________________________________________
Well, I am done tuning in to watch it every week. Maybe I'll skim it when it gets to DVD, but it's stale after 3 episodes for me. Really disappointed in how the show ended up.
Thank god. Hopefully this also means you'll be staying out if here too.

It's not based on a comic?
I meant that it's not particularly faithful to the comic it's based on, and that the writing in the comic is better than the writing in the show. There's probably not a single line of dialogue taken directly from the comic book, and there are many examples of very well-written comics, so unless I'm missing something, your point is more or less irrelevant.

It's not based on a comic?
I meant that it's not particularly faithful to the comic it's based on, and that the writing in the comic is better than the writing in the show. There's probably not a single line of dialogue taken directly from the comic book, and there are many examples of very well-written comics, so unless I'm missing something, your point is more or less irrelevant.
o rly?

I hardly think I've had any outrageous reactions to the criticism but if hyperbole and sensationalism are your bag more power to you.
____________________________________________This isn't a normal reaction, Harry. This is someone getting upset that their show is being criticized. Please don't make me go into the Lost thread and pull out some more choice quotes from you.___________________________________________
Well, I am done tuning in to watch it every week. Maybe I'll skim it when it gets to DVD, but it's stale after 3 episodes for me. Really disappointed in how the show ended up.
Thank god. Hopefully this also means you'll be staying out if here too.
:angry:So it's ok to criticize the show, encouraged even, but to criticize the critics isn't ok.Also good to know you're coming into this thread for the sole purpose of seeing my personal reactions to criticisms, because you apparently think it bothers me so much. It's pretty normal to relish in someone allegedly being upset. That right there tells me all I need to know about you as a person.Oh, and also good to hear you admit you've been stalking me, kinda creepy but once again, whatever floats your boat.Im deeply sorry I've offended your delicate sensibilities. I'll be sure to modify my opinions so that they are more in line with yours, as to not set you off again. For the record I've found a number of scenes in this show and even in lost ridiculous, while not writing off the entire show as im not a melodramatic, pretentious snob, and I've also not felt compelled to continue watching for the sole purpose of pointing out flaws, but again that's me. I find overly critical and negative people to be rather off putting. To say "that scene was over the top", or "I think it would have made more sense to do X" is fine, but when you've got the same people coming in with nothing but criticisms and proclaiming the show to be unwatchable, well I don't get it personally, but Ill try not to judge and I'll leave that up to the experts, you.

wow, that was an awful episode, from the vatos locos all the way to the campground massacre.
Despite JTCs expert assesment of my psyche I'd have to say this was the worst yet. Some good parts but a lot of "Oof" moments, but i saw zombies get blasted and people eaten by zombies. So I was pretty happy about that.

I thought the episode was decent at some parts, terrible at most. Until the ending. That's what I want to see. I sure as hell didn't turn in to a program called 'The Walking Dead' to see a bunch 'The Sitting Living'.

So the camp was really that close to the city? It seemed like they didn't have to walk very far. And why didn't they steal another car? They didn't panic when the first zombie wandered into camp the week prior? Their alarm system consisted of...cans on a string? Parts of that episode were downright painful.

But the zombies killing a bunch of folk at the end made up for a lot of stuff. I just felt like I could have turned into the show for the last 15 minutes and been up to speed.

I'm good with character development. But they should pick interesting characters and not do it in such a heavy handed fashion. I didn't give a damn about the sisters. Especially not enough to care one of 'em was zombie food. And unless handless is going to vanish from the show, showing his escape would have been a PERFECT way to show us some of his character and give us some zombie action. They could have mixed in his flashbacks with his reality. He seems like one of the very few characters I might actually care about (either love or hate). Right now I want to see the father/son combo from week 1. I'd like to see more of the redneck brothers. Everyone else can die.

I hope I'm not the only one that was rooting for a lot more people to die. I would have even liked to see the sheriff's wife or kid die. That would have caused some tension between everyone. And it would cause an issue with his whole help everyone mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the episode was decent at some parts, terrible at most. Until the ending. That's what I want to see. I sure as hell didn't turn in to a program called 'The Walking Dead' to see a bunch 'The Sitting Living'. So the camp was really that close to the city? It seemed like they didn't have to walk very far. And why didn't they steal another car? They didn't panic when the first zombie wandered into camp the week prior? Their alarm system consisted of...cans on a string? Parts of that episode were downright painful. But the zombies killing a bunch of folk at the end made up for a lot of stuff. I just felt like I could have turned into the show for the last 15 minutes and been up to speed.I'm good with character development. But they should pick interesting characters and not do it in such a heavy handed fashion. I didn't give a damn about the sisters. Especially not enough to care one of 'em was zombie food. And unless handless is going to vanish from the show, showing his escape would have been a PERFECT way to show us some of his character and give us some zombie action. They could have mixed in his flashbacks with his reality. He seems like one of the very few characters I might actually care about (either love or hate). Right now I want to see the father/son combo from week 1. I'd like to see more of the redneck brothers. Everyone else can die. I hope I'm not the only one that was rooting for a lot more people to die. I would have even liked to see the sheriff's wife or kid die. That would have caused some tension between everyone. And it would cause an issue with his whole help everyone mentality.
:goodposting: Weak attempt at character development but the action was great. Hoping they flashback to merles escape, and I hoped the dead sister would wake up a zombie and bite her sister.

My wife and I are enjoying the show.

My question is.Are we only getting these episodes? Or are they picked up for another season and the show will continue to develop. It has a ton of potential going forward.

It is mindless entertainment as all zombie movies should be. I love this stuff and suspend all belief when watching horror. I don't know how anyone can like zombie flicks (Resident Evil, Zombieland, 28 Days Later) and expect a ton of realisim.

I like some of the characters (the lead guy is good and his friend who is boning his wife is also coming along and that tension will boil over once he finds out). The makeup is top notch. It is much better than most of the crap on TV.

I thought the episode was decent at some parts, terrible at most. Until the ending. That's what I want to see. I sure as hell didn't turn in to a program called 'The Walking Dead' to see a bunch 'The Sitting Living'. So the camp was really that close to the city? It seemed like they didn't have to walk very far. And why didn't they steal another car? They didn't panic when the first zombie wandered into camp the week prior? Their alarm system consisted of...cans on a string? Parts of that episode were downright painful. But the zombies killing a bunch of folk at the end made up for a lot of stuff. I just felt like I could have turned into the show for the last 15 minutes and been up to speed.I'm good with character development. But they should pick interesting characters and not do it in such a heavy handed fashion. I didn't give a damn about the sisters. Especially not enough to care one of 'em was zombie food. And unless handless is going to vanish from the show, showing his escape would have been a PERFECT way to show us some of his character and give us some zombie action. They could have mixed in his flashbacks with his reality. He seems like one of the very few characters I might actually care about (either love or hate). Right now I want to see the father/son combo from week 1. I'd like to see more of the redneck brothers. Everyone else can die. I hope I'm not the only one that was rooting for a lot more people to die. I would have even liked to see the sheriff's wife or kid die. That would have caused some tension between everyone. And it would cause an issue with his whole help everyone mentality.
It was impossible all along to believe that these people would have been some of the extremely few survivors. They didn't even have many guns enough though almost everyone is dead and every Southern house must have a dozen laying around. And with access to every vehicle on the planet they keep an old run down RV and bunch of auto auction rejects? They also could have lived in any house and made it safe, yet they lived in the woods with cans on a string as their security system. Maybe with people getting killed they'll finally show them getting smart and moving to a secure location (even the gang members figured that out...).As far as the character development I was glad to finally see them flesh out :thumbup: the characters, even if it was a little heavy-handed with the sisters. It was certainly better than the cartoonish way they were portrayed before. This was actually the first episode I really liked and hope it keeps up. d

My wife and I are enjoying the show.My question is.Are we only getting these episodes? Or are they picked up for another season and the show will continue to develop. It has a ton of potential going forward.It is mindless entertainment as all zombie movies should be. I love this stuff and suspend all belief when watching horror. I don't know how anyone can like zombie flicks (Resident Evil, Zombieland, 28 Days Later) and expect a ton of realisim.I like some of the characters (the lead guy is good and his friend who is boning his wife is also coming along and that tension will boil over once he finds out). The makeup is top notch. It is much better than most of the crap on TV.
It's coming back next season.The problem isn't a lack of realism...it's that this show thus far has tried to focus on character development and they've done a crappy and heavy handed job of it. At least with 28 days later and other zombie movies, they're actually worried about the blood. I realize this is a show, so if they said zombie blood was no big deal then I'd be okay with that (really, write whatever you want. they already did that with zombies 'smelling' the living). But at least be consistent. They have said several times they're worried about ___________ yet not one of the characters actually seems to be concerned.

Maybe with people getting killed they'll finally show them getting smart and moving to a secure location (even the gang members figured that out...).
I think they're going to move in with the gang bangers. It will bring them back to the city and hopefully result in more zombie screen time.
As far as the character development I was glad to finally see them flesh out :bag:
:golfclap:

OK, it's a zombie apocalypse and you're in a camp within walking distance of a large city overrun by zombies. After sunset, what do you do?

A) Post sentries

B) Establish a perimiter alarm with cans tied to a string to provide an early warning system

C) Who needs sentries or a warning system? Let's sit around a campfire frying fish and swapping stories!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, it's a zombie apocalypse and you're in a camp within walking distance of a large city overrun by zombies. After sunset, what do you do?A) Post sentriesB) Establish a perimiter alarm with cans tied to a string to provide an early warning systemC) Who needs sentries or a warning system? Let's sit around a campfire frying fish and swapping stories!
Thought the same thing when the guy was all proud of himself for building the rock wall around the fire. I thought - "why the hell didn't you knuckleheads build some sort of wall around camp?" At least then they'd have more protection and would be able to have a bigger fire.

Users who are viewing this thread