What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (3 Viewers)

'Charlie Frown said:
Bummer. The article I found was at this link.

Did a little digging and it seems they are still casting/filming season 2. Link with some minor spoilers if u haven't read the comics
minor spoiler if you haven't read the comics:
I am surprised there is no mention of Tyrese. Maybe they are keeping that one quiet until closer to when the season starts? He was a key character, and i would imagine would be well-liked by the viewers of the show. My worry is they try to have the black guy in the 1st season play the role of Tyrese, which would just be a horrible idea and mess things up bad.

I know the second season has 13 episodes, and I imagine they can only stretch the farm out to 5-6 episodes. They may have the trek to the farm for 2-3, so I have to think we will see the prison and I'm not sure how far they will take it. If Michellone is coming in season 3, maybe they leave season 2 with the hint that there is another group of survivors out there and focus all of season 3 on michellone and the story line with the "town"?

also, i like how they strayed from the comics at points in season 1, but i imagine now with the audience being as large as it is they will stick more to the comic. I could see them going away from it for the 1st season to maybe try and reach a broad audience and not let fans of the comic ruin what happens, but i think for season 2 they can stick closer ton the original material because it is large enough now that they should not have to worry too much about getting new viewers.

Darabont quits The Walking Dead

EXCLUSIVE: This is a quite a bombshell -- I have learned that Frank Darabont, the creator, executive producer and director of AMC's smash hit The Walking Dead, is stepping down as showrunner of the series, which is now in production on its upcoming second season. The news is even more surprising given the fact that Darabont was on hand for Walking Dead's Comic-Con panel just this past Friday alongside fellow executive producers Robert Kirkman, on whose graphic novel the series is based, and Gale Anne Hurd and appeared excited about Season 2. There is speculation that Darabont might be off the show completely, but I hear talks are still ongoing about him possibly staying on in some capacity. Darabont, who spent five years trying to get a TV version of the zombie saga off the ground and wrote and directed the AMC pilot, hails from the feature world, and I hear that he never quite adjusted to the daily grind of producing a TV series. Last December, he considered forgoing a writing staff for Season 2 and assigning scripts to freelancers but ultimately went for the traditional writing staff model recommended by the network and tapped Glen Mazzara as an executive producer and his No. 2. It is unclear if The Shield alum Mazzara, who has showrunning experience, would now step in to run Walking Dead. I hear that the behind-the-scenes turmoil has not affected production on the show, which continues as scheduled. Season 2 of Walking Dead is slated to premiere Oct. 16. In addition to huge ratings, the series has garnered awards recognition for its freshman season, including a best drama series Golden Globe nomination as well as DGA and WGA noms. In a Deadline Emmy Q&A last month, Darabont raved about his transition to television. "In TV, you have to get ideas across in a more economical way," he said. "But the process is fundamentally the same (as features), just accelerated. There’s no time for second guessing. The wheels are in constant motion. I love that about television. If I’d known how much fun it was, I’d have done it years ago."

Trailer looks good. I still worry they'll make the same mistakes as last season and forget the reason people tune in to a show about zombies is TO WATCH ZOMBIES!

Trailer looks good. I still worry they'll make the same mistakes as last season and forget the reason people tune in to a show about zombies is TO WATCH ZOMBIES!
While this is true, Kirkman has long said that his vision with the story isn't really about surviving zombies, but surviving human frailty and how even though civilization collapses we still tend to act like the #######s we've always been. Or something like that.But yes, more zombies please.

I don't really want spoilers, but I would like to know if the black guy and his son from episode one will be back this season. I thought they were the most interesting characters in this thing.

I don't really want spoilers, but I would like to know if the black guy and his son from episode one will be back this season. I thought they were the most interesting characters in this thing.
No, they wouldn't be in Season 2 if the writers stay relatively true to the sequence of events in the comics. But they made major deviations in Season 1, so who knows.

Season 2 begins October 16th.

I don't have high hopes because the last 3 episodes of season one were classic campiness and forced drama. But here's hoping.
I'm still pumped. (despite the crappy writing)So much so that I wrote a blog post about it instead of U of Minnesota football: Walking Dead Seaon 2

Nothing new there really, but has a quick recap of season 1 and a few questions about season 2.

IF it's 13 episodes a season....they'd probably be back in Season 4 or 5.

Thats the kind of stupid writing I'm talking about. The first 2 episodes were magnificent. That guy and his son were the most interesting side characters in the show and they just dropped them out of memory. If it takes till season 4 or 5 to get them back without even any keeping tabs moments than who is going to care when they show up?

Thats the kind of stupid writing I'm talking about. The first 2 episodes were magnificent. That guy and his son were the most interesting side characters in the show and they just dropped them out of memory. If it takes till season 4 or 5 to get them back without even any keeping tabs moments than who is going to care when they show up?
Good point. I had forgotten about them already.

so you want them to totally ignore the source material the characters and story are based on?

so you want them to totally ignore the source material the characters and story are based on?
I'm confused by this question. If a viewer (like me) is not familiar at all with the source material, then adherence to its characters and story is unnecessary to be entertained, no?

You don't need to ignore the source material but you have to remember that 90% of the audience hasn't ever read the comic. Most of the stuff in the show has been ad-libed a great deal so introducing a dynamic character and then not showing him for the rest of the season limits his importance. I've never read the comics but if he was meant for something important, it'll be really hard to portray that to the viewer when he hasn't been seen since episode 2.

Totally ignore? No. I've never read the source material and don't care to. Reading this thread it's clear they've taken liberties already. No need to ignore some things but follow others perfectly.

Totally ignore? No. I've never read the source material and don't care to. Reading this thread it's clear they've taken liberties already. No need to ignore some things but follow others perfectly.
I think there is a big difference to changing scenes and creating situations that didn't happen versus changing entire timelines. I haven't read the source material, so I could be talking out my ###. I enjoyed the first season and there are enough shows I have watched that take a bit to get rolling and have gotten much better in the second season, so I hope this show improves and becomes an even better show. I assume that the source material was good, so I am hoping they stick to it for the main arcs.

2 weeks to go! :pickle: I had totally forgotten until I saw this thread and realized it's now October.
:goodposting: There are no shows, even Fringe that is good but not great anymore, that I look forward to like I did Lost, so I am really looking forward to this again.

Wow this is an interesting stance. You have not read the source material, nor care to but you have the ability to determine which story lines should be changed and which should not. I have read every word ever written for the source material I would never even dream of having the temerity to tell its creator what he should transfer over to the tv show.

You don't need to ignore the source material but you have to remember that 90% of the audience hasn't ever read the comic. Most of the stuff in the show has been ad-libed a great deal so introducing a dynamic character and then not showing him for the rest of the season limits his importance. I've never read the comics but if he was meant for something important, it'll be really hard to portray that to the viewer when he hasn't been seen since episode 2.
You are making guesses as to whom should be important and who is not. Personally I would love to see that character again on tv but knowing the story line it would not shock me in the least if Kirkman drops him all together for the tv show.

Wow this is an interesting stance. You have not read the source material, nor care to but you have the ability to determine which story lines should be changed and which should not. I have read every word ever written for the source material I would never even dream of having the temerity to tell its creator what he should transfer over to the tv show.
I'm saying they've already made changes from the comics to the show. That's been pointed out in this very thread. If they want to stay true to the comics? Fine. If they want to go in some new direction? Fine. They want to deviate in some areas but in other aspects refuse to do things because it goes against the source material? That's stupid. Once you open the can of worms that is making changes it seems silly to draw arbitrary lines in the sand.

Been trying to queue this up on my DirecTv DVR for over a month now. At first, a search provided nothing. Now that we're within 2 weeks, it at least comes up, but only the Video on Demand episodes. Won't let me queue up the new ones. Finally, thought I was going to get it last night since the guide will go 2 weeks into the future..........only to get there and have the guide say "To Be Announced". :wall:

I'm saying they've already made changes from the comics to the show. That's been pointed out in this very thread. If they want to stay true to the comics? Fine. If they want to go in some new direction? Fine. They want to deviate in some areas but in other aspects refuse to do things because it goes against the source material? That's stupid. Once you open the can of worms that is making changes it seems silly to draw arbitrary lines in the sand.
Agreed. However, I think it is a lot easier to understand the changes if you read the source material. And complaining about why character X is not more prominent with out knowing even the basics of the characters arc just seems like spitting in the wind to me.

Are the father and son characters really that big of a deal to people? Besides the fact that now I know they show up again and the surprise has been ruined, who cares? I just assumed they died and didn't give them much thought since.

I think they'll either A) speed up his reintroduction or B) combine his character with another one. We're tiptoeing around spoilers here....so I don't really want to ruin it anymore for you.Although I will say..... and don't read if you don't want to know....cause it's not that hard to figure out.
The man's relationship with his wife is more akin to his relationship with his son when they reintroduce him

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they'll either A) speed up his reintroduction or B) combine his character with another one. We're tiptoeing around spoilers here....so I don't really want to ruin it anymore for you.Although I will say..... and don't read if you don't want to know....cause it's not that hard to figure out.
The man's relationship with his wife is more akin to his relationship with his son when they reintroduce him
I do hope they make one change from the original books:
Reading the books I felt that the impact of finding out what happened to Morgan and his son was greatly diminished by the fact that we already saw The Governor living under the same circumstances with his daughter. This is one detail I hope they change from the books; dropping the Governor's daughter out completely would make Morgan's arc incredibly powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread