What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Been trying to queue this up on my DirecTv DVR for over a month now. At first, a search provided nothing. Now that we're within 2 weeks, it at least comes up, but only the Video on Demand episodes. Won't let me queue up the new ones. Finally, thought I was going to get it last night since the guide will go 2 weeks into the future..........only to get there and have the guide say "To Be Announced". :wall:
I just check tonight and it said no upcoming episodes.

Walking Dead Season 2 starts this weekend :headbang:

Should start off pretty good, according to this guy http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2011/10/14/tv-weekend-the-walking-dead-has-legs/
AMC is marathoning last season leading up to the premiere starting Sunday afternoon (2 p.m., I think) for anyone who wants to catch up.
Just re-watched episodes 3-5 last night on Netflix...saving episode 6 for tonight when I get home (Never saw that one, actually...)

So when this is being directed, does the director stop all action and look at his comic book to tell everyone what comes next? Cuz that'd look pretty professional. :thumbup:

Could I get the :nerd: in here to stop saying "source material"? It's a comic book, not an ancient manuscript. TIA
:lmao: Exactly.And "graphic novel" is just as bad.
:rolleyes: Comic writing is no different that writing other fiction/screenplays. Nobody has issues with those being referred to as "source material".
Yes. Yes it is. I don't remember Norman Mailer or Faulkner having to include gigantic cartoons on every page to tell their stories.

Could I get the :nerd: in here to stop saying "source material"? It's a comic book, not an ancient manuscript. TIA
:rolleyes: Comic writing is no different that writing other fiction/screenplays. Nobody has issues with those being referred to as "source material".
Yes. Yes it is. I don't remember Norman Mailer or Faulkner having to include gigantic cartoons on every page to tell their stories.
Always curious about this - how do you get up on that high horse?

USAToday put out some infohttp://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/story/2011-10-13/walking-dead-amc-second-season/50763532/1

Season of lossCast and crew are as tongue-tied as zombies about Season 2, but the actors offer some non-spoiling season hints:•Lincoln. "The second season moves from the sort of linear narrative seen through Rick's eyes and those of his family into a real ensemble piece. You really get much more information about the rest of this ragtag band of survivors."•Callies. "The dynamic between Rick, Shane and Lori and, in some respects, Carl, is very much in question, very much in flux. What happens to Lori this season is so much worse than the fall of Atlanta and the fall of mankind and the loss of the CDC."•Bernthal. "You find Shane at the beginning of the season in a tremendously lonely state. It's that biting, awful loneliness when you are with the people you love and you can't be with them the way you want to. That brings out the worst in Shane and will definitely bring out the best in Shane."•Holden. "The zombies to me are scarier this year. They seem faster, they seem more feral, there seems to be more. The threat of being attacked is that much more palpable."•Norman Reedus (who plays survivalist Daryl Dixon). "You'll see Daryl kind of come out of his shell a little bit and form alliances with people in the cast that he wouldn't necessarily form alliances with, and butt heads with people you wouldn't expect him to."As for Daryl's brother Merle (Michael Rooker), who went missing last season after he cut off his own hand (Rick had handcuffed him to a pipe on an Atlanta rooftop to keep him under control), "you'll definitely see him," says Reedus. "When he comes back, there will be some hugs and there will be some fists thrown."And fans should be prepared to deal with loss. "The two-cent version of it is that we lose a lot of people this season, just like we did last season," says Callies, "but this year we lose as many people to the living as we do to the dead. And that, to me, is the primary difference between Season 1 and Season 2. This year, the living are every bit as dangerous to each other."
Merle :thumbup:

USAToday put out some infohttp://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/story/2011-10-13/walking-dead-amc-second-season/50763532/1

Season of lossCast and crew are as tongue-tied as zombies about Season 2, but the actors offer some non-spoiling season hints:•Lincoln. "The second season moves from the sort of linear narrative seen through Rick's eyes and those of his family into a real ensemble piece. You really get much more information about the rest of this ragtag band of survivors."•Callies. "The dynamic between Rick, Shane and Lori and, in some respects, Carl, is very much in question, very much in flux. What happens to Lori this season is so much worse than the fall of Atlanta and the fall of mankind and the loss of the CDC."•Bernthal. "You find Shane at the beginning of the season in a tremendously lonely state. It's that biting, awful loneliness when you are with the people you love and you can't be with them the way you want to. That brings out the worst in Shane and will definitely bring out the best in Shane."•Holden. "The zombies to me are scarier this year. They seem faster, they seem more feral, there seems to be more. The threat of being attacked is that much more palpable."•Norman Reedus (who plays survivalist Daryl Dixon). "You'll see Daryl kind of come out of his shell a little bit and form alliances with people in the cast that he wouldn't necessarily form alliances with, and butt heads with people you wouldn't expect him to."As for Daryl's brother Merle (Michael Rooker), who went missing last season after he cut off his own hand (Rick had handcuffed him to a pipe on an Atlanta rooftop to keep him under control), "you'll definitely see him," says Reedus. "When he comes back, there will be some hugs and there will be some fists thrown."And fans should be prepared to deal with loss. "The two-cent version of it is that we lose a lot of people this season, just like we did last season," says Callies, "but this year we lose as many people to the living as we do to the dead. And that, to me, is the primary difference between Season 1 and Season 2. This year, the living are every bit as dangerous to each other."
Save your bullets for the living.

It's actually pretty easy.How did you reach a place in your life where you see comic books as being on equal footing with literature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. :lmao: :lmao:

It's actually pretty easy.How did you reach a place in your life where you see comic books as being on equal footing with literature?
I must have missed where that equation took place here - can you share that link? It was you who appears to have taken offense that the writing in a comic book is considered writing. Last I checked, anytime someone puts word to paper, online, etc is writing. You may attempt to argue whether one type of writing is better than another or whether said writing is any good, but like many things in this world, it is entirely subjective.

I must have missed where that equation took place here - can you share that link? It was you who appears to have taken offense that the writing in a comic book is considered writing. Last I checked, anytime someone puts word to paper, online, etc is writing. You may attempt to argue whether one type of writing is better than another or whether said writing is any good, but like many things in this world, it is entirely subjective.
Perhaps I misrepresented my position.I find the term "graphic novel" silly. I wouldn't say it was "offensive" but it's close. To me it would be like Justin Bieber saying he was releasing a 3rd symphony next month.

Big fan of the original source material / graphic novel / comic books.

I've got to say that I was somewhat disappointed in Season 1. In my mind, what made the comics so great were the story lines. They really went into areas that I'd not seen before and what I felt were pretty gutsy, possibly controversial. Season 1 didn't get into some of those at all and added some plot points which were pretty silly (nursing home and CDC for example), which I felt were mistakes. Maybe I need to watch Season 1 again, but I came out overall feeling underwhelmed.

Not saying that they should strictly follow the books or include all the plot points - that's impossible, may not translate very well, different mediums, etc. I'm just hoping that they start to include more of the plots/topics from the books. It really could make a decent TV series "great".

Hope that Season 2 does the source material a little more justice and I'm still all-in on the zombie apocalypse.

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Big fan of the original source material / graphic novel / comic books. I've got to say that I was somewhat disappointed in Season 1. In my mind, what made the comics so great were the story lines. They really went into areas that I'd not seen before and what I felt were pretty gutsy, possibly controversial. Season 1 didn't get into some of those at all and added some plot points which were pretty silly (nursing home and CDC for example), which I felt were mistakes. Maybe I need to watch Season 1 again, but I came out overall feeling underwhelmed.Not saying that they should strictly follow the books or include all the plot points - that's impossible, may not translate very well, different mediums, etc. I'm just hoping that they start to include more of the plots/topics from the books. It really could make a decent TV series "great".Hope that Season 2 does the source material a little more justice and I'm still all-in on the zombie apocalypse. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
:goodposting:

USAToday put out some info

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/story/2011-10-13/walking-dead-amc-second-season/50763532/1

Season of loss

Cast and crew are as tongue-tied as zombies about Season 2, but the actors offer some non-spoiling season hints:

•Lincoln. "The second season moves from the sort of linear narrative seen through Rick's eyes and those of his family into a real ensemble piece. You really get much more information about the rest of this ragtag band of survivors."

•Callies. "The dynamic between Rick, Shane and Lori and, in some respects, Carl, is very much in question, very much in flux. What happens to Lori this season is so much worse than the fall of Atlanta and the fall of mankind and the loss of the CDC."

•Bernthal. "You find Shane at the beginning of the season in a tremendously lonely state. It's that biting, awful loneliness when you are with the people you love and you can't be with them the way you want to. That brings out the worst in Shane and will definitely bring out the best in Shane."

•Holden. "The zombies to me are scarier this year. They seem faster, they seem more feral, there seems to be more. The threat of being attacked is that much more palpable."

•Norman Reedus (who plays survivalist Daryl Dixon). "You'll see Daryl kind of come out of his shell a little bit and form alliances with people in the cast that he wouldn't necessarily form alliances with, and butt heads with people you wouldn't expect him to."

As for Daryl's brother Merle (Michael Rooker), who went missing last season after he cut off his own hand (Rick had handcuffed him to a pipe on an Atlanta rooftop to keep him under control), "you'll definitely see him," says Reedus. "When he comes back, there will be some hugs and there will be some fists thrown."

And fans should be prepared to deal with loss. "The two-cent version of it is that we lose a lot of people this season, just like we did last season," says Callies, "but this year we lose as many people to the living as we do to the dead. And that, to me, is the primary difference between Season 1 and Season 2. This year, the living are every bit as dangerous to each other."
The bolded is a central, almost overriding, theme of the source material. I am glad they are going to accentuate that on going theme.

Walking Dead Season 2 starts this weekend :headbang:

Should start off pretty good, according to this guy http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2011/10/14/tv-weekend-the-walking-dead-has-legs/
AMC is marathoning last season leading up to the premiere starting Sunday afternoon (2 p.m., I think) for anyone who wants to catch up.
I DVRed all of these. When they were in their first run, Direct TV still had AMC in SD, so it will be nice to rewatch these in HD this time around.

Because it is laughable to consider "Watchmen" a novel.
In your opinion, obviously not in the opinion of Time magazine. Certainly not in my opinion. Watchmen is still one of the books that has had the longest affect on me and I still take time to reread it today. Just a brilliant piece of writing.

In your opinion, obviously not in the opinion of Time magazine. Certainly not in my opinion. Watchmen is still one of the books that has had the longest affect on me and I still take time to reread it today. Just a brilliant piece of writing.
It doesn't matter if it is the greatest comic book of all time. It's not a novel...graphic or otherwise.

It doesn't matter if it is the greatest comic book of all time. It's not a novel...graphic or otherwise.
You really are on this kick, uh? According to Merriam-Webster - the definition of 'novel' -

an invented prose narrative that is usually long and complex and deals especially with human experience through a usually connected sequence of events

Can you share with us your definition of 'novel'?

Anyone mention these webisodes yet?

Walking Dead prequel shorts
Thanks for posting!
:thumbup: ETA: The acting isn't really top notch, but I think there is a special guest appearance cameo in the 6th Webisode (they are like 3 minutes each, so doesn't take long). I won't ruin the surprise, so

Was that Scott Ian at Anthrax around the 1:45 mark?
alright, now this is bothering me because i'm not sure. I believe we see Scott Ian from Anthrax as a zombie at the 1:45 mark of the 6th webisode. anybody want to confirm or dispute this???ETA: here is the link for it: http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/the-walking-dead-webisodes-6-everything-dies

Can't friggin wait for this season to start on Sunday. This is one of the few shows that I will likely watch live rather than later on the DVR. :thumbup:

You really are on this kick, uh? According to Merriam-Webster - the definition of 'novel' -

an invented prose narrative that is usually long and complex and deals especially with human experience through a usually connected sequence of events

A novel relies on nothing more than the written word to tell the tale (granted you will find a few illustrations every now and then in older novels but no more than one per chapter). Where in that definition does it say "including drawings and illustrations and speech bubbles that say WANG! KAWUNNGG!"?

A novel relies on nothing more than the written word to tell the tale (granted you will find a few illustrations every now and then in older novels but no more than one per chapter). Where in that definition does it say "including drawings and illustrations and speech bubbles that say WANG! KAWUNNGG!"?
Using your definition (which to be honest is really just a different way of stating the definition I listed), where does it say that it does not include drawing and illustrations and speech bubbles that say WANG! KAWUNNGG!? In looking at this further on what constitutes a novel or not, the only requirements which I was able to find had to do with word count - there were no distinctions on whether or not drawings or illustrations were included. In the end, I think we both have a particular set of ideas, so we'll just agree to disagree if that works for you.

Discussions on novels aside, I am also looking forward for the next season to start on Sunday. Should be interesting.

Using your definition (which to be honest is really just a different way of stating the definition I listed), where does it say that it does not include drawing and illustrations and speech bubbles that say WANG! KAWUNNGG!? In looking at this further on what constitutes a novel or not, the only requirements which I was able to find had to do with word count - there were no distinctions on whether or not drawings or illustrations were included. In the end, I think we both have a particular set of ideas, so we'll just agree to disagree if that works for you.
I guess that makes Jughead's Double Digest a novel as well then.

Thanks for posting!
:thumbup: ETA: The acting isn't really top notch, but I think there is a special guest appearance cameo in the 6th Webisode (they are like 3 minutes each, so doesn't take long). I won't ruin the surprise, so

alright, now this is bothering me because i'm not sure. I believe we see Scott Ian from Anthrax as a zombie at the 1:45 mark of the 6th webisode. anybody want to confirm or dispute this???ETA: here is the link for it: http://www.amctv.com...everything-dies

Yup: Link - Scott Ian Gets Zombified for AMC's 'The Walking Dead,' Webisodes Available

Thanks for posting!

alright, now this is bothering me because i'm not sure. I believe we see Scott Ian from Anthrax as a zombie at the 1:45 mark of the 6th webisode. anybody want to confirm or dispute this???ETA: here is the link for it: http://www.amctv.com...everything-dies
Yup: Link - Scott Ian Gets Zombified for AMC's 'The Walking Dead,' Webisodes Available :thumbup:

huh, just found out Robert Kirkman recently released a book called "Rise of the Governor". Hopefully a good read (can't imagine it wouldn't be) and just ordered it off of Amazon

prediction for tonight's episode (put it in as a spoiler b/c it follows a story line in the comic)

Rick kills Shane tonight, start the season off with a "bang" :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread