What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (5 Viewers)

I hope this episode is not an indication of things to come because it was horrible. Beyond terrible. It didnt advance anything at all. Horrific acting and no plot whatsoever. How did it get this bad so quick?

I hope this episode is not an indication of things to come because it was horrible. Beyond terrible. It didnt advance anything at all. Horrific acting and no plot whatsoever. How did it get this bad so quick?
I actually thought it was a big improvement over last year. More action, better story and the acting was a little better. I am hopeful it will continue to improve

It was a solid start to the season but I didn't see anything that showed me massive improvement from the flaws of last year. I'll keep recording the show but won't watch the next few episodes unless I hear some great things in this thread.

Why do they not steal a better RV? How many times do we need to see that piece of crap break down before someone says "Hey, let's steal one of the thousand of vehicles abandoned in the streets!"? What kind of lookout is the old man? How do that many zombies show up? Didn't they show the zombies were able to smell the living in season one? Why didn't they smell anyone when they were walking past? What kind of parent lets their kid walk up on a deer like that?

I think I'm getting grumpy as I age. The acting was crappy. The characters...ugh. The plot? So melodramatic. :lol: at the blatant Hyundai placement. I really want to like this show. But it's not nearly as good as I wish it were. The hunter guy is fantastic. Love that dude. I wouldn't mind seeing everyone else die.

It was a solid start to the season but I didn't see anything that showed me massive improvement from the flaws of last year. I'll keep recording the show but won't watch the next few episodes unless I hear some great things in this thread.Why do they not steal a better RV? How many times do we need to see that piece of crap break down before someone says "Hey, let's steal one of the thousand of vehicles abandoned in the streets!"? What kind of lookout is the old man? How do that many zombies show up? Didn't they show the zombies were able to smell the living in season one? Why didn't they smell anyone when they were walking past? What kind of parent lets their kid walk up on a deer like that? I think I'm getting grumpy as I age. The acting was crappy. The characters...ugh. The plot? So melodramatic. :lol: at the blatant Hyundai placement. I really want to like this show. But it's not nearly as good as I wish it were. The hunter guy is fantastic. Love that dude. I wouldn't mind seeing everyone else die.
The shows creators stated the smell was a rudimentary skill and more of a way for zombies to distinguish between the living and dead. He said the zombies are not bloodhounds and you would be able to hide under a car.

The shows creators stated the smell was a rudimentary skill and more of a way for zombies to distinguish between the living and dead. He said the zombies are not bloodhounds and you would be able to hide under a car.
Makes sense. Still feeling lukewarm for the new season.

It was a solid start to the season but I didn't see anything that showed me massive improvement from the flaws of last year. I'll keep recording the show but won't watch the next few episodes unless I hear some great things in this thread.Why do they not steal a better RV? How many times do we need to see that piece of crap break down before someone says "Hey, let's steal one of the thousand of vehicles abandoned in the streets!"? What kind of lookout is the old man? How do that many zombies show up? Didn't they show the zombies were able to smell the living in season one? Why didn't they smell anyone when they were walking past? What kind of parent lets their kid walk up on a deer like that? I think I'm getting grumpy as I age. The acting was crappy. The characters...ugh. The plot? So melodramatic. :lol: at the blatant Hyundai placement. I really want to like this show. But it's not nearly as good as I wish it were. The hunter guy is fantastic. Love that dude. I wouldn't mind seeing everyone else die.
agree. I do enjoy the show enough to keep me watching, but I hate when horror/thriller stories have dumb characters. What's worse is when the dumb characters have dumb children. I hope Sophia is next.

Could I get the :nerd: in here to stop saying "source material"? It's a comic book, not an ancient manuscript. TIA
:lmao: Exactly.And "graphic novel" is just as bad.
:rolleyes: Comic writing is no different that writing other fiction/screenplays. Nobody has issues with those being referred to as "source material".
Yes. Yes it is. I don't remember Norman Mailer or Faulkner having to include gigantic cartoons on every page to tell their stories.
Always curious about this - how do you get up on that high horse?
It's actually pretty easy.How did you reach a place in your life where you see comic books as being on equal footing with literature?
I must have missed where that equation took place here - can you share that link? It was you who appears to have taken offense that the writing in a comic book is considered writing. Last I checked, anytime someone puts word to paper, online, etc is writing. You may attempt to argue whether one type of writing is better than another or whether said writing is any good, but like many things in this world, it is entirely subjective.
Perhaps I misrepresented my position.I find the term "graphic novel" silly. I wouldn't say it was "offensive" but it's close. To me it would be like Justin Bieber saying he was releasing a 3rd symphony next month.
:lol:Funny, but something doesn't need to be 'great' writing to be enjoyable. I'm not a fan since to me they seem like unfinished movie scripts, but they can tell a great story.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a solid start to the season but I didn't see anything that showed me massive improvement from the flaws of last year. I'll keep recording the show but won't watch the next few episodes unless I hear some great things in this thread.

Why do they not steal a better RV? How many times do we need to see that piece of crap break down before someone says "Hey, let's steal one of the thousand of vehicles abandoned in the streets!"? What kind of lookout is the old man? How do that many zombies show up? Didn't they show the zombies were able to smell the living in season one? Why didn't they smell anyone when they were walking past? What kind of parent lets their kid walk up on a deer like that?

I think I'm getting grumpy as I age. The acting was crappy. The characters...ugh. The plot? So melodramatic. :lol: at the blatant Hyundai placement. I really want to like this show. But it's not nearly as good as I wish it were. The hunter guy is fantastic. Love that dude. I wouldn't mind seeing everyone else die.
I also wanted to like the show and felt the writing was better than last year but there are some things are ridiculous.- "this is a graveyard, I'm not sure how I feel about this." WTH lady, haven't you noticed the entire world is a graveyard yet?

As for your points:

- the RV thing drives me nuts, same goes for the crappy truck when there are newer ones everywhere.

- they can't even do a simple lookout yet and we're supposed to believe these are the people who survived when almost no one else did?

- the smell thing I can live with since they've explained their sense of smell isn't that great.

-

let me get this right - they've spent the better part of two days traipsing through the woods and see no one, yet right when they see a deer the kid gets shot who is in direct firing line to the shooter.
- Oh, you must have missed the blatant Gerber ad.

And Rick's monologues - stop. Maybe it's because he's not American but listening to his breathy, melodramatic monologues makes me want to 'opt out'.

I enjoyed it last night but those people are the worst scavengers in the world.

The blond gal is getting to be pretty annoying. She'd better show us her boobies soon.

It seems to me if two walkers are chasing you tjought the woods, wouldn't you just run out several hundred feet into the woods and just circle back? You don't have to be Barry Sanders to out-juke 'em and it would be easy tpo create space.

Also, why wouldn't Rick just have the girl stay put?

I understand the old cars. If a new one has a problem, who's going to be able to fix it? Are they going to go to the nearest service place and hook it up to the computer? The old guy knows how to fix older cars. They are in this for the long haul, so they are taking cars that are easy to fix and maintain. I wouldn't do the same because I don't know how to take fix a car anyway, so I would be driving and dumping. That said, if I have an old guy mechanic, I would let him pick the cars he would know how to fix. Seems pretty simple to me to focus on cars that people can keep running for years because they are very uncomplicated to fix and maintain and others can be taught to maintain them.

One other thing, having that RV is pretty darn useful. Great for having a safe lookout spot. Pretty sure one of the zombie rules is that climbing ladders doesn't happen. Anyway, I have no issues with the older cars, besides there are so many other cars around that if you need one in a pinch you could grab it.

It seems to me if two walkers are chasing you tjought the woods, wouldn't you just run out several hundred feet into the woods and just circle back? You don't have to be Barry Sanders to out-juke 'em and it would be easy tpo create space.Also, why wouldn't Rick just have the girl stay put?
Rick could bite the big one, so having the girl wait there while the walkers circle back on her would be a bad idea. He gave her good directions back, it shouldn't have been that hard. The girl was 12, she wasn't a baby. I have a feeling that the people they are going to meet grabbed her and she is safe. She was heading in the right direction and then had went off course, so either she saw the walker (that didn't eat her) and ran, which isn't likely since it wasn't in chase mode or she was found by the hunter.

The church still has electricity to run the bell speakers? Really?

Lost girl in the woods was ok for about 5 minutes. Making it most of the show got old. Find her or kill her and move on.

Thought with Rick, Shane, and Carl going out into the woods they were actually going to do something that followed the 'source material'. That they went into a totally different direction was a bit surprising, but it's nice knowing I can never really be sure what's going to happen next. Hooking up with the people at the farm should be interesting. Definitely hoping we make it to the prison and the 'governor' eventually to see what changes they make with those storylines.

I actually thought it was a big improvement over last year. More action, better story and the acting was a little better. I am hopeful it will continue to improve
:goodposting: I liked the episode as well. It seemed like an improvement over last year to me.

It seems to me if two walkers are chasing you tjought the woods, wouldn't you just run out several hundred feet into the woods and just circle back? You don't have to be Barry Sanders to out-juke 'em and it would be easy tpo create space.Also, why wouldn't Rick just have the girl stay put?
Rick could bite the big one, so having the girl wait there while the walkers circle back on her would be a bad idea. He gave her good directions back, it shouldn't have been that hard. The girl was 12, she wasn't a baby. I have a feeling that the people they are going to meet grabbed her and she is safe. She was heading in the right direction and then had went off course, so either she saw the walker (that didn't eat her) and ran, which isn't likely since it wasn't in chase mode or she was found by the hunter.
"if I'm not back in 10 minutes, head back"What are the chances that Rick can't lose and/or kill two walkers in the woods?

He did tell her to stay put. He said something about don't leave unless I don't come back. She took off right away.

The church still has electricity to run the bell speakers? Really?Lost girl in the woods was ok for about 5 minutes. Making it most of the show got old. Find her or kill her and move on.

Thought with Rick, Shane, and Carl going out into the woods they were actually going to do something that followed the 'source material'. That they went into a totally different direction was a bit surprising, but it's nice knowing I can never really be sure what's going to happen next. Hooking up with the people at the farm should be interesting. Definitely hoping we make it to the prison and the 'governor' eventually to see what changes they make with those storylines.
I have no clue on the bell. I would assume it runs on batteries, so if I were to try and explain it, I would say that either the batteries hadn't run down yet (could be a car battery for all I know) because the bells don't ring often. Heck, they may only ring on Sundays and that is why the walkers were in there.That said, I think chasing the girl was not really about her, but getting to the next story line, the folks on the farm. Moving on without her takes them down the road, which is not where the story goes yet.

"if I'm not back in 10 minutes, head back"What are the chances that Rick can't lose and/or kill two walkers in the woods?
What if there are other walkers there that surprise him? They found one and there were some at the church, so they are out there. He could break an ankle going through the woods. He is a cop and the de facto leader, so he has to act like it.Also, I am pretty sure that at this point, they all tell everyone else what to do if they don't come back in time. I am also fairly certain this isn't the last time we will hear the "if I am not back in X minutes, do this" speech. I am sure that this has become part of the zombie land etiquette by now. I doubt we will see it on TV every episode because people will start making fun of it.

And Rick's monologues - stop. Maybe it's because he's not American but listening to his breathy, melodramatic monologues makes me want to 'opt out'.
I'm enjoying the show over-all. And there are a few things that seem hokey to me.... but so what.But, I agree his monolouges are BAAAAD. I was thinking, "When did he become SUCH a bad actor?", but then the show started and he was O.K. And then the monolougue in the church.... :thumbdown:

Oh and come on with the "The doctor told me......never mind, it's not important." Either they just told us that we will never find out what he said, or they're going to drag it out now and when we finally learn it's going to be anti-climatic and a let down.

So we will probably never find out.

:rolleyes:

Do none of the survivors think that the bowhunter guy being on a chopper is a bad idea? I mean, I understand being on something smaller to get around traffic jams, but A) they make a lot of noise, attracting attention and B) they offer little to no protection from zombie teeth. I mean, we all know that you want to look cool and all, but I'm not going to have a horde of zombies coming our way just because you think you look cool.

huh, just found out Robert Kirkman recently released a book called "Rise of the Governor". Hopefully a good read (can't imagine it wouldn't be) and just ordered it off of Amazon
I haven't read the comics and have only seen season one of the TV series. Would reading this cause spoilers for the TV show?

The things I like.

I like the idea that Shane and Andrea want to leave the group. Shane knows he can't stay because of how he feels about Lori - Rick's Wife.

I like it when Andrea told the old man that he had no right to interfere with her decision about her staying at the CDC or more importantly about her life. It is her life.

I like the cavity search on the dead zombie.

Things I didn't like.

Carol was not eyeballing Rick for leaving her little girl - they had the one conversation when they got back to the RV. But I did not see any staredowns - which is exactly what Lori said she was doing.

I didn't like it about zombies sitting in church - when do zombies calmly sit in pews. They are either stumbling around looking for food or laying on the ground.

Other notes:

Can zombies climb trees?

They need to clarify what the zombies can and cannot do. Do they run or do they just stumble slowly? They hear and are attracted to noise and they smell right? Do they bend down and look under cars and do they have a reasoning like the zombie in the winnebago? Also how do you contract the virus because it would seem to me you wouldnt want their blood all splattering around on you.

I just think this series took a big step back in my opinion. I really dont think it would be too hard to find a place where there arent any zombies and hang out for awhile. I mean how can it be that hard?

They need to clarify what the zombies can and cannot do. Do they run or do they just stumble slowly? They hear and are attracted to noise and they smell right? Do they bend down and look under cars and do they have a reasoning like the zombie in the winnebago? Also how do you contract the virus because it would seem to me you wouldnt want their blood all splattering around on you.
This

Do none of the survivors think that the bowhunter guy being on a chopper is a bad idea? I mean, I understand being on something smaller to get around traffic jams, but A) they make a lot of noise, attracting attention and B) they offer little to no protection from zombie teeth. I mean, we all know that you want to look cool and all, but I'm not going to have a horde of zombies coming our way just because you think you look cool.
My thoughts exactly. A gunshot is around 140db but that chopper is probably a consistent 100db going down the road. It would be safer for them to be driving down the road yelling out the window "Hey walkers, here we are come and eat us!!!" as loud as they can.I think we just have to accept that the producers of the show have zero interest in making the show realistic at all.

My thoughts exactly. A gunshot is around 140db but that chopper is probably a consistent 100db going down the road. It would be safer for them to be driving down the road yelling out the window "Hey walkers, here we are come and eat us!!!" as loud as they can.I think we just have to accept that the producers of the show have zero interest in making the show realistic at all.
It's a show about zombies.....

I understand the old cars. If a new one has a problem, who's going to be able to fix it? Are they going to go to the nearest service place and hook it up to the computer? The old guy knows how to fix older cars. They are in this for the long haul, so they are taking cars that are easy to fix and maintain. I wouldn't do the same because I don't know how to take fix a car anyway, so I would be driving and dumping. That said, if I have an old guy mechanic, I would let him pick the cars he would know how to fix. Seems pretty simple to me to focus on cars that people can keep running for years because they are very uncomplicated to fix and maintain and others can be taught to maintain them.One other thing, having that RV is pretty darn useful. Great for having a safe lookout spot. Pretty sure one of the zombie rules is that climbing ladders doesn't happen. Anyway, I have no issues with the older cars, besides there are so many other cars around that if you need one in a pinch you could grab it.
What you want in apocalyptic world is a reliable vehicle. The fact that you can figure out how to fix it doesn't help when the radiator blows and you are surrounded by zombies. I would be looking for a Land Cruiser ASAP in that world.

agree. I do enjoy the show enough to keep me watching, but I hate when horror/thriller stories have dumb characters. What's worse is when the dumb characters have dumb children. I hope Sophia is next.
:goodposting: How hard would it be to find a couple of armored cars?

So they can stop the bullets and RPG rounds the zombies are firing at the humans?

LOL, was just getting ready to post this.Show was just as stupid now as it was last year but it fills the Sunday night void for now so I keep watching. I don't expect anything so I am not over or under whelmed.

So they can stop the bullets and RPG rounds the zombies are firing at the humans?
:shrug: So that if they do get stuck somewhere the zombies can't get in. AND the size and weight of the car can be used to clear paths. That was actually just the first thing that popped into my head. I know that instead of Grandpa's POS RV I'd find a Hummer or something.

And I also agree that having Ted Nugent ride around on his chopper is a really stupid idea.

:wall: That isn't an excuse. This isn't an episode of Scooby Doo. If it's just a "show about zombies" why all the character development? Why are there multiple story lines that have nothing to do with zombies? Why do they take the time to set up realistic relationships and situations but then do a ham-handed job in other areas?

:shrug: So that if they do get stuck somewhere the zombies can't get in. AND the size and weight of the car can be used to clear paths. That was actually just the first thing that popped into my head. I know that instead of Grandpa's POS RV I'd find a Hummer or something.

And I also agree that having Ted Nugent ride around on his chopper is a really stupid idea.
One thing to consider is that armored vehicles get very poor gas mileage because of their weight.Hummers are one of the least reliable big SUV's - you'd want to go with one of the Toyotas (Land Cruiser, Sequoia or Lexus LX470).

One thing to consider is that armored vehicles get very poor gas mileage because of their weight.Hummers are one of the least reliable big SUV's - you'd want to go with one of the Toyotas (Land Cruiser, Sequoia or Lexus LX470).
:lmao: I'm not talking about buying one of them. Hell cars are disposable at this point. Just go pick one from the trees if you need a new one.

It didn't take me long to remember what I didn't like about last season. Horrible acting, no attention to detail, inconsistant storytelling. Love the actual zombie scenes but man is it a tough show to enjoy.

:goodposting: Those make me cringe. And I agree with whoever said these folks are terrible scavengers. We're supposed to believe these people have been smart enough to adapt to life with zombies? The only person who seems like he's changed his behavior is the hunter. He's clearly learned some of their habits and has used that to improve his survival odds. The others are just delaying the inevitable.

And who cares if a car breaks down and you don't know how to fix it? At that point you abandon it and grab one of the other thousands of cars. Is that any harder than needing to constantly grab some new part at inopportune times?

Last year they showed great care at avoiding zombie blood. I can buy the theory they thought that was how they could get infected but realized they're wrong (though they never mentioned that and instead had the characters totally change their style). But the people...are all so dumb!

I'd generally just leave a show quietly once it loses me. But I really hate the fact this show has such tremendous potential yet seems to awkwardly lurch forward down the path of mediocrity. So much wasted potential drives me insane.

ETA - and how dumb is the girl? She couldn't follow the path back up? Why did she wander off? Hunter guy saw no other tracks so I'm not buying the theory she saw other people and followed them.

:lmao: I'm not talking about buying one of them. Hell cars are disposable at this point. Just go pick one from the trees if you need a new one.
I disagree...within a few months all of the car batteries will be dead, and eventually the cars sitting around with gasoline in them will develop fuel-related problems (injectors, lines, fuel pump), will get moisture in the oil and the seals will dry up.

Users who are viewing this thread