What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (10 Viewers)

I am glad Glenn is alive but that was a cheap trick. There is no way he crawls under the dumpster they used in the episode where he may have died. They switched dumpsters, that does bother me. It was a cheap trick.
Ain't That a Shame?

Um, so they never showed us how those balloons were released.

I'm going to assume they came unhooked as Enid was being eaten to death.

I'm glad to have Glenn alive, but his survival was bad. I don't see how he doesn't get bitten at all when so much of him was exposed. And then he just waits out the zombies under the dumpster? I have no problem with him surviving a harrowing situation and I don't even have a problem with them making us think he was dead, but I wish it would have been handled better.

Other than that, I like the setup for next week. A lot of #### is about to go down.

I'm glad to have Glenn alive, but his survival was bad. I don't see how he doesn't get bitten at all when so much of him was exposed. And then he just waits out the zombies under the dumpster? I have no problem with him surviving a harrowing situation and I don't even have a problem with them making us think he was dead, but I wish it would have been handled better.

Other than that, I like the setup for next week. A lot of #### is about to go down.
Posts like this make me worried about the future of us as a people.

Posts like this make me worried about the future of us as a people.
OK?

Great episode. Good build up to vacating safety. Who dies next week? Wannabe Coral is going to end up shooting Enid and killing her. Then, Coral will go on a rampage.

At the end of the show they said Glenn was going to say something during a break of Into the Badlands. Did anyone watch that show to see what was said?

Are we to really believe the entire town is surrounded and no way out?
Why wouldn't we believe this?
how big is the circumference of the fence? A mile? I have no idea how big the town is, but it seems to be decent size.
Thats my point. Also what is keeping the walkers from just turning away like they did with Glenn in the alley? So much of this show just doesnt make sense sometimes but holy hell I cannot get enough.

My prediction: Someone dies in the upcoming Morgan/Carol, Coral/Porchdick Jr. confrontations, and it is not the intended target of the attacker.

What do I win?

Nicholas fell ontop of Glenn. That was Nicholas intestines. Glenn survives. At least thats what i hope.
I watched it again, theyre eating nicholas, not glenn. But unless something distracts that horde quick, theres hardly a way glenn could escape
I wouldn't mind one bit if they found a way for him to roll under the dumpster or hide in the zombie/Nicholas guts. Those ####ers just killed Glenn. Bring him back, right ####### now imo.
I'm calling it here. Glenn knocked up Maggie. That's why he'll "be back" in future episodes.
Rick's knife broke and he cut his hand, also could have been on the machete, but he wasn't bit. If he was we sure didn't see it, and he didn't seem overly concerned that it was a bite.

Did someone actually call Rick an F'n idiot for unloading the clip on those people? He just almost died from the other two guys and blew those others away before he had to scuffle again. Not sure that makes him an F'n idiot. My guess is he also did not anticipate the RV not starting. This happens a lot in shows/movies. Maybe they should try letting it run. Just sezzin.

Who knows if Glenn is dead or not. My guess is no because it looked like they were eating the other guy on top of him, and Glenn is a skinny dude and slipped under the dumpster, then something probably distracts the walkers. Yes people, they get distracted very easily and move on to the new distraction whether they are eating or not. I do also remember a commercial showing that dumpster in previews. So yeah, all real world common sense says he is dead, but I don't think he is.

If he IS dead, he should be. Why in God's name has he attached himself to the Nicholas idiot anyway? That is death worthy.
Props imo

Why wasnt Nicolas a zombie?

Why did the walkers leave the alley?
He shot himself in the head.

They tried to make it look like some of them heard something in the distance and just lost interest and wandered off. I think it would have been better to have some sort of distraction, even if it was not another person showing up. That was pretty lazy, imo.

I thought as they kept showing the holes in the wall with the blood oozing through that they may install some taps, collect teh zombie juice and literally PAINT THE TOWNTM

They tried to make it look like some of them heard something in the distance and just lost interest and wandered off. I think it would have been better to have some sort of distraction, even if it was not another person showing up. That was pretty lazy, imo.
Not lazy at all as Enid was right there. She could have done something that was not shown on screen. No issue at all.

Didn't they show a can rolling as a distraction? Something, presumably Enid made the can roll. My impression was that Enid slowly distracted the walkers so that Glenn could get out.

Didn't they show a can rolling as a distraction? Something, presumably Enid made the can roll. My impression was that Enid slowly distracted the walkers so that Glenn could get out.
Possible, I suppose. Which would also mean she watched the whole thing go down and knew he was under there for what they made seem like a good bit of time. I didn't get the feeling that they intended it to seem like Enid was responsible. I think she just showed up for the aftermath. They love to leave stuff like that for open interpretation. aka lazy writing. :D

ETA: although she did have the canned goods inside the building where she had been holed up, so :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
prosopis said:
I am glad Glenn is alive but that was a cheap trick. There is no way he crawls under the dumpster they used in the episode where he may have died. They switched dumpsters, that does bother me. It was a cheap trick.
Yup. A lot of his body was exposed while Nick was being chewed up. Makes no sense that all those walkers just ignored Glenn that whole time. I was hoping there would be a good explanation for Glenn surviving that situation. Unfortunately it was pretty much Sylar at the end of Season 1 of "Heroes" in terms of its plausibility.

Kinda limping toward the mid-season finale. I don't think that's ever happened before. At least next week should be pure chaos so good chance for the show to get back on track for the season.

phatdawg said:

He was able to wait out the zombies because the entry points were blocked with dead zombies. But I found his escape farfetched and feel like the writers don't respect their audience with something like that.

prosopis said:
Yup. A lot of his body was exposed while Nick was being chewed up. Makes no sense that all those walkers just ignored Glenn that whole time. I was hoping there would be a good explanation for Glenn surviving that situation. Unfortunately it was pretty much Sylar at the end of Season 1 of "Heroes" in terms of its plausibility.Kinda limping toward the mid-season finale. I don't think that's ever happened before. At least next week should be pure chaos so good chance for the show to get back on track for the season.
I had a feeling he'd be alive and I'm fine with it, but please don't compare it to Heroes. The whole storyline was about killing Sylar and he was stabbed through the chest with a sword. Coming back from that is a bit different than somehow escaping under a dumpster (which was big enough in the screenshots for Glenn to fit under - some posts earlier said it wasn't). One is far fetched but plausible, the other was just plain insulting to viewers. I'm sure some people in here will say the latter was Glenn but for me Sylar was far worse. I don't know the feeding patterns of zombies so I'm OK with believing that Glenn could slide out under the other body. They showed zombies going after him and he killed them this hiding him a bit more. Enid distracted the rest.

prosopis said:
Yup. A lot of his body was exposed while Nick was being chewed up. Makes no sense that all those walkers just ignored Glenn that whole time. I was hoping there would be a good explanation for Glenn surviving that situation. Unfortunately it was pretty much Sylar at the end of Season 1 of "Heroes" in terms of its plausibility.Kinda limping toward the mid-season finale. I don't think that's ever happened before. At least next week should be pure chaos so good chance for the show to get back on track for the season.
I had a feeling he'd be alive and I'm fine with it, but please don't compare it to Heroes. The whole storyline was about killing Sylar and he was stabbed through the chest with a sword. Coming back from that is a bit different than somehow escaping under a dumpster (which was big enough in the screenshots for Glenn to fit under - some posts earlier said it wasn't). One is far fetched but plausible, the other was just plain insulting to viewers. I'm sure some people in here will say the latter was Glenn but for me Sylar was far worse. I don't know the feeding patterns of zombies so I'm OK with believing that Glenn could slide out under the other body. They showed zombies going after him and he killed them this hiding him a bit more. Enid distracted the rest.
I love this show but that was pretty bad. I can't think of a single reason within the context of this show as to why hundreds (thousands?) of walkers would ignore a live person like all those walkers did with Glenn. You'd think one of them at least would notice there's another living person there and take a bite out of him. I like Glenn and I'm happy he's alive but the explanation provided for how he managed to escape that situation was really poor in my opinion. I didn't think it was plausible and the first thing I thought of was Sylar. In both cases, the character didn't die because the writers didn't want him dead even though they put both in situations where logically within the context of the show they should have died.

This was like the old movie serials where they show the hero in a car driving off the cliff only to come back the next week with a new scene showing the hero jumping out of the car well before the car went off the cliff. Since the plan was for Enid to show up there I would've preferred that she distracted the walkers in some fashion so Glenn could get away. That would at least have been plausible.

dhockster said:
Nathan R. Jessep said:
pantherclub said:

I thought the walkers were looking up.... like towards where Enid ended up throwing Glenn the water bottle from.

Nathan R. Jessep said:
pantherclub said:

So why didn't the walkers eat Nicholas' face? Lots of good meat there

so the zombies don't notice Glenn while he's laying there or shimmying under the dumpster, but as soon as he's under they notice him again? c'mon, man...

Nathan R. Jessep said:
pantherclub said:

They missed a great opportunity to get enid some fans. If she was the one who saved Glenn instead of being a little ####.

I really enjoyed the episode after watching but thanks to you fellas, I realized that I was being completely foolish for accepting such junk.

Thanks guys!

This summarizes my thoughts about Glenn's return:

I have a harder time accepting the simple physics of Nicholas falling across Glenn at the perfect angle to stop him from being bitten or at least scratched by the dozens of walkers surrounding him on all sides. It’s pure, self-indulgent silliness, which the show, for all its foibles, is not usually guilty of — and that disappoints me more than the producers‘ reluctance to kill one of the last surviving original cast members.

I’m having a hard time seeing the narrative benefit of keeping Glenn alive after faking his death. Contrary to what producer David Alpert told us following episode 603 (“I feel like, regardless of what happened to Glenn, he paid a tremendous price for having been human to Nicholas, and that, to me, from an emotional point-of-view — whether or not Glenn is alive or dead or something else — the Glenn that we knew, the one that believed in the better side of humanity, I think is dead”), nothing about how he behaved in “Heads Up” gave me any indication that he’s any less hopeful, any less inherently goodthan he always has been. There’s little character growth to be gained from yet another near-death experience after five seasons of constant near-death experiences, and because he has a baby on the way, Glenn arguably has even more reason to believe in humanity’s better angels than before.

So what was the point? Why remove his name from the credits, why even make it a mystery? Theoretically, I’m not opposed to shows manipulating their audience, as long as the producers are willing to acknowledge that they’re manipulating us — because there was no real justification for this mystery beyond toying with the audience. After six seasons, they’re certainly within their rights to misdirect viewers, but the choice will make me less willing to buy into the relative reality of the show in future, now that the producers have proven willing to stretch credulity to suit their cliffhangers.

Or, as Hitfix’s Alan Sepinwall succinctly put it, “They’ve put Glenn — who, remember, already survived seemingly overwhelming odds (albeit not this overwhelming) last season, also in circumstances involving Nicholas — in a position where there is no plausible way for him to survive, entirely to generate false suspense and false angst among the many viewers who care about Glenn.” As the Wall Street Journal‘s Paul Vigna pointed out, “That isn’t just a cliffhanger. It’s a logic destroyer.”

http://variety.com/2015/tv/opinion/walking-dead-glenn-alive-heads-up-recap-607-1201646493/

prosopis said:
I love this show but that was pretty bad. I can't think of a single reason within the context of this show as to why hundreds (thousands?) of walkers would ignore a live person like all those walkers did with Glenn. You'd think one of them at least would notice there's another living person there and take a bite out of him. I like Glenn and I'm happy he's alive but the explanation provided for how he managed to escape that situation was really poor in my opinion. I didn't think it was plausible and the first thing I thought of was Sylar. In both cases, the character didn't die because the writers didn't want him dead even though they put both in situations where logically within the context of the show they should have died.

This was like the old movie serials where they show the hero in a car driving off the cliff only to come back the next week with a new scene showing the hero jumping out of the car well before the car went off the cliff. Since the plan was for Enid to show up there I would've preferred that she distracted the walkers in some fashion so Glenn could get away. That would at least have been plausible.
I'm not going to say I wouldn't have done it differently and that I think it was a great scene, but I'll throw out some thoughts. While there were tons of walkers, only a handful of them are right there eating. I don't think they were ignoring Glenn at all. It was more like they were eating the top half of a fat guy and Glenn wiggled from underneath Nicholas. When he moved, they did see him and they went after him. A few of them tried to get at Glenn and he killed them to allow him to hide more. Again, I like your idea about Enid distracting them earlier, but I'm OK with Glenn living even if I think it is a stretch. I'll be honest and say that I haven't loved this season.

Let's just say that I don't think it was close to the van scene or Sylar surviving a sword through his chest. For those who think Z Nation is oscar worthy, the Sylar scene was like the scene where Doc was shot in the stomach, was bleeding out and looked to be dying and while in an SUV that was rolled due to a nuclear warhead blast, he just kind of recovered with no treatment. Glenn surviving wasn't even close to those.

The Variety article I quoted summed it up well for me. I thought it was needlessly manipulative and the resolution was highly implausible. I also won't let it ruin the show for me. I think examples of "lazy" or bad writing on this show are significantly fewer than most here insist. This was one of the rare times when I thought the writing was very poor, especially given the importance of what was happening. But I'll move on and hope the season gets back on track next week. The last three episodes have been underwhelming for me.

As for the entire episode, by far my favorite scene was Rick walking past Father Gabe and taking down his flyers. I thought that was great stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
This summarizes my thoughts about Glenn's return:

I have a harder time accepting the simple physics of Nicholas falling across Glenn at the perfect angle to stop him from being bitten or at least scratched by the dozens of walkers surrounding him on all sides. It’s pure, self-indulgent silliness, which the show, for all its foibles, is not usually guilty of — and that disappoints me more than the producers‘ reluctance to kill one of the last surviving original cast members.

I’m having a hard time seeing the narrative benefit of keeping Glenn alive after faking his death. Contrary to what producer David Alpert told us following episode 603 (“I feel like, regardless of what happened to Glenn, he paid a tremendous price for having been human to Nicholas, and that, to me, from an emotional point-of-view — whether or not Glenn is alive or dead or something else — the Glenn that we knew, the one that believed in the better side of humanity, I think is dead”), nothing about how he behaved in “Heads Up” gave me any indication that he’s any less hopeful, any less inherently goodthan he always has been. There’s little character growth to be gained from yet another near-death experience after five seasons of constant near-death experiences, and because he has a baby on the way, Glenn arguably has even more reason to believe in humanity’s better angels than before.

So what was the point? Why remove his name from the credits, why even make it a mystery? Theoretically, I’m not opposed to shows manipulating their audience, as long as the producers are willing to acknowledge that they’re manipulating us — because there was no real justification for this mystery beyond toying with the audience. After six seasons, they’re certainly within their rights to misdirect viewers, but the choice will make me less willing to buy into the relative reality of the show in future, now that the producers have proven willing to stretch credulity to suit their cliffhangers.

Or, as Hitfix’s Alan Sepinwall succinctly put it, “They’ve put Glenn — who, remember, already survived seemingly overwhelming odds (albeit not this overwhelming) last season, also in circumstances involving Nicholas — in a position where there is no plausible way for him to survive, entirely to generate false suspense and false angst among the many viewers who care about Glenn.” As the Wall Street Journal‘s Paul Vigna pointed out, “That isn’t just a cliffhanger. It’s a logic destroyer.”

http://variety.com/2015/tv/opinion/walking-dead-glenn-alive-heads-up-recap-607-1201646493/
I agree with this more than feeling like Glenn couldn't have survived once Nicholas was on top of him.

I think they are setting up Glenn to die in the season finale. They let people stew over his pseudo-death for a few weeks and think he's in the clear, then Bam! No Glenn for you.

The Variety article I quoted summed it up well for me. I thought it was needlessly manipulative and the resolution was highly implausible. I also won't let it ruin the show for me. I think examples of "lazy" or bad writing on this show are significantly fewer than most here insist. This was one of the rare times when I thought the writing was very poor, especially given the importance of what was happening. But I'll move on and hope the season gets back on track next week. The last three episodes have been underwhelming for me.

As for the entire episode, by far my favorite scene was Rick walking past Father Gabe and taking down his flyers. I thought that was great stuff.
:goodposting:

This sums up my thoughts almost word for word

I think the most damaging part was the wait time. If they had simply shown him go under the dumpster the next week and maybe a flash back to Glenn once in a while it would have been stupid but done much less damage. By making a pretend cliff hanger the fans had weeks to pick it apart and it felt like a troll.

I can honestly say I give this show a pass once and a while because overall I enjoy it alot but last night's episode was really a bad one IMO.

Just the whole interaction between Glenn and Enid was boring and really did nothing to advance the story. And Rick...well Rick talking to everyone was just terrible. I am going over here to talk to Porchdick's son and then I am going over here and talk to Morgan and then I am going over here to talk to the wall guy and then over here to talk to Tara. Just so boring when there is so little time left before the break.

Just way too much stuff being set up and they basically have (unless it is 90 minutes) 40 some minutes to resolve it all. If we had two more shows before the break, I think I wouldn't feel this way, but basically next week's show is going to have to be balls out action the entire time to address some of these story arcs--which means some of it will be done haphazardly,

I think the most damaging part was the wait time. If they had simply shown him go under the dumpster the next week and maybe a flash back to Glenn once in a while it would have been stupid but done much less damage. By making a pretend cliff hanger the fans had weeks to pick it apart and it felt like a troll.
For me, it just boils down to execution. Suppose Enid showed up at the exact time Nick off'd himself. She sees Glenn fall into the pit of walkers but figures out a way to distract the ones munching on Nick from munching on Glenn. Even if that takes some imagination stretching given the huge number of walkers there at least that presents a plausible reason why hundreds of walkers would choose not to eat a living person trapped underneath a body. But just having Glenn crawl under the dumpster really had the old movie serial feel and not in a good way.

I feel bad for the actors who spent the last few weeks hearing stuff about how lame it would be if Glenn just crawled under the dumpster knowing the whole time that's how he survived.

I am going over here and talk to Morgan
I thought the scene where Morgan was called to the principle's office was a good one. Did a nice job of establishing the clear lines in the sand being drawn by Rick/Carol vs. Morgan with Michonne in the middle.

I thought there were some good individual moments in the episode but as a whole it didn't really wow me. Third straight episode I've felt that way about.

I can honestly say I give this show a pass once and a while because overall I enjoy it alot but last night's episode was really a bad one IMO.

Just the whole interaction between Glenn and Enid was boring and really did nothing to advance the story. And Rick...well Rick talking to everyone was just terrible. I am going over here to talk to Porchdick's son and then I am going over here and talk to Morgan and then I am going over here to talk to the wall guy and then over here to talk to Tara. Just so boring when there is so little time left before the break.

Just way too much stuff being set up and they basically have (unless it is 90 minutes) 40 some minutes to resolve it all. If we had two more shows before the break, I think I wouldn't feel this way, but basically next week's show is going to have to be balls out action the entire time to address some of these story arcs--which means some of it will be done haphazardly,
Pretty much. Although I did think for a second that Enid was going to shoot Glenn. :wolf:

Anyone else have a problem with lesbian doc just being cool with going to help someone who just chopped up the people she has been living with the last 2 years?

Worried about making a mistake forgetting a symptom, and completely avoided conflict with porchdick......... tied up axe murderer, behind everyones back, nooooo problem.

Oh and the guy helping Rick brace the wall is growing on me, but I can't help the fact that that character should have been played by Rusty. Seriously why have this no name instead of a Griswold play the part?

Users who are viewing this thread