What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (5 Viewers)

tonydead said:
Lol, in his simple mind it is. 

No gas, bad gas, every one of the 253 million cars in the US would have a decent amount of oil in it.  
I mentioned this earlier.. They wouldn't "waste" gas unless there was an absolute need to since it is in limited supply.. well as far as we know..

In this case it was absolutely necessary to use the gas to save the town..

With the pit of walkers they tried to figure out a different way.. I mean I guess they all could have just stood on the edge and fired all of their ammo at the Dead in the pit and just hope to find more later.. same with dumping gas on all of them..

Or you could try and come up with a plan that saves the limited supplies you have, while at the same time saving the town.. As it turned out the lead them by distraction didn't work out as well as planned..

Hindsight being 20/20 and all they should have spent all their supplies of Ammo and gas and just planned to find more later. :thumbup:

I mentioned this earlier.. They wouldn't "waste" gas unless there was an absolute need to since it is in limited supply.. well as far as we know..

In this case it was absolutely necessary to use the gas to save the town..

With the pit of walkers they tried to figure out a different way.. I mean I guess they all could have just stood on the edge and fired all of their ammo at the Dead in the pit and just hope to find more later.. same with dumping gas on all of them..

Or you could try and come up with a plan that saves the limited supplies you have, while at the same time saving the town.. As it turned out the lead them by distraction didn't work out as well as planned..

Hindsight being 20/20 and all they should have spent all their supplies of Ammo and gas and just planned to find more later. :thumbup:
It's not really hindsight though when so many of us viewers, who don't even wright good stories for a living, said how silly it was at the time.

And like pointed out above and back when this season started you don't need gas to start a fire and there were many different ways to kill them in the quarry suggested that wouldn't waste a bunch of resources and were 100 times better than the pied piper plan.

I liked this last episode and am trying to defend it.  I liked that they finally used the RPG to dismantle the biker gang like they should have as soon as they pulled up on them, but, if they needed to stretch it into a mid-season cliff hanger I'm fine with that.  I also liked how they zombie ponchos didn't work.  After using that gag way back in season one and then sparingly since it only makes sense that it wouldn't have worked here otherwise why not use it all the time.  I actually think the writers are either trying harder or getting smarter.  The only problem is they have a long way to go to overcome the pied piper plan and Glenn's dumpster dive that was the disaster of the first half of the season.

How did they not work?
I suppose you're going to argue that Sam's little whimper is what attracted the zombies compared to all the other discussions going on?  The zombie poncho plan includes being quiet and acting like a zombie.  It comes with it's inherent dangers and it didn't work that time.  I liked that part of the story writing. 

IMO, as I wrote earlier, there were silly things top-to-bottom- more-so than the typical laughable moment in any given episode. 

I didn't, but did anybody else complain about Daryl taking the guy out? 

in the scene, the guy's dead body is to the side of the truck, on the side of the road. nothing between body and triangle o' bikers. 

and yeah- as soon as they pulled up on that gang last episode, it was only a matter of time before hte RPG came into play... was looking forward to it and glad it happened- especially to let the ginger get his line in.
It's a fairly long truck and the bikers are in the middle of the road. I don't think it's nearly as easy an angle as you presume. Regardless...it's an odd spot to criticize.

FattyVM said:
They've discussed the fact that the walkers are attracted to the constantly moving light and noise of fire. If they can ensure the fire burns long enough i'll buy it as a feasible zombie solution. Loved the Carl effects they showed over talking dead too, it was kinda dark and hard to see in the actual show so seeing them in detail afterward was cool.
This. The fire was a distraction for a large group of zombies. When I watched it, I did NOT have the sense that it was actually killing them, but that it was making it much easier for the Alexandrians to kill them. (easier to stab a zombie in the back of the head who isn't trying to eat you)

All in all, despite the usual improbabilities part of what makes the show so much fun), I thought it was a great episode. Plenty of one liners to chuckle at and zombie take outs galore. The biggest WTF moments for me wasn't the RPGs, or the 10 vs a thousand zombie take out.

First was Rick handing over Judith to Gabriel. No #######g way that happens in real land or zombie land. "I'll keep her safe" :rolleyes:

Second was why the hell do they keep killing off the pretty girls. Aside from Maggie, all that's left is :yucky: .

Third. Did anyone notice how Wolf guy's teeth went from uber yellow to pearly white and back again? 

Lastly was how the zombies couldn't smell the people because they were wearing meat ponchos (thumbs up to whoever thought that line up) but how could they not smell Carl's unwashed, nasty ###, live-person-BO encrusted five year old cavalry hat?

It's a fairly long truck and the bikers are in the middle of the road. I don't think it's nearly as easy an angle as you presume. Regardless...it's an odd spot to criticize.
it was one thing of many I listed- which all added up to a laughable mess for me. each thing on their own... :shrug:  ... and I wrote that that particular item was a quibble.

It boggles my mind that people who consistently whine about writing, etc. continue to watch the show.  If it bothers you that much, don't you have a dozen or more better things to do with your life?

Really, I think you just like to come in here and whine and argue... which is sad.

It's a show about.... ZOMBIES.  You know, things that don't exist.  Take it for what it is.  It doesn't have to satisfy every checkbox.

It boggles my mind that people who consistently whine about writing, etc. continue to watch the show.  If it bothers you that much, don't you have a dozen or more better things to do with your life?

Really, I think you just like to come in here and whine and argue... which is sad.

It's a show about.... ZOMBIES.  You know, things that don't exist.  Take it for what it is.  It doesn't have to satisfy every checkbox.
Game of Thrones doesn't resort to A-Team level of writing and it has DRAGONS in it.

And why would the RPG'd bikers have killed the black chick?  She's pretty cute and cute chicks have got to be in short supply in a zombie apocalypse.

It boggles my mind that some people don't understand what "suspension of belief" means. 

You're right...zombies don't exist.  Therefore it is perfectly OK for anything to happen, right?   Next week Rick finds a magic ring and gains the ability to crap fireballs out his butthole.

Game of Thrones doesn't resort to A-Team level of writing and it has DRAGONS in it.

Eh.  My wife watches GoT and I've caught more than a few episodes and there are certainly some things that one could complain about.  :shrug:   Not like I go in that thread just to complain about them.  Ya know, cuz I have a life and stuff.

Eh.  My wife watches GoT and I've caught more than a few episodes and there are certainly some things that one could complain about.  :shrug:   Not like I go in that thread just to complain about them.  Ya know, cuz I have a life and stuff.
I think the sheer number of complaints in here speaks for itself.  Do people complain about GoT, sure, but the level of writing on that show is miles above this one which is why that thread isn't full of complaints.

Also, not sure how you draw that conclusion about peoples personal life.  Isn't the purpose of a tv thread to discuss a show on it's merits, both negative and positive? 

Just started watching on Netflix. Got through the first season so far. Do they ever explain what happened and what caused everything?

I think the sheer number of complaints in here speaks for itself.  Do people complain about GoT, sure, but the level of writing on that show is miles above this one which is why that thread isn't full of complaints.

Also, not sure how you draw that conclusion about peoples personal life.  Isn't the purpose of a tv thread to discuss a show on it's merits, both negative and positive? 
apparently only positive allowed.

we've all said ad nauseum that we're fans of the show... otherwise we wouldn't watch. but it's possible to be a fan and still be critical.

I've said too many times- TWD is capable of hitting some really quality TV. Somehow making the leap that we're wasting our lives because we want that level of quality but point out and laugh when its', well... laughable... seems small and bitter. complaining about what other people write every week... must be tiring. maybe you should skip the thread or just ignore any negative comments.

I've grown envious of people who can just shut off their minds and ignore or not see stupidity... I imagine it would make things simpler. but for now, I can still enjoy the show and laugh at it. 

I've never said anything critical about Z Nation because it was honest from the beginning about what it was. TWD portrays itself as a serious drama, but dips into cartoon territory too often (especially recently).
IT'S OK- IT'S FROM A COMIC BOOK

With Chandler Rigg’s Carl Grimes character literally taking a near-fatal shot to the head on TWD, the Greg Nicotero-directed “No Way Out” Season 6 return pulled in 13.74 million viewers with a 6.8 rating among the 18-49 demo. That’s down 12% and 15%, respectively, from the total audience of 15.6 million and 8.0 rating that the Season 5 midseason debut drew on February 8 last year (not a holiday weekend). That new-year return had a special Sunday debut of Better Call Saul as its lead-out. With TWD wind in its sails, that Breaking Bad spinoff smashed cable records with the best demo debut result ever — until TWD spinoff of a sorts Fear The Walking Dead came along in April and rewrote those cable records.

In a TWD season that has seen dips for the still-massive ratings that the series based on Robert Kirkman’s comics pulls in, Sunday’s episode was pretty steady compared to its winter finale of November 29 last year, which had 13.9 million viewers and a demo rating of 7.02. Overall, Sunday’s show was the least-watched TWD midseason return since 12.26 million tuned in for the Season 3 return on February 10, 2013.
Now, people are still watching the show on DVR but the live numbers indicate decreased interest in the show.

Makes sense.  At least last season people were coming off a high (low) from Beth's death, didn't know where the group was headed next and you had the mysteriousness of Morgan.  The first half of this season was just the group fumbling all over themselves and you know people were turned off because of Glenn's fake death.

Now, people are still watching the show on DVR but the live numbers indicate decreased interest in the show.
:shrug: expected when you get 6 seasons in.. even the producers mentioned that this is when things tend to wane for most  series .. they are hoping with the expected arrival of Negan that people will return as this was considered the "slow" part of the comics.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it was Valentines Day. I had a date planned with my wife, had a babysitter lined up. So we watched it On Demand the next day. 

Wait!?!?! What!?!?!? You mean all the zombie apocalypse preparing I've been doing is for naught? :doh:

Makes sense.  At least last season people were coming off a high (low) from Beth's death, didn't know where the group was headed next and you had the mysteriousness of Morgan.  The first half of this season was just the group fumbling all over themselves and you know people were turned off because of Glenn's fake death.
11-13 million viewers who have watched it this far will likely ride it out until the end but it's clear the show peaked in season 5 in terms of viewers.

I get some of the complaints, but the ones that I don't get are the ones that expect people to make rational decisions in the midst of the the walker overrun moment.  Excluding the TV show/zombie premise for a second, Rick has proven time and time again that if there are two choices to make, he will make the wrong one. So be more surprised if he makes the smart choice on the show, because that is out of his characters wheelhouse.

I haven't caught up on the thread but has anyone pointed out how stupid it was to waste an rpg to light that lake fire?  What, no matches in the apocalypse?

Anyway. Pretty great episode. 

I'm thinking with two near-deaths for Glen this season, there's a pretty good chance we see him get offed sometime soon. Think about it, this show is huge on foreshadowing, and Glen has had plenty of time in the spotlight recently. 

However, his storyline is pretty constant, but Maggie's screen time has been pared down a lot this year. I wouldn't be surprised if she were the one to go instead of Glen. I don't see this show moving forward with two babies in the group.

I haven't caught up on the thread but has anyone pointed out how stupid it was to waste an rpg to light that lake fire?  What, no matches in the apocalypse?

Anyway. Pretty great episode. 
After more thought, maybe he wanted an explosion, plus maybe the initial lighting woulda been pretty damn hot if you were that close lighting it with a match.

Still seemed like a waste and could have been lit a more efficient way. 

Not really .  The writing on GOT is pretty damn good.  GOT makes TWD look like Scooby Doo when it comes to writing.
I can only imagine TWD would be a lot better without network TV restrictions, and that GOT would be a lot worse with them. 

But that's for another time I guess.  I haven't seen GOT yet.

Mad Men was on the same network as TWD.   AMC has nothing to do with how lazy the writers of TWD are.
You missed the point, but ok.

While true about Mad Men (which was excellent BTW), the zombie genre is horror.  Basically all zombie movies are rated R and for good reason.   I have a feeling that, without restrictions, this show could easily be better.  A lot of things are off the table due to restrictions alone. 

I also hear a lot of things about GOT that would not exactly fly on network TV. 

As for GOT, it's probably a great show and has great writers.  Yay. 

You missed the point, but ok.

While true about Mad Men (which was excellent BTW), the zombie genre is horror.  Basically all zombie movies are rated R and for good reason.   I have a feeling that, without restrictions, this show could easily be better.  A lot of things are off the table due to restrictions alone. 

I also hear a lot of things about GOT that would not exactly fly on network TV. 

As for GOT, it's probably a great show and has great writers.  Yay. 
Yeah, lack of gore, titty shots and swear words are what's severely hindering these writers. lolz

Users who are viewing this thread