What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Before I start to read all the comments.. to the guy that posted the spoiler that they "read a blurb" about the ending.. Thanks..... NOT..  :thumbdown:

Without you posting that, 95% of us wouldn't have known it "might" happen .. knowing the "blurb" made you watch for it, rather then be surprised..

So disappointing. Felt like they just wanted a cliffhanger for the sake of having a cliffhanger.

Has someone calculated actual run time? There were so many effing commercials the whole time. Seemed like every 10 minutes there was 3 minutes worth of commercials. No wonder they wanted a 90-minute episode.

Thought Negan was well done. And the lead up to the ending was decent enough. But, the way it ended is just a stupid cop out by the writers.  

Exactly. Other than that I'm not gonna even bother guessing because the writers probably haven't figured it out either.
My thoughts also.. They haven't decided just yet who to kill off.. Could be an actor or two were on the fence on returning due to other commitments and they decided to give them some time to decide and thus leave it open to who met Lucille..

Also, as mentioned earlier in the thread, one of the highest rated episodes was season 5's episode as we waited all summer to find out what happened at Terminus and so they felt the need to leave us hanging :mellow:

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Copeman said:

Lots of flub lately about the finale ending with the first person view of the person Negan is going to kill. They are looking up at Negan as he swings the bat at their head, then *fade to black*, and we won't know who it is until the fall.  That would suck.
You were right dude. This was totally not a spoiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
So they would rather who it is gets leaked over the summer than actually showing it in the finale? They must know who they intend on killing, judging by the reactions of some of the actors to the script. Unless that was BS too.

My thoughts also.. They haven't decided just yet who to kill off.. Could be an actor or two were on the fence on returning due to other commitments and they decided to give them some time to decide and thus leave it open to who met Lucille..
Based on the comments on TTD, none of the actors know who was hit, including Negan and probably Gimple and Kirkman.  They basically just said that it will change the other characters forever.  

Given that, it seems it would be one of the major core characters (not Eugene, Rosita, Sasha).  I think it may be Abraham personally.  His story arc was developed over various seasons and now he is wanting to settle down and have a family with Sasha.  Prime time to end him and shake up the group.  

It just seems that if it was Glenn (which everyone was expecting), then why such a cliffhanger?  I can see Abraham or Daryl.  

This one was pretty bad though.  Usually the cliffhanger has people in a situation where we are left wondering what will be the outcome of the situation, or how will they get out of it.

In this case, someone just got their head caved in.  Negan told them he would bash one person.  He did it.  The situation is basically resolved.  One person is bashed (probably dead), and the group will now have to keep giving Negan half their stuff.

Problem is, obviously, they didn't show who was bashed which was pretty stupid.  I really can't fathom why they thought that was the way to go with this.  This would have been bad if there was another episode next week, horrible if at the mid season finale, but at the end of a season?????  That was a terrible decision that really has no justification.  I mean, really, what is the point of doing it that way? 

I keep saying that knowing this part of the comics probably would hurt this moment, and it did.  I stopped reading the comics at 100, but they just ruined the best, most dramatic, stomach churning part of the comics. 

Unlike some, I am not sitting here saying I will never watch again, writers suck, show sucks, blah blah blah.  They simply ruined what should have been a scene that was near the quality of the barn scene, and instead it was bad.  It went from potentially a top 2 moment in the show to BAD.
I'm still leaning towards "the writers don't even know it" ... It could be they had one character in mind, but then someone like Daryl mentions his new show and maybe not having time to return.. So they decide to leave it as a Cliff Hanger to wait and see if someone makes it easy on them to kill their character off or not. :shrug:

I can live with the Cliff Hanger.. But what I didn't care for was no resolution to where Daryl was shot..... You leave last week with Daryl getting shot, and then :whistle: .. Just him wrapped in a blanket with blood around him  :thumbdown:

I didn't mind the ending.  It isn't the end of the story after all.  

Kirkman was asked about reactions from people who are upset over the cliff-hanger.  He said the "who died or who didn't die" is not the story of this last episode.  And that people who are upset over the cliffhanger may be missing the point of this portion of the story.

According to him, the point of this season ending episode was the fall of Rick Grimes.  He was so confident that his group could get rid of Negan's threat and successfully defend Alexandria.  He easily defeated some of Negan's men and envisioned nothing but blue skies between them and the hilltop group.  This showed him completely lose that confidence and now he finds himself and his group at the complete mercy of Negan.  

Kirkman said this story (Rick's) was the closure to season 6 of the show.  The opening of season 7 begins a new story with who actually died last night and how it affects them going forward.   

Kirkman was asked about reactions from people who are upset over the cliff-hanger.  He said the "who died or who didn't die" is not the story of this last episode.  And that people who are upset over the cliffhanger may be missing the point of this portion of the story.

According to him, the point of this season ending episode was the fall of Rick Grimes.  He was so confident that his group could get rid of Negan's threat and successfully defend Alexandria.  He easily defeated some of Negan's men and envisioned nothing but blue skies between them and the hilltop group.  This showed him completely lose that confidence and now he finds himself and his group at the complete mercy of Negan.  

Kirkman said this story (Rick's) was the closure to season 6 of the show.  The opening of season 7 begins a new story with who actually died last night and how it affects them going forward.   
No offense but that still sucks

I agree that the bolded part is is pretty obviously true.  That doesn't have anything to do with the idiotic cliff hanger though.  

You would have had the same story arc with a more impactful, satisfying conclusion if Negan had beaten a major character to death on camera and then, while the other survivors all look on in horror, he reminds Rick one more time that "You work for me now."  [credits]  That ending would have wrapped up the season with Rick completely subjugated, his group having a paid a price for his hubris, and would set us up for an upside-down world at the start of next season.

The "who died?" finale actually undercuts what Kirkman sees as the main storyline of the season by drawing attention away from it.

They could've still gotten that point across and still shown who died. Its a copout response.

I don't even think they know who got batted.

They're too big of #######. They'll want to feel people out and see who would be best received to get killed off.

It's kinda funny you guys are trying to figure out who he hit by the eenie meenie crap or whatever he was doing.

It's not Rick or Carl.  Other than that, it is completely random, and trying to figure it out based on what you saw is hilariously dumb.  Cmon. 
agreed that it's not Rick or Carl based on the comment about tearing Carl's eye out if anyone reacts, although I had thought it might have been Carl for the biggest reaction.   But I hope it's not completely random. 

A more realistic episode, Rick would have killed the first group and kept on traveling. I mean they've crushed everyone to date and just decide to play nice, derp.

It really was stupid in all aspects
agreed.  Rick was being played all along.  Even Admiral Ackbar knew what was happening here.

Great ending.

Who are the guys with Morgan? They had armor and everything unlike Negen's group.
these guys

Many things to discuss in the off season other then the "who met Lucille" part..

Maggie.. Infection from poisoned pickle?...  miscarriage???  or Womb Zombie :eek:  

Carol & Morgan.. Carol shot 3 times but yet will survive, I guess... They have met, and presumably, are headed to a new groups area.. Spoiler below from the comics

Those that have read ahead in the comics know who this new group is.. Interesting on how they decided to introduce the show watchers to them, rather then Jesus introducing them to the group like the comics.

Enid - Not going to be very happy being locked in that closet for who knows how long.. Carl's not going to get any treating her that way..

Daryl - Assuming his gunshot was to a shoulder or upper arm.. But how badly was he wounded and most importantly.. will he get his crossbow back and be able to use it?

Loving how the Preacher man has come around.. Hated his character early on, but he needs a bigger role now as his character development is pretty good.

:shrug: the budget + ratings mean this show is still VERY strong considering it's season 6.. there is a reason BB ended after 5.. after a while the audience wans and looks for the next new thrill rather than the same old stuff... and unfortunately that is all this show has going. . Survive... build.. find bad guy.. survive... build.. find bad guy.. I'm in for next year for sure as I think the Negan storyline could build nicely. .. But at some point this has to become more than.. OMG  a new bad guy who is worse then the last. Or it will end with a whimper.
Not disagreeing with the premise of your post (i.e. that TWD is becoming staid and people are losing interest) however that wasn't the case with BB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Breaking_Bad_episodes

Avgs by season (millions)
Season 1 = 1.23
Season 2 = 1.36
Season 3 = 1.52
Season 4 = 1.87
Season 5a = 2.56
Season 5b = 6.03

Enough whining about not knowing who took the beating...

The cliffhanger was brilliant. Viewers like us can all debate their theories of who they think it was and why.

As far as the writers waiting to decide who it is ... they're ABOUT to start filming the next episodes within the next couple of weeks.

Episodes will have already been written and actors are signed and on board. It's not up for debate. 

That said, I couldn't help but notice they didn't show Eugene more than once when Negan was deciding who to club.

... and the fact that he said his goodbyes to Abraham (full bro-hug), Maggie, Rick, ... as well as passing on his bullet formula.

:shrug: the budget + ratings mean this show is still VERY strong considering it's season 6.. there is a reason BB ended after 5.. after a while the audience wans and looks for the next new thrill rather than the same old stuff... and unfortunately that is all this show has going. . Survive... build.. find bad guy.. survive... build.. find bad guy.. I'm in for next year for sure as I think the Negan storyline could build nicely. .. But at some point this has to become more than.. OMG  a new bad guy who is worse then the last. Or it will end with a whimper.
Not disagreeing with the premise of your post (i.e. that TWD is becoming staid and people are losing interest) however that wasn't the case with BB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Breaking_Bad_episodes

Avgs by season (millions)
Season 1 = 1.23
Season 2 = 1.36
Season 3 = 1.52
Season 4 = 1.87
Season 5a = 2.56
Season 5b = 6.03
What I meant by my post was BB going out on a high note... Sure they could have easily gone on for another 3, 4, 5 years.. But by ending when they did, leaving people wanting more, is better then most shows do..

Which is where I think Walking dead is headed.. Sooner or later they will end it because ratings are tanking, rather then just getting out when they are ahead. :shrug:

Enough whining about not knowing who took the beating...

The cliffhanger was brilliant. Viewers like us can all debate their theories of who they think it was and why.

As far as the writers waiting to decide who it is ... they're ABOUT to start filming the next episodes within the next couple of weeks.

Episodes will have already been written and actors are signed and on board. It's not up for debate. 

That said, I couldn't help but notice they didn't show Eugene more than once when Negan was deciding who to club.

... and the fact that he said his goodbyes to Abraham (full bro-hug), Maggie, Rick, ... as well as passing on his bullet formula.
Sure.. NOW it isn't up for debate..

But at the time they filmed the episode it certainly could have been some actor's not sure if they were returning or not. Therefore the writers left themselves an out in case one them left.. Wouldn't want to lose two main characters right away if they decided to kill off one, only to have another one quit..

At least that's the theory I'm going with ;)

You might have a plausible argument here if the writers were interested in developing a well-crafted story that paid attention to details adhered to basic logic.  For example, the "who gets the ricin?" speculation from Breaking Bad.  But we all know that isn't what's happening.  When the writers decide who to kill off, it will be for reasons having nothing or nearly nothing to do with the story, with no particular regard for internal consistency.  You can debate your theories all you want, but that's like debating whether the next coin flip is going to come up heads or tails.    

That was my initial guess but if Neegan is a logical dude, would he kill the guy who was out driving by himself?  He knows they're together but it's almost an announcement of who the group thinks is most expendable.

That is a good point.. Between him having his "moment" with Abraham and the "sad music" playing.. The hand off of the recipes for making bullets to Rick could spell the end..

And also would make for a good reason to leave it as a cliff hanger.. They kill off Eugene there people would be shocked by the how, but the impact of his loss wouldn't be felt like having it be Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Abraham..
So they can leave it as a Cliff hanger for people to ponder the "who" all summer long and wonder if one of the main character was taken out..

Thinking the conversation over the summer would have been less showing Eugene going out then it will be now that we don't know the who.. :mellow:

I would have loved to have seen them kill that person off (pretty sure we all know who it will be), but I enjoyed the episode other than that. I think we all know who it will be and they could have done it right there. Pretty sure if they did it like it sounded, that would have been talked a lot more about than "who is going to get it next year."

Again, for all those not following this show, Rick is and has always been pretty stupid about things, starting with how he didn't secure a crime scene and got himself into the hospital thus sleeping through the apocalypse.

That said, I do think the fact that we all knew what was going to happen including the actor playing Negan and his bat's name, the edge was already off of this episode. Pretty sure I'm just going to keep avoiding this thread for good. Too many things spoiled about this episode to the point where I do think it ruined it a bit for me. If I didn't know anything about that scene, I would have enjoyed it more. Well of course, if we didn't get the speech and just saw him start smashing live, I would have also enjoyed it more.

Quick inventory of damage to Ricks crew:

Daryl: Shot in the shoulder. Bleeding out for what 6 hours now? How is he still conscious? I assume he will never again be able to use that arm. That's clutch hand so he'll need to find a bike with an automatic transmission I guess.

Carol: Lacerated abdomen, shot in the arm and leg. I give her an hour before she completely bleeds out?

Maggie: Miscarriage? Walker baby? Poisoned Pickle? Bad hair cut? Near death ... Can't walk.

Eugene: Clubbed to death. Took the first shot from Lucile "... like a champ" ...because as Abraham recently told him "he's a survivor". Well, used to be.

... sure do wish Shane were still around.

and why would Negan allow Rick or any of his crew to live? To get half their stuff? Why not strap these folks to the hood of some vehicles and drive up to Alexandria "Road Warrior" style and demand entry. Take everything.

Seems like a nice outpost for Negans clan. Fully walled, and guns up the wazoo. Solar power and hot showers! (so why do the Alexandrians always look so grimy. But I digress.)

Does Negan really think that Rick will just fall in line? Seems improbable.

and why would Negan allow Rick or any of his crew to live? To get half their stuff? Why not strap these folks to the hood of some vehicles and drive up to Alexandria "Road Warrior" style and demand entry. Take everything.

Seems like a nice outpost for Negans clan. Fully walled, and guns up the wazoo. Solar power and hot showers! (so why do the Alexandrians always look so grimy. But I digress.)

Does Negan really think that Rick will just fall in line? Seems improbable.
As Negan said "To work for him".. Up to this point all other groups have fallen in line after the beating and show of force..

So now he'll have a whole new community out working for him while he stays back at home enjoying the benefits. :thumbup:

As Negan said "To work for him".. Up to this point all other groups have fallen in line after the beating and show of force..

So now he'll have a whole new community out working for him while he stays back at home enjoying the benefits. :thumbup:
Exactly, his work for him line is exactly what I expected. Negan's whole new world order doesn't work unless he has groups of people who he can take from for his group to survive. He just wants to be the muscle/army and the other groups pay for protection. He doesn't want to manage the farming or the doctoring or the foraging for supplies. It's a decent plan IMHO. Easy life.

I have no interest in debating or theorizing who died. That's the problem with the cliffhanger for me. It's one of the things that annoy me about tv threads, everyone and their opinions on what's going to happen. It's pointless. I like to discuss what we did see, not what might happen. Now it will get leaked over the summer and will be ruined anyway. Why not just show it and end the season with it.

I have no interest in debating or theorizing who died. That's the problem with the cliffhanger for me. It's one of the things that annoy me about tv threads, everyone and their opinions on what's going to happen. It's pointless. I like to discuss what we did see, not what might happen. Now it will get leaked over the summer and will be ruined anyway. Why not just show it and end the season with it.
Well it seems to be generating quite a bit of discussion ... vs just watching Eugene getting his head caved in.

Doesn't seem like the latter would generate much buzz at all.

What a steaming pile of dung, even though I correctly predicted the ending when talking with a co-worker Thursday.  

And for the record, Negan only said he was going to beat the #### out of someone, not kill them. I bet nobody dies, at least not from the end scene. 

Talk about cliffhangers... HOW DOES ENID SURVIVE IN THE CLOSET?!?!

Negan might be getting bored and wants a new challenge. 
He probably expects Rick to fall in line. Season 6B was about Rick underestimating Negan.  Season 7 will be about Negan underestimating Rick.  Negan really shouldn't be doing this, considering Rick's crew has killed 40 of their guys and only lost 2 people.

Well it seems to be generating quite a bit of discussion ... vs just watching Eugene getting his head caved in.

Sure sign of a #### show is when the cliffhanger is "who did it" and not "now where will they go from here". Its just a cheap ploy to gain buzz when the writing can't create the buzz by itself. 

And it manipulates the audience while expending more of any goodwill that it has stored up.

Oh I don't deny that it will generate a lot of discussion. I was just pointing out why the cliffhanger wasn't brilliant for me. It was a letdown.

So disappointing. Felt like they just wanted a cliffhanger for the sake of having a cliffhanger.

Has someone calculated actual run time? There were so many effing commercials the whole time. Seemed like every 10 minutes there was 3 minutes worth of commercials. No wonder they wanted a 90-minute episode.

Thought Negan was well done. And the lead up to the ending was decent enough. But, the way it ended is just a stupid cop out by the writers.  
Actual run time was 1:04.  I kept pausing the episode to check the time left and couldn't believe so little was happening in the season finale.

Well, bottom line is that all of us will be "tuning in" for the season opener to see (or confirm) who got the beating.

Had they showed it, much of the suspense would have been lost.

As kids, did all of you wait until Christmas to open your gifts ... did you sneak out of your room at night and peel back the wrapping paper just a little bit?

This isn't a football game where there is a defined end point. Gotta keep you coming back for more!  And you will.

Pretty sure this was the worst finale of them all, except for Negan, he gives me hope for Season 7.  Starting to think they need to wrap up the show within the next 2 seasons.

Well, bottom line is that all of us will be "tuning in" for the season opener to see (or confirm) who got the beating.

Had they showed it, much of the suspense would have been lost.

As kids, did all of you wait until Christmas to open your gifts ... did you sneak out of your room at night and peel back the wrapping paper just a little bit?

This isn't a football game where there is a defined end point. Gotta keep you coming back for more!  And you will.
That will be true for the opener, of course, but you can't keep making the audience feel cheated/etc.

This show has slowly become "ok, who dies... we'll discuss it on the next Talking Dead".

That will be true for the opener, of course, but you can't keep making the audience feel cheated/etc.

This show has slowly become "ok, who dies... we'll discuss it on the next Talking Dead".
I have no problem with the cliffhanger.  The episode just seemed kinda boring over all.  Negan looks like he'll be a bad ### villain though.  It'll be tough to top the Governor but he's off to a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread