What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (7 Viewers)

I don't see much wrong with this show. Just watched for the first time a week ago. Great show and not like Resident Evil.
Seeing as how you ignored every one of Lost's stupidities this doesnt surprise me.
Ah, yes. Are you going to claim "lazy writing" and "plot holes" and all that here too? Sorry you need everything explained and everything told to you. Sorry you didn't get to play with Legos when you were little or Lincoln logs to expand your imagination. Go on with your bad self, you awesome critic, you.

I don't see much wrong with this show. Just watched for the first time a week ago. Great show and not like Resident Evil.
Seeing as how you ignored every one of Lost's stupidities this doesnt surprise me.
Ah, yes. Are you going to claim "lazy writing" and "plot holes" and all that here too? Sorry you need everything explained and everything told to you. Sorry you didn't get to play with Legos when you were little or Lincoln logs to expand your imagination. Go on with your bad self, you awesome critic, you.
Well to be honest TWD IS filled with lazy writing and plot holes.

Sunday's episode will be the first one that was done after Frank Darabont was fired.

Edited to add the midseason finale was actually the first episode Darabont had no connection with.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious?.....what plot holes? They haven't really done anything yet to warrant a plot.

Was Otis actually the ######## cop's brother? I heard him call him "bro" once.

Sorry that you are incapable of critical thinking and simply buy whatever stupid stuff is being thrown at you and think its the coolest thing ever. If you dont see any flaws with this show or Lost then it is you who needs to expand and use your imagination.

:lmao: :lmao:

Want to start a list?

Nice.

Sorry that you are incapable of critical thinking and simply buy whatever stupid stuff is being thrown at you and think its the coolest thing ever. If you dont see any flaws with this show or Lost then it is you who needs to expand and use your imagination.
:lol: Gold right there. Keep it coming.

Serious poster takes his fictional television shows seriously.

'shuke said:
'Porkchop Express said:
Yes, because being willing to admit that a show isnt perfect and has some issues is just being too darn serious. Nice logic.

'shuke said:
'Porkchop Express said:
Yes, because being willing to admit that a show isnt perfect and has some issues is just being too darn serious. Nice logic.
It isn't that. Just seems like you take this a bit too personally. Most people don't look at television as art, simply as entertaining escapism.

'shuke said:
'Porkchop Express said:
It isn't that. Just seems like you take this a bit too personally. Most people don't look at television as art, simply as entertaining escapism.
Then those people need to be very clear about this when they say "great show". If you just want escapism there is no need to discuss the pros and cons of the show.

Seems to me those of us who don't think TWD is very good are facing two contradictory criticisms.Mario Kart seems to be suggesting that we're too dumb to understand what it's trying to do. That we secretly wish it were a Resident Evil movie or something.If we then point out that the show has leaden dialogue, unlikeable characters, and implausible plots (even accepting the shows' own rules, because, you know, zombies), we're accused of being snobs who expect too much of the show.I think my take has been pretty much the same since day one. The Walking Dead is disappointing because it fails both as a zombie killing entertainment and as a profound meditation on our lost humanity in a dehumanizing world. It's too boring for the first objective and too trite/ponderously written for the second. Maybe it will improve.

I think my take has been pretty much the same since day one. The Walking Dead is disappointing because it fails both as a zombie killing entertainment and as a profound meditation on our lost humanity in a dehumanizing world. It's too boring for the first objective and too trite/ponderously written for the second. Maybe it will improve.
That's fine and good. Nothing wrong with that opinion. The problem I have is with the counter argument that those of us who like the show and don't have any significant issues with it are somehow idiots for liking it.

I think my take has been pretty much the same since day one. The Walking Dead is disappointing because it fails both as a zombie killing entertainment and as a profound meditation on our lost humanity in a dehumanizing world. It's too boring for the first objective and too trite/ponderously written for the second. Maybe it will improve.
This is pretty much it. Personally I'm not a big horror/slasher/action/zombie fan. If they never showed another zombie killing again on TWD I wouldn't care.That pretty much leaves the relationships between the characters and their struggle to live in this post-Apocalyptic world. Unfortunately the TWD writers have fumbled there too.

Seems to me those of us who don't think TWD is very good are facing two contradictory criticisms.Mario Kart seems to be suggesting that we're too dumb to understand what it's trying to do. That we secretly wish it were a Resident Evil movie or something.

If we then point out that the show has leaden dialogue, unlikeable characters, and implausible plots (even accepting the shows' own rules, because, you know, zombies), we're accused of being snobs who expect too much of the show.

A show should always be true to its own set of rules.

I mean what would happen if the next season of Breaking Bad started out with Walter having super powers and crapping golden eggs. Yes it would solve his money problems (among other things), but it would just kill the show because the show's rules (although far more strict than that of a zombie show ) would have been violated.

Mario Kart seems to be suggesting that we're too dumb to understand what it's trying to do. That we secretly wish it were a Resident Evil movie or something.
Woah, woah, woah. Don't bring my good name into this. I was attacked for liking the show and not caring about Shakesperean dialogue. Who knows how anyone would act given the premise of the show and what has happened on the show. I was also attacked for liking LOST. Seems to me some want to act all high-and-mighty that the show is not good or lacking something. If it is not good than those who think that should write one themselves and cast actors to act it out. Much ado about nothing overall. Some should grow up and accept the things they cannot change.

I've never understood the sentiment of:

"I hate the show and think the actors suck, but I'm gonna keep watching."

:confused:

That's fine and good. Nothing wrong with that opinion. The problem I have is with the counter argument that those of us who like the show and don't have any significant issues with it are somehow idiots for liking it.
Well, I don't think the dissenters are really responsible for that. People jumped down their throats the first time they posted an opininion. See, Manback, Harry. Pretty sure the nerd card was pulled out far before the idiot card. It's actually pretty funny looking at reactions to the first episode. Karma Police (I think) posted a "meh" reaction after several ecstatic raves. Immediately people questioned how he could possibly discount the show after only one episode (which was funny considering how many people were convinced it would be good before even seeing an episode). When I pointed out that people were just as reflexively praising the show, I was told I couldn't understand because I wasn't a fan of the source material, so I couldn't realize that the pilot's fidelity to the source material boded well. But then drpill showed up. He was a BIG fan of the source material, but he thought the pilot butchered the comic book. The reaction to him was that he was a nerd for caring about the comic book.

I've never understood the sentiment of:"I hate the show and think the actors suck, but I'm gonna keep watching." :confused:
It's really not a big commitment. I have stopped watching the show, but I never rule out the possibility that I'll be bored enough on a Sunday night to give it a shot. I don't have The World's Most Interesting Man dropping by for cocktails regularly.

It's really not a big commitment. I have stopped watching the show, but I never rule out the possibility that I'll be bored enough on a Sunday night to give it a shot. I don't have The World's Most Interesting Man dropping by for cocktails regularly.
What's your address?

Personally I don't hate the show. For all of its flaws it isn't that terrible.The maddening thing is that it could be a much better show.
Better in regards to the source material or better in regards to a better zombie show?
Never read the "source material" (comic book). It could be a better TV show period.

'shuke said:
'Porkchop Express said:
HINT: it's a show about zombies.

Personally I don't hate the show. For all of its flaws it isn't that terrible.The maddening thing is that it could be a much better show.
Better in regards to the source material or better in regards to a better zombie show?
Never read the "source material" (comic book). It could be a better TV show period.
Can you give me a specific example?

'shuke said:
'Porkchop Express said:
But it isn't.

Sure.The dialogue is stiff and unrealistic.

Sure.The dialogue is stiff and unrealistic.
Thanks.

I don't know. I think that 13 episodes is pretty early to judge, jury and execute a serial series....particularly one that has 100 issues of a comic book. I know that serial shows can be a bit of a risk in regards to losing viewers (particularly early on) because the exposition is often spread out over a longer period of time than a movie.....and I do think that The Walking Dead failed in this. I think it didn't give new viewers that "hook" that other successful serial series (like maybe Battlestar Galactica or LOST) gave and instead maybe relied on the lure of "it's a zombie show" to keep newcomers interested. The funny thing about that is I think that most of the things that were added (the jaunt to the CDC, the gangbangers with the heart of gold, the tension brought about by the character of Meryl and the one main thing removed,

Carl shooting and killing Shane when he looses it on Rick
, were done to soften the comic for average TV viewers....so in this the producers didn't give new viewers enough credit. With that being said, I think they are finally (by the looks of the previews) getting around to the main narrative in the comic.

I really can't comment on the acting,FX or dialouge. I don't quite understand the motives of Hershel in not letting them stay (but I got to imagine they're trying to juxtapose his actions against future "fiefdom rulers") and I'm not a huge fan of the Andrea/Shane/Dale angle....but they aren't deal breakers.

'shuke said:
'Porkchop Express said:
But it isn't.
I know. I just think the arguing between these two is childish and their statements are ridiculously hyperbolic.

I don't know. I think that 13 episodes is pretty early to judge, jury and execute a serial series
To a certain extent that't the downside to shorter seasons (which I generally approve of). It's absolutely true that many shows that turned out to be pretty good had not found their feet by their 13th episode. For those shows, that was normally half way through their first season. But the Walking Dead has given us six hours. Then a break and lots of hype about coming back. And then another six hours. And then more hype. It's not giving itself the luxury of finding its feet.

'shuke said:
'Porkchop Express said:
Never said they didnt, but they are the ones who get personal and offended if you dare to criticize it and point out some of its (many) flaws.

I don't know. I think that 13 episodes is pretty early to judge, jury and execute a serial series
To a certain extent that't the downside to shorter seasons (which I generally approve of). It's absolutely true that many shows that turned out to be pretty good had not found their feet by their 13th episode. For those shows, that was normally half way through their first season. But the Walking Dead has given us six hours. Then a break and lots of hype about coming back. And then another six hours. And then more hype. It's not giving itself the luxury of finding its feet.
It's not up to the show when they are aired. It's up to the network.

And thats the thing, I dont hate it either. I hate the fact that it could be so much better with improvements to the acting and writing, and by extension the characters and situations. Maddening to see unrealized potential.

Users who are viewing this thread