What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Maggie's story arc this season has been an enormous waste of an opportunity as the article posted said. She's barely been in the season and no one should've been focused on more after the deaths of Glenn and Abe. The season has hinted at things the characters have gone through but hasn't developed many of them fully enough. Rick's had moments but just when we see something with him he's gone for an episode or two. The structure of the season has been pretty poor overall. I really like Jesus as a character. I'm hoping his role on the series becomes more pronounced.

I don't think the last two episodes are enough to save a down season but they can at least be powerful and get the show pointed back in the right direction again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maggie's story arc this season has been an enormous waste of an opportunity as the article posted said. She's barely been in the season and no one should've been focused on more after the deaths of Glenn and Abe. The season has hinted at things the characters have gone through but hasn't developed many of them fully enough. Rick's had moments but just when we see something with him he's gone for an episode or two. The structure of the season has been pretty poor overall. I really like Jesus as a character. I'm hoping his role on the series becomes more pronounced.

I don't think the last two episodes are enough to save a down season but they can at least be powerful and get the show pointed back in the right direction again. 
the bolded above is why you know the writing or whatever is so awful. This season, as most have pointed out, has been about 75% filler. Plenty, plenty of time to do the character development if that is what the show wants to do. But unfortunately, i think it has been a few seasons since a character has evolved well or grown. And they haven't been able to really develop new characters, except for some of the randoms like Jerry from Kingdom

the bolded above is why you know the writing or whatever is so awful. This season, as most have pointed out, has been about 75% filler. Plenty, plenty of time to do the character development if that is what the show wants to do. But unfortunately, i think it has been a few seasons since a character has evolved well or grown. And they haven't been able to really develop new characters, except for some of the randoms like Jerry from Kingdom
Like I said before, I thought Rick's story and evolution last season was really well done.

I don't subscribe to the belief as others do that the writing typically sucks. I do believe this season has fallen way short of expectations, though. 

agree with most of that article.

imo, the biggest problem with the show is how laughably easy it is to kill zombies at this point. it's zombie-land, without anything funny. I also prefer the band on the run and scavenging- that, combined with zombies that are actually a threat... even the ninja no-twig breaking stealth forest zombies... makes this world more interesting. more interesting than a bunch of humans behaving in ways nobody ever would.

to disagree with the article... they've found the ideal spot to ride this out in eco-off-the-grid luxury of alexandria. sure, it makes for somewhat boring tv but I get why they wouldn't want to leave.

Like I said before, I thought Rick's story and evolution last season was really well done.

I don't subscribe to the belief as others do that the writing typically sucks. I do believe this season has fallen way short of expectations, though. 
unfortunately i don't have faith in the TV show like you do, but if you like Rick's story, you'll like where it goes going forward. If they stick to the comic book, his character continues to evolve and is interesting the issues he has to face. i think i mentioned before that i was concerned after the war the story would die out, but Kirkman did a good job with fresh ideas and not recycling the same basic premise (or if he did adding new angles or variables to them)

agree with most of that article.

imo, the biggest problem with the show is how laughably easy it is to kill zombies at this point. it's zombie-land, without anything funny. I also prefer the band on the run and scavenging- that, combined with zombies that are actually a threat... even the ninja no-twig breaking stealth forest zombies... makes this world more interesting. more interesting than a bunch of humans behaving in ways nobody ever would.

to disagree with the article... they've found the ideal spot to ride this out in eco-off-the-grid luxury of alexandria. sure, it makes for somewhat boring tv but I get why they wouldn't want to leave.
I addressed the last point a week or so ago. They have an entire community of people now. How could all of them just get up and leave? That makes no sense whatsoever. Yes, we're only focused on the group but Rick has taken over protection of more people than that now. He can't just tell dozens (or more) of them - "Sorry, we're gonna bounce. Try not to get killed by Negan when we're gone." That would be truly awful writing in my opinion.

unfortunately i don't have faith in the TV show like you do, but if you like Rick's story, you'll like where it goes going forward. If they stick to the comic book, his character continues to evolve and is interesting the issues he has to face. i think i mentioned before that i was concerned after the war the story would die out, but Kirkman did a good job with fresh ideas and not recycling the same basic premise (or if he did adding new angles or variables to them)
I think Gimple has done damn good work on this show as the showrunner overall so while this season hasn't been anywhere near up to snuff I'm not giving up on him yet. 

I think Gimple has done damn good work on this show as the showrunner overall so while this season hasn't been anywhere near up to snuff I'm not giving up on him yet. 
i know he has taken a lot of heat, but i wonder how much of it is his fault vs. AMC execs. i mean it is hard to put all the blame on Gimple if AMC is telling him they need to produce 18 epidsodes a year, and wants this to last multiple years. All the filler episodes or horrible decisions like the Glenn fake-out would be hard to blame only on the show

Heck, most shows can't keep it good for more than 2-3 seasons.

We are all pissed because Season 7 isn't on par.
i think you need to consider source material with most of these. some shows are written for 1 season, and that is why they can make it 2-3 seasons. Walking Dead came into the show with at least 4-5 years of good material. 

is this episode worth a watch, just fast forward or ditch it all together?  The last few posts are not very kind to this weeks show.

Let me guess, another episode where they are slowing building for the war.
I never watch WD live and generally FF every emotional conversation that takes place.  It averages out to a solid 10-15 minutes of viewing each episode.  Makes the show bearable and you're still able to follow the plot. 

i think you need to consider source material with most of these. some shows are written for 1 season, and that is why they can make it 2-3 seasons. Walking Dead came into the show with at least 4-5 years of good material. 
And we are almost done with 7 seasons.. As you said they've stretched out 5 years to 7 .. so far... this season has definitely been the slowest and if next season is as good as expected most of us will give them a pass.. But, as with the Sophia storyline, the payoff better be HUGE or it might be the :shark:  season.

And we are almost done with 7 seasons.. As you said they've stretched out 5 years to 7 .. so far... this season has definitely been the slowest and if next season is as good as expected most of us will give them a pass.. But, as with the Sophia storyline, the payoff better be HUGE or it might be the :shark:  season.
i love the whole concept of "jump the shark". I gave my 2 calls when Tyreese was introduced how he was (i would have to watch the episodes for a particular scene, i am sure there is one) or when the whole Glenn fiasco occurred. 

modogg said:
honestly, I would love if you read the comic to get to where we are now in the story to get a sense of how this story should have been told. I think the character development is there, but from the feedback it seems that a lot of people are really not that interested in the characters. Look at where interest was for Daryl and Carol, and even Ezekiel when he first arrived. And with the way they have run the show and wasted viewer's time, there isn't a ton of emotional connection.

Look at the arc of Richard from last week. They could have made that much more impactful if they didn't always beat the viewers over the head with it. They could have planted seeds in prior episodes and let the viewers become more connected. George RR Martin explained it well as a 3-part of telling a story. You first give a hint for the top 1% of people who might catch it at that time, then tell a 2nd part where you reveal a little more so average viewers can catch it, then one last one where you ensure everyone catches the hint. It seems in Walking Dead show they only know how to do the 3rd step. This is seen horribly in the Dwight character and how they have shown his character this season. Could have been much better

only reason the show is on strong ground is because the source material is good. My complaint with the show is that it could have been, and should have been, much better.
Shhh, comic better than the tv drama kind of ruins the argument that it's a good show considering its base on a comic theory that we are used to hearing. 

Bossman said:
Did Jesus or someone else give Rosita and Sasha directions to Negans compound?

I don't remember either one of them being there but Sasha knew just where to go to get a sniper shot at the back door.

What was that whole scene about when Sasha and Rosita cut a hole in the fence, set a car on fire, then climb over the fence. Was all that just to get a car? Is there now a car shortage? They probably passed a half dozen used car dealerships up to that point. Or just one in someones driveway perhaps? And the one the take has no keys. So go with the Hollywood touch two wires together and start the engine while walkers are attacking. "We got the car started but we can only drive straight because without the keys the steering wheel is locked". So dumb.

The walkers with their heads fused to the fence with molten metal don't seem like such a deterrent now.

You could breach the fence right next to one without being harmed.

Saviors come for the doctor ... put him in the bed of 1982 Dodge diesel pickup truck with smoke stacks in the bed.

"You're extremely important to Negan now doc. Here's your ride ... try not to die of carbon monoxide poisoning before we get back to Negans. It's only 90 mins away.

and as someone else mentioned ... Fear TWD mini trailer thing they feed us every week. Apparently walkers in a coal cart with a canvas draped over them ... do not move or make noise until said canvas tarp is removed. Then they spring into full groan and feed mode.

The writers don't really put much thought or effort into these things.
:lmao: The fence breach was the worst. Hey mullet, before you go and give the walkers silver domes maybe let's finish putting than around the entire fence?

pantherclub said:
After 2+ years would every car battery be dead? 
Every car that wasn't regularly started yes. Silly starting cars with an inch of dust on them.   They should just stick a power pack jumper in their backpack.  :shrug:

Finally saw this.  Pretty bad and just sloppy all around.  If those 2 girls could get that close to the compound undetected then this is going to be a quick war.  Anyone with an ounce of military knowledge could lay siege to that place  if you could get that close with a few people with guns.

Also I really dont understand why they are not slowly taking out the groups that come to the communities.  How hard would it be to simply set up an ambush and take out the dudes.  It would be a long time before Negan figured out what was going on and then it would be too late.

Every car that wasn't regularly started yes. Silly starting cars with an inch of dust on them.   They should just stick a power pack jumper in their backpack.  :shrug:
That bugs me more than the "bad gas"...  Every battery in every car would be long dead by now...  At least if they showed them carrying around a jump & carry that they keep charged up with a generator, that would make sense..  I understand it's a "little" detail.. but when you skip enough "little" details, you end up with this season.. crap

The nonchalant attitude of the two girls (especially Sasha) killing the two lone walkers on their way to Negan's house was annoying.  She rolled her eyes as if walkers are just a nuisance at this point.  I wanted her's to bob right and bite her on the neck, taking her down for the feast as Rosita looks on with horror, at first... then she ignores Sasha's outstretched hand and takes her backpack (and her necklace back) and walks away.  

The nonchalant attitude of the two girls (especially Sasha) killing the two lone walkers on their way to Negan's house was annoying.  She rolled her eyes as if walkers are just a nuisance at this point.  I wanted her's to bob right and bite her on the neck, taking her down for the feast as Rosita looks on with horror, at first... then she ignores Sasha's outstretched hand and takes her backpack (and her necklace back) and walks away.  
been that way for at least this whole season, if not last.. They have become accustomed to them and how to kill so it doesn't even phase them.. Just look at the Rick and Michonne episode where they were throwing jokes back and forth to each other as they killed them. and in reality, at this time  other then when there is a group o f them coming at you, taking one at a time is "easy" to them :shrug:

To be fair the zombie population would be rotten and non-existent after almost two years, which they portray well sometimes with how easily they tear apart.  The smart thing to do would be to let them die off and concentrate on humanity trying to rebuild itself.  With less tigers and MacGyvered situations.  

Two pages with no mention of Eugene's radio conversation that Sasha and Rosita overheard. :obc:

That was great.

As for taking out the Negan clans that come to the Kingdom/Hilltop, yeah, my guess is when READY they would probably start with wiping them out easily.  However, I have a feeling this little ##### cat ambush is going to put a dent in that possibility moving forward. 

Finally saw this.  Pretty bad and just sloppy all around.  If those 2 girls could get that close to the compound undetected then this is going to be a quick war.  Anyone with an ounce of military knowledge could lay siege to that place  if you could get that close with a few people with guns.

Also I really dont understand why they are not slowly taking out the groups that come to the communities.  How hard would it be to simply set up an ambush and take out the dudes.  It would be a long time before Negan figured out what was going on and then it would be too late.
Well to be fair I don't see them getting the jump on the large group that comes to hilltop.  They show up like 30 deep with machine guns.

The smaller group that shows up to the kingdom, that's more likely and I am betting that happens at some point.

I know it falls into the "everything they do is stupid" bucket, but I love how they just give up on the sniper plan after one missed opportunity. I guess the radio conversation they heard indicated that the saviors would be sweeping the outer buildings,  but backing out and then coming back is a hell of a better plan than a 2 woman guns blazing infiltration. 

Of course, I'm giving 2 women credit for some ability to be rational, which might be a mistake

I know it falls into the "everything they do is stupid" bucket, but I love how they just give up on the sniper plan after one missed opportunity. I guess the radio conversation they heard indicated that the saviors would be sweeping the outer buildings,  but backing out and then coming back is a hell of a better plan than a 2 woman guns blazing infiltration. 

Of course, I'm giving 2 women credit for some ability to be rational, which might be a mistake
You are preaching to the choir now. I was fine with some of the stupid stuff before because the rest of the show was solid and you can understand that they have to get to point X, so they can't be perfect zombie killers.

That said, these personal vendetta moves where you know their actions are absolutely 100% effing everything up. I know packersfan is trying his best to keep us optimistic, but damn this season has been in the toilet. My son and I used to be excited to watch and this season we are both having trouble just watching because it has been bad. When they do stupid stuff and that is the core of the episode, then it's a problem.

I hate that I've become what I used to defend the show from, but the quality of this season is about 5-10% of the other seasons.

Well to be fair I don't see them getting the jump on the large group that comes to hilltop.  They show up like 30 deep with machine guns.

The smaller group that shows up to the kingdom, that's more likely and I am betting that happens at some point.
Even if they are 30 deep if they are surrounded and the initial surprise would take out at least half.  Any person with a hint of military tatics could figure this out stat.

To be fair the zombie population would be rotten and non-existent after almost two years, which they portray well sometimes with how easily they tear apart.  The smart thing to do would be to let them die off and concentrate on humanity trying to rebuild itself.  With less tigers and MacGyvered situations.  
Are you forgetting the fact that every time a human dies they would turn into a new zombie?

Two pages with no mention of Eugene's radio conversation that Sasha and Rosita overheard. :obc:

That was great.

As for taking out the Negan clans that come to the Kingdom/Hilltop, yeah, my guess is when READY they would probably start with wiping them out easily.  However, I have a feeling this little ##### cat ambush is going to put a dent in that possibility moving forward. 
I think Eugene is planning something, his ability to order the troops around will come in handy for Rick's crew.

Are you forgetting the fact that every time a human dies they would turn into a new zombie?
No, the rate at witch the outbreak happened (even more dramatically shown on FTWD) had the vast majority of the population infected in the first weeks.  Then rather quickly our heroes figure out to poke people in the head as soon as they die.  The death no one knew about that would sneak up on them two years later would be a rarity**.

**That is if they're smart about it like sleeping alone behind locked doors(or prison cells when they had the opportunity).

No, the rate at witch the outbreak happened (even more dramatically shown on FTWD) had the vast majority of the population infected in the first weeks.  Then rather quickly our heroes figure out to poke people in the head as soon as they die.  The death no one knew about that would sneak up on them two years later would be a rarity**.

**That is if they're smart about it like sleeping alone behind locked doors(or prison cells when they had the opportunity).
Even if they don't sleep behind bars, the infection would not spread fast.  As soon as someone is bit they would wake up and kill the walker or at the very least get away and someone would kill the walker.  Then the person who was bit would die, and it ends there. 

The scene at the prison wasn't very realistic IMO. 

(haha, "realistic")

I thought it was Daryl at first but Dwight may make more sense.  Both he and Daryl have crossbows, but not sure why Dwight would walk around with a crossbow when all sorts of guns are available.  I actually hope it is Dwight and he takes her to Negan. 

I thought it was Daryl at first but Dwight may make more sense.  Both he and Daryl have crossbows, but not sure why Dwight would walk around with a crossbow when all sorts of guns are available.  I actually hope it is Dwight and he takes her to Negan. 
Or its Dwight and he helps her escape

Because guns run out of ammo and jam? If you get good with a crossbow you essentially have unlimited ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread