What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (2 Viewers)

What the... ????

Some here would call me a "Fan Boy" and even I wouldn't put WD close enough to BB as the "best evah"  to smell the Meth cooking. :loco:
I said "some of the".  Doesn't mean "the".  Maybe I should have been more specific.   How about "one of my top ten shows in recent memory".  That better? :lol:

I still haven't watched a season of BB.  I know I know.  I will grab the first season at some point.  That and GOT.  My son keeps telling me to watch them both, but the wife isn't interested in either of those shows, and we usually watch TV together.  I'll have to catch up when she leaves me.  
Yeah I haven't watched BB either, so for people to use it as a comp doesn't do anything for me.  That said, I am a GOT guy and it is also "some of the best TV evah".  But, due to things like budgets, it is far and away better than TWD, especially at this point.  Still doesn't take away from the fact that the first few seasons of TWD were excellent.  

In a way, I think Breaking Bad has been overrated. It's very, very good and you can tell the showrunners had it well thought-out once it gained steam. But there are some really silly stretches, too, that make little sense. That said, it was as good as a serialized TV drama got until then (I think it's since been surpassed by The Americans, Rectify, and - ironically enough - Better Call Saul)

Game Of Thrones is at least a notch below BB - the plotting is sloppy as hell, for one thing. But it can hit "oh ####!" notes like no other show in TV history.
Man, maybe I should try BB.   I just don't like pure dramas.  I need a little action. :lol:

Yeah I haven't watched BB either, so for people to use it as a comp doesn't do anything for me.  That said, I am a GOT guy and it is also "some of the best TV evah".  But, due to things like budgets, it is far and away better than TWD, especially at this point.  Still doesn't take away from the fact that the first few seasons of TWD were excellent.  

Man, maybe I should try BB.   I just don't like pure dramas.  I need a little action. :lol:
Oh, you will get action with BB

Yeah u need to

The first few seasons were pretty close.  I don't think it's that crazy to compare the first few seasons of twd to bb.  Bb was better overall and did it longer no question. Bb also never had multiple throw away episodes where nothing happened and you never wanted to watch those again.  Those seem to be happening more and more on twd on top of the horrible writing, CGI, etc.
I don't know about that.  That episode where Walter went crazy over the fly and cleaning was pretty bad.

I don't know about that.  That episode where Walter went crazy over the fly and cleaning was pretty bad.
Disagree - IMO, The Fly was better than any single episode of TWD outside of the pilot. Even so, you picked the one BB episode - and the ONLY one - that there's any kind of hatred for. 

Disagree - IMO, The Fly was better than any single episode of TWD outside of the pilot. Even so, you picked the one BB episode - and the ONLY one - that there's any kind of hatred for. 
I also didn't hate that episode.  Not one of their best but I understood it

Name another
I agree that BB was one of the best shows ever, but for some reason I'm not into watching it again.  Not sure why that is and I hope I have a change of attitude.  I can watch TWD episodes over and over, especially those from the first two seasons.  I also haven't liked this season for the most part, but I don't like the group being submissive to Negan and I will never watch the first episode of this season again.  That was too hard to watch.  Also, Rosita is hard to watch, except her looks.   They should have killed her off. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that BB was one of the best shows ever, but for some reason I'm not into watching it again.  Not sure why that is and I hope I have a change of attitude.  I can watch TWD episodes over and over, especially those from the first two seasons.  I also haven't liked this season for the most part, but I don't like the group being submissive to Negan and I will never watch the first episode of this season again.  That was too hard to watch.  Also, Rosita is hard to watch, except her looks.   They should have killed her off. 
The first couple seasons, the walker's were still a threat.  Now one good man or woman can take out 20 of them on his/her own in a single battle (or they can just hide under a dumpster).  Without the walker threat, this show is becoming just a glorified soap opera.  I haven't given up on it yet, but I no longer HAVE to watch it Sunday night.  I can catch the rerun on Monday.

The first couple seasons, the walker's were still a threat.  Now one good man or woman can take out 20 of them on his/her own in a single battle (or they can just hide under a dumpster).  Without the walker threat, this show is becoming just a glorified soap opera.  I haven't given up on it yet, but I no longer HAVE to watch it Sunday night.  I can catch the rerun on Monday.
:goodposting:

This is where I'm at. Though I usually don't get around to it until about Thursday or so.

I'm not sure if it has been discussed because I usually don't catch these until a week later or so now, but the episode where Morgan killed Richard was really really good.  Well paced, interesting approach to telling an interesting sub-story, well acted, no crazy crap just to create suspense.  It felt like a season 1 or season 2 episode.

I was disappointed that it went back to the crazy dumb crap after that (must have been a different director that episode?), but it was a nice reprieve.

20 is putting it mildly.  They've fought off literally hundreds a few times now.  Except when they need to artificially create some suspense.  Then all of the sudden those same people are incompetent.  Like when Gregory was fighting that walker (that snuck up on him in the middle of a big open area, no less) a few episodes back and all of the sudden Maggie was stuck arm wrestling the lone walker that she had walked up to kill.

In a way, I think Breaking Bad has been overrated. It's very, very good and you can tell the showrunners had it well thought-out once it gained steam. But there are some really silly stretches, too, that make little sense. That said, it was as good as a serialized TV drama got until then (I think it's since been surpassed by The Americans, Rectify, and - ironically enough - Better Call Saul)

Game Of Thrones is at least a notch below BB - the plotting is sloppy as hell, for one thing. But it can hit "oh ####!" notes like no other show in TV history.
Game of Thrones plotting is sloppy? Wuuuut

When did this become the BB vs TWD battle for best of all time thread? Who is saying this is the greatest thing ever? It is an entertaining zombie show based on the human drama of life in a post apocalyptic world. If you are on team zombie then you are backing the losing side and will not have more than the occasional happy moment.

If you are on Walter White's team then you are watching the TV during the wrong hour of the week. 

If you are watching to see how Rick and crew does in this crappy world then you have found the right thread.

I wonder how good BB would have been had they cast someone other than Cranston. Serious idea to ponder.  He was so, so good. 

However, there has been just WAY too much comparison going on between shows.  Rather silly.  TWD is the first of its kind zombie drama based almost entirely on a comic book in what, year 7 now?   Yet people are upset it doesnt teach BB or GOT(which I have yet to see still) status.

Of course TWD was better during its first few seasons.  Welcome to basically everything ever.

Can't wait for tonight's episode to see Rick's real plan take effect after that clear misdirection from last week.  I mean, no one is that bad of a leader/planner.  Well, no pretend person anyway. 

Jayrok said:
I still haven't watched a season of BB.  I know I know.  I will grab the first season at some point.  That and GOT.  My son keeps telling me to watch them both, but the wife isn't interested in either of those shows, and we usually watch TV together.  I'll have to catch up when she leaves me.  
Try to talk the wife into BB. Mine isn't at all interested in the science fiction or fantasy shows like TWD and GOT, but she ended up liking BB a whole lot. 

The Big Guy said:
When did this become the BB vs TWD battle for best of all time thread? Who is saying this is the greatest thing ever? It is an entertaining zombie show based on the human drama of life in a post apocalyptic world. If you are on team zombie then you are backing the losing side and will not have more than the occasional happy moment.

If you are on Walter White's team then you are watching the TV during the wrong hour of the week. 

If you are watching to see how Rick and crew does in this crappy world then you have found the right thread.
Stop with this already.  It's been covered many times.  The problem with TWD is that it was BB/GoT for its first 2.5 seasons.  Then it made a huge pivot from serious drama to action romp.  If it had just been an action romp from the get-go, people wouldn't have faulted it for being that.  But they ran out their good show-runners and replaced them with mindless zombies.  Which I guess is fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, why do the characters on the show give Rick so much love.  He's almost got them killed half a dozen times due to his poor judgment.

Carol is the one who should be getting all the love.
While true, I'm not sure that that matters in this case. No way he (nor anyone else) could have seen that betrayal coming like that.

My only complaint about the finale is how the Tiger knows who to attack. I'm sure Ezekial could set his first target, but after that?

Agreed. Guy takes a gut shot and the result is like he just had some bad Mexican food.

Bullet barely grazed his hip....watch where GP lady aims the gun and then where Rick is bleeding. Hafta think she was instructed not to seriously wound Rick, presumably because Neegan still wants to break him.

While true, I'm not sure that that matters in this case. No way he (nor anyone else) could have seen that betrayal coming like that.

My only complaint about the finale is how the Tiger knows who to attack. I'm sure Ezekial could set his first target, but after that?
No one could have predicted the monosyllabic garbage pail kids double crossing them?  Someone in this very thread did.  Just like when he just strolled into Sanctuary, Rick just can't contingency or scenario plan.  Rick sucks. 

Underachievers said:
I will be spending a couple weeks in the Albuquerque area in late May, so will be binge watching Bb in the coming weeks, with the fly episode the only one I will skip over.  Pretty pumped about taking the self guided Breaking Bad tour.  
We did that on a vacation to ABQ a couple of years ago. :thumbup:

FreeBaGeL said:
I'm not sure if it has been discussed because I usually don't catch these until a week later or so now, but the episode where Morgan killed Richard was really really good.  Well paced, interesting approach to telling an interesting sub-story, well acted, no crazy crap just to create suspense.  It felt like a season 1 or season 2 episode.

I was disappointed that it went back to the crazy dumb crap after that (must have been a different director that episode?), but it was a nice reprieve.
Have we considered that this is the reason why TWD seems to be so all over the place these last couple seasons?  I realize that Nicotero, Gimple, Hurd, etc. all work together and are familiar with each others work and the overall vision of the show and everything but maybe swapping the lead (director) role all the time is to blame for the inconsistency?  

Have we considered that this is the reason why TWD seems to be so all over the place these last couple seasons?  I realize that Nicotero, Gimple, Hurd, etc. all work together and are familiar with each others work and the overall vision of the show and everything but maybe swapping the lead (director) role all the time is to blame for the inconsistency?  
Most, if not all, TV dramas do this. I think whatever inconsistency there is would lie with the writers before the directors. 

Yeah lots of shows do it.  I know in GoT there is one particular director where everyone gets really excited whenever one of their episodes come up.  But there it's just a difference of really good vs. really really good.  The TWD directors seem to be all over the place.  It's like they can't agree on what kind of show it is.  Every once in a while there will be a really good, perfectly paced, drama episode that seems like it was straight out of season 1 or season 2.  But then other directors approach it like it's just a big dumb action show and make characters do all kinds of stupid stuff so they can get a cool zombie kill in there.

As much as I like TWD I don't know if it's fair to compare it to GOT. Thrones is in the GOAT discussion. Nearly everything about the show is not only better than TWD but just about every other TV drama in history in my opinion. But I agree that pacing on TWD can be an issue and was definitely an issue this season. But I still think the fault resides with the writers first. 

Finally caught up.  I used to love this show, even in times of cheesiness.  But everything about that last battle scene was horrible, especially the editing.

And the actors playing Jesus and the King are really bad.  Ruin every scene they are in.

Amazingly, I decided to catch up on Fear the Walking Dead episodes that were hanging around on my DVR. My son had finished the show and said it got better. I actually enjoyed where they went with it and honestly, I am looking forward to new episodes of that over TWD. It shocks and saddens me to think that is the case based on how much I used to like this show. We were chatting about the show and how if it doesn't get better this season that we might be done with it. Both of us brought up that episode where Rick bit the throat of that gang leader as an example of how damn good this show once was.

Nothing official on a Season 8 Premiere episode yet, but they did announce that the back half of Fear the Walking Dead starts on September 10th (they have wisely scheduled their break around Game of Thrones.) So that likely means the season 8 premiere which is also the 100th episode of TWD will likely air Oct 29th. Mirrors the very first episode which aired the night of Halloween, seems like only yesterday!

Amazingly, I decided to catch up on Fear the Walking Dead episodes that were hanging around on my DVR. My son had finished the show and said it got better. I actually enjoyed where they went with it and honestly, I am looking forward to new episodes of that over TWD. It shocks and saddens me to think that is the case based on how much I used to like this show. We were chatting about the show and how if it doesn't get better this season that we might be done with it. Both of us brought up that episode where Rick bit the throat of that gang leader as an example of how damn good this show once was.
it is crazy. but i think a significant portion of the audience feels this way. i can see this show going down in history as a lesson on how to ruin a good story/show. I absolutely cringe thinking what would have happened if Game of Thrones signed with AMC.

i think the decline is a culmination of multiple factors and absolutely baffling missteps (one i would argue against is the CGI of the junkyard and deer this year. I can not believe that was done and they thought it was ok, i have to think that was TWD staff telling AMC give us more money or you get more of that). My biggest fear is that people will say that 7-8 seasons is max you can get out of a series about zombies, and the decline is natural attrition. i think that couldn't be more wrong, where they are at in the story was huge selling time in the comics. the anticipation of this war should be the most exciting point in the show, and even though it still exists in popular culture, it just feels like it has lost most of it's luster. And i think if we want to blame 1 main thing, it would be the writing and how they told the source material. Whether that is AMC, or Gimple, who knows

it is crazy. but i think a significant portion of the audience feels this way. i can see this show going down in history as a lesson on how to ruin a good story/show. I absolutely cringe thinking what would have happened if Game of Thrones signed with AMC.

i think the decline is a culmination of multiple factors and absolutely baffling missteps (one i would argue against is the CGI of the junkyard and deer this year. I can not believe that was done and they thought it was ok, i have to think that was TWD staff telling AMC give us more money or you get more of that). My biggest fear is that people will say that 7-8 seasons is max you can get out of a series about zombies, and the decline is natural attrition. i think that couldn't be more wrong, where they are at in the story was huge selling time in the comics. the anticipation of this war should be the most exciting point in the show, and even though it still exists in popular culture, it just feels like it has lost most of it's luster. And i think if we want to blame 1 main thing, it would be the writing and how they told the source material. Whether that is AMC, or Gimple, who knows
I have no idea either, but it is a shame. Going from epic shows and I always go back to Rick biting that guy's throat to save Carl, to watching the tiger's crew come from inside Alexandria somehow to save Rick's crew from the garbage pail kids is just such a huge drop off. I agree that it has to be the writing. I can forgive a van flipping and landing in an impossible way, but I can't forgive the suckitude of the writing for entire episodes.

I have no idea either, but it is a shame. Going from epic shows and I always go back to Rick biting that guy's throat to save Carl, to watching the tiger's crew come from inside Alexandria somehow to save Rick's crew from the garbage pail kids is just such a huge drop off. I agree that it has to be the writing. I can forgive a van flipping and landing in an impossible way, but I can't forgive the suckitude of the writing for entire episodes.
Especially when they have good source material that wrote the story already very well. It is funny thinking about where it kind of started. I read a lot of the comics, and for me, the absolute atrocity that they did with Tyrese was just a great example of how they tried to put a twist on a character and just ruined them. 

Oct 22 is the premiere.   It will be interesting to see if it improves.   Last season was the worst for me personally.   I just didn't think it was all that great except maybe 2 or 3 episodes.

Oct 22 is the premiere.   It will be interesting to see if it improves.   Last season was the worst for me personally.   I just didn't think it was all that great except maybe 2 or 3 episodes.
did I see that FTWD is back in early sep? they can't possibly be overlapping the two, can they? 

I'm with you. Pretty much felt the exact same way. Well, except I don't know that I could come up with THREE good episodes.

Iirc, FTWD is back on tonight.... Fwiw.

Watched some of the TWD marathon recently. With how silly so much of it has become, I'd forgotten that there was a lot of good stuff in there even after the first two seasons. 

Users who are viewing this thread