Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread***


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, snogger said:

Basically from what we all worked out ( no thanks to the writers of the dam show :angry: ) is that the plan was to show the lieutenants and others listening that Rick's Group was not like Negan's and were looking to "Live and let live" as long as they gave themselves up. But of course Negan will never surrender quietly and if Rick could hit the side of a barn he would have ended this.

As it is, After Negan refused to surrender, Rick looked for revenge and took 50+ shots at him and might have wounded him.
And then was reminded by Gabriel that this wasn't about Rick, it was about winning the war.
 

That does make sense with the whole “it’s not about you” stuff they kept saying to Rick.

That’s just so corny at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The General said:
2 hours ago, snogger said:

Basically from what we all worked out ( no thanks to the writers of the dam show :angry: ) is that the plan was to show the lieutenants and others listening that Rick's Group was not like Negan's and were looking to "Live and let live" as long as they gave themselves up. But of course Negan will never surrender quietly and if Rick could hit the side of a barn he would have ended this.

As it is, After Negan refused to surrender, Rick looked for revenge and took 50+ shots at him and might have wounded him.
And then was reminded by Gabriel that this wasn't about Rick, it was about winning the war.
 

That does make sense with the whole “it’s not about you” stuff they kept saying to Rick.

That’s just so corny at this point.

yep...As we posted after the episode, they easily could have had Negan's Hench men stand outside and have Negan do his talking from behind one of the Windows.

Would have been more "threatening" as Rick & company would have no idea where he is, as well avoid the asking "Why not just shoot the bleep!!!" :wall:

Edited by snogger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:36 AM, TheFanatic said:

EXACTLY the same thing for me. What I read was the creator/writer for Heroes had a plan to basically kill all but 3-4 characters each season and have those 3-4 go onto the next season and introduce a bunch more and kill all but 3-4 and keep going. Weeellllll, the network decided that the fans loved the core group too much and wanted them all to live from season to season after they had plot elements in place to kill them. Basically he'd written himself into a corner when the network execs demanded that everyone survive (Nathan living with Syler inside him or some such? :X ) Similar situation here. They need to end the show. Now they are talking about getting to 200 episodes. There just isn't enough new ground to cover to keep it great and do that. 

That being said, I actually enjoyed the episode on Sunday night. I'm also just ignoring the fact that there is supposedly a bullet shortage. 

i'll disagree a bit. There actually is enough material to get to 200 episodes, maybe even past. The issue isn't source material, it is with the actual people in charge of the show. More and more I am thinking it is AMC at the root of a lot of the issues, but there are so many things now with TWD that are simply inexcusable that occur on a weekly basis

I have listened to a podcast called Watching Dead for awhile, and they point out so many of the things that are just either lazy writing or simply ignorant of the audience because they know people don't care. The pattern they have had for the last 4 seasons or so is this idea of beating the audience over the head with a plotline so many times it is insane. They are doing it this year way, way over the top. and what is really crazy is when seeing this story told through the comics you are just flabbergasted at how much better a comic book tells this story then a team of writers for a top rated TV show.

some highlights from the podcast that I thought were funny during the show too:

     1. Morgan's whole line to his 2 buddies about he isn't scared because "he doesn't die" was just so corny. paired with his staring contest with the zombie through the fence was just dumb, and I can't imagine a group of writers or anybody editing who would just ok this.

     2. One I didn't catch, but was funny after the podcast mentioned it was the fact that Rick killed that guy and then saw the baby. He killed that guy by impaling him on a shelf bracket, went in and had his mini breakdown with the baby, then left. So now that dude he just killed turns into a zombie and will be instantly attracted to the baby and eat it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, TheFanatic said:

I thought they just assumed that the rest of Negan's army was up behind the windows. They shot first at them behind the windows but then no one shot back. Anyone read the comic books? Anything like this happen in the comics?

:lmao: nope and even if I am forgetting some things I am confident it didn't. I can honestly say 95% of the stuff people complain about or is wrong with the show is not from the comic, and has to do with the execution of the source material. I think you really can't understand how bad these people have screwed this story up with out reading the comic story line and seeing how Kirkman told this story

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, The General said:

I get that. Just don’t make it painfully stupid and make it exciting. It shouldn’t be that hard.

Note to writers: 30 minute gun fights in hallways are dumb and the dilemma if you kill a stranger in a gun fight probably doesn’t need to be revisited again.

it really is crazy. and I think it is one of the main things currently wrong with the show. They just don't know if they want to tell an artsy story, or an in-depth thinking show, or just pure action. and because of this it comes out worse then if they chose any of those 3.

ETA: like look at Z Nation on Syfy. they know what they are, and are not afraid to do that. lots of action and plot twists, but not really any thinking needed. but because they embrace that the show is good

Edited by modogg
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, Dan Lambskin said:

I wonder how Maggie will react to not getting her pre-natal vitamins 

i'm just glad with a newborn a few rooms down, and probably some other pregnant women in this whole Neegan world, this dude decided to crush a bunch of valuable nutrients. we think Neegan gets pissed at people when they lie to him, I am guessing the scalding iron would cover this dude for crushing those vitamins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, snogger said:

BTW.. Re-watching the end of week one "future" Rick makes a statement, that if true might just send most of the watchers of the show off a cliff. :oldunsure:

  Reveal hidden contents

He says something like "I chose Mercy over Revenge" which could be interrupted, based on his conversation with Gabriel, they end up capturing Negan, rather then kill him..

hmm didn't catch that part. and if that is the case, I implore people to read the comic book version. Told literally 100 times better. The comic didn't feel the need to tell us 3 times each episode that Dwight was unhappy with Neegan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2017 at 11:41 AM, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm ready for them to move this story forward.  They are DRAGGING their butts right now.

I’m still watching, about the best I got. And what Hawkeye said. This series has a problem with moving the story arc along and suffers for it, think the season on the farm. I’m getting the feeling this weeks long firefight will drag out the whole season with a showdown between good v evil as the finale. That would be unfortunate.

But I’ll still be watching :loco:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, modogg said:

it really is crazy. and I think it is one of the main things currently wrong with the show. They just don't know if they want to tell an artsy story, or an in-depth thinking show, or just pure action. and because of this it comes out worse then if they chose any of those 3.

ETA: like look at Z Nation on Syfy. they know what they are, and are not afraid to do that. lots of action and plot twists, but not really any thinking needed. but because they embrace that the show is good

One of the reasons is they rotate directors constantly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Homer J Simpson said:

When the teenager-in-command Saviors chick got chewed up by that walker, it was the most "LOL what the frick was that" moment since the CGI deer.  Comically bad. 

She just gave up on life. It happens

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Homer J Simpson said:

When the teenager-in-command Saviors chick got chewed up by that walker, it was the most "LOL what the frick was that" moment since the CGI deer.  Comically bad. 

Reminded me of the Austin Powers steamroller scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdctnPIR5kA

Edited by shadyridr
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jobber said:

So now we're at what 1.25 seasons of The Saviors. Pleas God don't let this drag on to 2 entire seasons of this story line. 

I'm thinking the Mid-season finale would be a great "Stopping" point for this war.
Can even leave us in suspense in regards to Negan.. alive or dead.??

Maybe they will go that way and "Fast Forward" after the break to bring us to Future Old Man Rick.. :shrug:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Homer J Simpson said:

When the teenager-in-command Saviors chick got chewed up by that walker, it was the most "LOL what the frick was that" moment since the CGI deer.  Comically bad. 

seriously. we have to be a year or so into the zombie apocalypse. How has she survived so long to realize the dead are turning to zombies and she sits there and waits for the zombie to attack her. Unless zombies are evolving into ninjas, that was one of the laziest/dumbest ways for them to kill that character. A stray bullet would have been better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, modogg said:

seriously. we have to be a year or so into the zombie apocalypse. How has she survived so long to realize the dead are turning to zombies and she sits there and waits for the zombie to attack her. Unless zombies are evolving into ninjas, that was one of the laziest/dumbest ways for them to kill that character. A stray bullet would have been better

A year?  We are like in year 3 pushing year 4 now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, modogg said:

seriously. we have to be a year or so into the zombie apocalypse. How has she survived so long to realize the dead are turning to zombies and she sits there and waits for the zombie to attack her. Unless zombies are evolving into ninjas, that was one of the laziest/dumbest ways for them to kill that character. A stray bullet would have been better

That was the writers way of illustrating their plan - pin them down with gunfire, let the dead turn, and then the walkers clean up the rest of the living.  They needed to beat us over the head with that concept, so they showed her die by walker bite rather than stray bullet otherwise their (perceived) idiot audience wouldn't have understood what was going on.  

I agree, seeing the walker coming and not doing a damn thing except sit there and let it come bite you is asinine.  They could have had it sneak up behind her as she's up and firing or something at the least.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wlwiles said:

That was the writers way of illustrating their plan - pin them down with gunfire, let the dead turn, and then the walkers clean up the rest of the living.  They needed to beat us over the head with that concept, so they showed her die by walker bite rather than stray bullet otherwise their (perceived) idiot audience wouldn't have understood what was going on.  

I agree, seeing the walker coming and not doing a damn thing except sit there and let it come bite you is asinine.  They could have had it sneak up behind her as she's up and firing or something at the least.  

if I had to pick my absolute biggest complaint with the show it is the bolded above. and maybe they feel they are more mainstream so they need to do so, but it really alientates the rest of their audience who doesn't need it. And they do it so many times.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, killface said:

I have also tapped out. Good luck everyone

i'm glad people have because hopefully it forces a change, and we have had one this year with more action and a little faster pace 2 episodes in. hopefully they got the point, and we don't revert back and get a 3 episode arc of the dude from season 1 and his backstory.

I don't have the fortitude to quit it, because I am just stubborn and dumb I guess. I just keep hoping that with each episode they start to correct their mistakes and can tell the story much, much better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:lmao:  so the ratings took a real bad hit for the 2nd episode from the premiere which was down, and is down like 47% since season 5. That isn't the funny part, the funny part is that the consensus is suggesting that this will cut the budget of the show. That is just irony at it's best. the reason why the show is sucking so bad is certainly being effected by it's budget, and all the AMC lawsuits are based on AMC screwing people over with the budgets. I actually am interested to see what this show would be like with less of a budget......  More Garbage Pail people please

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot it was on last Sunday.. I DVR the series, so it wasn't a huge deal and was able to watch it a few days later, but I usually never forgot about it before.. That's where I'm at right now.. I'll continue to watch it when I'm bored, but it's not "must see" tv for me and hasn't been for a long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, modogg said:

if I had to pick my absolute biggest complaint with the show it is the bolded above. and maybe they feel they are more mainstream so they need to do so, but it really alientates the rest of their audience who doesn't need it. And they do it so many times.......

Agree 1000%.  It infuriates me because we have the stupid scene you mentioned where girl sees walker animate, she sits as still as a statue, and he eats her as their way of explaining why the "good guy" group is pinning down the Saviors outpost with gunfire but not actually trying to kill everyone. 

But yet they don't explain why the "good guy" group doesn't actually try to kill them, but would rather waste 10x the ammo just pinning them down. They've beaten us viewers over the head with "use your knives, don't waste ammo" for 7 seasons now, but all prior knowledge goes out the window because it's All Out War I suppose.

Lord only knows if they'll ever explain why they had Rick and his group shoot out all the windows too.  They spend so much BS screentime dumbing certain things down, and we don't need it.  But the stuff that does need explaining gets ignored.  


I used to love this show, but 751 pages of this thread later has really turned me into a TWD pessimist.  Damn all of you! :) 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, modogg said:

:lmao:  so the ratings took a real bad hit for the 2nd episode from the premiere which was down, and is down like 47% since season 5. That isn't the funny part, the funny part is that the consensus is suggesting that this will cut the budget of the show. That is just irony at it's best. the reason why the show is sucking so bad is certainly being effected by it's budget, and all the AMC lawsuits are based on AMC screwing people over with the budgets. I actually am interested to see what this show would be like with less of a budget......  More Garbage Pail people please

they need to offload special effects budget and invest in some writers and directors. I don't know which costs more.

I don't care about seeing insane zombie deaths or explosions or tigers or... that was a deer, right? the story is at it's best, IMO, when it's about the people and how they're surviving this particular apocalypse. the "look at the flowers" episode was probably pretty low budget, but was solid tv IMO- I'd watch that level every week without complaint. but the writers need to tell a story that isn't constantly cringeworthy plus keep consistency with the rules they've set up for this world and the directors have to be able to show the story in a cohesive way that makes sense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

That was my thought too. I thought it was somewhat obvious she just said "screw it, I give up." Seems we two are the only ones thinking that way though so maybe we're wrong.

yeah i think that is part of the issue. i would feel better if that is what the show wanted to tell the audience, but there is a big issue of a majority of your audience doesn't get that message. and there is no way i am giving the writers and show runners the benefit of doubt with it. i feel like we have had 4-5 seasons of having to do that for all kinds of things

Link to comment
Share on other sites

question for comic book readers, or those who know how the war story line goes:

 

  Why the hell are they basically ruining the whole twist at the end of the war by spelling it out 3-4 times each episode. I remember after the war when Rick decided to spare Neegan and it being a huge turn, and really was one of those "what the heck is going to happen next" moments. with them spoiling this surprise each week, it seems to really ruin the whole war and story

Edited by modogg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Well that was a pretty terrible episode 

:shrug: I thought it was a decent enough episode. They "slowed" it down a bit to make it easier to follow who was where and fighting whom.

Could have done without the "Morgan flips out yet again". Although I did like seeing Jesus handle him and Morgan's shocked face each time he got "owned".

Loved Daryl's way of dealing with people now.. Takes out Morales and says “I know who it was, Don’t matter. Not one little bit. You find them guns?”
Then at the end, when Rick "Gives his word", Daryl takes the guy out without any hesitation and nonchalantly moves onto the next steps in the plan.
Jesus, and Maggie better hope Daryl and Rick don't end up at the Hilltop any time soon. :oldunsure:

Liked seeing the confidence of the King get shattered a bit. Can't go to war and think "Not one will be lost" and expect that to be true.

Edited by snogger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Daryl is the only one with any sense right now.  But how come he can fire an automatic weapon down a hallway and not hit anything, but never misses with the crossbow and hitting a guy in the head from 30 yards away with a hand gun... left handed.  Oh brother.  :doh:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, snogger said:

:shrug: I thought it was a decent enough episode. They "slowed" it down a bit to make it easier to follow who was where and fighting whom.

Could have done without the "Morgan flips out yet again". Although I did like seeing Jesus handle him and Morgan's shocked face each time he got "owned".

Loved Daryl's way of dealing with people now.. Takes out Morales and says “I know who it was, Don’t matter. Not one little bit. You find them guns?”
Then at the end, when Rick "Gives his word", Daryl takes the guy out without any hesitation and nonchalantly moves onto the next steps in the plan.
Jesus, and Maggie better hope Daryl and Rick don't end up at the Hilltop any time soon. :oldunsure:

Liked seeing the confidence of the King get shattered a bit. Can't go to war and think "Not one will be lost" and expect that to be true.

Morgan vs Jesus is probably the dumbest scene in the entire series 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, snogger said:

:shrug: I thought it was a decent enough episode. They "slowed" it down a bit to make it easier to follow who was where and fighting whom.

Could have done without the "Morgan flips out yet again". Although I did like seeing Jesus handle him and Morgan's shocked face each time he got "owned".

Loved Daryl's way of dealing with people now.. Takes out Morales and says “I know who it was, Don’t matter. Not one little bit. You find them guns?”
Then at the end, when Rick "Gives his word", Daryl takes the guy out without any hesitation and nonchalantly moves onto the next steps in the plan.
Jesus, and Maggie better hope Daryl and Rick don't end up at the Hilltop any time soon. :oldunsure:

Liked seeing the confidence of the King get shattered a bit. Can't go to war and think "Not one will be lost" and expect that to be true.

yea it was decent.

Not sure I like where this is going though, Maggie and Jesus getting all soft now and sparing people they should be killing. Seems like that's going to be the theme going forward now for at least the next month or so.   Would have liked to see Neagan and the preacher a bit also, seems like forever ago that cliffhanger was placed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Calling it now...the padre is going to end up being the mole/working with Negan.  That's why he pulled Rick away from shooting at Negan, why he went out to save Gregory, and why he didn't just pop Negan in the trailer with the gun.  

Granted it doesn't explain Rick not being capable of shooting Negan on the platform if he really wanted to, but shut up. 

 

Edited by Skipdog77
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ftr, I didn't mind this one. 

I actually liked the conversation with the guy in the beginning ('monsters') and liked that darryl nonchalantly head-shotted him when he had his chance.

the rest was just goofiness, but that's what it is at this point. I'm at a point where it's hard to even comment on the one second they're one-shot head-shot sharp-shooters on a dead-run from 500' to missing entirely and repeatedly from less than 20... just to move the story even incrementally forward... or zombies turning instantly vs overnight or whatever for the same purpose. or moving heavy machine guns randomly from place to another because... writers. or shooting out windows... etc, etc. I guess i'm learnign to be an idiot when watchign this, as was recommended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

ftr, I didn't mind this one. 

I actually liked the conversation with the guy in the beginning ('monsters') and liked that darryl nonchalantly head-shotted him when he had his chance.

the rest was just goofiness, but that's what it is at this point. I'm at a point where it's hard to even comment on the one second they're one-shot head-shot sharp-shooters on a dead-run from 500' to missing entirely and repeatedly from less than 20... just to move the story even incrementally forward... or zombies turning instantly vs overnight or whatever for the same purpose. or moving heavy machine guns randomly from place to another because... writers. or shooting out windows... etc, etc. I guess i'm learnign to be an idiot when watchign this, as was recommended.

IMO,They've been pretty consistent with dead walking again.. go back to Andrea's sister, Shane, etc.. few minutes from dead to walking dead. :shrug:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, snogger said:

IMO,They've been pretty consistent with dead walking again.. go back to Andrea's sister, Shane, etc.. few minutes from dead to walking dead. :shrug:

Pretty sure it varies widely at the writers discretion

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DallasDMac said:

I notice Rick taking all the photos. Was that not a "He's becoming Negan" moment? I mean, the polaroids. Isn't that what the Saviors did? The whole, fine line between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" kinda thing.

Subtle they ain't

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...