What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Best episode yet.Did you see the flesh peeling back on the zombie's face as he pushed his head through the windshield? Sick.And I'm sorry, if this kid was just taking shots at me from the rooftop, I'm taking full advantage of his misfortune and getting the hell out of there after hearing that the town is surrounded by walkers.
the windshield flesh scene was great!! loved itand i agree, that fool was shooting at me? im gona take his gun and leave him to eaten by the zombies
He was just a kid trying to survive... following the group he was with... shooting at people who just killed two of his group-mates. :shrug:I'm not going to get eaten trying to save him, but I might give it a shot if it's possible.
Very obvious attempt by the writers to show a distinction to Rick's leadership style and others.

Why, when it could be survival of everyone, and the species?
In this scenario, I don't really care too much about the survival of the species. I care about the survival of myself and my family and close friends.
Wouldn't peaceful coexistence between survivors give you a much better chance of that happening?Look, I realize it makes for "good TV". But the whole premise seems rather silly. Yes, if there is a nucleur winter and food is in short supply, like after a giant meteor impact, then it might make sense. When it is zombies, and warehouses are likely sitting full of canned goods, etc, it just doesn't make sense to go around killing each other.
Doesn't make much sense to to most of us to do that today either, but there's always a certain element of the population (now or what's left over after the zombie apocalypse) who'll do that anyway. It's a strategy that might work in the short term, and might have worked for that group before. Also it wasn't really food they were after, it was a safe location to settle rather than keep drifting. When they out there was a settlement nearby, that's when it went south.Btw, what makes this farm so special in terms of safety? Why is that place any better than any other abandoned farmhouse?
I'm assuming the difference is it's still a working farm. One that has been abandoned isn't going to have chickens providing eggs, cows providing milk, vegetables growing, etc. Not to mention having people who know how to farm.If you're a group from Philly, finding a deserted farm isn't going to do you a whole lot of good. Latching on to an existing, sustainable one is a different story...

Is there ever an apocalyptic movie/show where people actually, you know, band together rather than killing each other off? Seems to me if you were down to a handful of human survivors, you might want to do your best to actually keep them alive. You know, so the race can continue. But in every one of them, any time two groups meet, BLAM, gotta kill 'em! As few people that are seen in this show, I can't imagine food is that short supply that there simply isn't enough to go around. You got a whole world's worth of canned goods. I'm thinking one large group would tend to hold up better than disparate little bands all over the place.
We sometimes forget that they are still ostensibly in full-on survival mode, which probably requires keeping other groups at a distance and which may even justify some of the moronic actions of moron Shane. But it's fun and easy to speculate on future politics and diplomacy, which is always the most interesting part of any apocalyptic novel. I think the smart thing is to gradually open up contacts with other survivors to pool security measures and skills. One group may have a doctor, another a skilled electrician. Both groups get stronger with an alliance or merger. In Lucifer's Hammer, a key character was Harry the Mailman, who carved out a niche as a roving messenger, earning his keep by traveling from group to group to bring news and serve as intermediary for negotiations. In World War Z, only a centralization of survivors was able to stem and eventually turn the tide against the hordes of zekes. That all seems pretty reasonable, or as reasonable as any tale of the apocalypse can get.

Internal politics will also be interesting. There will be conflicts between monarch wannabes (Will Patton in The Postman, who employs Shane-types as his henchmen) and more democratic communities. I imagine one of the earliest conflicts will be for people of skills, with some using force and fear to retain them and others tempting them with greater freedom and power.

Best episode yet.Did you see the flesh peeling back on the zombie's face as he pushed his head through the windshield? Sick.And I'm sorry, if this kid was just taking shots at me from the rooftop, I'm taking full advantage of his misfortune and getting the hell out of there after hearing that the town is surrounded by walkers.
the windshield flesh scene was great!! loved itand i agree, that fool was shooting at me? im gona take his gun and leave him to eaten by the zombies
He was just a kid trying to survive... following the group he was with... shooting at people who just killed two of his group-mates. :shrug:I'm not going to get eaten trying to save him, but I might give it a shot if it's possible.
I'm with ya Worm...we'll save the kid.

As someone that's read the comic since the first issue, it's been hard -- harder than I thought -- to separate the two. That's on me, as I realize they're separate works and the TV show is reaching a substantially wider audience. That said, this has become one of those shows I watch out of some geeky obligation to the medium, yet cringe each and every week at the execution. I'm glad it's doing well though, it only helps out the comic book industry which is something I care about a lot more than any TV network's successes or failures.

As someone that's read the comic since the first issue, it's been hard -- harder than I thought -- to separate the two. That's on me, as I realize they're separate works and the TV show is reaching a substantially wider audience. That said, this has become one of those shows I watch out of some geeky obligation to the medium, yet cringe each and every week at the execution. I'm glad it's doing well though, it only helps out the comic book industry which is something I care about a lot more than any TV network's successes or failures.
:goodposting:

hmmm.. Maybe it's a good thing I haven't started reading the Comic books yet :unsure:I look forward to each week's episode and Love the show. One of the few shows on T.V. right now that I consider "Must see" :thumbup:

the book is ALWAYS better than the movie ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! I guess I struggle to understand why the show is so successful (even though I'm glad to see it). I feel like it's unbelievably poorly paced.

Ha! I guess I struggle to understand why the show is so successful (even though I'm glad to see it). I feel like it's unbelievably poorly paced.
I just started reading the graphic novels and i love them, but i also think that the tv show has added some twists that arent in the books that i love...like shooting the little zombie girl that was holding the stuffed animal at the very begining at the gas station and the girl coming out of the barn...those 2 scenes stayed with me for days. So i like both the books and tv show equally for different reasons.

I just started reading the graphic novels and i love them, but i also think that the tv show has added some twists that arent in the books that i love...like shooting the little zombie girl that was holding the stuffed animal at the very begining at the gas station and the girl coming out of the barn...those 2 scenes stayed with me for days. So i like both the books and tv show equally for different reasons.
To me the image of Sophia coming out of the barn was far superseded by the agonizingly slow way they kept searching for her during the entire first half of the season.

To me the image of Sophia coming out of the barn was far superseded by the agonizingly slow way they kept searching for her during the entire first half of the season.
Anytime a child goes missing(real life) people never stop looking , even when its been so long they pretty much know the child is dead, but they need closure and we almost had to wait the whole 6 episodes to finally have closure. To get the true sense of loss you have to feel the hope slipping away every week, then to have the whole thing end like THAT was masterful writing. I mean what was the harm of having the missing child as a focal point while other story lines are developing as well, was it so distracting that you changed the channel? No...you wanted to know the outcome and the payoff was worth the wait IMO

I was glad when the guy from True Blood & Terriers made an appearance in "Nebraska". I was hoping he would stick around as a recurring character because he probably would be the best actor on the show. :(

We sometimes forget that they are still ostensibly in full-on survival mode, which probably requires keeping other groups at a distance and which may even justify some of the moronic actions of moron Shane. But it's fun and easy to speculate on future politics and diplomacy, which is always the most interesting part of any apocalyptic novel.

ACK! Deleted!

Internal politics will also be interesting. There will be conflicts between monarch wannabes (Will Patton in The Postman, who employs Shane-types as his henchmen) and more democratic communities. I imagine one of the earliest conflicts will be for people of skills, with some using force and fear to retain them and others tempting them with greater freedom and power.
That was close. I am currently reading Lucifer's Hammer and just got to the part where Harry is still delivering mail and getting shot at right after impact. Saw those words and had to stop reading! Luckily I didn't read any spoilers.

We sometimes forget that they are still ostensibly in full-on survival mode, which probably requires keeping other groups at a distance and which may even justify some of the moronic actions of moron Shane. But it's fun and easy to speculate on future politics and diplomacy, which is always the most interesting part of any apocalyptic novel.

ACK! Deleted!

That was close. I am currently reading Lucifer's Hammer and just got to the part where Harry is still delivering mail and getting shot at right after impact. Saw those words and had to stop reading! Luckily I didn't read any spoilers.
:lmao: Sorry, gb. That book was written 25 years ago and I just kinda forgot myself.

He writes it as if he's never read the comics.
I would guess 99% of the people who watch the show have never, or never will, read the comic. The review is a review of the TV show, not the comic.
Totally understand that, but having read the comics, this writer will be nothing but disappointed from here on out. This isn't a show about zombies. It's a show about humans in an extreme situation. I can't say much more, but his complaints go to the very heart of the comics. And how the story plays out.

Find an airport, find a pilot, fly to Hawaii or the galapagos and live out your days in peace.
There's probably zombies in Hawaii.
A finite number on islands. Load the plane up with ammo on top of ammo and guns. Game, set, match.
I would rather live in a very cold area like iceland or greenland - frozen zombies are easier to kill.
Actually, I thought in the survival guide they said frozen areas could be worse as frozen zombies could keep better and you could be lulled into false safety before they thaw. If you are in Hawaii, the tropical environment could decay the ones that are left and you have fewer years to survive before you are zombie free.
holy ####
:confused: Really? You've never heard of the Zombie Survival Guide? Same author that wrote World War Z that has been mentioned a few times in this thread. It was on the NYT bestseller list. Actually, reading the Wiki page, it looks like World War Z (the movie) is coming in December and Zombie Survival Guide is slated for 2014, both with Brad Pitt starring.

Anyway, I remember the section about locations. It is a good read if you like this show and you have a sense of humor.

Is there ever an apocalyptic movie/show where people actually, you know, band together rather than killing each other off? Seems to me if you were down to a handful of human survivors, you might want to do your best to actually keep them alive. You know, so the race can continue. But in every one of them, any time two groups meet, BLAM, gotta kill 'em! As few people that are seen in this show, I can't imagine food is that short supply that there simply isn't enough to go around. You got a whole world's worth of canned goods. I'm thinking one large group would tend to hold up better than disparate little bands all over the place.
We sometimes forget that they are still ostensibly in full-on survival mode, which probably requires keeping other groups at a distance and which may even justify some of the moronic actions of moron Shane. But it's fun and easy to speculate on future politics and diplomacy, which is always the most interesting part of any apocalyptic novel. I think the smart thing is to gradually open up contacts with other survivors to pool security measures and skills. One group may have a doctor, another a skilled electrician. Both groups get stronger with an alliance or merger. In Lucifer's Hammer, a key character was Harry the Mailman, who carved out a niche as a roving messenger, earning his keep by traveling from group to group to bring news and serve as intermediary for negotiations. In World War Z, only a centralization of survivors was able to stem and eventually turn the tide against the hordes of zekes. That all seems pretty reasonable, or as reasonable as any tale of the apocalypse can get.

Not only that.....but you have to wonder if there's a kind of stereotype to who would survive a zombie apocalypse. I have to imagine that most families wouldn't. Most of your soldiers and officers of the law would probably bite it. I'd imagine there'd be a disproportionate number loners and kind of antisocial types.

Not only that.....but you have to wonder if there's a kind of stereotype to who would survive a zombie apocalypse. I have to imagine that most families wouldn't. Most of your soldiers and officers of the law would probably bite it. I'd imagine there'd be a disproportionate number loners and kind of antisocial types.
I'd like to hear your reasoning for your last two sentences.

Although I enjoy them both, I have the opposite problem with the comic book - a lot of stuff happening but the conversation is rather shallow. That's primarily an issue with the medium (how many words in an average WD issue?). Yes, the conversation is laughable at times on the show but there are lines in the comic book that are ridiculous as well.

Anytime a child goes missing(real life) people never stop looking , even when its been so long they pretty much know the child is dead, but they need closure and we almost had to wait the whole 6 episodes to finally have closure. To get the true sense of loss you have to feel the hope slipping away every week, then to have the whole thing end like THAT was masterful writing. I mean what was the harm of having the missing child as a focal point while other story lines are developing as well, was it so distracting that you changed the channel? No...you wanted to know the outcome and the payoff was worth the wait IMO
Unless of course Shane is your leader.

Look, I realize it makes for "good TV". But the whole premise seems rather silly. Yes, if there is a nucleur winter and food is in short supply, like after a giant meteor impact, then it might make sense. When it is zombies, and warehouses are likely sitting full of canned goods, etc, it just doesn't make sense to go around killing each other.
People are #######s. YWIA.
Plus I don't know of any warehouses that stock lady parts.

So at what point do they decide to write for T-Dog?
:lmao: seriously, that guy has pretty much no value on this show. you have to feel for him a bit landing a role on a successful show, but they could put up a cardboard cut out in the background of T-dog and no one would no the difference. his time should be coming soon
He could be a very interesting character, too. I always wonder where he's hiding. He's barely on camera any, and no one seems to care. :eatenbyzombie:
I'm going to take a wild guess that he'll become more involved when there's another black character on the show.

Very obvious attempt by the writers to show a distinction to Rick's leadership style and others.
exactly

I'm with you on that one. The first half was dreadful and could've been combined into 2 episodes. I almost quit watching, completely.

Soldiers and law enforcement would be a line of defense in a zombie apocalypse. If the apocalypse were to happen, that means that that line would have failed. There would be survivors amongst their numbers of course, but for the most part there wouldn't be cohesive units that were capable of sustaining any type of order.For the second part, relationships, particularly the close ones of family, can be a real weakness in regards to the survival of oneself and I imagine that for most people...that bond is stronger than the will to survive. I don't think alot of people would commit suicide if one of their loved ones fell victim to the zombie plague (although I imagine some would).....but I think a lot of people would die defending their loved ones when they could have just run off and lived......IIRC, that was a point that was kind of brought up later in comic book.

Soldiers and law enforcement would be a line of defense in a zombie apocalypse. If the apocalypse were to happen, that means that that line would have failed. There would be survivors amongst their numbers of course, but for the most part there wouldn't be cohesive units that were capable of sustaining any type of order.For the second part, relationships, particularly the close ones of family, can be a real weakness in regards to the survival of oneself and I imagine that for most people...that bond is stronger than the will to survive. I don't think alot of people would commit suicide if one of their loved ones fell victim to the zombie plague (although I imagine some would).....but I think a lot of people would die defending their loved ones when they could have just run off and lived......IIRC, that was a point that was kind of brought up later in comic book.
That's reasonable logic. Though I tend to think that anyone would be better off who had someone else helping to watch their back and military personnel and law enforcement are better than most at watching each other's backs. Everybody has to sleep, everybody who's still alive, that is.

That's reasonable logic. Though I tend to think that anyone would be better off who had someone else helping to watch their back and military personnel and law enforcement are better than most at watching each other's backs. Everybody has to sleep, everybody who's still alive, that is.
Right...and in all, or most of these accounts of Apocalypse scenarios....we're only shown the ####ty ones...because those are the most action oriented and they put the protagonist through the most ####. They give us glimpses of successful niches of reasonable people striving for a common goal (Tom Petty's Dam Town in The Postman, the atolls early in Waterworld, Boulder, Co. in The Stand, Bill Murray's home in Zombieland, Commerica Park and Ford Field in World War Z)...but for the most part, we want to see the crap.

But you also have to figure that there are those who would see the titles and roles of U.S. Soldier and Police Man on other people as a symbol of an archaic law.....that might or might not prevent them from fulfilling their own brand of morality. That's what was central to The Postman (IMO, a very underrated view of the whole Apocalypse thing).

But you also have to figure that there are those who would see the titles and roles of U.S. Soldier and Police Man on other people as a symbol of an archaic law.....that might or might not prevent them from fulfilling their own brand of morality. That's what was central to The Postman (IMO, a very underrated view of the whole Apocalypse thing).
Another view of the breakdown in military discipline was displayed in 28 Days Later, where the army compound quickly adopted slavery and rape as valid tools of survival. Still, there's probably no generalization one could really make beyond some people will look after each other (even if it's mostly in self-interest) and others will exploit the situation and/or sacrifice anyone else in order to survive.I liked the Postman, too. :bag:

Very good episode. I liked how they both humanized (where are our buddies? we'll look for them until we find them) while also de-humanizing (sorry I have to leave you for walker-bait, but I've got to exit stage left) the Philly bunch. I also thought it was pretty stupid that they didn't check the bar first - although they did point it out when one of the Philly guys says "doh, the bar, that's where they'd be". Guess the first two Philly boys may have been given directions to go to the drug store or hardware store first.

'BustedKnuckles said:
Jaws wasn't. ;)

Regarding Shane in the next few episodes(in spoiler tag for a reason).

I'm pretty sure the actor that plays Shane (Jon Bernthal) is scheduled to be in another tv show as the lead. I believe it starts in the fall. So Shane is pretty much toast sometime in the next few episodes.

I'm pretty sure the actor that plays Shane (Jon Bernthal) is scheduled to be in another tv show as the lead. I believe it starts in the fall. So Shane is pretty much toast sometime in the next few episodes.
That roughly follows the timeline in the comic series. IIRC, the new series is a period piece set in a 1940s LA police squad and Darabont is the director

That roughly follows the timeline in the comic series. IIRC, the new series is a period piece set in a 1940s LA police squad and Darabont is the director
That is correct

That is correct
They just better have Carl pull the trigger.

Just saw 5 minutes from next week's episode.

They patch up the kid, and leave him on a deserted schoolyard and start to walk away. The kid is pleading with them to not leave him, but Rick and Shane and are not listening. He keeps pleading and then shouts out that he's just a kid and went to school with Maggie. As soon as he says this, They stop and realize that if they leave him, he can lead his group to the farm since he knows who's farm it was. Shane goes to shoot him, but Rick tackles Shane.

INTENSE Scene.
Can't wait for next week!!!

They patch up the kid, and leave him on a deserted schoolyard and start to walk away. The kid is pleading with them to not leave him, but Rick and Shane and are not listening. He keeps pleading and then shouts out that he's just a kid and went to school with Maggie. As soon as he says this, They stop and realize that if they leave him, he can lead his group to the farm since he knows who's farm it was. Shane goes to shoot him, but Rick tackles Shane. INTENSE Scene.

How were you able to see it?

They patch up the kid, and leave him on a deserted schoolyard and start to walk away. The kid is pleading with them to not leave him, but Rick and Shane and are not listening. He keeps pleading and then shouts out that he's just a kid and went to school with Maggie. As soon as he says this, They stop and realize that if they leave him, he can lead his group to the farm since he knows who's farm it was. Shane goes to shoot him, but Rick tackles Shane.

INTENSE Scene.
How were you able to see it?5 MInutesDon't know how much longer it will be up. Also, it's in Italian, but it's subbed.

Users who are viewing this thread