What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (7 Viewers)

My guess is the infection is like tumors. Everyone has cells in their body that can become a tumor, it's just they don't proliferate into cancers and tumors in everyone. The bodies defense system usually keeps the mutated cells in check.I'd guess that the people that turn into zombies have had their immune system compromised, and that allows the sickness to grow.
This could make sense. The 2 we know of that turned (well 1 definite, the other is assumed) is Andra's sister, and the mechanic guy from the first season who they left at the tree. Andrea's sister didn't look like she got too bad of a shot or anything, but she turned with-in 11 or 12 hours or whatever. The mechanic guy also didn't have too bad of a bite, but he was getting real sick, and they were giving the impression that he was dying from it. So if this theory is plausible, then the guys who Rick shot in the bar would have turned back into zombies if he didn't shoot them in the head. But does it work if you shoot the people in the head before they turn into a zombie. Seems to me, a lot of questions surround said theory....
The guys in the bar wouldn't turn because they were healthy, then died. Or shooting in the brain before going zombie would work I suppose.Andrea's sister had her immune system compromised from the bite, losing blood. The mechanic guy was bitten but then was exhausting himself by digging all those graves in the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is the infection is like tumors. Everyone has cells in their body that can become a tumor, it's just they don't proliferate into cancers and tumors in everyone. The bodies defense system usually keeps the mutated cells in check.I'd guess that the people that turn into zombies have had their immune system compromised, and that allows the sickness to grow.
This could make sense. The 2 we know of that turned (well 1 definite, the other is assumed) is Andra's sister, and the mechanic guy from the first season who they left at the tree. Andrea's sister didn't look like she got too bad of a shot or anything, but she turned with-in 11 or 12 hours or whatever. The mechanic guy also didn't have too bad of a bite, but he was getting real sick, and they were giving the impression that he was dying from it. So if this theory is plausible, then the guys who Rick shot in the bar would have turned back into zombies if he didn't shoot them in the head. But does it work if you shoot the people in the head before they turn into a zombie. Seems to me, a lot of questions surround said theory....
The guys in the bar wouldn't turn because they were healthy, then died.Andrea's sister had her immune system compromised from the bite, losing blood. The mechanic guy was bitten but then was exhausting himself by digging all those graves in the heat.
hmm, so definitely an advantage to killing healthy people? if Carl would have died from the gun shot, you think he would have died? and i also have to think if Rick was in a coma and in bad shape in a hospital, wouldn't it make sense that he would have turned? i think if this theory sticks, Rick would have had to go zombie because his body was certainly in bad shape while still recovering for 2 months, or whatever it was

The guys in the bar wouldn't turn because they were healthy, then died.Andrea's sister had her immune system compromised from the bite, losing blood. The mechanic guy was bitten but then was exhausting himself by digging all those graves in the heat.
hmm, so definitely an advantage to killing healthy people? if Carl would have died from the gun shot, you think he would have died? and i also have to think if Rick was in a coma and in bad shape in a hospital, wouldn't it make sense that he would have turned? i think if this theory sticks, Rick would have had to go zombie because his body was certainly in bad shape while still recovering for 2 months, or whatever it was
Maybe anitbiotics saved Carl and coma saved Rick? This theory is on thin ice.

A clue might lie in Shane saying the military was killing humans not zombies at the hospital.

What I don't get is I thought the CDC guy showed that the Brainstem was the functional part for zombies. If that's the case, I'd think a stab to the frontal lobe wouldn't kill a zombie.

A clue might lie in Shane saying the military was killing humans not zombies at the hospital.What I don't get is I thought the CDC guy showed that the Brainstem was the functional part for zombies. If that's the case, I'd think a stab to the frontal lobe wouldn't kill a zombie.
good 2nd point there, not sure how they can explain that one. and i wonder why the CDC guy, and then Rick himself, would make this such a secret if this is what he told him and the theory about the zombies? wouldn't it help out Herschel and his family figure out about his wife, etc.? What about when the group spends days searching for Sophia, shouldn't Rick have factored in what the CDC guy said to help come to a conclusion?there will be some explaining to do if this is it. and i think i remember them saying we find out what the CDC guy said this season

A clue might lie in Shane saying the military was killing humans not zombies at the hospital.What I don't get is I thought the CDC guy showed that the Brainstem was the functional part for zombies. If that's the case, I'd think a stab to the frontal lobe wouldn't kill a zombie.
good 2nd point there, not sure how they can explain that one. and i wonder why the CDC guy, and then Rick himself, would make this such a secret if this is what he told him and the theory about the zombies? wouldn't it help out Herschel and his family figure out about his wife, etc.? What about when the group spends days searching for Sophia, shouldn't Rick have factored in what the CDC guy said to help come to a conclusion?there will be some explaining to do if this is it. and i think i remember them saying we find out what the CDC guy said this season
I think the 2nd point is easy to explain. Zombies need to have a fully intact brain to live, i.e. even though the brainstem is where most of the activity is, it doesn't mean they can survive with a damaged brain. The reason why the CDC guy mentions that most of the activity is in the brain stem because that area is responsible for the basic vital life functions.Think of it as people that turn into vegetables, their brain stem keeps them alive even though they have little or no other brain functions. These people may have asphyxiated or had a stroke or other things, but if you were to go in and shoot them with a gun in the head, their brain stem would no longer keep them alive. With zombies, the "virus" not only keeps them alive, it makes the body get up and do what we see in the movies.

By the way, I agree with ctsu, they definitely have been beating us over the head with the explanation. I think the hanging zombie is the biggest clue. In almost every zombie movie/lore, you turn with a bite, regardless of health, but when you die healthy, you die, no coming back. No way can a zombie hang himself and if a person hangs themself then they should die before turning.

I think the 2nd point is easy to explain. Zombies need to have a fully intact brain to live, i.e. even though the brainstem is where most of the activity is, it doesn't mean they can survive with a damaged brain. The reason why the CDC guy mentions that most of the activity is in the brain stem because that area is responsible for the basic vital life functions.Think of it as people that turn into vegetables, their brain stem keeps them alive even though they have little or no other brain functions. These people may have asphyxiated or had a stroke or other things, but if you were to go in and shoot them with a gun in the head, their brain stem would no longer keep them alive. With zombies, the "virus" not only keeps them alive, it makes the body get up and do what we see in the movies.
Two words....Nano bots. They came from The Governor.

By the way, I agree with ctsu, they definitely have been beating us over the head with the explanation. I think the hanging zombie is the biggest clue. In almost every zombie movie/lore, you turn with a bite, regardless of health, but when you die healthy, you die, no coming back. No way can a zombie hang himself and if a person hangs themself then they should die before turning.
Didn't his suicide note say something about being bit?

IIRC..."he got bit....fever then hit."

Yes.I see no proof that a healthy person dying will make them a zombie. If you remember Carl taking that knife set from the guy in the truck, he was just dead. Not a zombie.

Hmmm, I think you are correct and I sort of remember that, so ignore what I said. :wall:

'tdoss said:
How the hell does this guy go from piercing his leg on a fence post to standing, walking and planting his weight enough to fight off a zombie and stab it multiple times. Maybe on one leg but we see him fully standing on both. I had a serious problem with that moment.
That was a glaring error. I don't know how stuff like that gets through.Also, why did they repeat the scene with Shane staring out the car window looking at the zombie in the field. Not sure what they were going for there? It was funny how he zoned out Rick's rambling on the way out.
wondering the same myself

Usually I agree with Rick, but bringing this kid back to the farm and risking that he escapes or the group doesn't want to kill him is a huge mistake. No good can come from it.
Why not let the kid become part of their group? From the actions of the guys in the bar I suspect his group sucks. Maybe he did not like his group and is looking for a way out of it. Ask Maggie if he really went to school with her and what she thinks of his character. I would think another guy defending the group would be good.

Yes.I see no proof that a healthy person dying will make them a zombie. If you remember Carl taking that knife set from the guy in the truck, he was just dead. Not a zombie.
True, but based on that person's decomposition, is it possible they died before being infected? I am assuming with all of the zombie contact that the thought is that you are infected with any zombie contact. Based on the truck's condition, that guy died before zombie contact. Not enntirely sure though as that does make things a little harder to explain. The only thought is that the CDC guys tested everyone's blood at that point, i.e. this virus or whatever wasn't just inately part of humans otherwise everyone who died with no brain trauma would have been a zombie. Has to be a certain bit of contact somehow with the initial virus and probably at this point everyone has had some sort of contact.I definitely think that with the scene from this week with the "scratches" that they were strongly hinting that Shane saw no reason for those guys to be zombified and Rick (the only one told by the CDC guy) was almost making up how they turned. Just my opinion though, have never read any comics, but it sure seems plausible.

I think that all the signs are pointing towards Rick knowing that "being zombie" is in everyone's blood.

1) He's told something mysterious about the plague by a scientist.

2) After killing two men, he shoots them in the head.

3) We see two security guards, alive for a period of time(all the open canned goods strewn about) zombied....but without any apparent bites.

4) Our heroes have continually gotten zombie fluid on their body, particularly in this past episode when they are all cut. They are fine.

Most everyone was infected....when you die in any manner that doesn't damage the brain....you'll eventually come back.

'SacramentoBob said:
Not getting the "Andrea gave Lori a smack down" talk. It just exposed Andrea as a jealous, selfish, lazy ##### IMO. We all knew that though. If she got her face ripped off by zombies next episode, no one would care.
cant stand lori. she did get called out by andrea in the argument and lori just acts like shes the female version of rick. its pretty annoying we only need 1 rick on the show

Usually I agree with Rick, but bringing this kid back to the farm and risking that he escapes or the group doesn't want to kill him is a huge mistake. No good can come from it.
Why not let the kid become part of their group? From the actions of the guys in the bar I suspect his group sucks. Maybe he did not like his group and is looking for a way out of it. Ask Maggie if he really went to school with her and what she thinks of his character. I would think another guy defending the group would be good.
Yeah...I'm kind of not getting that either. Plus....that group had people from Philly in it. Why in the hell would a Southern guy want to have anything to do with Philly people?

'slayer666 said:
'tdoss said:
I didn't know anything about a governor until this thread...but don't really think it's that big a deal but would like stuff like that kept to a minimum and taken over to the comic thread. I don't even watch previews of the next week because I like to be surprised by the show.As for the show...I love it. I do...but so many things piss me off continuously.You kill two security guards and you don't immediately take their weapons and ammo? Come on man...that just absolutely kills me.You find a bus...but don't think to check it's fuel tank and see if it runs? Do you have any idea the freakin vehicles I'd be rolling around in? Trust me people...come with me, we'll be living great in one of those "Girls Gone Wild" buses.You've deal with a crap-ton of zombies at this school...and now that there's only 3 left...you decide to book it out of town? Screw that...kill those last three and lets explore this entire area for other supplies and such.How the hell does this guy go from piercing his leg on a fence post to standing, walking and planting his weight enough to fight off a zombie and stab it multiple times. Maybe on one leg but we see him fully standing on both. I had a serious problem with that moment.I thought the head shot through the mouth was cool but was a bit unnecessary and man, why waste that many bullets? One more zombie comes through that window and you're toast.I wonder about the guards with no bites. Are they setting it up for other ways to catch this? Seems a bit unlikely since we've seen our characters almost completely bath in zombie blood and parts while also having injuries and open wounds. But I think I'll just have to let that one go and roll with whatever the show is setting up.
:goodposting: I thought this was the worst episode of the season. Why drive the kid with the bad wheel 18 miles into town and dump him off. Just deadline his ###, it would have been the more humane thing to do. I was feeling pretty good about the show after the second episode, but last night was a total buzz kill for me. :thumbdown:
ontop of that. at first their intentions were to leave his hands/legs tied as well. whats the point in wasting the gas

'slayer666 said:
'tdoss said:
I didn't know anything about a governor until this thread...but don't really think it's that big a deal but would like stuff like that kept to a minimum and taken over to the comic thread. I don't even watch previews of the next week because I like to be surprised by the show.As for the show...I love it. I do...but so many things piss me off continuously.You kill two security guards and you don't immediately take their weapons and ammo? Come on man...that just absolutely kills me.You find a bus...but don't think to check it's fuel tank and see if it runs? Do you have any idea the freakin vehicles I'd be rolling around in? Trust me people...come with me, we'll be living great in one of those "Girls Gone Wild" buses.You've deal with a crap-ton of zombies at this school...and now that there's only 3 left...you decide to book it out of town? Screw that...kill those last three and lets explore this entire area for other supplies and such.How the hell does this guy go from piercing his leg on a fence post to standing, walking and planting his weight enough to fight off a zombie and stab it multiple times. Maybe on one leg but we see him fully standing on both. I had a serious problem with that moment.I thought the head shot through the mouth was cool but was a bit unnecessary and man, why waste that many bullets? One more zombie comes through that window and you're toast.I wonder about the guards with no bites. Are they setting it up for other ways to catch this? Seems a bit unlikely since we've seen our characters almost completely bath in zombie blood and parts while also having injuries and open wounds. But I think I'll just have to let that one go and roll with whatever the show is setting up.
:goodposting: I thought this was the worst episode of the season. Why drive the kid with the bad wheel 18 miles into town and dump him off. Just deadline his ###, it would have been the more humane thing to do. I was feeling pretty good about the show after the second episode, but last night was a total buzz kill for me. :thumbdown:
ontop of that. at first their intentions were to leave his hands/legs tied as well. whats the point in wasting the gas
They left him the knife to cut himself free. They just wanted time to get away before he did it. I agree though that 18 miles was a bit much since they were pushing the remaining gas and they could have broken down. Why possibly strand yourself so far away.

'slayer666 said:
'tdoss said:
Rick trying to 'do the right thing' despite it not making any sense. He just CAN'T do anything that would seem 'wrong' to him.

'slayer666 said:
'tdoss said:
Rick trying to 'do the right thing' despite it not making any sense. He just CAN'T do anything that would seem 'wrong' to him.
Doing what he did was clearing his conscience. I'm sure he knew that he was serving that kid a death sentence. He could rationalize it though....so in his mind he'd be free of the consequences.

'Mario Kart said:
The issue with an unihabited island is that no infrastructure is set up. There needs to be some kind of farming or sustenance set up so the survivors have an advantage.

Islands like Hawaii or Iceland would be best. Sure, there are zombies there but the plane that is taken with a cache of weapons could take over the islands. Start on the small island, clear it, move to the next one, cautiously but systematically. With patience, canned goods brought from the mainland, weapons, ammo, it could be done. This method is what would need to happen to overtake land again. Get some good sharp shooters and lure the zombies to the beach and shoot them from a boat. That's the way to go.
You've split the difference....at least in regards to WWZ. Part of the US government operates out of Hawaii....so it isn't bad. Iceland is the most infected place on the planet.
I've never read or wiki'ed WWZ. Just saying. In a world infected with zombies, I don't see how Iceland would be bad unless the germ originated from there.

On the other hand, I would look to inhabit Hawaii and clear it of zombies. After a decade or so, with conservation, and with Hawaii being secured, I take a party out and head for New Zealand. It is a least closer to other islands and more importantly closer to Austrailia. Yes, Austrailia will be infected with millions of zombies however given 20-30 years, kids will have grown up and my party is larger.

Two methods. If we are able to retrofit a cruise liner or ferry of some kind, dock in a port, lure zombies to said port, tease them into the. Oat and set sail to some other island that will be the "dead zone". Rinse, repeat for years with multiple ships doing this and Austrailia will. E clear of zombies. Sure, there is a need for fuel and reconnaissance for fuel will be a high priority. But, that leads us to option two and that is killing zombies with weaponry and so forth. Give people a couple more decades and living in Austrailia will be free of zombies. Do this all across the pacific rim and in a couple generations, the pacific islands will be habitable.

As far as clearing the mainland continents, that would take many more generations and many more reconnaissance missions for fuel, food, weapons.
lolcarnival zombie cruise :bag:

I get it now

18, aside from 0, is the only number that equals twice the sum of its decimal digits.

It all makes sense.

'slayer666 said:
'tdoss said:
Gas and stranded cars are abundant cuz zombies can't drive

'slayer666 said:
'tdoss said:
The governor has a walker-drawn carriage.

One interesting fact: Fuel really only lasts a few months sitting in tanks before it starts to destabilize and "go bad". 2-3 months after the apocalypse cars would be running like ####. after 4-5 months most cars would never run again (obviously these guys aren't going to be refining any gas). Fuel stabilizer really wouldn't work for this case due to the quantity needed and the fact that it only prevents deterioration, doesn't bring gas back from going bad. ZOMBIE GAS!

One interesting fact: Fuel really only lasts a few months sitting in tanks before it starts to destabilize and "go bad". 2-3 months after the apocalypse cars would be running like ####. after 4-5 months most cars would never run again (obviously these guys aren't going to be refining any gas). Fuel stabilizer really wouldn't work for this case due to the quantity needed and the fact that it only prevents deterioration, doesn't bring gas back from going bad. ZOMBIE GAS!
Good to know.Somehow I doubt they'll adhere to this on the show.

I get it now18, aside from 0, is the only number that equals twice the sum of its decimal digits.It all makes sense.
18 is the legal drinking age in most states and the youngest someone can be drafted into the military - this means that the zombie virus really started 18 years ago and it just now maturing.It all makes sense.

So I finally watched the rest of the episode. I fast-forwarded it every time one or more of the women showed up on the screen. :thumbup:

'KGB said:
'Daywalker said:
great episode :shrug: I like how Rick looked at the two zombies in cop uniforms and it reminded him of himself and his partner and he saved him
:goodposting: yep. Although it turned into a "yahoo!" moment. :D
Are you saying he decided to save Shane after being reminded of their past when he saw the dead cop bodies?
That's how i saw it. I thought the fight was well done too.
Rick was out of ammo (remember he used up making the zombie sandwich) and he went back to the cops because they had bullets to scavenge.
If a jockey or smoker showed up about then, followed by a boomer . . . man, oh, man would there be some serious problemas.
TANK!!!!!!!
good thing they saved those adrenaline shots

Users who are viewing this thread