What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Characters were a bit over the top in this one. Hopefully it gets better. I also cringed at the "dressing like zombie." As some one said, made me think of Shaun of the Dead. This has potential but I hope they don't screw it up.
Why? Other than Shaun of the Dead...
My take was that Shaun of the Dead 1. Already did it and 2. Is a comic satire of Zombie films so it should have been untouchable based on that alone. Killed the drama of it. Felt like another artificial means to add gore to the show.
And artificial drama via the 30sec thunderstorm. I liked how they introduced the smell aspect of it, but I thought they were somehow going to take clothes and make them smell like the living - drop them off the opposite side of the building and as the zombies go to that side, make a dash up the street.

:goodposting:

In regards to a zombie smelling alive versus dead, I feel bad for those zombies who have colds and can't smell anything. Wonder how they look for food? :goodposting:

In regards to a zombie smelling alive versus dead, I feel bad for those zombies who have colds and can't smell anything. Wonder how they look for food? :unsure:
Colds/cold..HmmCan zombies freeze to death? Wouldn't it be smart just to move to Greenland or Iceland or Alaska and wait for winter. That way all the zombies in those areas would be dead ? All you would need to do is stay warm which would be easier than dodging zombies - sick or not.

In regards to a zombie smelling alive versus dead, I feel bad for those zombies who have colds and can't smell anything. Wonder how they look for food? :goodposting:
Colds/cold..HmmCan zombies freeze to death? Wouldn't it be smart just to move to Greenland or Iceland or Alaska and wait for winter. That way all the zombies in those areas would be dead ? All you would need to do is stay warm which would be easier than dodging zombies - sick or not.
I don't know why the long-time survivors haven't hunted down any silencers yet, since they seem to know that the zom's are attracted to noise.

I don't know why the long-time survivors haven't hunted down any silencers yet, since they seem to know that the zom's are attracted to noise.
I know! This show is soooooo unrealistic. :confused:

Characters were a bit over the top in this one. Hopefully it gets better. I also cringed at the "dressing like zombie." As some one said, made me think of Shaun of the Dead. This has potential but I hope they don't screw it up.
My take was that Shaun of the Dead 1. Already did it and 2. Is a comic satire of Zombie films so it should have been untouchable based on that alone. Killed the drama of it. Felt like another artificial means to add gore to the show.
The comic that first featured this predates Shaun of the Dead, but that does not mean it was an original idea. It has been done in some form many times before.
Yes, but this entire episode deviates greatly from the comic book... the comic book has Rick enter Atlanta, fall off the horse, and almost immediately run into the kid, who then takes him to the camp. The series introduces the tank, the group of people foraging, the racist on the roof, not to mention the zombie-gore-walk and smell issue. I'll probably have to just get used to the idea that they're going to change quite a bit as they see fit. My wife didn't seem to mind, so I may be being a bit too nitpicky.

And artificial drama via the 30sec thunderstorm. I liked how they introduced the smell aspect of it, but I thought they were somehow going to take clothes and make them smell like the living - drop them off the opposite side of the building and as the zombies go to that side, make a dash up the street.

:wall:
Exactly. So many better ways they could have gone with it. That alley they got the body from was apparently free of zombies. Run out there and then try to make it around quietly. Hope they don't hear or smell you. The whole thing was contrived. Still, I'm a big zombie fan. So here's hoping it can add some better suspense in the future.

In regards to a zombie smelling alive versus dead, I feel bad for those zombies who have colds and can't smell anything. Wonder how they look for food? :wall:
World War Z (which I surprisingly enjoyed) addresses this, along with just about every other logistical/administrative issue about dealing with a zombie apocalypse that you can imagine.

In regards to a zombie smelling alive versus dead, I feel bad for those zombies who have colds and can't smell anything. Wonder how they look for food? :wall:
World War Z (which I surprisingly enjoyed) addresses this, along with just about every other logistical/administrative issue about dealing with a zombie apocalypse that you can imagine.
I read the first zombie book the author did - forgot the name and it was great.I need to buy this one and red it before next weeks episode and play more LFD (1 and 2).**So what was the answer is zombie blood like antifreeze?

The comic that first featured this predates Shaun of the Dead, but that does not mean it was an original idea. It has been done in some form many times before.
Yes, but this entire episode deviates greatly from the comic book... the comic book has Rick enter Atlanta, fall off the horse, and almost immediately run into the kid, who then takes him to the camp. The series introduces the tank, the group of people foraging, the racist on the roof, not to mention the zombie-gore-walk and smell issue. I'll probably have to just get used to the idea that they're going to change quite a bit as they see fit. My wife didn't seem to mind, so I may be being a bit too nitpicky.
You should check in to a facility right now.

I read the first zombie book the author did - forgot the name and it was great.I need to buy this one and red it before next weeks episode and play more LFD (1 and 2).**So what was the answer is zombie blood like antifreeze?
No, they freeze in winter time. Meaning even after the "war" is over, there is still a U.N. effort to kill zombies that thaw out every spring. And there are horrific stories of survivors who flee north into the wilderness in an attempt to avoid the zombies, but who are unprepared for the struggles of living in that environment.Brad Pitt is apparently producing a movie adaptation, but I think it would have worked better as an old school "anthology" show.

No, they freeze in winter time. Meaning even after the "war" is over, there is still a U.N. effort to kill zombies that thaw out every spring. And there are horrific stories of survivors who flee north into the wilderness in an attempt to avoid the zombies, but who are unprepared for the struggles of living in that environment.Brad Pitt is apparently producing a movie adaptation, but I think it would have worked better as an old school "anthology" show.
Yes, I think World War Z would have worked better as a show so it could breathe and develop. In addition to thawing zombies being a problem, those that occupied the oceans/rivers/lakes continued to emerge which meant that even after "winning" the war it would require innumerable years to completely eradicate them.

I still am hoping beyond hope that WWZ will be a miniseries. Too much going on to make it a movie

Tom Servo said:
bosoxs45 said:
Not a bad second episode.Was I the only one who wanted them to leave the guy on the roof?
No.
This. And that guy who was debating about freeing him was about as anguished as the guy last week about shooting his wife. Sheesh.
I like that stuff. That is a tough decision to make. Dude is a racist that kicked his ### and may have killed him if others dont step in. The guy who got beat now has said racist life in his hands. The right thing to do is to free the guy but I understand his reservations. I am against the death penalty because we have the ability to lock up the bad guys. In a zombie apocalypse we have lost that ability. I would be for the death penalty during a zombie apocalypse. Racist dude probably does not deserve death yet but he is on the fast track and under the circumstances it may just be best to kill him.It is these sort of circumstances that make a good story. The acting out of these circumstances may not be the best but for regular tv it is pretty good.

Why is this group of people who somehow survived the zombie apocalypse dumb enough to live in the woods with virtually no protection? On top of that, none of them seem to be changed by the experience and act like they've been through nothing? I can understand Rick since he just woke up but I think it's a joke that this group would have survived this long acting the way they do.

Tom Servo said:
bosoxs45 said:
Not a bad second episode.Was I the only one who wanted them to leave the guy on the roof?
No.
This. And that guy who was debating about freeing him was about as anguished as the guy last week about shooting his wife. Sheesh.
I like that stuff. That is a tough decision to make. Dude is a racist that kicked his ### and may have killed him if others dont step in. The guy who got beat now has said racist life in his hands. The right thing to do is to free the guy but I understand his reservations. I am against the death penalty because we have the ability to lock up the bad guys. In a zombie apocalypse we have lost that ability. I would be for the death penalty during a zombie apocalypse. Racist dude probably does not deserve death yet but he is on the fast track and under the circumstances it may just be best to kill him.It is these sort of circumstances that make a good story. The acting out of these circumstances may not be the best but for regular tv it is pretty good.
Rick should have shot him in the head. He's clearly not suited to live peacefully in their community and is a threat to everyone if they kick him out.

Why is this group of people who somehow survived the zombie apocalypse dumb enough to live in the woods with virtually no protection? On top of that, none of them seem to be changed by the experience and act like they've been through nothing? I can understand Rick since he just woke up but I think it's a joke that this group would have survived this long acting the way they do.
Fewer zombies around than in the city?

Tom Servo said:
bosoxs45 said:
No.
Rick should have shot him in the head. He's clearly not suited to live peacefully in their community and is a threat to everyone if they kick him out.
There is the dilemma. I would be against that but I bet there would be some ok with shooting him.

:yawn: Unrecognizable, too much added simply to artificially keep Rick from Lori and Carl. Not that it has to stick with the comic, but the sex scene is enough of a dramatic sticking point for Rick and Lori to deal with. (Imagine what Lori and Shane would feel seeing Rick alive after they'd made love that morning, that's some guilt/high emotions.)
Making love? That was one of the nastiest sex scenes I've seen. Lori is skank - I loved how she pondered her pendant for a moment before taking it off and then getting flipped over and pummeled face down in the dirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Servo said:
bosoxs45 said:
No.
Not Rick but maybe one of the others.He is a threat however from the previews it looks like they will be going back in after him, and he has a brother.

:yawn: Unrecognizable, too much added simply to artificially keep Rick from Lori and Carl. Not that it has to stick with the comic, but the sex scene is enough of a dramatic sticking point for Rick and Lori to deal with. (Imagine what Lori and Shane would feel seeing Rick alive after they'd made love that morning, that's some guilt/high emotions.)
Making love? That was one of the nastiest sex scenes I've seen. Lori is skank - I loved how she pondered her pendant for a moment before taking it off and then getting flipped over and pummeled face down in the dirt.
Seriously. Plus, did they even try to see if Rick was ok? He seemed to be able to walk, injured to the one guys house with minimal zombie interference. Did they not think, We need to save our friend/husband? Both of them are a-holes and I hope they get turned.

Turned it off a half an hour into the second episode. The writing is atrocious, the acting just as bad.

The only thing I am getting out of this thread is that there is a huge market for a good zombie show, but this isn't the one.

:unsure: Unrecognizable, too much added simply to artificially keep Rick from Lori and Carl. Not that it has to stick with the comic, but the sex scene is enough of a dramatic sticking point for Rick and Lori to deal with. (Imagine what Lori and Shane would feel seeing Rick alive after they'd made love that morning, that's some guilt/high emotions.)
Seriously. Plus, did they even try to see if Rick was ok? He seemed to be able to walk, injured to the one guys house with minimal zombie interference. Did they not think, We need to save our friend/husband? Both of them are a-holes and I hope they get turned.
Yeah it has only been a few weeks since the zombie outbreak. She sure has moved on fast.

:unsure: Unrecognizable, too much added simply to artificially keep Rick from Lori and Carl. Not that it has to stick with the comic, but the sex scene is enough of a dramatic sticking point for Rick and Lori to deal with. (Imagine what Lori and Shane would feel seeing Rick alive after they'd made love that morning, that's some guilt/high emotions.)
Yeah it has only been a few weeks since the zombie outbreak. She sure has moved on fast.
She needs a daddy for her boy. Broads like this are always easy.

You need to go back and read the comic. That's exactly what why he and Glenn covered themselves in zombie stink in the comic. And the rain storm came and started washing it off and they had to run. Slightly different circumstances in the show, but same basic premise. (pretty sure it was the trip they went back into ATL to go to the gun shop)

I'm guessing there was something there beforehand. The other cop mentioned her in the first episode before it all went to #### and made me think he had an ulterior motive. Those two got together way too quick for something else not to be going on behind Rick's back.The only knock I have on the show is fast zombies. They shuffle around all day long and as soon as food shows up they look like Usain Bolt chasing a rabbit. I don't care for fast zombies.

You need to go back and read the comic. That's exactly what why he and Glenn covered themselves in zombie stink in the comic. And the rain storm came and started washing it off and they had to run. Slightly different circumstances in the show, but same basic premise. (pretty sure it was the trip they went back into ATL to go to the gun shop)
:thumbdown: You're right, it was just a chronology shift. Good eye.

I'm guessing there was something there beforehand. The other cop mentioned her in the first episode before it all went to #### and made me think he had an ulterior motive. Those two got together way too quick for something else not to be going on behind Rick's back.The only knock I have on the show is fast zombies. They shuffle around all day long and as soon as food shows up they look like Usain Bolt chasing a rabbit. I don't care for fast zombies.
Exactly what I was thinking, she made was playing Rick before the outbreak and his hospitalization.The sentimental moment with the charm/locket around her neck was laughable.

Maybe the kid is not even Ricks.

Turned it off a half an hour into the second episode. The writing is atrocious, the acting just as bad.The only thing I am getting out of this thread is that there is a huge market for a good zombie show, but this isn't the one.
:wall:
Have a nice apocalypse guy. I'm digging the show a lot. All tv shows (The Wire excluded) paint with a broad brush in the early episodes. The writers will get it dialed in and characters will be more fine tuned every week. For now I'm just happy that it is different than everything else on TV. AMC does different very well.

Watched the second episode last night. I *really* wanted to like it, but it's just... bad. What a let down.

Exactly what I was thinking, she made was playing Rick before the outbreak and his hospitalization.The sentimental moment with the charm/locket around her neck was laughable.

Maybe the kid is not even Ricks.
That whole storyline has been pretty significantly changed from the comics too. In the comic, it's basically stated (by Lori) that they had a one night stand while they were fleeing to Atlanta and that she wanted no part of any relationship with Shane. I'll be interested to see where the series takes it from here, because they are definitely making Lori a very unlikable character at this point.

:lol:

Unrecognizable, too much added simply to artificially keep Rick from Lori and Carl. Not that it has to stick with the comic, but the sex scene is enough of a dramatic sticking point for Rick and Lori to deal with. (Imagine what Lori and Shane would feel seeing Rick alive after they'd made love that morning, that's some guilt/high emotions.) Too many zombie cliches (I never had a problem with the hospital bit knowing the history of the comic, but dressing up like zombies? It was cute in Shaun of the Dead. But that part was painful to watch.

Maybe I shouldn't want to hold them close to the comic. But a bit I don't understand why they changed from the pilot was the zombie encounter just as they left the police station. Shooting the zombie, the father said to Rick to save the bullet because he'd need it later. Rick agreed.

Then, a few panels later, on his way back, he shoots the legless bike zombie that was stuck. So the bullet was saved for a mercy mission. Instead in the pilot we have Rick kill the zombie because he knew the guy, but it was just an excuse to show a slow mo gore scene, and then go and administer the mercy killing. Maybe it's a small point and I didn't even notice it until I was just skimming back over the comic.

Seems like a misstep to me, but they have plenty of time to establish a stronger story.
Just in case...
"Dressing up like zombies" is in the comic, so I do not get the complaint that they are changing too much and having a problem with this.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/...l#photo=9x67857

They are establishing Rick as a person that will do the right thing/make the tough decision even/especially when it is difficult where other people will fail to.

:yawn:

Unrecognizable, too much added simply to artificially keep Rick from Lori and Carl. Not that it has to stick with the comic, but the sex scene is enough of a dramatic sticking point for Rick and Lori to deal with. (Imagine what Lori and Shane would feel seeing Rick alive after they'd made love that morning, that's some guilt/high emotions.) Too many zombie cliches (I never had a problem with the hospital bit knowing the history of the comic, but dressing up like zombies? It was cute in Shaun of the Dead. But that part was painful to watch.

Maybe I shouldn't want to hold them close to the comic. But a bit I don't understand why they changed from the pilot was the zombie encounter just as they left the police station. Shooting the zombie, the father said to Rick to save the bullet because he'd need it later. Rick agreed.

Then, a few panels later, on his way back, he shoots the legless bike zombie that was stuck. So the bullet was saved for a mercy mission. Instead in the pilot we have Rick kill the zombie because he knew the guy, but it was just an excuse to show a slow mo gore scene, and then go and administer the mercy killing. Maybe it's a small point and I didn't even notice it until I was just skimming back over the comic.

Seems like a misstep to me, but they have plenty of time to establish a stronger story.
Just in case...
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

"Dressing up like zombies" is in the comic, so I do not get the complaint that they are changing too much and having a problem with this.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/...l#photo=9x67857

They are establishing Rick as a person that will do the right thing/make the tough decision even/especially when it is difficult where other people will fail to.
Yeah, I was thrown off by the addition of the other survivors in Atlanta and the chronology of it was a bit off. It wasn't as emphasized in the comic, as it was a splatterfest on the show. Maybe it's a difference in tone from the comic to the show that is a little more off putting, as well as the fact that it's been half a year since I read the comics so I'm judging based on muddled ideas. I'm sure it will pull together, even more so now that it's been pointed out that these ideas were in the comic, and just have been altered a bit for the show.

Nick Vermeil said:
Tom Servo said:
Turned it off a half an hour into the second episode. The writing is atrocious, the acting just as bad.The only thing I am getting out of this thread is that there is a huge market for a good zombie show, but this isn't the one.
:goodposting:
Have a nice apocalypse guy. I'm digging the show a lot. All tv shows (The Wire excluded) paint with a broad brush in the early episodes. The writers will get it dialed in and characters will be more fine tuned every week. For now I'm just happy that it is different than everything else on TV. AMC does different very well.
Even with the disappointing acting and writing, I'm still happy to have a post-apocalyptic TV show on the air.

Nick Vermeil said:
Tom Servo said:
Turned it off a half an hour into the second episode. The writing is atrocious, the acting just as bad.

The only thing I am getting out of this thread is that there is a huge market for a good zombie show, but this isn't the one.
:bye:
Even with the disappointing acting and writing, I'm still happy to have a post-apocalyptic TV show on the air.
:lmao: Didn't see this commented on, but it's just been picked up for Season 2. :headbang:

I feel like such a dork being this into a show, but i am happy they said the ratings were so good for last nights show (" drawing a whopping 4.7 million viewers, including 3.3 million in the key 18-49 demographic. That showed only minor audience decomposition from last week's Halloween premiere, which pulled in 5.3 million viewers, including 3.6 million in the coveted demo."). I was worried it was going to have a pretty big drop-off after Halloween, and considering it is competing against NFL late on a Sunday night, the ratings are pretty imjpressive. I'm curious if the success of the Walking Dead encourages other shows to go the post-apocalypse/zombie route. It seems that there really isn't anything impressive on TV this fall, so you would think one of the big network channels may think it is worth it to try and copy a show like this. Could be a good spot to try World War Z if they wanted.

And I said it before, but the best thing about this series is that you know the writer has a purpose behind it and good story lines going forward. I was pumped with Heroes that first season, and then it because obvious that they didn't really think too much ahead with where to go with the show. I don't think we have that problem with this series.

Not sure how they could go into much character depth in one episode when they introduced what...6 new characters, in a one hour show, mixed in with the plot. They'll get to it, give them time. They gave each one a little story to feed off of and advance the show. They'll give us more. Maybe they can all sit down on a couch and introduce themselves to the viewer by looking into the camera and telling them why their character is important to the show. Would that suffice for some of you?
I'm working my way through The Wire right now on DTV 101 (about a quarter of the way into season 2). Watching these two series together really makes it obvious how great a job The Wire does at introducing you to new characters without relying on exposition. And its characters are fully fleshed-out and believable right from the get-go.Yeah, I know I'm comparing a crime drama that aimed at high-level political/social commentary with a zombie show, but given the hype this series received, it's not asking for too much to write some semi-decent characters.
You're not just comparing a crime drama to a zombie show...you're comparing what is arguably one of the greatest shows in the history of television to a zombie show. Not a fair comparison by any stretch.

Yeah, I know I'm comparing a crime drama that aimed at high-level political/social commentary with a zombie show, but given the hype this series received, it's not asking for too much to write some semi-decent characters.
You're not just comparing a crime drama to a zombie show...you're comparing what is arguably one of the greatest shows in the history of television to a zombie show. Not a fair comparison by any stretch.
I'll grant that to some degree, but this show got a gigantic amount of hype and was being billed as the next Breaking Bad or Mad Men. I've never watched either of those so I can't make any comparisons there, but they seem to get universally good reviews. Two episodes in, The Walking Dead is better than your average zombie show, but it's not exactly what I'd call top-quality television. I think it's fair to say that it's at least a little disappointing at this point.Seriously, I'm willing to overlook/forgive a lot when it comes to stuff in this genre. People living out in the open at a campsite? Eh, let's just say they're real quiet and the zombies don't know they're there. A convenient tank just happens to be there when Our Hero needs it? Well, the military was there once upon a time after all so okay let's roll with that. I was actually completely fine with the "dressing up like zombies" part, probably because I've never seen Shaun but whatever. The biggest problem is that the writing just flat-out sucks. The story is fine so far, but the dialogue is atrocious and I still don't give a rip about any of the characters at all. It's not even that I hate them, in the way that I hated Richie Aprile in The Sopranos. It's that none of these characters are even interesting.

Edit: I'm not giving up on this show. It has great potential to fall into the "guilty pleasure" category because I love this genre. I'm just saying that as of right now, it looks like I'm going to have to wait for WWZ for the next good zombie production.

Maybe a more fair comparison would be something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Now, in many ways, we can find lots of reasons why The Walking Dead might strike us as a better show than Buffy. It is more grounded in realism, if that matters to you when consuming tales of supernatural horror. It has much better creature effects and on location cinematography. Buffy was pulpy and TWD is "serious."

I still prefer Buffy, even the early episodes of Season One where Buffy hadn't quite found its footing, for a couple of reasons. Buffy's characters were sharply drawn, even when they were stereotypes. A racist character on Buffy would have found a lot more interesting way to say "I'm not taking orders from no [N-word]" Buffy was more clever. High school is hell. Buffy explored the metaphor in interesting and often unexpected ways, even in episodes that weren't ultimately successful, like The Pack (male peer pressure and cruelty) or The Witch (mothers living vicariously through their daughters).

Buffy eventually got to the point that I think The Walking Dead is trying to get to. Which is the incredible toll that these situations put on your humanity (in Buffy's case the toll of being a "hero" which is a bit different than being a "survivor"). But we saw enough of Buffy's humanity in her humor, her desire to love, and her loyalty to her friends that it mattered when we began to see her responsibilities as a Slayer begin to erode all of those things.

Now, Buffy had rough spots in its first season. I didn't start watching it from the beginning. I may be being unfair to TWD. But I personally find TWD to fall into a kind of No Man's Land. It's not intelligent or thoughtful enough to be taken as a "serious" drama and it's not fun enough to be taken as a genre show.

Yeah, I know I'm comparing a crime drama that aimed at high-level political/social commentary with a zombie show, but given the hype this series received, it's not asking for too much to write some semi-decent characters.
I'll grant that to some degree, but this show got a gigantic amount of hype and was being billed as the next Breaking Bad or Mad Men.
You may be confusing people posting ratings information that showed TWD was doing significantly better than Breaking Bad or Mad Men did when they started. But we all know that big ratings does not always mean great quality.

I for one am just happy to have a pretty good show in a genre I love. Not sure why people need it to be any more than that. This thread is reading like TWD is not the greatest TV show ever made and as such it sucks.

Maybe a more fair comparison would be something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Now, in many ways, we can find lots of reasons why The Walking Dead might strike us as a better show than Buffy. It is more grounded in realism, if that matters to you when consuming tales of supernatural horror. It has much better creature effects and on location cinematography. Buffy was pulpy and TWD is "serious."

I still prefer Buffy, even the early episodes of Season One where Buffy hadn't quite found its footing, for a couple of reasons. Buffy's characters were sharply drawn, even when they were stereotypes. A racist character on Buffy would have found a lot more interesting way to say "I'm not taking orders from no [N-word]" Buffy was more clever. High school is hell. Buffy explored the metaphor in interesting and often unexpected ways, even in episodes that weren't ultimately successful, like The Pack (male peer pressure and cruelty) or The Witch (mothers living vicariously through their daughters).

Buffy eventually got to the point that I think The Walking Dead is trying to get to. Which is the incredible toll that these situations put on your humanity (in Buffy's case the toll of being a "hero" which is a bit different than being a "survivor"). But we saw enough of Buffy's humanity in her humor, her desire to love, and her loyalty to her friends that it mattered when we began to see her responsibilities as a Slayer begin to erode all of those things.

Now, Buffy had rough spots in its first season. I didn't start watching it from the beginning. I may be being unfair to TWD. But I personally find TWD to fall into a kind of No Man's Land. It's not intelligent or thoughtful enough to be taken as a "serious" drama and it's not fun enough to be taken as a genre show.
Also a slightly unfair comparison, as Joss Wheden is regarded as a very talented writer. That show was meant to be clever and witty, because it reflected the personality of its writer. Comparing it to The Wire, as some have, is unfair because The Wire is arguably one of the best shows ever on TV. Comparing it to Breaking Bad or Mad men just because they are on the same network doesn't fly either. This is a Show based on a comic Book. The comic book was engaging and enjoyable but it was a comic book. It wasn't the best written comic, it was just different. There were no other zombie comics out there, minus the Marvel super hero style zombie books. It hit a niche that was on the upswing in popularity. The TV show follows closely to the story arc in the comic so far and I think that is a mistake. It worked better in black and white on a page. Doesn't work as well on screen. I think the show will come into its own in season two if it divorces itself from the overall story arc of the comic, which in parts is plain ridiculous. I would be happy if they wrote a different arc but incorporated small pieces of the comics, encounters that are recognizable from the comic but not quite the same.

The characters should flesh out a bit and as they break from the comic the situations will feel less convoluted. remember when you write a comic, almost every one has to have a climax or cliffhanger. So a series that closely follows a comic will have a structure not all that different from a soap opera. Ridiculous situations that in the comic served to entice young adults to buy next months comic, may, on screen, fall flat.

I will watch it because I enjoy the genre. I watched every episode of Lost and enjoyed them all but it was by no means a "good" show after season 2. Put zombies on screen with ok acting and good budget, I'll watch.

Well, at least I know not to read the thread on this show. I thought it might be interesting to get feedback since I hadn't read the comics, but this is a worse #####fest than the last season of Lost thread, which was a great show after season 2 btw.

Well, at least I know not to read the thread on this show. I thought it might be interesting to get feedback since I hadn't read the comics, but this is a worse #####fest than the last season of Lost thread, which was a great show after season 2 btw.
I think a second nerd-less thread is in order.

Not a bad second episode.

Was I the only one who wanted them to leave the guy on the roof?
No.
In the comic book, "issue 1 Rick" probably does the same thing as in the tv episode. "Issue 50 Rick" not so much. I think this is going to be the evolutionary path they take with him.

:blackdot: to both of you.PSA: This show is called "The Walking Dead". It's about zombies, guns, hoors, and lots of blood. If you're looking for something resembling The Pianist, well...RENT THE PIANIST.

:coffee: to both of you.PSA: This show is called "The Walking Dead". It's about zombies, guns, hoors, and lots of blood. If you're looking for something resembling The Pianist, well...RENT THE PIANIST.
What show are you watching? If I were tuning in for a balls to the walls zombie action gore fest, I'd be much more disappointed. This is a show that intends to be something more than a horror genre show. It would probably be a better show, IMO, if it didn't.But I get it. This is the OMG I LOVE THE WALKING DEAD thread. Only nerds could possibly feel the show has problems.

Charlie Frown said:
In the comic book, "issue 1 Rick" probably does the same thing as in the tv episode. "Issue 50 Rick" not so much. I think this is going to be the evolutionary path they take with him.
So Rick lives for a while eh? Nice spoiler tags nerd

As a long-time reader of the series, I thought the first episode was an impressive start. Unfortunately I thought the second episode went way off the rails in nearly every respect. I enjoy the book too much to not keep going, but my enthusiasm for this show's longevity took a big hit in Week 2. I sincerely hope they get back on track this Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread