What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

Did the disconnect and call back and didn't get any offers at all, even when asking.  I didn't feel like hanging up and doing it again.  Switched over to cox.  
Same here. After 22 years with Direct I'm switching back to cable. Looking forward to not having the TV go out every time we get a little rain or snow.  They're installing Tuesday. Saves me $600 a year. 

Question, will they remove the dish?  Guessing notm

You kept your equipment that long?
I've tried to send it all back twice, but they can't seem to get me the boxes. I talked to them on Friday after getting an email a couple weeks ago saying I had a balance. The woman told me to disregard that email as there is no balance on my account. :shrug:  

I've tried to send it all back twice, but they can't seem to get me the boxes. I talked to them on Friday after getting an email a couple weeks ago saying I had a balance. The woman told me to disregard that email as there is no balance on my account. :shrug:  
I was told to take the equipment to a UPS Store and they will ship it back.    Guess they have a deal with UPS

I'm moving in a month, just in time for my discounts to expire.

With no interest in the Sunday Ticket any more, I don't feel compelled to play the game. I'm just going to disconnect service and then shop as a new customer. My guess is I'll be going with cable for the first year and get discount on my internet service as well unless DTV blows me away.

Same here. After 22 years with Direct I'm switching back to cable. Looking forward to not having the TV go out every time we get a little rain or snow.  They're installing Tuesday. Saves me $600 a year. 

Question, will they remove the dish?  Guessing notm
Nope mine still decorates the back of my house.  I'm too old to be climbing ladders.

Well I didn't think it would work but I did try to call the loyalty dept and tell them about the deal I had to switch to dish. All I was really after was Sunday ticket max. They offered it to me for full price. AT&T has truly ruined what used to be one of the greats in customer service. Now I just need to figure out if I really do want to switch to Dish. I've been out of contract for a few years.

They told me to just take the equipment to ups or FedEx and give them my account number.  They would box it up and ship it free of charge

I'm moving in a month, just in time for my discounts to expire.

With no interest in the Sunday Ticket any more, I don't feel compelled to play the game. I'm just going to disconnect service and then shop as a new customer. My guess is I'll be going with cable for the first year and get discount on my internet service as well unless DTV blows me away.
Why are you moving?  Couple of nice places in my hood for sale. 

Cancelled my service today.  I'm going out of town for the weekend so we will see if the winback offer comes in while I'm gone.

BTW - they offered $10 off a month on a $137/month bill.  lol  The rep even said "Well, that isn't very good and I'm surprised there isn't more available to you."

I've done this dance a bunch of times and we will see if they step up and make a great offer.  If not, then I'll likely go to cable or streaming somehow.
No emails or anything at this stage.  I’ll wait another day or so.

also, i think they have the win back offer in the boxes too if i remember from past years getting them.  (I’ve done this a bunch of times.)

Anyone have the winback number for Directv? I like to have it before I play the game, I usually will call a day later and don't wait for them or the email. Seems to work.

Thanks team

They told me to just take the equipment to ups or FedEx and give them my account number.  They would box it up and ship it free of charge
They asked me what I wanted to do, either ship it or have it picked up. Either way, they haven't been able to get me the boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
need2know said:
How many times did you try calling?
just the one.  the only real advantage DTV gives me over Cox is the Sunday ticket.  I have Saints season tickets, so that wipes out half of that benefit anyway....Everything about cox (interface, customer service, no weather outages) is better.  If they would've offered me the sweetheart deal again, I would've stayed with DTV...but I didn't

just the one.  the only real advantage DTV gives me over Cox is the Sunday ticket.  I have Saints season tickets, so that wipes out half of that benefit anyway....Everything about cox (interface, customer service, no weather outages) is better.  If they would've offered me the sweetheart deal again, I would've stayed with DTV...but I didn't
Thats what sucks about leaving, no more Saints.  Hopefully they are inthe RedZOne allot this season.  lol

I called today. I called the main number. I got a rep who probably wasn't a US resident. I said, "I've been a Directv subscriber for almost 15 years. In the past, I've gotten deals on Sunday Ticket. It's really the only thing keeping me with Directv but there are a bunch of streaming services that would be a lot cheaper for me and Directv isn't really worth it for me if Sunday Ticket is full price." That guy couldn't really help me, so he said his supervisor would call me back. She called me two hours later. After getting disconnected a couple times, she transferred me to loyalty department. That guy was based here in US, super chatty, talked my ear off, but gave me $300-plus in credits to offset the cost of Sunday Ticket Max. Took me 45 minutes total phone time. 

Wish AT&T had english speakers - that messed things up a lot. 

Cancelled last week for today - guy last week offered $60 off no ST. So I passed and went through the disconnect. Sure as the morning sun while watching Squawk on the Street - it went off.

Package arrived today with boxes to send back equipment with a blue letter asking if they could do anything to change my mind and get me back and to call 877-445-0625. This number was a mess of a Phone Response System. Somehow it got me into a path of this number no longer in service. Called it back and again thru voice and keypad I finally reached some girl who clearly had no idea what to do when I took conversation off script and struggled with English. She started looking things up and asking me for the same crap the automated system asked me for. We weren't getting anywhere as she told me to hold about 10 times and a number of long silence periods. So I hung up. Called the 888-333-0804 number and told them about letter - someone name Renz (Phillipino maybe?) - after a little language struggle I got Premier package(every channel you could think of) and equipment down to 135 for 12 months from $230. With STMax for season and $200 gift card. Decided that was good enough. I have ordered Centre Ice in the past - but may opt for the Digital version this year to save some money.

At some point I need to really consider the cord cut - but I hate, hate, hate not going to channel I want and flip around. Daughter has the Apple TV/Antenna/Web mish mash and it is a PITA when it asks you to go reactivate stuff when you just want to relax and watch a game or show or just check a game score. I took a look at Hulu, Vue, Sling and You Tube. I might be able to save there (around $30?) for a comparable setup that has different stations that I'd have to mix and match with. 

DTV is not that great of a service but that $30 is what I pay to watch the Broncos I guess.

If I decide to leave Directv which I am willing to do after 20 years of service  ... how can I get the NFL games out of my viewing area?   Online torrent?   Really hate to miss watching the NFL games and being forced to watch all the Dallas games. 

Cancelled my service today.  I'm going out of town for the weekend so we will see if the winback offer comes in while I'm gone.

BTW - they offered $10 off a month on a $137/month bill.  lol  The rep even said "Well, that isn't very good and I'm surprised there isn't more available to you."

I've done this dance a bunch of times and we will see if they step up and make a great offer.  If not, then I'll likely go to cable or streaming somehow.
Just got the “We want you back email.”

I’ll call tonight or tomorrow and report back.

SHIZNITTTT said:
If I decide to leave Directv which I am willing to do after 20 years of service  ... how can I get the NFL games out of my viewing area?   Online torrent?   Really hate to miss watching the NFL games and being forced to watch all the Dallas games. 
Go to a bar GB.   :thumbup:

SHIZNITTTT said:
I think I may just do the NFL Game Pass route.

Often times I was already watching delayed anyway when my son was playing travel soccer.  While that is over now...his HS band schedule has us at competitions many Saturdays...so now weekend projects are Sunday projects after Church.  So if I have to wait to watch...thats ok.  And for $100 is a good deal and you get the condensed versions of the games

If you could post the number you have to call as well that would be useful.  I haven't heard anything (have been disconnected since 8/2).  
855-267-4160

Let me know how it goes.

i got my boxes to ship receivers back and there was nothing in there about wanting me back which is different than in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
SHIZNITTTT said:
Great resource

Got zilch on my initial call. Shutoff set for Sept 7. Apparently I've already paid through then and they can't do mid month prorated credits. 

They ended up calling me back before our disconnect.  Ended up offering $54 off the bill for 12 months, I said not enough.  They "found" another $35 off for 12 months and free ST.  I had told my wife that it didn't make sense for us to keep them unless they gave us about $90 off the bill per month.  I wasn't going to argue over $1.  Didn't fight for gift card or free movie channels so the call only took about 10 minutes.  Bill was going to be $160 when credits rolled off at disconnect.  Now $70.  (choice extra, DVR, 4 TVs, after taxes and fees ).  

Disconnect is scheduled at midnight tonight.  I have done this twice over the years and never gotten a win-back email or call.  

Hoping for the ST, free HBO for 6 mo. and the Xtra package for $60/mo off (and the usual $10/off for first box - and $10 off for HD).  Our 50mg internet should go back to $40 ($20 off).  

Probably the first time I have ever seriously considered an alternative - local cable or sling (not doing another dish on our house with Dish).  

I waited too long to check my cutoff date and it was 8/10. If I cancel now to force discounts will I be screwed since I’m paid up through 9/10, or will it be seamless and work out?

I waited too long to check my cutoff date and it was 8/10. If I cancel now to force discounts will I be screwed since I’m paid up through 9/10, or will it be seamless and work out?
I'm in the same boat. There wasn't a lot of wiggle room on the cutoff date when I called , so it's set for Sept 7. Stupid on my part that this is at midnight before week 1 starts. 

Got zilch on my initial call. Shutoff set for Sept 7. Apparently I've already paid through then and they can't do mid month prorated credits. 
Yeah, this new thing sucks. In the past you could get an immediate shutoff and there'd be a call from retention the next day. But this year I'm in the same situation as you — paid through Sept 2 so there's not much I can do right now.

Thanks to this message board I was able to get the deal I was looking for. I have been a Directv customer for 7 years and every year I have been able to call into customer retention to get Sunday Ticket for free. This year though it was much more difficult. I was under contract until December 2020 and my bill was over $200 a month before the NFL Ticket charge. I tried calling 3-4 times to see if there was any promotions or specials to get my bill down but no luck, they offered me $5 off or reduce my number of channels. That is when I decided to follow the boards advice to follow through with the actual disconnect.

I set the disconnect date for 8/12, the last day of my billing cycle. I received the "get back" email on Friday 8/9 with a random phone number that didn't work. I tried the number and it didn't seem to be a Directv line. I used the number (888) 333-0804 and said I got the email to see if they can get me to stay. They said they would call me back after I disconnected on Monday, but they wouldn't tell me the deal. I said I needed to know and they said it would be $70 per month for the Extra package that I currently had, free Sunday NFL ticket max and $300 visa gift  card, free premium channels for 3 months. They instructed me to call back once I was officially disconnected and then they can put in the offer. Long story short it worked once disconnected, I got the deal that they offered above and now have a 12 month agreement. They also said I would not be subject to the early cancellation charge of my previous contract, I did not lose any of my recordings and my bill is about $150.00 per month lower. The call center seemed to be overseas and it was a very strange experience but ultimately they were helpful.

I am very happy but they made it very difficult this year. Not sure why they make everyone go through this, has to do with their activation numbers?

They called me this afternoon.  She was nice and asked what they could do to keep me as a customer. (Don't say blue dot. Don't say blue dot).  She pulled up my offers and I landed on 45/mo for next 12 and that is inclusive of ST.   No gift card nor credit for paying 1 month of Sunday Ticket, but I like the new price and I'm done. 

SHIZNITTTT said:
Link

Got my last statement which has a billing cycle of 8/12/19 to 9/11/19. I called 855-267-4160 which someone said was the Loyalty department and could call before having a disconnect setup. I talked to Eric who was very polite. He asked if I have a disconnect set up and said no, I was hoping not to do that. He explained this phone number can't help with that until a disconnect is set up. He said once that is set up, I could call that number back and they could help me out.

So when you call to set up a disconnect, do you just call the normal Customer Service at 800-531-5000?

Got my last statement which has a billing cycle of 8/12/19 to 9/11/19. I called 855-267-4160 which someone said was the Loyalty department and could call before having a disconnect setup. I talked to Eric who was very polite. He asked if I have a disconnect set up and said no, I was hoping not to do that. He explained this phone number can't help with that until a disconnect is set up. He said once that is set up, I could call that number back and they could help me out.

So when you call to set up a disconnect, do you just call the normal Customer Service at 800-531-5000?
Correct. Regular customer service will work. You can say cancel service at the prompt and it'll take you to their loyalty team which isn't as good as the other numbers/teams so wait it out.

Users who are viewing this thread