Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Can you negotiate with DirecTV?


Recommended Posts

I got an email telling me I was disconnected.  It was marked at 3:23am this morning.  I called at 10am this morning and although they saw that I had been disconnected, I needed to call back tomorrow after 12 noon to for the representative to see what discounts I qualified for.  

Going to be a Netflix and Prime day.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, irishnips said:

Got my last statement which has a billing cycle of 8/12/19 to 9/11/19. I called 855-267-4160 which someone said was the Loyalty department and could call before having a disconnect setup. I talked to Eric who was very polite. He asked if I have a disconnect set up and said no, I was hoping not to do that. He explained this phone number can't help with that until a disconnect is set up. He said once that is set up, I could call that number back and they could help me out.

So when you call to set up a disconnect, do you just call the normal Customer Service at 800-531-5000?

1 hour ago, Gottabesweet said:

Correct. Regular customer service will work. You can say cancel service at the prompt and it'll take you to their loyalty team which isn't as good as the other numbers/teams so wait it out.

So called to cancel, another polite man, Winston said he was from the loyalty department. Asked me why I wanted to cancel. Told him too expensive. Asked what I'm interests are and said Sports and movies for the Wife. He checked with his superior and no discounts until my billing period is over (9/11/19). Asked if I should just set up cancel. He said it resets things on your account and even though I have been with them for 7 years, because I cancelled last year it only show as 1 year. He said better deals are given to loyal customers.

He said he would extend the same $100 discount, that I currently have, for next month and said to call them back on 9/12, after my current discounts are all cleared.

Will update once I call back on 9/12.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm calling later today.  Sucks to hear that it's become more difficult.  I've been a customer for 13 of the past 15 years.  Maybe more.

I'll tell them the wife has put the foot down and wants to go to Hulu, etc.  I'll say that they can make things right by lowering the bill and giving the Ticket/RedZone.

We'll see what happens.  I assume I'm going to need to set a cancellation date and call back in a couple weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, irishnips said:

So called to cancel, another polite man, Winston said he was from the loyalty department. Asked me why I wanted to cancel. Told him too expensive. Asked what I'm interests are and said Sports and movies for the Wife. He checked with his superior and no discounts until my billing period is over (9/11/19). Asked if I should just set up cancel. He said it resets things on your account and even though I have been with them for 7 years, because I cancelled last year it only show as 1 year. He said better deals are given to loyal customers.

He said he would extend the same $100 discount, that I currently have, for next month and said to call them back on 9/12, after my current discounts are all cleared.

Will update once I call back on 9/12.

 

He is wrong.  I signed up for Dirtectv (free NFL ST Max) in Aug 2017 via a kiosk in Costco witha 2 yr agreement.  Last year, I tried getting NFL ST Max again free to no avail.  I threatened to cancel and they promptly said "you will owe $240 in early term fees" to which I said ok (local fioptics provider willing to pay ETF for me to transfer).  I cancelled and the day after disconnection I received phone calls from Directv to get me back.  I said eliminate ETF, free NFL ST Max and $100 Off/month.  In the end they agreed.  I paid $27/month (plus $18/mo for HBO sporadically throughout year). 

I just called again and set cancellation up for 8/21 as my 1 yr is up.  Already received mailer on returning equipment via UPS/Fedex.  I'll do same dance as last year but doubt I will even come close.  Totally prepared to ditch Directv for good this year.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm tired of Directv.  Ever since they merged with AT&T, it's been a mess.  I moved in the last year and they gave me new equipment, and I made sure that I wasn't under a new 2 year contract because of the new equipment.  Surprise surprise, now they say I'm under contract.  I've talked to customer service at least 10 times to try to figure out why this is the case (there should be a recording of my initial conversation during the negotiation to be out of contract), but nobody ever calls me back.

I'm too tired of Directv to deal with the same song and dance this year.  It probably wouldn't even work because they'll say I'm under contract.  So I think I'll forego the ticket this year and may just find a way to cut the cord completely.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, irishnips said:

So called to cancel, another polite man, Winston said he was from the loyalty department. Asked me why I wanted to cancel. Told him too expensive. Asked what I'm interests are and said Sports and movies for the Wife. He checked with his superior and no discounts until my billing period is over (9/11/19). Asked if I should just set up cancel. He said it resets things on your account and even though I have been with them for 7 years, because I cancelled last year it only show as 1 year. He said better deals are given to loyal customers.

He said he would extend the same $100 discount, that I currently have, for next month and said to call them back on 9/12, after my current discounts are all cleared.

Will update once I call back on 9/12.

 

Nonsense. I cancelled before the end of my 2-year contract and still got $60/mo. off, a $200 gift card and all the freebies. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2019 at 3:39 PM, SteelCurtain said:

855-267-4120

Let me know how it goes.

 

i got my boxes to ship receivers back and there was nothing in there about wanting me back which is different than in the past.

I got an error message calling that number... ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UGH, these guys SUCK!

Loyalty / Retention my ###... there was NOTHING they wanted to do for me.  

They straight-up told me to cancel my account and have my wife sign up for a new account and we'd get crazy good deals.  Asked him why he couldn't just give me those same deals... ???

So I set a cancellation date.  We'll see if they call me trying to get me to stay.  I will call them early next week to see if they have a deal for me.

Anyone have the direct number to the Loyalty/Retention Dept.?  The number listed earlier wasn't right. 

Any other tips or tricks to work this under the new AT&T regime?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

OMG.  I'm sorry.  855-267-4160.  I'm really sorry.

 

no worries... gonna try them on tuesday unless they reach out first

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, nirad3 said:

UGH, these guys SUCK!

Loyalty / Retention my ###... there was NOTHING they wanted to do for me.  

They straight-up told me to cancel my account and have my wife sign up for a new account and we'd get crazy good deals.  Asked him why he couldn't just give me those same deals... ???

So I set a cancellation date.  We'll see if they call me trying to get me to stay.  I will call them early next week to see if they have a deal for me.

Anyone have the direct number to the Loyalty/Retention Dept.?  The number listed earlier wasn't right. 

Any other tips or tricks to work this under the new AT&T regime?

I see where you’re coming from, but the script is the script for a reason.  Basically every one of us is offered nothing at the step you were at.  Loyalty/retention offers are always worthless and seem to have no bearing on the deal you’ll get doing this. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

for the 13th year in a row its a score

signed a one year agreement.  82.99 for extra package.  free sunday ticket max, 200 visa gift card

im happy

called 888-333-0804 2 days after disconnection

Edited by need2know
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, need2know said:

for the 13th year in a row its a score

signed a one year agreement.  82.99 for extra package.  free sunday ticket max, 200 visa gift card

im happy

called 888-333-0804 2 days after disconnection

Can't remember everyone's situations...did you cancel before your previous discounts had ended?  Or wait till the end?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, need2know said:

for the 13th year in a row its a score

signed a one year agreement.  82.99 for extra package.  free sunday ticket max, 200 visa gift card

im happy

called 888-333-0804 2 days after disconnection

I forget the "script"... do you HAVE to wait until you're fully disconnected?  I'd prefer to not have any interruption in service at all.

I "canceled" yesterday, set up for 9/13.  I plan on calling them next week and until I get something similar. 

Any shot?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

I forget the "script"... do you HAVE to wait until you're fully disconnected?  I'd prefer to not have any interruption in service at all.

I "canceled" yesterday, set up for 9/13.  I plan on calling them next week and until I get something similar. 

Any shot?

I had to disconnect completely but it wasn't for very long last year (maybe 2 days?).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

I forget the "script"... do you HAVE to wait until you're fully disconnected?  I'd prefer to not have any interruption in service at all.

I "canceled" yesterday, set up for 9/13.  I plan on calling them next week and until I get something similar. 

Any shot?

i went without service for 2 days.  i would have gone without service for 2 weeks to get what they just gave me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, notoriousbill said:

I had to disconnect completely but it wasn't for very long last year (maybe 2 days?).

The dolt I talked to yesterday said I wouldn't be able to sign up for another account for 2 years if I disconnected.  :lol:

He wanted to get my wife to replace me on the account, stating he could get her a killer deal.  I told him to just give me that deal... I mean, what's the difference?

The whole thing is just dumb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

I forget the "script"... do you HAVE to wait until you're fully disconnected?  I'd prefer to not have any interruption in service at all.

I "canceled" yesterday, set up for 9/13.  I plan on calling them next week and until I get something similar. 

Any shot?

Ive gotten the deal with pending cancellation before and I’ve had to actually disconnect before. Never in many years have I been offered anything real until I at least setup the cancellation though. Worth a shot to call before 9/13.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think there is a strict protocol here. Depending on who you talk to will determine the outcome. It doesn’t even seem like a phone number or department is better or worse than another this year. 

Set up a cancellation, call for discounts, decline if you’re not satisfied. Call as many times as you want. 

Wait for it to cancel, call for discounts, decline if you aren’t satisfied. Call as many times as you want. 

Getting too frustrated? Move on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, need2know said:

for the 13th year in a row its a score

signed a one year agreement.  82.99 for extra package.  free sunday ticket max, 200 visa gift card

im happy

called 888-333-0804 2 days after disconnection

just got off the phone.  I got the same - I had to wait until the day after disconnect (disconnect at 3am ...called around 10am that same day and they couldn't see discounts available).

used the number above and got the same deal though she told me it was $81 for the extra package (plus $7.13/mo regional sports package).  But got the ST Max for 2019, 3 mo. movie channels - and the $200 VISA GC.  

I had to then get transferred to AT&T to get my internet rebundled to get $20/mo. off. (50MB for $40/mo. after discounts) - that took quite a while.  

Definitely worth it.  :)  :hifive:

 

ETA:  The $81 was all in except taxes ...includes 3 boxes and 3 tv charges.  And 12 mo. contract.

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yessssssssssss!

Only a day in, and got a call.

$93 for 6 months, including all movie channels, sports pack and Sunday Ticket Max

Then $53 a month for next 6 months, HBO and sports pack

$200 gift card (had to ask for that)

And the representative sounded cute asf...  :D

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Yessssssssssss!

Only a day in, and got a call.

$93 for 6 months, including all movie channels, sports pack and Sunday Ticket Max

Then $53 a month for next 6 months, HBO and sports pack

$200 gift card (had to ask for that)

And the representative sounded cute asf...  :D

 

So you did not disconnect?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

So you did not disconnect?

I set up my disconnect day for a random day in the middle of September, to give me enough time to negotiate.  And bam, next day, they are already calling me.

I am pretty darn happy about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, nirad3 said:

I set up my disconnect day for a random day in the middle of September, to give me enough time to negotiate.  And bam, next day, they are already calling me.

I am pretty darn happy about it.

Nice. Not to be a downer but watch them closely and if possible review your account online to make sure they followed thru.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cap'n grunge said:

Nice. Not to be a downer but watch them closely and if possible review your account online to make sure they followed thru.

She said I'd get an email stating that there were changes made to my account... haven't seen it yet but will definitely follow up.  Thanks for the reminder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like this might be the final year of DirecTV for me, their offer to keep me after 18 years: 2 months free Showtime. Hrmph! She did say call back once it is actually turned off (I called the day of shut off and she said wait a few days and call again).

Service has been shut off for a week now and I don't want to call. Even if a rep calls me back to offer the same incredible deal as last year ($40/mo with full NFL, HBO, 2 dvrs), I think it's cheaper to pay for Sling to get Redzone channel during the season and stream the other channels/movies/series etc..

Did not realize how little I watch on DirecTV until it got shut off. Got an antenna for $20, have Amazon Prime (add HBO for $15/mo) and Netflix - and coming in November will have Disney with ESPN at $8/mo.

What's also odd is how spoiled I have become since the first dvrs and now the streaming. Having to fast forward with a dvr has started to annoy me so much I would rather wait for whatever series to become available without any commercials at all.

It makes little sense to give them $480/year + tax/fees if I can sub to Sling and just cancel in December after Redzone isn't needed anymore. I was never able to flip through games in my 18 or so years with DirecTV Sunday Ticket for free because it was ALWAYS a beer/car commercial for the game I'd change the channel to. Last 5 or so years I always left it on redzone channel.

Thanks for the many free years of NFL, the service was great despite having to do the same stupid negotiation call in August. At this point I think this satellite TV service will be just about dead soon (unless you live somewhere without broadband).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, dancingbones said:

My discounts from last year expire at the end of this month (July).  

Set my cancellation date for 8/1 & will see what happens.  I plan on actually letting the service disconnect & then if they have a great win back offer that includes ST Max I will consider it.  Will let you know how it turns out. Good luck all :thumbup:

Was a bit complicated for me this year by the fact that I had my roof replaced while I had service disconnected & need a tech to come out to re-align the dish. 

Disconnected officially 8/2 - didn't miss the service at all but wanted to make sure everything was working right so called the number on the email they sent this evening - that office was closed.  So I called 888-333-0804 - and ended up with:

Choice/HD/DVR (1 TV), 

$67.12/mo + tax after discounts 

Free ST MAX

Free HBO/SHO/Starz 3 mos (need to cancel)

$300 visa gift card (had to wait for that - they originally offered $100, then $200, finally $300)

1 yr agreement

Free tech to come out & re-align dish tomorrow AM.

Not as good as last year, but enough to keep me as a customer. 

Edited by dancingbones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jeter23 said:

In the past, there was an option to chat online to reps but I haven't found that this year. Anyone know if they cut that from the site?

Chat now buttons are all over their app and their website

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just called to cancel - service to shut off on Sunday. No attempt to offer me anything, even though I was talking to the loyalty dept. Literally said, "We have no offers for you."

 

I'll give it a shot a couple of days after service cuts off, but this really may be the end of DirecTV for me. C'est la vie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, rail said:

Just called to cancel - service to shut off on Sunday. No attempt to offer me anything, even though I was talking to the loyalty dept. Literally said, "We have no offers for you."

 

I'll give it a shot a couple of days after service cuts off, but this really may be the end of DirecTV for me. C'est la vie. 

meh.  Same for the vast majority of us - they make you disconnect, wait a full day - then give you $60/mo. off, 3 mo. free movie channels, and a $200 gift card.  It's a weird game - but it's their game.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

meh.  Same for the vast majority of us - they make you disconnect, wait a full day - then give you $60/mo. off, 3 mo. free movie channels, and a $200 gift card.  It's a weird game - but it's their game.  

do they contact you with that offer or do you have to initiate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, been busy. Credits expire on Friday.  I have no contract. trying to figure out the timeline for this....

first call before Friday?

arrange disconnect for after? Do we lose our dvr'd programs?

give it a day or so after disconnect to call that new number? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, so when I was finally going to leave DirecTV, they just pulled me back in.

I had zero intention of staying with them when I set up my cancellation.  I already ordered YouTube TV and have been using it this week and it's been fine.  Got a call just now from DirecTV retention.  Guy on the other end sounded like a bumbling idiot who didn't even care that he was calling and I almost hung up.  But then figured I had nothing to lose.  Told him I'm switching to a streaming service, mostly care about sports and I'll only be paying $50/month.  Unless he can beat that significantly, I'm not interested.  FWIW, I have the Choice package with 4 DVR receivers (Whole Home Genie) and pay $67/month with taxes.  Those credits were ending this month anyway.

--Just got upgraded from my Choice to Xtra.

--Keep my 4 receivers and Whole Home Genie with DVR service

--New price is $42/month + taxes

--Also sending me a $200 Visa GC

--No commitment.

I asked about Sunday Ticket, but he said I had it last year and couldn't do it for me with what he had.  He said just call in a couple weeks and they can probably hook me up.   Don't really care about ST anymore, though, so it didn't matter.

I had to take this for < $30/month for the next year. 

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Drunken knight said:

OK, been busy. Credits expire on Friday.  I have no contract. trying to figure out the timeline for this....

first call before Friday?

arrange disconnect for after? Do we lose our dvr'd programs?

give it a day or so after disconnect to call that new number? 

Sounds like people have been able to set up cancellation and still get deals, but in some cases, you've had to cancel and then call the WINBACK number. In my case, I still had credits until the end of October, so I had to fully cancel. I was able to get a WINBACK offer once my service was shut off that night. I called the next morning. 

Rententions: 855-267-4160 2019 This is the number they email out right away. 

WINBACK: 888-333-0804 This is the number they email a couple weeks later. 

New customer prices are going up, so they might start upping the WINBACK monthly rates, but I'd say Xtra for 60/mo, $200 GC, HBO for a year (3 months on the other movie channels), ST MAX on a 1 year deal is about par for the course this year. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Man, so when I was finally going to leave DirecTV, they just pulled me back in.

I had zero intention of staying with them when I set up my cancellation.  I already ordered YouTube TV and have been using it this week and it's been fine.  Got a call just now from DirecTV retention.  Guy on the other end sounded like a bumbling idiot who didn't even care that he was calling and I almost hung up.  But then figured I had nothing to lose.  Told him I'm switching to a streaming service, mostly care about sports and I'll only be paying $50/month.  Unless he can beat that significantly, I'm not interested.  FWIW, I have the Choice package with 4 DVR receivers (Whole Home Genie) and pay $67/month with taxes.  Those credits were ending this month anyway.

--Just got upgraded from my Choice to Xtra.

--Keep my 4 receivers and Whole Home Genie with DVR service

--New price is $42/month + taxes

--Also sending me a $200 Visa GC

--No commitment.

I asked about Sunday Ticket, but he said I had it last year and couldn't do it for me with what he had.  He said just call in a couple weeks and they can probably hook me up.   Don't really care about ST anymore, though, so it didn't matter.

I had to take this for < $30/month for the next year. 

No ST, but the monthly rate is lower than most have gotten.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, footballallday said:

Sounds like people have been able to set up cancellation and still get deals, but in some cases, you've had to cancel and then call the WINBACK number. In my case, I still had credits until the end of October, so I had to fully cancel. I was able to get a WINBACK offer once my service was shut off that night. I called the next morning. 

Rententions: 855-267-4160 2019 This is the number they email out right away. 

WINBACK: 888-333-0804 This is the number they email a couple weeks later. 

New customer prices are going up, so they might start upping the WINBACK monthly rates, but I'd say Xtra for 60/mo, $200 GC, HBO for a year (3 months on the other movie channels), ST MAX on a 1 year deal is about par for the course this year. 

 

They offered me $85 for Choice and 2 TVs with $200 GC and ST Max.  

 

I turned it down.  I'll likely give them one more chance.  I'm going to try to set up YouTube TV and see how it is before I make a final decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...