What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (3 Viewers)

I did a warm up with sirius xm today. Almost cancelled because Spotify. Kept the select pkg for $25 for 5 months.
Not to hijack, but I have been doing this for the last 6 yrs with SiriusXM.  Set a reminder in my phone for every 5 months to call and cancel and go through the same spiel with the person every time until they find "the exclusive deal that I qualify for"

Not to hijack, but I have been doing this for the last 6 yrs with SiriusXM.  Set a reminder in my phone for every 5 months to call and cancel and go through the same spiel with the person every time until they find "the exclusive deal that I qualify for"
Yeah i've been paying too much. Last couple of years around 120-130 a year for all access pkg. I downsized to the select pkg. They kept quoting me high rates and i said no i'll cancel then they offered the 5 month thing.

I recently signed up for the internet streaming only (I think? ...I don't have a sirius radio) for 1 month free.  What is my best move after the free month?

I recently signed up for the internet streaming only (I think? ...I don't have a sirius radio) for 1 month free.  What is my best move after the free month?
Never pay their ridiculous published rates. They will give you a better deal. Just talk to someone and keep saying that's too much as they keep running down lower and lower rates. Call back and talk to someone else if you need to. 

Yesterday at 5:00 I made my deal. Never got an email but as I said above, I was curious about "keywords." After talking to the rep it became clear that the key phrase is "Perfect Solution." Aside: I'm also an AT&T customer so I asked if there was anything extra for that. He said I need to call AT&T but as he understands it, I can use a Bundle Code and get unlimited data. 

$42 + $10 autopay = $52 off ($624)

$200 GC

ST Max ($353.94)

3 mo. Movie channels ($53.99 x 3 = $161.97)

So $824 in real savings plus $515.91 in soft savings = $1,339.91. 

I was also upgrading to the Genie and Mini Genie for free too. He had an install opening for today so I agreed. I asked him to turn my service back on immediately so I could watch tv last night and then they could upgrade today. ”Yes. For sure." Later on, no tv. Call back at night. Different guy was cool but it was a huge rigmarole for him to change another reps order and he said it would change my install and it "makes it look like I'm stealing his customer." He said he could do it but it was taking forever. After 25 minutes I said I don't want to do this all night and waste your time too. Let's just keep it the same and can you give me something else for my time? He came back with another $30 credit.

$30 off one-time = $1,369.91.

Installer shows up and I ask about an HR54 Genie. He only has an HR44. He also said he can't give me a C61K Mini Genie as those as reserved only for 4K. My tv is about to go out and I want to be forward compatible for 4K so I don't get locked into 24 month agreements. 

Dude is also hassling me when I tell him I'm thinking I want to keep my HR22 instead of a Genie Mini so I would have 5 + 2 tuners and the extra HD space on the 2nd DVR vs the Genie Mini which has no space. I was thinking the HR22 was 500 GB but it may be only 100 or 300. He said you don't want to do that (which he may be right). I said I would have 7 tuners vs 5 and 1.1 - 1.3 TB vs 1 TB. He goes, "You're thinking about it wrong. You're going from 4 tuners to 5 and under 1 TB to a TB."  :wall:  Now I have read about some hassles of keeping a 22 with a Genie. Looks like you may lose a tuner anyway and it's older and probably slower, but the benefit is you have the extra recording space and if the Genie dies you don't lose everything. 

Canceled the install because he didn't have an HR54. I'll reconsider whether it's worth keeping one HR22 over a Mini. I'm going to call and just get everything running again like my initial Rep said he would, then decide whether I want to do the hardware upgrade to Genie and get stuck with 24 months. Anybody else keep DVRs with their Genie system?  :shrug:

tl:dr ~ Got all the savings as everyone else after calling, plus $30 for their mistake of not immediately reconnecting me. Installer came out for hardware but I wasn't feeling it and canceled install. I'll reassess hardware and just reconnect for now with my HR22's. 

Called yesterday after reading this thread.  (Did the same thing last year).

Was offered $45 off/mo 12 mos, ST Max for $180, free showtime 3 mos.

Went ahead & set a cancel date of last night - disconnected at 3 AM.

Called the number in this thread at about noon (had no email or call).

Referenced the "big deal" email - & they came back with the "perfect solution"

$35 off/12 mos + $10 auto pay = $45 off/12 mos (Choice)

Free ST Max

$200 GC (had to ask)

No movie channels. (asked multiple times). 12 mos agreement. Good enough for me! 

This a thread that keeps on paying! :thumbsup:

Called yesterday after reading this thread.  (Did the same thing last year).

Was offered $45 off/mo 12 mos, ST Max for $180, free showtime 3 mos.

Went ahead & set a cancel date of last night - disconnected at 3 AM.

Called the number in this thread at about noon (had no email or call).

Referenced the "big deal" email - & they came back with the "perfect solution"

$35 off/12 mos + $10 auto pay = $45 off/12 mos (Choice)

Free ST Max

$200 GC (had to ask)

No movie channels. (asked multiple times). 12 mos agreement. Good enough for me! 

This a thread that keeps on paying! :thumbsup:

First off Dancing Bones - how are you?

Has anyone had the ATT Unlimited Data package that is offered if you have and maintain a DTV service?

I'm wondering if I call and set a cancel date, if they disconnect me for a night will that cancel out my ATT package. Would be curious to hear if anyone has had success keeping the Unlimited Data with ATT while disconnecting for a day with DTV.

Sad thing about DTV right now is that even with $50 off for 12 months and a $200 gift card the price still doesn't even compete with cable pricing for me.

Sad thing about DTV right now is that even with $50 off for 12 months and a $200 gift card the price still doesn't even compete with cable pricing for me.
I could get cable cheaper than DTV but I love DTV and have been with them for about 15 years. For me the sad part is having to do this song and dance every year, and it's to the point where we have to cancel to get a deal. They give new customers the world and loyal, long time customers get jack.

I could get cable cheaper than DTV but I love DTV and have been with them for about 15 years. For me the sad part is having to do this song and dance every year, and it's to the point where we have to cancel to get a deal. They give new customers the world and loyal, long time customers get jack.
:goodposting:

Went to Canada with my cousin last week and during the 10 hour drive we talk about everything and anything..

I brought up how I needed to call DirectTV in the next couple weeks to re-up my "deals" .. His first question was "what deals??" ... Started explaining the games we play every year to get the discounts.
Seems he has been with DirectTV for 10 years and has never called to see if he could get it cheaper. He assumed, like many, that he was "stuck" with the pricing unless he wanted to move to cable or Dish..

Thus the reason DirectTV does what they do ... :moneybag: ... Guessing 70% or more of their long term customers never call to try and get a better price. 

Set the cancellation date last night and received the Big Deal email today.  It says with a two year commitment.  I am ok with a one year so I can do this again next year but not two years.  This may have been discussed but I haven't seen it.  Whats the normal deal entail commitment wise?

Called and spoke to retention and no discounts available to me. Suggested i pay one bill at full price and then there would be. I declined. Offered me $5 a month for 12 months. Said no thanks. Disconnect set for 8-25. Could have went 9-1 but wanted to move this process up a few days. Have 12 months left so will be charged $240 disconnect fee. Didn't really want to offer me anything. I hope i get an email or call.

Now I'm wondering if I screwed up because I didn't pay the 13th month at full rates. Is that some sort of trigger to get the best deal? I guess we will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Called and spoke to retention and no discounts available to me. Suggested i pay one bill at full price and then there would be. I declined. Offered me $5 a month for 12 months. Said no thanks. Disconnect set for 8-25. Could have went 9-1 but wanted to move this process up a few days. Have 12 months left so will be charged $240 disconnect fee. Didn't really want to offer me anything. I hope i get an email or call.
I took the $50 off a month for 12 months and one free payment for ST, so I'm ending up over $400 ahead.  But then I see a bunch of messages here about how easy it was to get the big deal and over $1000 in value, and it makes me wonder a bit if I should have held out for more.  But it does seem so random what you get and who you speak to.  Why not set the disconnect for this week and get it over with?  Having to wait until 8/25 would make me anxious just having it hanging over my head. 

For those that cancel and then sign up again, do you lose your "customer since xxxx" designation?  I guess it really doesn't matter, as they don't really seem to care much about loyalty and give deals to anyone to retain the business.

On phone now setting up cancel for this Friday...she hasn't even offered me any discount. Just offered to suspend my account for up to 6 months. I've got 10 months left on contract. First time they never offered a single discount (even $5 off). No worries...I can't wait for the Big Deal offer!

Called on Monday, and still no email/call back.  Cancelletion was set for tonight.  Will likely call in this afternoon using the strategy MrPack and others have used.

It might feel like playing "chicken" in a car, but you have to cancel. They will then bend over backwards to get you to come back. I set a cancel date of this past Tuesday when I called them last Friday. I then called Tuesday morning and said I was curious about this great deal email before sending my equipment back. (no, I never got that email). After 10 minutes of the agent asking me what i liked, family watched, got $47 a month off bill for a year, free ST Max, $200 visa gift card, and 3 months of free movie channels. Only a 1 year commitment (could have gotten Genie but that would have required 2 year, so I passed) 

Just got off the phone with DirecTV. Here's how my progression went:

Called on Monday. Was offered $9 off a month and another $5 for a month. Rep suggested that I call back closer to the season to see whether there were any other promotions. I said OK. (Not sure why I didn't press the issue. I must not have been in the mood for "the call" yet.)

Called back yesterday (Wednesday) and said "cancel service" at the main menu. Retention wouldn't budge. So I set up a cancellation date for Sunday, August 21. I told them that my family wanted to be able to finish watching the Olympics (which is true) and that I needed time to set things up with Dish (which wasn't). 

For those who are thinking about following through with the cancellation if they call your bluff: it's kind of a cold conversation, and it really does feel like you're done with DirecTV. They take you through all the steps: sending the equipment back, paying the early termination fee, and so on. Stay tough, though. The very worst that can happen is you chicken out in a couple of days and call back to reinstate your service, though you won't have to do this.

At 9:00 a.m. this morning, I got a call from Juan, an account manager. The conversation went as others have described it. He asked tons of questions about what I like to watch, what channels I watch most and which ones I wish I had, what others options I was looking at, etc. I mentioned that Dish has the NFL Red Zone. I mentioned that if I were a new subscriber, I'd be getting a really sweet deal. That's when he dropped the phrase that a lot of others have mentioned: he said he could get me the perfect solution, which was this:

• Sunday Ticket Max for free
  • $35 of a month for a year (which got me a better programming package for less money)
  • another $10 off a month for a year
  • free premium channels for three months
The cancellation call took 15 minutes. This morning's conversation took 25. 

Annnnnnd done.

Called the 855-407-3110 number, got a friendly female rep...told her my service was shut off last night and that I got an email saying they want me back and they have a Big Deal for me...she said "you got an email from us, correct?" I said yes and she said let me check on that and put me on hold for about a minute. She came back and said let me tell you about the deal referenced in the email that you DID receive (she emphacized  "DID", even though I didnt get an email). lol

After about 5 minutes of chit chat she said she had the Perfect Solution and was offered the Choice package along with

• $35 off a month
  • $10 off a month
  • Free Sunday Ticket MAX
Which made my bill $53.62 per month (before taxes etc) with a 12 month agreement. So then I said "Is there any type of gift card offer"? and she said Great question, yes there is, I can have a $200 Visa gift card sent out to you, it will arrive in 6-8 weeks, no need to activate it online or anything, It will be sent directly to you.

Asked about a Genie upgrade, and she said yes but it would require a 2 year agreement, so I passed. They ARE sending me a DVR replacement since I mentioned mine is very laggy. No cost there.

So there you have it. $1060 in savings/free money. I didnt ask about HBO etc since I can stream all of those shows online.

Easy peasy. Thanks, FBG DirecTv thread, youve done it again. :confetti:

I called yesterday to cancel my service (set it up for Saturday).  I called this morning referencing the Big Deal email (which I never got) and ended up with the following:

$50/month off for 3 months, drops to $45/month for the next 9 months

Free ST Max

$200 Visa gift card

Easy as pie. No haggling, nothing.  

I just had to create a login so I could thank you all so much!!!! Last year I called and threatened to cancel and they gave me NFL Sunday ticket, this year I called 3 times and they just wouldn't give it to me. The best they offered was $50 off a month for a year and a discount on NFL Sunday ticket. Then I found this wonderful form! I called on Tuesday and set up a cancellation date for that night at midnight, planned on calling the number you guys gave on Wednesday and tell them I received an email. They actually called me @ 9 am and asked why I cancelled. And we talked blah blah blah. I joined because of sunday ticket but no longer have it. Love watching movies. More blah blah blah. She then told me the choice package I was in was perfect and she was going to give me $54 off a month for a year, the movie channels free for 3 months, and free Sunday ticket for the upcoming season! I told her that was amazing but Verizon sometimes gives me gift cards would you be able to do the same, and she threw in the $200 visa card. So again thanks guys for everything, can't believe I was able to get this amazing deal!

Do they even care at all if you're under contract for this?  I've done it for years, but last year was the first time I extended my deal 2 years. Going to try anyway, just wondering. 

Just got the big deal email. Will call this afternoon. :tup:
Well this is annoying. She says discounts aren't available to me yet. Might be because my disconnect is too far out. Will disconnect tonight and call me in the morning with whats available. Couldn't confirm exactly what that is but should be what is in email. If not can reestablish my disconnect date to the 25th. :sigh:

Well this is annoying. She says discounts aren't available to me yet. Might be because my disconnect is too far out. Will disconnect tonight and call me in the morning with whats available. Couldn't confirm exactly what that is but should be what is in email. If not can reestablish my disconnect date to the 25th. :sigh:
Yeah, you gotta wait til its shut off, because the Big Deal is technically for NEW customers, which you will be once they disconnect your service. Dont sweat it, youll get the Big Deal.

Yeah, you gotta wait til its shut off, because the Big Deal is technically for NEW customers, which you will be once they disconnect your service. Dont sweat it, youll get the Big Deal.
But they sent me the email before i was disconnected. I didn't even have to fib about receiving it. Give me my big deal people!

When you disconnect and reconnect you don't lose your recorded programs, series mgr setup, and other settings do you? I have the genie setup.

Love how this thread has turned. Few months ago the thought was DTV has changed they have gotten tough no discounts we're going to be given.

Then boom the perks started rolling in and all is right in the world again. 

Done deal:

$37 x 12 months

$10 x 10 months autobill pay

3 months of movie channels

Sunday Ticket Max free

$200 gift card (had to request)

Thanks everyone!

Anyone had success getting the deal with still having a year or a little less left on their contract?  Just wondering because last year I got it with still having a yeear left on my contract.  Wondered if they were still being this generous again this year.

My story this week.

Wed call - got offered 30 off/mo for 24 mos or 50 off/mo for 12 mos. No Sunday Ticket.  Said I'd think about it.

Thurs call - $9 off per mo toward Sunday Ticket.  Said no thanks and scheduled my cancel for Monday.

Now I wait.

Cancelled on wed night and just called (I'm out of town not even sure if it was off). Same deal everyone else got! (Never got a call or email here either) Pretty pumped to get the gift card being I missed out on it last year. Awesome thread! 

Called and got customer service...I asked to be sent to retentions.  They offered me some discounts but said that they couldn't give Sunday Ticket for free.  I said that I wanted to set up a end service date.  I set it for Aug 22.  Was that too far away?

Also, I am in the middle of a 2 year contract, will that screw things up you think?

I don't understand all you guys setting the cancel date in the future 

Cancel immediately 

Next day call and get your free stuff

It's that simple 
I think most are trying to get the deals without actually canceling...
But it seems that in order to get all ( Money off per month, Free ST Max, Free Movie channels for 3 months & the $200 Gift Card) Cancellation is the only way..

Will find out the week of 8/24 when all my discounts expire :popcorn:

I think most are trying to get the deals without actually canceling...
But it seems that in order to get all ( Money off per month, Free ST Max, Free Movie channels for 3 months & the $200 Gift Card) Cancellation is the only way..

Will find out the week of 8/24 when all my discounts expire :popcorn:
Last year all you had to do was set a cancel date, not actually have service canceled to get the whole deal (I set mine out about three days and on the following day I called and got the whole deal).  Maybe setting it out more than a few days limits your chances of getting the full boat this year :shrug:  (not sure why that would be though).

Users who are viewing this thread