What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (2 Viewers)

Landry's YPA:FSU: 7.4Kansas: 7.6T-Tech: 7.5TAMU: 6.6His season average per attempt is 8.6, top five in the nation. It's a full yard better than last season, if you want to talk about "growth". His qb rating is also improved. I'll give you the A&M game, it was a full two yards low. But the other ones aren't "really bad" by any stretch. To call him really bad is exaggerating. Let's be real. At his best, he's near top of the class, at his worst, he's still very good. Bring it back down to Earth, man...
:goodposting: So he's not Sam Bradford. But not many are.
Yeah, he's awesome. We know he's no Sam Bradford but he's simply not that good. He was supposed to be a Heisman candidate, his draft stock has fallen and he's helping lose games...not win them.

There is no way I thought they'd lose at home (yet to Techa Tech), to Baylor and then by 70 to Okie State when the season started. Obviously injuries have impacted this team more than any in recent memory, but they've just not been very good a lot. Jones was off a lot, the running game never recovered from Whaley going down and the defense was not nearly as good as we all thought it would be.

I think they are going to the Alamo Bowl. If so, I'll probably go.

This was downright embarrasing. Congratz to the Pokes fans. At least they had something to play for anyways.

Did OU even make it to the cotton bowl?

:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
This was downright embarrasing. Congratz to the Pokes fans. At least they had something to play for anyways.Did OU even make it to the cotton bowl?:facepalm:
It would be a travesty if OU received the Cotton Bowl invite over Baylor.

There is some good news, as the key injuries to Broyles and Whaley have allowed Kameel Jackson and Brandon Williams to get quality time. And the lack of goal line running after Whaley went down led to the emergence of the Bell-Cat. sweet.

Very disappointing season though. No one foresaw the secondary having so much trouble. Even Phil Steele predicted a top 5 finish in pass defense. Factor in Corey Nelson going back on his spring progress, and Travis Lewis being hobbled, the only real stud Tony Jefferson could never really hold a position. He spent the whole year filling blanks in the D. The DE's were great all year, but all it took was some screens, inside running, or Robert Griffin to get past them.

Here's hoping they improve as a defensive squad and an overall team next season.

I think this is a good thing. I feel like the two biggest issues last year were redzone offense and then defense. I like younger Stoops as a defensive improvement.In other news, Landry was at Pickelman's this past weekend. I don't know that I'd go back, little pricey. I'll stick to O'Connell's on burger night or student nights.

I think this is a good thing. I feel like the two biggest issues last year were redzone offense and then defense. I like younger Stoops as a defensive improvement.In other news, Landry was at Pickelman's this past weekend. I don't know that I'd go back, little pricey. I'll stick to O'Connell's on burger night or student nights.
wtf is Pickleman's? Do you ever eat at the Greek House? I have dreams about that place every once in awhile.

wtf is Pickleman's? Do you ever eat at the Greek House? I have dreams about that place every once in awhile.
That place is awesome and I like the phone booth feel at lunch time. :thumbup:

It's a relatively new place on Campus Corner, down a bit from Louie's.I have never heard of Greek House. I pretty much rotate through O'Connell's and Hideaway when I want to sit down somewhere and eat.

ETA: where is this Greek House? I'll have to go check it out. Think it's a good place to take a chick? I know one who likes to try out restaurants...

It's a relatively new place on Campus Corner, down a bit from Louie's.I have never heard of Greek House. I pretty much rotate through O'Connell's and Hideaway when I want to sit down somewhere and eat.

ETA: where is this Greek House? I'll have to go check it out. Think it's a good place to take a chick? I know one who likes to try out restaurants...
Corner of Jenkins and Boyd. Definitely not a date place. If you like Greek food though it's pretty good. Their menu is really small but you can get a lot of food for pretty cheap. urbanspoon

Venebles looks to be heading to Clemson to become their D Coordinator. As a Sooner fan I just don't see why Clemson would want anyone from the defensive side of Oklahoma football. GL to Venebles and Mike Stoops is going to have a lot of pressure on him to make the Sooner Defense respectable sooner rather than later.

Mike has less pressure than any dc in America. If OU's D is good next year, and he's still a genius. If it sucks, it's Venables' fault for not leaving him any talent.

Schedule finalized:

Didn't nail down FSU, but this'll do:

9/1 @UTEP

9/8 Florida A&M

Bye

9/22 KSU

Bye

10/6 @TTU

10/13 UT in Dallas

10/20 KU

10/27 Notre Dame

11/3 @ISU

11/10 Baylor

11/17 @WVU

11/24 OSU

12/1 @ TCU

I really would have liked to see them at least nail down North Dakota State if the had to go FCS. But beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

Sports have produced plenty of manias over the past year. No one in these parts has been all too thrilled to be reminded of Tebow hysteria in Denver. There was enough of that for Sooner fans when they took on Florida in the 2008 BCS National Championship game.

The New York Knicks' Jeremy Lin was another interesting situation where a player grabbed hold of a fan base and became bigger than a team - and for some, maybe bigger than the sport.

To say Blake Bell and the Belldozer, the Sooners' version of the Wildcat offense with a 6-foot-6, 255-pound quarterback, were anywhere near the level of Tebow or Lin last season would be stretching the truth. But it certainly has been one of the bigger manias surrounding OU football in the last few years.

The Belldozer's finest moment had to be last season's Insight Bowl, when Bell rushed for three touchdowns and carried the ball ten times for 51 yards.

For his efforts, Bell was named the Insight Bowl Offensive MVP.

Meanwhile, Landry Jones stood on the podium with a chipped tooth suffered after he scrambled from the pocket and took off downfield before taking a vicious hit from an Iowa defender.

The play by Jones picked up a first-down, a personal foul, and put the Sooners in position to score at the Iowa 7-yard line before Bell used his feet to pick up the rest of the yardage and put the Sooners up 14-0 in the second quarter.

For Sooner fans, it was the best example of what went right for Oklahoma's offense in 2011.

While Bell was being celebrated during the last half of the season, Jones was being criticized for not being able to move the offense as efficiently as he once did with a healthy Ryan Broyles.

Every touchdown from Bell seemed to generate more whispers from fans.

Would this cause division in the Oklahoma locker room? Will this cause division between OU fans?

Bob Stoops told a story the day after the Insight Bowl about Jones giving a hard time to Bell because he didn't shower after the game. Call it a cautionary tale to those who might turn the whispers into criticisms about who should be Oklahoma's starting quarterback.

"(Landry's) getting on to Blake because he isn't taking a shower," Stoops said back in late December. "He says, 'What? I only played nine or 10 plays.' And he gets the MVP? Can you believe they gave it to him? Jeez oh man.

"Give it to the guy who has the chipped tooth that got him down there, got sacked twice and overcame it."

There have been no outward signs of division from players concerning Jones and Bell. No derisive statements inside the interview room when Bell and Jones come up in conversation. No wayward Tweets or Facebook posts have leaked out to indicate any controversy.

Although most players and coaches know some fans and media would like nothing more than to have a Jones/Bell soap opera to report on and talk about.

They know second-guessing is a favorite pastime.

Inside the program, players and coaches still go out of their way to praise both players for their abilities and their individual contributions to the offense.

Everyone continues to stand behind both players and what they bring to the table offensively.

"It's pretty much the most effective thing we had," said starting offensive lineman Gabe Ikard of the Belldozer. "It worked well last year and we might as well keep it rolling.

"It's one of those things where Blake's skillset fits that package really well. Landry's the starting quarterback, but Blake's 255 or 260 and he can run and he's powerful. It's one of those things when you can find places to put players on the field in certain situations, then that's what you do."

Quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel was asked just the other day if he worries about a chemistry problem because of the Belldozer and its effectiveness.

After all, it can't be easy for a potential first-round draft pick giving way to another player on 3rd-and-short at midfield.

"I appreciate Landry for this, and I think it says a lot about him because Landry doesn't care," he said. "He wants to score points. If he drives down the field to the two-yard line and drives the ball down the field and Blake goes in there for him, he's as happy as anybody. He doesn't care.

"At the end of the day, Landry came back for this reason, and why he chose (OU). He wants to win a championship. He wants to win another conference championship and an opportunity to play for the other one and that's pretty special too."

Maybe the best example that shows why these two can co-exist was best illustrated last year in Stillwater.

Down 44-3 with just over six minutes remaining, the OU offense took over. Bell finally broke loose for a 28-yard touchdown run giving the Sooners their only offensive touchdown of the game.

What did Bell do when the Sooners finally broke the seal on the OSU goal line?

He ran back to the OU sideline like nothing had happened.

No handshakes, no high-fives. He just scored and kept on running until he got to the bench.

Bell understood the situation. The Sooners were getting embarrassed. He wasn't interested in drawing attention to himself.

Bell also realizes he can be better. If he had any designs on the starting QB job at Oklahoma, he just needs a small reminder of his 0-for-2 passing stats in the Belldozer last season. One of those incompletions was actually an interception.

It's enough for some fans to question whether he can be a successful throwing quarterback at Oklahoma.

"Does it bother me?" asked Heupel of Bell's throwing stats in the Belldozer last season. "Yeah. If you're going to throw the ball you want to be efficient.

"But It's completely different," said Heupel of throwing the ball so close to the line of scrimmage with so many defenders crammed into the box. "It's completely different. Does it bother me or concern me that I think Blake Bell can't throw because he's 0-for-2 in the Bell package? No, it does not. But does it bother me that we're 0-for-2 in that package? Yes."

The Belldozer though, as a power running option, has been an incredible succes. It's something this staff has been criticized for in the past - a lack of ingenuity - although, you'll probably find every offense at major programs across the country being criticized for the same things.

This spring, sources tell SoonerScoop.com Bell has been working some at tight end to help out in practices (the Sooners only have two scholarship tight ends on the roster).

Just last week, Heupel laughed off the talk of Bell playing tight end.

"How many quarterbacks have you seen play tight end?" he asked. "There's not a lot."

But that doesn't mean Stoops and Oklahoma aren't committed to the Belldozer package.

Even if it does create the potential headaches of messaging egos and keeping tabs on the rumor mill, it works. And to take it away, after seeing it work so well a year ago, would be even worse than dealing with the potential drama it creates.

"There was a lot of thought that went into what we're doing," said Stoops, who rarely talks about Bell without mentioning Landry. "But, to be quite honest with you, if I'm gonna throw the ball on fourth-and-a-half-yard, I'm gonna leave Landry in there to throw it. That isn't gonna change."

As long as Jones and Bell don't lose track of this being about winning, it doesn't need to.
Good work, Bob. Now the defense knows it's going to be a run when Belldozer is in there on 4th and short! :shock:

:unsure:

But seriously folks, I want to see Bell get a lot more snaps this year. See if he can actually throw the pig a little.

Coach Norvell said he was really excited to see some of the things our new recruiting class can and will be doing...had Easter dinner with him and Cameron Kenney - guy is incredibly nice.

Trey Metoyer is apparently getting Norvell very excited with some of the things he can do. I think that we might not be needing the Belldozer as much next year, with some ability from Landry to really pass the ball in the redzone, kind of like the Arizona Cardinals did well back in 08. Stills has been in the Huff a few times (basketball) lately and the dude can get up - I'm amazed we don't try a few more jump ball type plays with him....

"There was a lot of thought that went into what we're doing," said Stoops, who rarely talks about Bell without mentioning Landry. "But, to be quite honest with you, if I'm gonna throw the ball on fourth-and-a-half-yard, I'm gonna leave Landry in there to throw it. That isn't gonna change."
Good work, Bob. Now the defense knows it's going to be a run when Belldozer is in there on 4th and short! :shock:

I like it. They've got a run formation and they're going to use it. Stop it if you can!

'Christo said:

I like it. They've got a run formation and they're going to use it. Stop it if you can!
Yep, this guy does Tebow better than Tebow. I didn't see every Belldozer snap (though I certainly saw most of them) and I cannot recall one instance where he just got STUFFED or went backwards. Am I right about that?A kid his size, with his ability to handle the ball and run like a freight train, I see no reason why there won't be a package for him at the next level.

'Christo said:

Yep, this guy does Tebow better than Tebow. I didn't see every Belldozer snap (though I certainly saw most of them) and I cannot recall one instance where he just got STUFFED or went backwards. Am I right about that?A kid his size, with his ability to handle the ball and run like a freight train, I see no reason why there won't be a package for him at the next level.
They were letting him run plays at TE early in spring practice because of the lack of depth there.

'Christo said:

They were letting him run plays at TE early in spring practice because of the lack of depth there.
Weird. Your reply has nothing to do with what I wrote. Maybe you meant to quote something else.

'Christo said:

lol. I'm a big fan of Bell but you might wanna pump the brakes a little bit on that one.

'Christo said:

lol. I'm a big fan of Bell but you might wanna pump the brakes a little bit on that one.
Strictly as far as getting 3 yards when you need 3 yards, I mean. Nothing to do with throwing.

'Christo said:

Strictly as far as getting 3 yards when you need 3 yards, I mean. Nothing to do with throwing.
I'd love to see him develop that pull-up throw that Tebow used against us in the NCG. We all saw that play and realized that it wasn't defensible if executed properly.

If Landry was a baseball pitcher, he'd walk everyone on high fastballs.
:goodposting: again and again and again.
:goodposting:
I think this is overblown. Jones' relative weakness is certainly having the ball sail on him, but I don't think it happens inordinately. White threw some high balls, too. Bradford spoiled us. He threw about as good a deep out as one can throw. For the mortals, it's better to miss high and wide.

I think this is overblown. Jones' relative weakness is certainly having the ball sail on him, but I don't think it happens inordinately. White threw some high balls, too. Bradford spoiled us. He threw about as good a deep out as one can throw. For the mortals, it's better to miss high.
I don't think it is at all, he was downright terrible at times last year regardless of expectations or comparisons and the numbers back it up. I think he'll be much better in 2012 but a little more consistency will determine how far this team can go.

I think this is overblown. Jones' relative weakness is certainly having the ball sail on him, but I don't think it happens inordinately. White threw some high balls, too. Bradford spoiled us. He threw about as good a deep out as one can throw. For the mortals, it's better to miss high.
I don't think it is at all, he was downright terrible at times last year regardless of expectations or comparisons and the numbers back it up. I think he'll be much better in 2012 but a little more consistency will determine how far this team can go.
After Broyles went out, there wasn't a game in which there weren't at least six dropped balls.

@SoonerScoop - Coach Stoops: Quentin Hayes, Trey Franks, Kameel Jackson, Jaz Reynolds have been suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules.

WTF

It actually appears as though Trey Franks has been outright dismissed from the team.Jaz suspended 7 games.
Reading on twitter that the initial report on Franks was erroneous and that he is suspended indefinitely just like the rest of them. @SoonerScoop - Bob Stoops just drops the hammer on a Wednesday night. Franks dismissed report appears to be erroneous. Suspended indefinitely.Metoyer better be ready to go. Any way that kid from Fresno can skip that whole sitting out a year business?

Trey Franks situation is drugs, class and just being a negative debbie downer all the time who has been a cancer on this team since he has gotten here. He never made a play. Get the hell out. <br />

<br />

Kameel stopped going to class and was quoted asking for "Adidas" gear & turned into a Pre-Madonna who thought he was bigger than our historic program after his first solid spring.<br />

<br />

Jaz is school & drugs & is the most disappointing because he did make plays and this is his second major suspension. Most don't get in Bob's doghouse twice and get out. I'm sure his chances of not transferring out are very slim.<br />

<br />

As far as Gardner coming in it should be a Green Light.

Rumors from Soonerfans forum. OOF!

I guess we now know why Jackson said he was transferring earlier this week.

Screw them. Everything I saw from Spring said Metoyer was the best WR out there. So we go with Stills, Metoyer and Gardner at WR and run the crap out of the ball.

I guess we now know why Jackson said he was transferring earlier this week.Screw them. Everything I saw from Spring said Metoyer was the best WR out there. So we go with Stills, Metoyer and Gardner at WR and run the crap out of the ball.
It's just disconcerting to have one returning wr/te with a career reception. Franks and Jackson and the other guy, meh, but losing Reynolds is really going to hurt.

I guess we now know why Jackson said he was transferring earlier this week.Screw them. Everything I saw from Spring said Metoyer was the best WR out there. So we go with Stills, Metoyer and Gardner at WR and run the crap out of the ball.
You'd better hope nobody gets hurt.

I was really hoping for UofL just because I like their basketball team. OH well.

http://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/

The Dude of WV on WVU

The Dude abides. Truth seeker, philosopher, sPitt hater, and Mountaineer fan.

TUESDAY, MAY 15, 2012

Big 12 Expansion: The Quiet And The Storm

Clemson is the quiet one.

The decision has been made and they're Big 12 bound.

No drama at Clemson. Clemson's football staff have been notified of an impending move and they're fine with it.

If you want drama look to Tallahassee.

FSU's Board of Trustees have butted heads with the president and made their desire to exit the ACC known.

Make no mistake, Florida State wants to move, but President Eric Barron has found it very difficult to pull the trigger.

He likes the ACC, he really does. He likes being in the same conference as North Carolina and Duke (for academic reasons). He is concerned how FSU's faculty would react to move and wants them to understand that academics are a priority at FSU.

What he doesn't like is the pitiful TV contract the ACC managed to beg from ESPN.

Both Eric Barron and the Board of Trustees understand that the ACC, going forward, puts FSU at a distinct competitive disadvantage.

If you don't believe that consider that FSU will be playing for one of four playoff spots.

FSU, and schools throughout the nation, must decide if they want to contend for one of those four playoff spots and be willing to spend the money necessary to compete.

Florida State has resources and a giant athletic department budget, but so do Alabama, LSU, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma and the ramifications for FSU's continued membership in the ACC are profound.

Their peers will be receiving significantly more in television revenues each and every year. And that's why the Board of Trustees at FSU will force Barron's hand and FSU will join Clemson as new members of the Big 12.

The deal is done.

Some notes:

The Big 12 contract maybe as much as $25 million per school and fully vested by year 3.

The Contract has an automatic clause triggering renegotiation with the addition of a #13th member.

ESPN and Fox have the advised Big 12 on who to add and further expansion (beyond 12) depends on value and who's available.

If the right "value-added" teams are not available the Big 12 will not expand.

Miami has said no. Their president plans to reduce the investment in football and worries about NCAA violations.

Georgia Tech is now a serious candidate for 13 and talks are progressing.

Louisville and Cincinnati are no longer under consideration.

Really? Damn that is surprising. I'll believe it when I see it.

Is that just some random blogger? Does he have any idea what he's talking about?

Really? Damn that is surprising. I'll believe it when I see it.Is that just some random blogger? Does he have any idea what he's talking about?
I don't see why it would be surprising. If FSU leaves Clemson and Miami are sure to follow and the Big 12 makes sense for at least one, if not both. It is entirely possible that Clemson is doing a preemptive strike, but then again this may all be posturing and media manipulation. Who knows, more interesting times ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread