What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (2 Viewers)

Really? Damn that is surprising. I'll believe it when I see it.Is that just some random blogger? Does he have any idea what he's talking about?
I don't see why it would be surprising. If FSU leaves Clemson and Miami are sure to follow and the Big 12 makes sense for at least one, if not both. It is entirely possible that Clemson is doing a preemptive strike, but then again this may all be posturing and media manipulation. Who knows, more interesting times ahead.
I don't think Florida St. is going anywhere. There's no way this is as far along as that article suggests.

Don't count on Jaz Reynolds, Trey Franks or Quentin Hayes making any plays for Oklahoma this fall. The Sooners football program is moving on without them.

Coach Bob Stoops spoke on the standing of the three suspended Sooners during OU's caravan in Tulsa on Wednesday night. Reynolds, Franks and Hayes were indefinitely suspended on May 20.

"There's no update," Stoops said when asked about the suspensions of Reynolds, Franks and Hayes. "(They) have been removed from scholarship and we aren't counting on any of them.

"We'll keep moving forward. This program doesn't bank on any one individual player; we've recruited a lot of really good players so we'll keep moving on."

Stoops bristled at the notion that he's starting to clamp down on the overall behavior in the program.

"There isn't any clamping down," he said. "I've always clamped down, I believe. I think it's fair to say over 13, 14 years, our track record has been pretty similar. We stick to our team policies and university policies and we don't waver. You either abide by them or you don't."

Stoops didn't completely rule out a return by any of the three players, saying, "What happens? We'll see."

All three players remain on the Sooners' online roster, but the veteran coach said he doesn't expect them to be in summer school at OU.

Highlighted by big plays yet marred by suspensions, Reynolds has had an up-and-down career at OU. The junior receiver was suspended twice in 2010, including once after he made insensitive comments on Twitter after a campus shooting at the University of Texas. Reynolds also was suspended for the Iowa State game last season.

Reynolds had the best season of his career in 2011 with 41 receptions for 715 yards and five touchdowns. He started six of 10 games before a kidney injury against Oklahoma State ended his season.

Franks, a junior receiver, has run into behavior issues of his own prior to his indefinite suspension. He was suspended for two games last season for multiple violations of team rules and finished with 22 catches for 196 yards.

Hayes saw limited action as a backup safety in 2011 but drew praise during the spring for his play and was expected to provide depth in the secondary this fall.

Receiver Kameel Jackson also was suspended May 20, but his situation is different from the other three players and he remains on scholarship despite tweeting that he planned to transfer from OU in early May.

"He's not in the same position," Stoops said.

Stoops = hard but fair

I ran into an old friend yesterday that really knows OU football and is not prone to hyperbole, in my experience. He told me that Metoyer will be the best receiver we've ever had and by a fair margin.

Obviously, massive grains of salt are in order, but I was sporting a semi by the end of the conversation.

I ran into an old friend yesterday that really knows OU football and is not prone to hyperbole, in my experience. He told me that Metoyer will be the best receiver we've ever had and by a fair margin.Obviously, massive grains of salt are in order, but I was sporting a semi by the end of the conversation.
Just considering talent, he's probably the top guy they've ever brought in. Hard to think anyone can do what Broyles did, but if Metoyer comes close it will be an awesome ride.

I ran into an old friend yesterday that really knows OU football and is not prone to hyperbole, in my experience. He told me that Metoyer will be the best receiver we've ever had and by a fair margin.Obviously, massive grains of salt are in order, but I was sporting a semi by the end of the conversation.
Just considering talent, he's probably the top guy they've ever brought in. Hard to think anyone can do what Broyles did, but if Metoyer comes close it will be an awesome ride.
To this point, I still say Mark Clayton was our best.

Neighbor told me that several players did not travel with the team to El Paso? I don't know why unless Stoops is trying to run a tight ship again. Rumors and grumblings about players not feeling appreciated? Same ol crap different year. I hope that the game plan was pretty basic and we are going to see a much better team this weekend.

Neighbor told me that several players did not travel with the team to El Paso? I don't know why unless Stoops is trying to run a tight ship again. Rumors and grumblings about players not feeling appreciated? Same ol crap different year. I hope that the game plan was pretty basic and we are going to see a much better team this weekend.
13 scholarship players did not travel due to injury and suspension.It's going to be a long season.

I missed the game, but something has me confused. The media keeps saying that the defense didn't look good... didn't they get a shutout since the TD was on a blocked punt?

13 scholarship players did not travel due to injury and suspension.It's going to be a long season.
Still lotsa questions...

I missed the game, but something has me confused. The media keeps saying that the defense didn't look good... didn't they get a shutout since the TD was on a blocked punt?
Shut out yes, but it was UTEP. Also, the defense gave up a ton of yards on running plays. I believe the starting RB for UTEP had around 175 yards rushing.

They gave up over 200 yards rushing right up the gut to a team that went 5-7, 6-7, 4-8, 5-7 & 4-8 the last 5 years in C-USA. If UTEP had just run every down I have no doubt they'd have scored.

This marks the 383rd week that OU has been ranked in the Top 5 of the AP Poll, more weeks than any other team since the service began in 1936. In fact, Oklahoma is the most illustrious program in the poll's history with the most weeks at No. 1 (101), in the Top 2 (199) and in the Top 10 (534).

This marks the 383rd week that OU has been ranked in the Top 5 of the AP Poll, more weeks than any other team since the service began in 1936. In fact, Oklahoma is the most illustrious program in the poll's history with the most weeks at No. 1 (101), in the Top 2 (199) and in the Top 10 (534).
That's cool and all, but there's a much more valid way to keep score: national championships.

In two games, Belldozer has 8 rushes for 5 yards and 0 TDs. (And just 4 of 5 passing).

Why has he been so invisible? Simply because they haven't needed him?

In two games, Belldozer has 8 rushes for 5 yards and 0 TDs. (And just 4 of 5 passing).Why has he been so invisible? Simply because they haven't needed him?
Oklahoma football: Could addition of Damien Williams supersede need for the Belldozer?OU FOOTBALL — Oklahoma running back Damien Williams, and his ability to be the Sooners' physical presence in the red zone, could nullify the need for Blake Bell's Belldozer.By Jason Kersey | Published: September 17, 2012 2NORMAN — Last month during the preseason, Bob Stoops was asked if coaches were adding any new wrinkles to the short-yardage “Belldozer” package.“Oh, absolutely,” Stoops said. “A bunch of them. ... We'll hold them; there's no sense in revealing anything too soon if you don't have to.”If current trends continue into next week's Big 12 Conference opener against Kansas State and beyond, those wrinkles may remain secrets.Through two games, Oklahoma has converted all 10 of its red zone opportunities into touchdowns, and not one of them has been on a Blake Bell run.The addition of powerful running back Damien Williams, a junior-college transfer who scored three red zone touchdowns last week, raises the question: Are the Sooners less reliant on the Belldozer than they were a year ago?“I think there's no question,” said co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell. “I think we're more physical at the running back position. ... I don't think there's any question that having Damien emerge as a powerful back has helped us in that area.”Sophomore guard Adam Shead said it doesn't matter to him whether OU uses the Belldozer or not.“As long as we're getting the job done, it doesn't matter,” Shead said. “Whether we're using Damien or Blake, as long as we're getting first downs and scoring touchdowns, that's all that matters.”But James Patton, the OU assistant coach in charge of centers and guards, still considers the Belldozer an important option for the Sooner offense.“We're gonna need that package,” Patton said. “We can do it in the middle of the field.“We've got a lot of variations of it, but it all comes down to what you can execute.”

Yet another year of Landry Jones high passes. oof.

I like these JUCO transfer RBs, let's see what the defense is all about.

ETA: Harris and Jefferson are the best safety tandem in a long time. Defense isn't physical enough up front though which is worrisome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am convinced this thread is horrible luck, but that doesn't change the fact that Landry Jones was better as a sophomore than he has been the past two years. They get no pressure on the QB, they make too many mistakes on offense and the special teams are questionable. The back seven on defense is good and Metoyer is gonna be awesome.

ETA: and it strikes again. SHIZNITT the Vince Young/Longhorns fan keeps bumping this thing and it keeps happening. Officially done with this one now. :bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Raider Nation said:
Have the diehards gotten fed up with Stoops yet or does he get a free pass for awhile?
The diehard fans are fed up! The problem is that we get the excuses "Who else can we get who is better?" "Stoops isn't on the field, the players have to make the plays!" I don't think any "diehard fan" actually thought OU was a championship caliber team this year after watching their first two games. I think they are a top 20 team, and most college football fans would love to have a team like this, but it just doesn't cut it in Oklahoma. What can a fan do? We sit and watch this type of play year in and year out. It is what it is.

'Raider Nation said:
Have the diehards gotten fed up with Stoops yet or does he get a free pass for awhile?
Ever since we we got Tebowed in nat'l championship, ive felt that Stoops was missing something. Dude needs a wake up call. Offense was disgusting last night, def held on as long as they could. Landry should be benched!

'Raider Nation said:
The diehard fans are fed up! The problem is that we get the excuses "Who else can we get who is better?" "Stoops isn't on the field, the players have to make the plays!" I don't think any "diehard fan" actually thought OU was a championship caliber team this year after watching their first two games. I think they are a top 20 team, and most college football fans would love to have a team like this, but it just doesn't cut it in Oklahoma. What can a fan do? We sit and watch this type of play year in and year out. It is what it is.
Anyone who follows the team knew this was going to be a tough season before it started. Suspending 3 of your top 4 WRs and losing two starting and one backup OLs was going to be hard to overcome. But what kills me is the inconsistency, mental mistakes and lack of heart. That isn't new. It was happening last year as well. OU has the skill to play with the best teams in the country. They don't have the toughness--mental or physical. I think this stems from the change in the type of players they recruit. OU players used to be nasty. Now they've got a bunch of pretty boys from Cali who like to color their hair and wear dresses. Sure, they can look great playing Florida A&M, but when they run into a team that smacks them in the mouth like UTEP and KSU did this year and TTech, Baylor and OSU did last year they don't know how to react.I have no doubt I'd rather have Collin Klein or Arthur Brown backing me up in a bar fight than Landry Jones or Tom Wort.

Even outside of Landry, the biggest glaring weakness we had was the complete and total lack of a pass rush.

How do you give Collin Klein more than 6 seconds to throw when rushing FIVE guys on third and more than 10? Seriously? 3+ conversions from that distance last night.

We actually had a couple plays where we dropped ten into coverage, and we got the exact same strength pass rush with one guy coming off the edge. Just sad. May be the first season I start selling some of my tickets. That was worse than the Tech game...which I was also at.

I am convinced this thread is horrible luck, but that doesn't change the fact that Landry Jones was better as a sophomore than he has been the past two years. They get no pressure on the QB, they make too many mistakes on offense and the special teams are questionable. The back seven on defense is good and Metoyer is gonna be awesome.

ETA: and it strikes again. SHIZNITT the Vince Young/Longhorns fan keeps bumping this thing and it keeps happening. Officially done with this one now. :bye:
:bye:

:bye:
Longhorns still unbeaten. :thumbup:

Working/living in the heart of OU country (not an OU/OSU fan, BTW) I expected at least one skirmish when one of my female engineers showed up in all purple.

Instead I heard more complaints about Stoops. Is the godlen boy losing the fan base?

Working/living in the heart of OU country (not an OU/OSU fan, BTW) I expected at least one skirmish when one of my female engineers showed up in all purple.Instead I heard more complaints about Stoops. Is the godlen boy losing the fan base?
I dunno, I really doubt it. I'm not in OK anymore so I don't get to listen to the lunatic fringe every day on the sports animal but I would be disappointed if that was the case. Not really sure how you can blame Stoops for those turnovers or for the lineman on both sides just not being very good.

Working/living in the heart of OU country (not an OU/OSU fan, BTW) I expected at least one skirmish when one of my female engineers showed up in all purple.

Instead I heard more complaints about Stoops. Is the godlen boy losing the fan base?
I dunno, I really doubt it. I'm not in OK anymore so I don't get to listen to the lunatic fringe every day on the sports animal but I would be disappointed if that was the case. Not really sure how you can blame Stoops for those turnovers or for the lineman on both sides just not being very good.
That would be recruiting, wouldn't it?

To a degree, sure. Can't forget about the injuries on the offensive side though. On defense, I don't think McFarland has developed into the impact player that everyone thought he would be coming out of high school. If a highly recruited kid doesn't develop I guess that could come down to coaching so I dunno. I just don't get the impression that OU is a poorly coached team when I watch them play but I'm certainly no expert. I think the red zone fumbles (both ends) were the difference in the game and I don't think that can be chalked up to bad coaching. What do you think?I would like to see us maybe slow down a little bit on offense. I don't think it suits Landry well, and the offense just isn't as efficient as it used to be. When you're moving the ball easily it's nice because it constantly puts pressure on the opposing defense but when you're struggling it puts undue strain on your defense. Also, let Williams lineup behind the QB and run downhill. He had a long run negated by holding on one of the few carries he got out of the pistol, I'd like to see more of that.

Is takitoki still around? Would love to read your thoughts if so.

To a degree, sure. Can't forget about the injuries on the offensive side though. On defense, I don't think McFarland has developed into the impact player that everyone thought he would be coming out of high school. If a highly recruited kid doesn't develop I guess that could come down to coaching so I dunno. I just don't get the impression that OU is a poorly coached team when I watch them play but I'm certainly no expert. I think the red zone fumbles (both ends) were the difference in the game and I don't think that can be chalked up to bad coaching. What do you think?I would like to see us maybe slow down a little bit on offense. I don't think it suits Landry well, and the offense just isn't as efficient as it used to be. When you're moving the ball easily it's nice because it constantly puts pressure on the opposing defense but when you're struggling it puts undue strain on your defense. Also, let Williams lineup behind the QB and run downhill. He had a long run negated by holding on one of the few carries he got out of the pistol, I'd like to see more of that.

Like I said earlier, I think it comes down to one thing--the shift in focus for recruiting. Instead of concentrating on guys who bleed crimson and/or despise burnt orange, Stoops has become infatuated with the pretty boys from Cali and Florida. Guys who think they are doing the program a favor by coming to Norman. You can win a NC with kids from Tulsa/OKC/Dallas/Houston and the odd gem from Aberdeen, SD.

Like I said earlier, I think it comes down to one thing--the shift in focus for recruiting. Instead of concentrating on guys who bleed crimson and/or despise burnt orange, Stoops has become infatuated with the pretty boys from Cali and Florida. Guys who think they are doing the program a favor by coming to Norman. You can win a NC with kids from Tulsa/OKC/Dallas/Houston and the odd gem from Aberdeen, SD.
The current college landscape begs you to concentrate of defense and I think Stoops to some degree has not captured that strength like the program can. I think having an offense that can come from behind in the Big XII is critical but they can accomplish that with a pro-style set that has timing routes. Run the ball, play action passing and get a guy that can throw deep routes to employ the speed OU recruits at WR. I think when you go to Florida and California you get the speed you need for the edges and secondary and you can pretty much get everything else in Oklahoma and Texas. Depth on the defensive line has been an issue in the recent past and that just doesn't work in any style of football. I agree with Moe in that the point per minute offense puts way too much strain on the defense and shock and awe only goes so far IMO. It almost went the distance in 2008, and that Florida game still bothers me, but it has failed the team to one degree or another since.

An example is this K-State game where you have an opportunity to crush the opponent with your size and wear them down to where you then can use superior speed to hit the long plays and put the game out of reach. Mistakes really did give that game away and K-State really is a good team, but they do not have the athletes OU has so I find it somewhat unacceptable to lose at home to that team. I mean that is the same team OU beat by 40 last year up there.

As far as Landry the guy doesn't have any confidence so you need to slow it down. I think he's a QB with all the skills but he has not evolved into a great college QB and a lot of that goes to the failure of coaching. Still, Stoops by any measure is one of the best in the business and he'd be scooped up immediately by another program if OU cut ties which I can't see happening. He runs a clean program, self reports, is accountable and puts a great product on the field pretty much every year. I mean just put his record against anyone's over the past 15 years, only Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have had more success IMO.

Working/living in the heart of OU country (not an OU/OSU fan, BTW) I expected at least one skirmish when one of my female engineers showed up in all purple.Instead I heard more complaints about Stoops. Is the godlen boy losing the fan base?
Every game the Sooners lose the radio is full of people wanting to fire Stoops. I think it all started with the back to back loses to OSU. Stoops also has a bad reputation of losing big games, or not getting his players ready for big games. It is what it is...who else are the Sooners going to get if they were to let him go?

Every game the Sooners lose the radio is full of people wanting to fire Stoops. I think it all started with the back to back loses to OSU. Stoops also has a bad reputation of losing big games, or not getting his players ready for big games. It is what it is...who else are the Sooners going to get if they were to let him go?
44-20 vs ranked teams8-5 vs Texas10-3 vs Okie State78-4 at home7-6 in bowl games7-1 in Big XII Championship gamesLosing three National Championship games especially to those USC and Florida teams who were loaded, isn't the be all end all. Put that record up against anyone in the country and he comes out looking like a top five coach at worst.

44-20 vs ranked teams8-5 vs Texas10-3 vs Okie State78-4 at home7-6 in bowl games7-1 in Big XII Championship gamesLosing three National Championship games especially to those USC and Florida teams who were loaded, isn't the be all end all. Put that record up against anyone in the country and he comes out looking like a top five coach at worst.
Definitely. But it doesn't mean he can't improve.

Users who are viewing this thread