What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (1 Viewer)

But OU fans are not optimistic. The average OU fan right now expects OU to be whipped by Texas Tech and OSU. The fans aren't so much optimistic as they are malleable and reactionary. If OU has some problems against Nebraska and Texas A&M in the next two weeks, many fans will claim that the team will be lucky to stay within three TDs of Texas Tech. But if OU rolls easily in the next two weeks, many fans will expect to beat Tech by 40.
Yeah I can agree with that.

a win is a win on the road i guess but @osu is going to be a nightmare if the defense doesnt improve. may even struggle to beat tech at home, although they usually do not do well in norman. rest of the season should be very interesting, if ou can win out ill be surprised if they arent in the nc game. do not like our chances in stillwater at this point.
I was talking to the Texas fans during the OU/UT game and I said if OU won that game their biggest hurdle was @ Stillwater for the remainder of the season and they laughed. I didn't expect them to beat Mizzou but I knew they were better than most people thought. Someone has to finish 4th in the Big 12 South, it's gonna be interesting because that team will be 9-3 at worst.
Apparently, Texas fans are pretty stupid when it comes to Oklahoma State. I hear a lot of blowout talk this week.
The radio guys here did a real nice job this week with OSU. For the OU game it was complete homerism but I thought this week they gave OSU their credit and discussed why they were a tough opponent. Thing about Texas and OU fans that I've noticed being introduced from the outside, is that they both think they'll win every single game regardless of who they are playing. No pessimism in sight which is weird for me having grown up around Michigan where the sky is falling and if it isn't, it will. This is why coaching down here is tougher especially when the hillbillies with bank start getting involved. These coaches and administrators must be constantly bombarded with stupidity.
I think you're partially right and partially wrong. You are 100% correct in saying that the coaches and administrators are constantly bombarded with stupidity. The OU fanbase is ready to hang Brent Venables. The fanbase has hung Chuck Long and Mark Mangino in effigy, in the past. There always must be a whipping boy that is root of all evil.But OU fans are not optimistic. The average OU fan right now expects OU to be whipped by Texas Tech and OSU. The fans aren't so much optimistic as they are malleable and reactionary. If OU has some problems against Nebraska and Texas A&M in the next two weeks, many fans will claim that the team will be lucky to stay within three TDs of Texas Tech. But if OU rolls easily in the next two weeks, many fans will expect to beat Tech by 40.
we wanted to run chuck long out of here on a rail. most people i know were happy to see him go. i don't remember mangino being much of a whipping boy.i don't hear near as much "get rid of venables" talk this year as i have in the past couple of years. i think people are just kind of used to being disappointed by the defense. we're all hoping brother mike (stoops) gets fired so he can come back and be the d-coordinator. that's back when we were dominating and intimidating on defense.i haven't even thought about tech. i'm just so terrified of losing to the aggies in stillwater. but i've pretty much accepted the fact that they're going to dominate us. because we're so arrogant and stubborn on the coaching staff. we'll try to cover dez bryant in single coverage. he'll torch us for about 300 and 6 scores. just like roshaun woods did. and we'll never get out of the 4-3 defense, no matter how bad our linebackers are in coverage. something's got to give.

63-21 in the third qtr but Nebraska has been pretty sloppy. Still fun to watch Bradford move back to the Heisman favorite though, what a talent he is.

But OU fans are not optimistic. The average OU fan right now expects OU to be whipped by Texas Tech and OSU. The fans aren't so much optimistic as they are malleable and reactionary. If OU has some problems against Nebraska and Texas A&M in the next two weeks, many fans will claim that the team will be lucky to stay within three TDs of Texas Tech. But if OU rolls easily in the next two weeks, many fans will expect to beat Tech by 40.
you said in another thread that ou fans expect to win every game. make up your mind.

a win is a win on the road i guess but @osu is going to be a nightmare if the defense doesnt improve. may even struggle to beat tech at home, although they usually do not do well in norman. rest of the season should be very interesting, if ou can win out ill be surprised if they arent in the nc game. do not like our chances in stillwater at this point.
I was talking to the Texas fans during the OU/UT game and I said if OU won that game their biggest hurdle was @ Stillwater for the remainder of the season and they laughed. I didn't expect them to beat Mizzou but I knew they were better than most people thought. Someone has to finish 4th in the Big 12 South, it's gonna be interesting because that team will be 9-3 at worst.
Apparently, Texas fans are pretty stupid when it comes to Oklahoma State. I hear a lot of blowout talk this week.
The radio guys here did a real nice job this week with OSU. For the OU game it was complete homerism but I thought this week they gave OSU their credit and discussed why they were a tough opponent. Thing about Texas and OU fans that I've noticed being introduced from the outside, is that they both think they'll win every single game regardless of who they are playing. No pessimism in sight which is weird for me having grown up around Michigan where the sky is falling and if it isn't, it will. This is why coaching down here is tougher especially when the hillbillies with bank start getting involved. These coaches and administrators must be constantly bombarded with stupidity.
I think you're partially right and partially wrong. You are 100% correct in saying that the coaches and administrators are constantly bombarded with stupidity. The OU fanbase is ready to hang Brent Venables. The fanbase has hung ... Mark Mangino in effigy, in the past. There always must be a whipping boy that is root of all evil.But OU fans are not optimistic. The average OU fan right now expects OU to be whipped by Texas Tech and OSU. The fans aren't so much optimistic as they are malleable and reactionary. If OU has some problems against Nebraska and Texas A&M in the next two weeks, many fans will claim that the team will be lucky to stay within three TDs of Texas Tech. But if OU rolls easily in the next two weeks, many fans will expect to beat Tech by 40.
this is not true at all. in his three years as offensive coordinator, he won two bcs games (one being nc) and the cotton bowl. two conference titles. undefeated against texas. the middle season wasnt the best offensively but that was not his fault, and i dont remember a lot or any criticism going his way. everyone thought/knew that mangino deserved a chance to be a head coach, but i dont remember anybody being glad he was gone. i disagree with most of your second paragraph. how exactly are you arriving at these conclusions?

I think you're partially right and partially wrong. You are 100% correct in saying that the coaches and administrators are constantly bombarded with stupidity. The OU fanbase is ready to hang Brent Venables. The fanbase has hung ... Mark Mangino in effigy, in the past. There always must be a whipping boy that is root of all evil.But OU fans are not optimistic. The average OU fan right now expects OU to be whipped by Texas Tech and OSU. The fans aren't so much optimistic as they are malleable and reactionary. If OU has some problems against Nebraska and Texas A&M in the next two weeks, many fans will claim that the team will be lucky to stay within three TDs of Texas Tech. But if OU rolls easily in the next two weeks, many fans will expect to beat Tech by 40.
this is not true at all. in his three years as offensive coordinator, he won two bcs games (one being nc) and the cotton bowl. two conference titles. undefeated against texas. the middle season wasnt the best offensively but that was not his fault, and i dont remember a lot or any criticism going his way. everyone thought/knew that mangino deserved a chance to be a head coach, but i dont remember anybody being glad he was gone. i disagree with most of your second paragraph. how exactly are you arriving at these conclusions?
Must be a Poke.

you said in another thread that ou fans expect to win every game. make up your mind.
Pretty sure I said it in this thread. I'm not gonna make up my mind until 2010 on this, I'll let you know what I find then.

Fans complained quite a bit about Mangino in 2001. I shouldn't have put the griping in the same category as the griping about Long, but it was pretty rough. They said that all he did was call short passes in the flats and didn't try to establish the running game. People claimed we needed to throw the ball down the field and find a way to run the ball. They were also griping about Quentin Griffiin and wanted to see more of Renaldo Works. He never really got much credit for 2000, as most of the praise was given to Mike Leach for putting the system in place.This year has just been all over the place, insofar as fan reaction. Early in the year, we were on a surefire collision course with USC for the title. After the Kansas and Kansas State games, the OU boards and local talk radio shows were absolutely melting down, and people were calling for Venables' head left and right. They say that the only reason he has a job is because he is "Bob's friend" (same thing they said about Long)

I am a huge OU fan and have been following the program closely since the early '80s. OU fans live and die with each game. They get crazily optimistic and insanely angry. Fans and the local newspaper were calling for Switzer's head after three consecutive four-loss seasons (and well before all the big off-the-field problems).

I've lived in Oklahoma virtually my whole life, and the fanbase is pretty crazy. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and I'm not saying that every fan fits this description. But a reasonable number of them do. I'd imagine it's not all that different from places like Nebraska and Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fans complained quite a bit about Mangino in 2001. I shouldn't have put the griping in the same category as the griping about Long, but it was pretty rough. They said that all he did was call short passes in the flats and didn't try to establish the running game. People claimed we needed to throw the ball down the field and find a way to run the ball. They were also griping about Quentin Griffiin and wanted to see more of Renaldo Works. He never really got much credit for 2000, as most of the praise was given to Mike Leach for putting the system in place.This year has just been all over the place, insofar as fan reaction. Early in the year, we were on a surefire collision course with USC for the title. After the Kansas and Kansas State games, the OU boards and local talk radio shows were absolutely melting down, and people were calling for Venables' head left and right. They say that the only reason he has a job is because he is "Bob's friend" (same thing they said about Long)

I am a huge OU fan and have been following the program closely since the early '80s. OU fans live and die with each game. They get crazily optimistic and insanely angry. Fans and the local newspaper were calling for Switzer's head after three consecutive four-loss seasons (and well before all the big off-the-field problems).

I've lived in Oklahoma virtually my whole life, and the fanbase is pretty crazy. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and I'm not saying that every fan fits this description. But a reasonable number of them do. I'd imagine it's not all that different from places like Nebraska and Alabama.
i have lived in oklahoma my entire life as well. where are you from? i still disagree about mangino, but my memory may not be as good as yours. i was never a big hybl fan, the offense overall just wasnt great in 01, i never blamed that on mangino. hopefully you dont base your average fan on the guy who calls into the sports animal; the people who call into sports radio stations are the bottom 10% of the fanbase, and a guy like traeber is going to do nothing but encourage the idiocy. i listen to a TON of sports radio, and i dont even really tune into traeber and eschbach anymore. im young (23) and have been a student here since 03 (i seriously need to graduate), so maybe the people i interact with represent a different cross segment of the fanbase or something. if anyone told you before we played texas or anyone this season that we were on a collision course for anything i think you can write them off right there as an idiot. the venables criticism has been over the top, but in a lot of cases it is deserved. maybe i just try to avoid the type of person you are talking about (crazy optimistic, angry, irrational, etc), but all of my friends/family are reasonable fans, and so are most of the random sooner fans i interact with on a daily basis. so now that weve rolled neb and atm well see if your predictions come true with regards to ou fans and expectations about tech. i think most people (fans and media members) will predict an ou victory. for the record i think we will beat them but probably lose to osu.

-6.5? Really? So, sooner fan? Are you taking the points or giving them? Haven't seen word one from you guy's about this weekend, so whaddya got? Is playing at home enough to get the W? Is Bradford better than Harrell? Is Leach as good as Stoops? What could Leach do with that talent?

I'm picking Tech to come from behind and win this thing 31 - 28.

-6.5? Really? So, sooner fan? Are you taking the points or giving them? Haven't seen word one from you guy's about this weekend, so whaddya got? Is playing at home enough to get the W? Is Bradford better than Harrell? Is Leach as good as Stoops? What could Leach do with that talent?I'm picking Tech to come from behind and win this thing 31 - 28.
with a handle like that you're telling me that you aren't a sooner? for shame. i think ou will win 112-9.

-6.5? Really? So, sooner fan? Are you taking the points or giving them? Haven't seen word one from you guy's about this weekend, so whaddya got? Is playing at home enough to get the W? Is Bradford better than Harrell? Is Leach as good as Stoops? What could Leach do with that talent?

I'm picking Tech to come from behind and win this thing 31 - 28.
with a handle like that you're telling me that you aren't a sooner? for shame. i think ou will win 112-9.
you were close, what an impressive win.Bedlam anyone? I'm a little :goodposting: but OU will not let OSU sneak up on them which is a good thing. If OU doesn't pass Florida and aren't about even with Texas I'm gonna be :thumbup:

Just as Oklahoma State is very proud of its dominance over Oklahoma in the wrestling series, Oklahoma too is proud of its dominance over Oklahoma State in the football series. Oklahoma currently leads the series 78-16-7.
Code:
2007	  11/24   Norman	 10-NR	 OU		 49-17	85,2382006	  11/25 Stillwater   13-NR	 OU		 27-21	42,8192005	  11/26   Norman	 NR-NR	 OU		 42-14	84,8752004	  10/30 Stillwater   2-20	  OU		 38-35	48,8372003	  11/1	Norman	 1-14	  OU		 52-9	 84,0272002	  11/30 Stillwater   3-NR	  OSU		28-38	48,5002001	  11/24   Norman	 4-NR	  OSU		13-16	75,5372000	  11/25 Stillwater   1-NR	  OU		 12-7	 48,5001999	  11/27   Norman	NR-NR	  OU		 44-7	 75,3741998	  10/24 Stillwater  NR-NR	  OSU		26-41	50,6141997	  11/8	Norman	NR-25	  OSU		 7-30	72,4221996	  11/9  Stillwater  NR-NR	  OU		 27-17	51,4161995	  11/11   Norman	NR-NR	  OSU		 0-12	75,0041994	  11/13 Stillwater  NR-NR	  OU		 33-14	50,1161993	  11/13   Norman	17-NR	  OU		 31-0	 65,2751992	  11/14 Stillwater  NR-NR	  TIE		15-15	50,4401991	  11/16   Norman	18-NR	  OU		 21-6	 68,7781990	  10/6  Stillwater   7-NR	  OU		 31-17	49,8001989	  10/7	Norman	16-NR	  OU		 37-15	74,6101988	  11/5  Stillwater   8-12	  OU		 31-28	50,440
:coffee:

1 Alabama 11-0 .987

2 Texas 10-1 .921

3 Oklahoma 10-1 .912

4 Florida 10-1 2 .875

I wonder if OU can jump above Texas even with a win at Oklahoma State? Will it be enough to make up the .09 in the BCS? I didn't want OU to win if they were not able to go to the NC game.

1 Alabama 11-0 .987 2 Texas 10-1 .9213 Oklahoma 10-1 .912 4 Florida 10-1 2 .875 I wonder if OU can jump above Texas even with a win at Oklahoma State? Will it be enough to make up the .09 in the BCS? I didn't want OU to win if they were not able to go to the NC game.
Yes. Absolutely. And apparently Florida may still have a role to play in the Big XII championship game by either losing to Florida State (thus allowing to Texas to pick up votes), beating Florida State as expected (meaning that OU jumps Texas with a win over OSU), or completely blowing out Florida State (possibly taking votes away from Oklahoma dependent upon the results of Bedlam).Good times.

1 Alabama 11-0 .987 2 Texas 10-1 .9213 Oklahoma 10-1 .912 4 Florida 10-1 2 .875 I wonder if OU can jump above Texas even with a win at Oklahoma State? Will it be enough to make up the .09 in the BCS? I didn't want OU to win if they were not able to go to the NC game.
It's .009. If the human polls stay the same, I think the computers make up that difference with the change in OU's and UT's respective SOS alone.Actually, OU has two differents routes to the NC game. Beat OSU, gain those .009 points and defeat Mizzou in the Big 12 championship and they're definitely in. Or beat OSU, not make up the .009 points but have UT lose to Mizzou in the Big 12 championship and they're probably in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christo said:
It's .009. If the human polls stay the same, I think the computers make up that difference with the change in OU's and UT's respective SOS alone.Actually, OU has two differents routes to the NC game. Beat OSU, gain those .009 points and defeat Mizzou in the Big 12 championship and they're definitely in. Or beat OSU, not make up the .009 points but have UT lose to Mizzou in the Big 12 championship and they're probably in.
Oops sorry about the misplaced decimal. It is .009, and at least one of the teams from the Big 12 will be representing in the NC game this year...I hope.

Christo said:
1 Alabama 11-0 .987

2 Texas 10-1 .921

3 Oklahoma 10-1 .912

4 Florida 10-1 2 .875

I wonder if OU can jump above Texas even with a win at Oklahoma State? Will it be enough to make up the .09 in the BCS? I didn't want OU to win if they were not able to go to the NC game.
They would need Baylor to win in Lubbock then also.

Christo said:
1 Alabama 11-0 .987

2 Texas 10-1 .921

3 Oklahoma 10-1 .912

4 Florida 10-1 2 .875

Why?

Christo said:
1 Alabama 11-0 .987

2 Texas 10-1 .921

3 Oklahoma 10-1 .912

4 Florida 10-1 2 .875

Why?
Hell if I know. Sounded right when I wrote that.

just seeing the scoreline in that 2001 game makes me sick.
As an Auburn grad, the 2004 scoreline makes me sick. I still remember the tying OSU FG attempt just missing. I keep hoping one day enough people get screwed over that playoffs become a reality. I think that they will, but it is a tough pill to swallow to not lose a single game in a BCS conference and still not get a shot. I do believe USC was the best team, but it's tough to never know for sure.

As an Auburn grad, the 2004 scoreline makes me sick. I still remember the tying OSU FG attempt just missing. I keep hoping one day enough people get screwed over that playoffs become a reality. I think that they will, but it is a tough pill to swallow to not lose a single game in a BCS conference and still not get a shot. I do believe USC was the best team, but it's tough to never know for sure.
yeah, that was a quirky year to be sure. to be fair though just about everybody in the country had usc and ou 1 & 2 in '04. i think it is no coincidence that ou gets the benefit of the doubt in these situations, castiglione sure knows how to put together a schedule.

yeah, that was a quirky year to be sure. to be fair though just about everybody in the country had usc and ou 1 & 2 in '04. i think it is no coincidence that ou gets the benefit of the doubt in these situations, castiglione sure knows how to put together a schedule.
I agree. I have nothing against Oklahoma, and didn't then either. It would have been a travesty no matter which of those undefeated teams were left out. The real joke is the system that allows that situation to occur. There was talk in 2004 that Auburn would have had a shot to pass OU had they filled their date where they had a cancelled game with Fresno St (who had an opening on the same date) rather than a 1-AA team. Pat Hill claims he tried to get a game at Auburn on that date. In 2004, Fresno St. had a 9-3 record and would have been at least a respectable non-conference win. While it may have helped in the computers slightly, I still don't think they would have overcome Oklahoma because as was stated earlier, USC and OU were 1-2 the whole way.

lsu 21-14, usc 55-19, boise st. 43-42, wv 48-28no one wants to see another blowout

lsu 21-14, usc 55-19, boise st. 43-42, wv 48-28no one wants to see another blowout
seriously, why would you automatically be so antagonistic? what kind of a person are you?

seriously, why would you automatically be so antagonistic? what kind of a person are you?
stoops pc at 5 et per espnnewsgrow a sac

stoops pc at 5 et per espnnewsgrow a sac
not offended or anything, just dont understand people like you. have a good one.

OU will REPRESENT THE BIG 12! WOOHOO

Oklahoma leapfrogged Texas for the coveted No. 2 ranking in the latest BCS standings released Sunday.

By virtue of their higher BCS spot, the Sooners (11-1) won a three-way tiebreaker for the Big 12 South Division crown and gained a berth in the conference’s title game next weekend against Missouri.

Oklahoma has a score of .935, just ahead of Texas (11-1) at .922.

Bottom line is this … three teams tied for the Big 12 South championship. Three. That tie is being broken in a manner that best maximizes a system, whether it's flawed or not, that determines college football's highest honor.

Here's to hoping that the process can play out with professionalism and the high road still intact.

Jesus if you are listening ... please for Christmas could I get a Sooners win in the BCS Championship game. If a win is too much to ask for Jesus maybe you could make sure that the Sooners keep the game competitive. Thanks, and that was a pretty funny sign you had flown by the Texas administration building the other day.

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops stands to receive a $250,000 bonus if the second-ranked Sooners beat Florida in the BCS Championship Game.

Stoops' contract calls for him to get $150,000 for leading the Sooners to the BCS title game, and an additional $100,000 for a win. Oklahoma (12-1) will face top-ranked Florida (12-1) in Miami on Jan. 8.

Stoops has already earned an $80,000 bonus for winning the Big 12 title and another $30,000 for being selected the conference's Coach of the Year. He shared that honor with Texas Tech's Mike Leach. Stoops' contract also calls for a $75,000 bonus if the Sooners finish in the top 10 in the BCS.

Stoops also will collect a $3 million bonus for finishing 10 seasons with Oklahoma.

Good for OU! Who tries to lure a "stud athlete" with naked women, and stretch limo's? That is so played out. Better luck next time Texas!

No way that story could be true. Longhorn Mike says Texas is the Harvard of the SW! Harvard would never do that, no way.

He described the atmosphere as pleasant and added: “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.”

Will Muschamp, the team’s defensive coordinator and designated head coach-in-waiting, called until Adams finally talked to him at her son’s request. He tried to patch things up about the earlier phone call in which she was told she could not talk to Brown. He also explained that Texas had probably sent more letters and e-mail messages to her than to any other recruit’s parent.“He was acting like he was doing me a favor,” Adams said. “You’re recruiting my son. I feel sorry for them if they’re saying they haven’t had that much interaction with any other recruit’s family. I feel sorry for those families. I really do.”

Users who are viewing this thread