What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (3 Viewers)

It's almost official! Bradford is coming back!

Link
Good News! Bradford can always get an insurance policy through Lloyds of London to cover him in case of an injury.
Gresham coming back too!!!!!!!! Here is my take on the O-line for next year. A lot of guessing at this point but if anyone has anything to add or correct here please do so:

It won't be as good as this year but Trent Williams returns and he'll move to LT and we have a JC transfer to play on the right side right away. Brian Williams will be one of the guards and Massie a 4 star recruit will get time at a tackle position. Ben Habern was the #4 Center at Scout.com last year and he will likely start at center and they have a lot of other guys to fill the guard spots. It'll take time to gell but by midseason next year they are gonna be very good.

They will get ranked teams in their first two games though, including a trip back to Miami to play the Canes.
From local writers and personalities:Trent Williams will move to LT, as you said. Jarvis Jones should take over at RT. Guards should be Brian Simmons, who played quite a bit at both guard positions, and Stephen Good, who was a five-star recruit last year according to Rivals. Center is expected to be a battle between Ben Habern and Jason Hannan.

Of course, we still have a long ways to go. Travis Lewis was thought to be a third-team LB at this time last year, so you never know what's really going to happen.

Also, the Miami game is still unsettled and some are speculating that it may fall through.

Gresham staying is huge.Who's going to play opposite Broyles at WR?
Open competition amongst senior Adron Tennell, junior Brandon Caleb and hotshot sophomores Jameel Owens and Dejuan Miller. There's also talk that OU will keep Broyles where he is and use two of the above four at x and z.On little more than a hunch, I'm going to guess Tennell plays x and Broyles plays z in the standard set. Tennell is a helluva blocker for a WR.Of course, there's the Reuben Randle stuff floating out there. For the past couple months, unsubstantiated rumors have claimed that Bradford promised Randle that he would be back in 2009 and told him that they'd set records together. We'll see.

Starting to really worry about WR (moreso for 2010 I guess), especially with ol whats his face from Wichita Falls switching to Tech. Randle is a pipe-dream, not gonna happen. I'm utterly shocked that Gresham is coming back, thought he was a goner for sure. I'd like to see the Muskogee kid (Owens) play some at WR next year. Glad Williams is coming back as well, thought he would take the money and go.

NORMAN, Okla. -- On his way to the Heisman Trophy, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford rarely was concerned about his well-being when he dropped back to pass.

With an experienced, mammoth front line in front of him, Bradford was hardly touched by opposing defenders as he threw for 4,720 yards and 50 touchdowns. In 14 games, the Sooners allowed only 13 sacks -- one every 37 pass attempts.

It could take some time to forge a new unit that's as capable of protecting Bradford as the Sooners try to make another run to the BCS championship game -- and come away successful this time.

Sooners coach Bob Stoops called out his young offensive line Tuesday at the start of spring practice, using the kind of criticism he rarely aims at his own players.

"Whether it's their work ethic, their attitude, those kinds of things need to improve," Stoops said. "They haven't had the winter everybody else has had. They right now are the weak link of the team and we'll see if they can respond and have any kind of a spring and summer to help us be a team that can contend for a Big 12 championship.

"They'll be a big part of whether we will or will not depending on their attitude, workout habits, those kinds of things if we'll be able to do it. They've been very inconsistent that way in how they work and their toughness and discipline."

All-American guard Duke Robinson, all-Big 12 tackle Phil Loadholt, all-conference center Jon Cooper and guard Brandon Walker are gone from the starting five, and top reserve Branndon Braxton's career is also done after his senior year.

Tackle Trent Williams is the only starter back from the line that gave up fewer sacks than all teams other than run-heavy Navy and Air Force. Among those trying to fill the gaps -- or create them for Oklahoma's running backs -- will be LSU transfer Jarvis Jones and Stephen Good, who was chosen to play in the U.S. Army All-American high-school All-Star game.

But Stoops called the O-line a major issue that the Sooners need to address leading up to the April 11 spring game.

"Just coming to work every day, having a tough attitude, having some discipline to do the things you're supposed to do on the field and off. To this point, they haven't done that," Stoops said.

Several Sooners starters will be out for the spring sessions, including running back DeMarco Murray (hamstring), linebacker Ryan Reynolds (knee), defensive tackle Demarcus Granger (back) and defensive end Auston English (knee).

Stoops also doesn't expect Bradford, tailback Chris Brown or tight end Jermaine Gresham to take any contact to reduce the possibility of getting them hurt, too.
:excited:

NORMAN, Okla. -- On his way to the Heisman Trophy, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford rarely was concerned about his well-being when he dropped back to pass.

With an experienced, mammoth front line in front of him, Bradford was hardly touched by opposing defenders as he threw for 4,720 yards and 50 touchdowns. In 14 games, the Sooners allowed only 13 sacks -- one every 37 pass attempts.

It could take some time to forge a new unit that's as capable of protecting Bradford as the Sooners try to make another run to the BCS championship game -- and come away successful this time.

Sooners coach Bob Stoops called out his young offensive line Tuesday at the start of spring practice, using the kind of criticism he rarely aims at his own players.

"Whether it's their work ethic, their attitude, those kinds of things need to improve," Stoops said. "They haven't had the winter everybody else has had. They right now are the weak link of the team and we'll see if they can respond and have any kind of a spring and summer to help us be a team that can contend for a Big 12 championship.

"They'll be a big part of whether we will or will not depending on their attitude, workout habits, those kinds of things if we'll be able to do it. They've been very inconsistent that way in how they work and their toughness and discipline."

All-American guard Duke Robinson, all-Big 12 tackle Phil Loadholt, all-conference center Jon Cooper and guard Brandon Walker are gone from the starting five, and top reserve Branndon Braxton's career is also done after his senior year.

Tackle Trent Williams is the only starter back from the line that gave up fewer sacks than all teams other than run-heavy Navy and Air Force. Among those trying to fill the gaps -- or create them for Oklahoma's running backs -- will be LSU transfer Jarvis Jones and Stephen Good, who was chosen to play in the U.S. Army All-American high-school All-Star game.

But Stoops called the O-line a major issue that the Sooners need to address leading up to the April 11 spring game.

"Just coming to work every day, having a tough attitude, having some discipline to do the things you're supposed to do on the field and off. To this point, they haven't done that," Stoops said.

Several Sooners starters will be out for the spring sessions, including running back DeMarco Murray (hamstring), linebacker Ryan Reynolds (knee), defensive tackle Demarcus Granger (back) and defensive end Auston English (knee).

Stoops also doesn't expect Bradford, tailback Chris Brown or tight end Jermaine Gresham to take any contact to reduce the possibility of getting them hurt, too.
:boxing:
I guess we're going to find out exactly how good Bradford is.

:popcorn:
Just a :yawn: .eta. lol, guess the mods got tired of the Tatum Bell thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Gresham, lots of new lineman, and a tough opponent on a neutral field. I can't believe they are favored by 3+ TDs, but I hope the oddsmakers have this one pegged.

Love college football season, going to two games this year including the Red River Shootout. :shrug:

BOOMER!

Would like to see them run the ball a lot early tonight. This defense should be exponentially better than it was a year ago, at least I hope it will be.

Sup Jerryworld. :(

Like to see OU come out put up big numbers and rest the starters. Get some backups some game time. Also, I would like to see the other game on TV in an hour.

Well Sam took a pretty good hit to his throwing arm, and looks like he may miss some playing time. Not such a great start to the season.

Jesus wept...OU looks like CRAP!!! Maybe this is why teams schedule easy games to start a season.
Teams who play games like this are better off for it in the end IMO. All the offensive penalties and the terrible line play are worrisome though. Even with Bradford they didn't look too hot but they obviously will get better through these first few weeks. This would be a big win though if they can hold on.

Even accounting for Bradford's injury, I've come away impressed by BYU, especially on defense.

WOW, it looks like a long season for OU fans. The upside is that I don't have to worry about a NC game, maybe just a normal bowl. I can always pull for the BIG 12 I guess?

Just a bit outside.
He was even talking #### in the huddle during the timeout. He's never hit a FG in a game longer than 47 yards, and this is his first college FG attempt. To me you got to run some sort of trick play, hook and ladder, whatever, and get that first down. You'd think they'd have learned something from Boise State.

WOW, it looks like a long season for OU fans. The upside is that I don't have to worry about a NC game, maybe just a normal bowl. I can always pull for the BIG 12 I guess?
Last year after the Texas game you said...
MODS please remove my thread, as I said earlier in the season ... every team should have a thread, but when that team loses the thread should be deleted.Thanks.
:no:

Last year after the Texas game you said...
MODS please remove my thread, as I said earlier in the season ... every team should have a thread, but when that team loses the thread should be deleted.Thanks.
:no:
we shall see, I could only hope that this team somehow comes back and makes a run at the BIG 12 Championship.

Dangit... I was really looking forward to KU being the first team to beat the Sooners this season! :no:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!! I hope Bradford is okay...that would be a tough break from him and the team.

Really hard to believe Stoops didn't try to get the 1st down there.
On a 4th and 16 with a freshman qb? That kick was pretty close, I think it probably was the right call. If they hadn't have had crappy red zone play calling and that penalty on 4th and goal from the one they never would have been in that position. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't.
Hook'em Horns!
OU doesn't play 4 non conference cream puffs. If OU beats Texas, they'll be ranked higher the following day. That was not a bad loss at all given the variables and it happened the first game of the season. Unlike Shiznitt (gb him though) I am not ready to give up on the season after one game.

Credit to OU (and VT, Bama) for scheduling a game like this. Florida went out and played Charleston f'n Southern.

Credit to OU (and VT, Bama) for scheduling a game like this. Florida went out and played Charleston f'n Southern.
Impressive debut. :thumbup:
I just don't understand the point of those games. They have to be boring to sit through for even the most loyal fans, the players really get nothing out of it, and it doesn't impress any pollsters. FSU annually beats up on the Citadel as well. Went a few years back and left mid-way through the first half. Just made no sense to sit there and watch them hang 70 on a bunch of slow white kids.

Impressive debut. :thumbup:
I just don't understand the point of those games. They have to be boring to sit through for even the most loyal fans, the players really get nothing out of it, and it doesn't impress any pollsters. FSU annually beats up on the Citadel as well. Went a few years back and left mid-way through the first half. Just made no sense to sit there and watch them hang 70 on a bunch of slow white kids.
I recall seeing a game back in 97-98 or so where UF played Central Michigan and won 84-6 or something absurd. This is back when Spurrier would just beat any patsy senseless just to rack up stats. I seem to recall track star Bo Carroll (!) going off for 4 TDs or something. Guy probably had no TDs after that game.I've never understood it either. It does nothing for you.

Really hard to believe Stoops didn't try to get the 1st down there.
On a 4th and 16 with a freshman qb? That kick was pretty close, I think it probably was the right call. If they hadn't have had crappy red zone play calling and that penalty on 4th and goal from the one they never would have been in that position. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't.
Hook'em Horns!
OU doesn't play 4 non conference cream puffs. If OU beats Texas, they'll be ranked higher the following day. That was not a bad loss at all given the variables and it happened the first game of the season. Unlike Shiznitt (gb him though) I am not ready to give up on the season after one game.
For OU, it's a bad loss if you want the possibility of a repeat of last year's scenario of getting to the B12CG.Anyway...here's to wishing Sam a speedy recovery...we want him well for Dallas.

That kick was pretty close
It was pretty obviously missing left as soon as it left his foot and it landed a good yard short of the end line. Yeah...close.Dude's career long is 42 in college, 47 in HS. I gotta try something to get closer and get a new set of downs, run down the clock, and kick the GWFG.

ETA: Looking at the side view, it MIGHT have had the leg to clear 49-50 yards, but it was still wide.

Joe Schad reporting on ESPNews that surgery has not been ruled out as an option for Sam Bradford....and that the docs still don't know the severity/grade of the sprain. It may be a day or two before they do.

Joe Schad reporting on ESPNews that surgery has not been ruled out as an option for Sam Bradford....and that the docs still don't know the severity/grade of the sprain. It may be a day or two before they do.
Of course nothing has been ruled out, no one really knows at this point how bad the "sprain" is until further testing is done.

Of course nothing has been ruled out, no one really knows at this point how bad the "sprain" is until further testing is done.
Joey falls off his bike and bumps his headER Doctor: It doesn't seem serious but we are going to hold him over night as a precaution.

Texas fan standing in the waiting room: I wouldn't rule out brain surgery.

Sooner in waiting room: Yours or his?

Users who are viewing this thread